Exercise & Fitness Community
Bruised Knee(?) & Running

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Bruised Knee(?) & Running

I fell on some ice last week and scraped up my knee but it didn't seem too bad. Later that night the inside of my left knee was very sensitive to the touch and I had difficulty finding a sleeping position that wasn't painful. Since then the sensitive area is smaller but is still very sensitive. It is very sensitive on the bony area to the right of my knee cap.

I bumped it, I think mildly, with my office chair a short while ago and the pain was very great. Some movements hurt a little, typically sideways motions. Yet running not only does not hurt I actually feel better running then other activities, including just sitting! My guess has been a bone bruise, but I am concerned about what else it might be.

Is there any problem with continuing to run if it doesn't give me pain? Is there any way to tell if it is more serious than a bruise?  
How are you feeling?
I would like to know where your knee pains the most if you have to point out with index finger.
If you give little detail regarding your symptomatology it will helpful in discussing further.
Do you experience any grinding, locking, catching, or giving way of the knee?
Are there any positions that make your knee more or less comfortable?
What is the quality of your pain (sharp, shooting, dull, etc.)?
Have you tried anything to help the pain and, if yes, has that been successful?
Have you ever had surgery on your knee? Do you have any hip or ankle pain?
Keep me informed.
Bye.

I recently took up jogging and am currently training for a half marathon.  I started noticing that after running for 3 to 5 miles, I get bruises on my knee (the left knee has darker / larger bruise than the right knee).  The bruises only hurt like a bruise when I press down on them.  But they are not particularly painful when I walk or run the next day.  I run about twice to 3 times a week.

Question: Is this someting that I need to pay more attention to or is there any knee exercises that I can do?

Thank you!!