Exercise & Fitness Community
Calf Muscle only hurts when walking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Calf Muscle only hurts when walking

ok this is for my husband. . and me :)  For the last few weeks he has had major calf aches only when he walks.  If he is sitting,  driving, or when he lays down he is fine.  However once he stands to walk the pain hits and gets worse the larger his strides are.  He was almost in tears the other day his calf on left leg was hurting him so bad. He says it is a really bad ache.   I say go to dr but he keeps putting it off.  Maybe if somebody can help me with what this is and what could happen if left untreated or how to get treatment ...  he will listen.  
Tags: calf muscles, Pain, help me
It could be many things but there is one serious condition that this could be and means he should see a doctor straight away (PAD). I don't want to scare you as it could just be muscular but there is also a chance this is related to circulation and heart function so that needs to be eliminated.

Even if it is muscular, there's no need to suffer so much. There will be treatments available.

Take care.
Avatar_dr_m_tn

As he is only getting symptoms on the left leg it might be a muscle sprain or a strain. There are 2 chief muscles in the calf called gastrocnemius and soleus. With standing and walking his weight is being transferred to his calves and he is experiencing this pain and he is wincing.

If there is some cardiac problem then both of his legs would suffer. Anyways it is good to get his vitals checked and also his blood sugar and blood pressure measured and it is healthy to maintain a normal BMI.

Apply ice packs, ask him to take anti inflammatory drugs and also ample rest and if it does not help he should consider going to an orthopedician.

Take care!
Look up 'Intermitant claudication'
I take 1 x Magnesium tab per day
I take  1 x vein vine  tab per day (Must be taken for 6 wees before any noticable effects.
http://www.healthspan.co.uk/anti-ageing/vein-vine/productdetail-p423-c156.aspx.

This has and is helping me and the pain is so much less than before.Thanks -Ray
6 weeks not 6 wees on my previous post*sorry