Exercise & Fitness Community
Belly button Hernia?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Belly button Hernia?

I went jogging (2.5 miles), did 30 sit ups, didn't notice anything until the next morning. I had very sharp pains in my stomach, I just assumed I pulled a muscle, now I am noticing a bump that was not there, a soft bump. in my belly button. I think I gave myself a hernia. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I can't find anything about it online. Im scared to work my stomach now, I dont want to do any permanent damage.
Yes, I had an umbilical hernia -- and it is very important that you get into the doctor and have it evaluated.  Sometimes, a hernia can cause strangulation of the bowel, which can eventually kill you, if not appropriately treated.  I had three of them (one umbilical, and two by the testicals).  

Usually, surgery is the primary method of fixing a hernia and it usually costs around $15,000+ to have it fixed.  If you don't have the money to have it fixed, by all means, if you are a US Citizen, check with your local Department of Economic Security (DES) and see if their health insurance program can help you.  In my case, I was a college student (with little money) and they were my only option at the time.  I couldn't work, because the pain was disabling and the hernia was starting to strangle the bowel.

Hope this helps,

Dusty
YES.. I did the same to myself while about 25wks pregnant we were moving and I knew I was sore and felt like I had done too much.. and went to my doctor.. seriously he pushed the darn things back in and that HURT big time and now my son is almost a year old and they are back and hurt like hell.. but was told since I am a woman the surgery is not as easy as for men.. any suggestions
I am a woman,I had an umbilical hernia and my doctors told me nothing like that, they got me into surgery with in a week. Hope all is well, and they have got you fixed up..
im 17, exercise evreyday and everynight (dancing).
recently about a month again i noticed a lump appear on the right side of my belly button.
i ignored it as i thought it was a knot in my stomach, but today my belly button has changed, it has been pulled up and really hurts.
i havent come on my period either, but ive taken a test and im not pregant.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

You can stop exerting yourself from intense exercise and only do mild walks till properly diagnosed.

You can also make sure if these are not premenstrual symptoms.

Hernias can occur in this area of weakness at any time from birth through late adulthood. As the weakness progressively bulges and opens, abdominal contents are permitted to protrude through. In addition to the navel deformity and an associated bulge, the signs and symptoms include pain at or near the navel area.

It can also be due to endometriosis or any infection, block or strangulation in the intestine which can show up as a pain and bulge in the region of umbilicus or surrounding it.

I would suggest you to go for an ultrasound and follow up with a gastroenterologist for diagnosing it properly and if required go for the surgery.

Take care!
I have been told I have a belly button hernia what is the surgery
and recovery time is this a simple general surgery outpatient
operation
concerned
roy
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

In adults, a belly button hernia appears as a result of strain. Umbilical hernias as it is called in adults occur more often in pregnant women and obese persons with weak abdominal muscles.

If you are not in pain, the hernia repair is not an emergency and you can plan the repair with your surgeon accordingly.

Aftercare will depend in part on the invasiveness of the surgery, whether laparoscopic or open, the type of anesthesia, your age, and your general medical condition. Your recovery will be brisk and you would need to take future care in weight management only if you are obese and all other necessary precautions.

Take care!
I went in for a tummy tuck consult and was told that I have a belly button hernia most likely from last pregnancy.  I'm 5'1 and 130 lbs.  I work out everyday w/weights and also do cardio.  I'm a runner and I don't have any pain and wonder if I could keep running 5k's, 1/2 marathons, etc. until it starts bothering me?  What are the normal symptoms besides pain, which I obviously don't have.  What are the risks if I do keep training/running.  Please let me know.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

You can do jogging but not exert in running or sprinting.

You can also walk and do exercises in sitting and sleeping postures which you can learn from a physiotherapist.

Avoid any form of exercise which increases abdominal pressure as this may likely contribute in increasing your hernia further.
The corrective surgery depends on the amount of hernia you are suffering, consult a surgeon.

Take care!
I have a hernaited belly button or umbilical hernia wat ever u call it! I'm
worried it will get worse if I exercise my abs more! Does anyone know if it will make it's appearance worse??? I've had it two Years it's never caused me any pain does this mean I don't need an operation on it??? Thanks in advance
Please reply to my post thanks
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

If it is a small hernia and is reducible and if there is no obstruction then you can delay your surgery.

I would suggest you to avoid abdominal exercises and all activities which cause increase in abdominal pressure.

Surgical correction is the only method to correct this so you can go for elective surgical correction after discussing with your surgeon.

Take care!
Thank you x
Just wanted to add my hernia just looks like a normal outie belly button does this mean it's only a small hernia?! I'm also very slim and active will this make any difference to whether I need surgery? Sorry for all the questions I'm
just worried now I'd never heard of strangulation as I was never told about that? I think I will go and see my gp! I'm from England so I would have to be referred by a doctor I'm not sure if this is an American site or not? Thanks again
???????????????
a year ago, I had abdominal swelling after dinner. I did sit-ups on an excersise ball right after dinner in a panic, and out poped a lump above my belly button.  I went to my primary physician's office and the Dr on call said it is a hernia, and because I am not in pain, she didnt think a surgeon would opperate, but she would still refer me.  I opted not to go. I am currently having the swelling after eating, and as the day progresses it gets larger. As I told the Dr. I look as if I am pregnant. There is pain and discomfort now, unlike a year ago. I just read you can die from this, now I am scared. I have only Mainecare and am not sure if they will cover this type of issue
i just found out i have a hernia on my belly button.I guess ive had it for months and hadn't realized it  it doesn't hurt and my doctor said there's nothing they can do about it because its small and painless. The doc said to go about my regular routine. I'm worried because this contradicts everything it says online. i was told i could still go to the gym and lift and jog like normal. what do i do?
I have had severe pains in my stomach about 2 inches above belly button and in the course of trying to find the cause, I was told I have an umbilical hernia.  There is no pain where the hernia is located and it does not protrude either.  I was told that it is small.  The results of the CT and upper GI, other than the hernia, are all clean.  The pain comes at random times, including in the middle of night, but usually occurs after eating (anything) and I also get nausea.  The pain is intense for about 1-2 hours, then subsides.  Could this hernia actually be the cause?  I am about 15 pounds overwieght and have been excersing, is this okay?  The doctor does not recommend surgery at this time since I have no pain at the site.
I have a  Umbilical hernia  that is causing an aching pain. Is this dangerous? what can i do for the pain until i can get into the doctor?  
I have had an umbilical hernia, I had surgery about 3yrs ago & now I'm afraid its starting to come back. My belly area is swelling up a bit & above belly button is getting a little hard when I lay down you can feel something moving around in my belly button. Is it possible for this to come back? oh & I'm starting to get constipated alot again. What should I do?? DVN
Had to have my gallbladder removed laparoscopically. Was told at examination that I had an umbilical hernia. Never bothered me. The surgeon repaired the hernia after removing the gallbladder. I have a significant amount of bruising around the belly button that appeared a day after surgery & is turning bruise colored now. Is this considered Cullens Sign? Is this normal after repair?
I have had a hernia for 6-7 years above my belly button. my doctor said that it was to small to do anything about it and if i get pain or it gets bigger to come see him. It started getting painfull and growing just recently. I have an appointment to see a specialist on december 13. I am a personal trainer and I resistance train on a daily basis. I was wondering if i should stop lifting untill taken care of or just keep doing what i am doing untill I get it removed. What is the worst that can happem?
I saw my regular doctor about abdominal pains and chest pains with an added zyphoid process inflammation and poked out belly button.. He said that I have an umbilical hernia but not a serious one.. But didn't do an ultrasonic. He also prescribed what I'm told is the best acid indigestion medication available. I feel like the medication helps with the chest pain and sometimes with the zyphoid process inflammation but the abdominal pain isn't changing. I am a 32 year old male 5'10" 220 lbs. so I'm alittle overweight but wouldn't call myself obese by any means.. Do I need to see another doctor because it seem to me that he isn't really trying to help with the pain that I think the hernia is causing. I havnt got insurance because I have too many children and am the only income in the household so I can afford to keep going back to see him. Any ideas?
Can't afford I meant.
Well Blackollar I would like to believe you are a responsible person and since you are the families only bread winner would take it upon yourself to do a little self educating.  I am not a physician and can not speak to the procedures of invasive surgery but there is a vast amount you should be able to do on your own.  Perhaps you could browse the self-help section of your local library for assistance in natural healing techniques or begin an inexpensive natural healing course offered online or through your local community center. There is a wide variety of homopathic natural healing books, sites and references .. such as Dr. Mom by Sandra Livingston Ellis a Master Herbalist or Dr John R Christopher .. If you wish to go with the Institutional answer best speak to your Doctor and get your cash ready
I am a 37 year old woman. I am obese, I have had a hernia repair. It has came back to the point where it is the size of a softball. It has started hurting me a lot lately. I don't know what to do. It hurts to even touch my stomach there.
Hi I'm John

I have had a hernia for a while. I got it by being a guy bouncing my kid in his stroller 15 years ago.  My mom had bad hernias fixed repeatedly.  I have come to believe that relieving intestinal irritation takes the weight of the hernia.  
now the trick, no wheat or GMO foods.  They rob the body of manganese a mineral needed to maintain connective tissue and blood gas exchange in the lungs.  When I am good I have very little pressure on me hernia.  free rascals in the diet also cause intestinal irritation and swelling pushing on my hernia.  Fixing a hernia without properly supping dense nutrition and avoiding things that cause poor nutrition absorption (unless the bowl is obstructed) is just paying the doctor for a $15,000 band-aid.  As of late I have gone Naturopathic instead of Allopathic in my health concerns Joel Wallach is a good name to research.
Oh I forgot to mention I have tipped the scales over 350 my self.