Exercise & Fitness Community
Broken Foot

Take charge of your health by joining others like you. Ask a question, join a conversation, get tips: fitness, nutrition, and management tools / trackers.

Broken Foot

I broke my foot over 4 months ago. I broke my 2nd,3rd, and 4th metatarsal. I also broke the cuboid and cuneiform. I was in a plaster cast for 12 weeks and a walking boot for 4 weeks. I have a limp still, it is very painful, and I'm attending physical therapy. I was just looking for a second opinion on 1. When I will be able to run 2. When I can play contact sports (rugby, because I know my doctor doesn't want me to play) 3. Ridiculously enough-when can I wear heels?!
It takes a few weeks to get rid of the limp. Make sure you don't start running to early or you will inevitably end up injuring some other part of our body as you compensate for the limp. So, first make
sure you can walk without a limp. Then slowly start running on it. After that I would try the heels and finally back to contact sports.
Take your time so that you fully recover.
Avatar n tn
Hi.

As there is still pain and a limp when you walk, it wouldn't be advisable to do any activity that would aggravate your symptoms. It would be difficult to say right now when you would be able to run and play contact sports again. Even if the pain and limp would resolve, there is no certainty that the bones in your foot have healed adequately until an X-ray is done. This also goes for wearing heels.

I would suggest that you consult your orthopedist who can do an X-ray and evaluate your condition to determine if the foot is healing properly. He/she will also be able to determine when you would most likely be able to do those things you mentioned based on the clinical evaluation.

Hope this answers your queries.
Avatar n tn
What is best solution for broken foot? Been wearing a boot that comes up to my knee. Dr. took it off after 6 weeks and had me to get a special shoe. I wore it home from the shoe store and it started hurting real bad when I stand on it. Does anyone have suggestions.
Cora
Avatar n tn
I was put in a boot to my knee when the Dr. found that I had 5 broken bones in my foot.Do you know of any other kind of boot that does not come to the knee. The boot feels better than the shoe he told me to buy (the shoe hurts when I stand on it.
Thanks for help.
Avatar dr m tn
As you have broken bones in your foot, you have to understand that there are extensor tendons and flexon tendons and peroneal tendons which run along the lower leg to get inserted into the bones of the foot the immobilisation is important for recovery. So this boot was advised by the orthopaedician. the Orthopaedician is the best person to agree for the shorter boot depending on the damage you have sustained to the bones of the foot, so follow your Physician for a good recovery. Take care!
KeeLolo commented on KeeLolo's status
37 mins ago
KeeLolo commented on veronica0808's status
specialmom commented on specialmom's status
Jun 30
Achieve your weight goals
Exercise Tracker
Make exercise part of your routine