Exercise & Fitness Community
Bruised chest

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Bruised chest

Well to start the story I am underweight due to my being sick with a mixture of IBS and anxiety the past three years. So I am 19 years old and 6' 4" 142 lbs. No pec muscles do to my anxiety keeping me from going out of the house the past few years. I'm allergic to milk so I don't get the calcium I should. Now we found my dog dead this morning and when I saw my brother I blamed him for letting him out to get hit by a car. And when i did he pushed me down and I got up in a rage and went to punch him. My dad pulled us apart and some where in the shuffle I got punched square in the chest/sternum on the left side and since my chest has been hurting. When I rub a certain location I cause more pain that feels like a bruise right in between two ribs. I took an Advil and it hasn't really touched the pain. Should I be worried? Is it safe to try to sleep?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Go for an X-ray and rule out any fractures of your ribs.

Apply ice packs and continue taking advil. Do not get agitated because increase in inspiration and expiration will cause more pain in your chest. Stay calm and take suitable rest and follow up with an orthopedician if you have any complications.

Take care!