Calcific tendonitis pain
Has anyone had calcific tendonitis and found some relief for it?  I have had it for over 3 years now and it is very painful.  I cannot sleep at night as it hurts to lay on my arm and during the day, I have a hard time as well.  Certain movements cause excrutiating pain.  I have been unable to find relief for it.  I was told that surgery does not always help the problem either so is used as a last resort.  Please help!
Hi! My sister has calcific tendonitis and is in great pain. Have you been able to find any effective treatment/cure? What is the feedback on relief after surgery? Thanks

Calcified tendonitis is not caused by increased intake of calcium and the blood calcium levels are normal in such patients. So calcium restriction will not help.
Other conservative treatment options include mild NSAIDS, ice therapy, cortisone injections in the shoulder for pain relief.
Sometimes the deposits are broken down with a hypodermic needle and sucked out with a syringe.
A large calcium deposit has to be removed by arthroscopic surgery as conservative measures generally do not work in these cases.

have just h ad surgery for calcific tendonitus, and although only one week out of surgery, pain now is much less than before surgery, obviously some healing time is necessary, as it does involve a tendon so i am hopeful that full recovery is not far off with exercises recommended by the doctor. will keep you informed on my progress . sympathetic friend
I had calcific tendinitis in my left leg below the hip last year, it was very painful, more so at night when I was in bed. Ibuprofen helped ease the pain a bit, but thankfully after a few months it disappeared. However, I soon started getting pain in the other leg  on the hip area, and my GP told me it was arthritis! I didn't believe this so when I saw my consultant again he sent me for an x-ray and later MRI and CT scans. He said that it is the same as last time so I am hoping that in time it will disappear too!
I have read on the internet about Extracorporeal shockwave therapy which has been effective. Is it available on the NHS? Jennie
I have had calcific tendinitis for the last few months now in my right shoulder. I had my shoulder x-rayed and results showed I have large calcific deposits on the supraspinatus tendon. I also have a large calcium deposit adjacent to the AC joint. My GP is referring me to an Orthopaedic specialist. I find it can be quite painful at night. I am on 50 mg of Difene twice daily. I also rub Etoflam gel on twice a day. Do you think barbotage/lavage will work to clear my condition or will I need arthroscopic surgery? Regarding the Difene I was prescribed to take it 3 times a day. Do you think I should take the recommended dose?