Exercise & Fitness Community
Chest Pain/Trouble Breathing After Workout 8 Days Ago

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Hello All,

I've scoured the internet for answers, and many people say different things. So, just to give you all an idea of my issue, here is my story:

Last Monday (About 8-9 days ago) I was doing a Chest/Tricep workout. I've been exercising for over a year and a half to two years by now and I've never had any issues. Anyway, I generally train for muscular hypertrophy, whereas this day I was starting my fat loss mesocycle. Due to this, I was using slightly lower weights and doing higher repetitions.

Anyway, so I did the following routine, 4 sets each of about 12-15ish repetitions:
*Dumbbell Bench Press
*Dumbbell Flyes (Flat)
*Incline Dumbbell Bench Press
*Tricep Pushdowns (V-Bar)
*Tricep Reverse Grip Pushdowns (Unilateral)
*Some other tricep exercise... I forget what
*Oblique Crunches
*Elliptical (Warm-Up and Cooldown, 5 min. each)

That's not in order, but the reverse grip tricep pushdowns were my last exercise to do. It was very light weight, so I shouldn't have had any issues. I found myself getting very winded very fast. There was no pain the entire workout, aside from the usual burning sensation from weight training from lactic acid build-up at higher repetitions. Regardless, during this last tricep exercise I was getting winded fast, so I finished up and hit the elliptical to cool down for 5 minutes. 3 minutes in and I got very winded, to the point where I hunched over just to breathe.

Afterwards, I threw on my bag (The strap crosses over my shoulder and my chest) and went upstairs... The strap seemed to aggravate my chest, and breathing become a bit tedious again. I thought it was my hiatal hernia acting up at the time, so I went home and took my Famotidine  and rested.

Tuesday was ok, didn't feel much pain aside from some Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness.

Wednesday it hit me at work. I was leaning over reading on my computer when all of a sudden my chest tightened on my left side. It hurt pretty bad, but I had gotten cardiovascular testing done not too long ago, and my heart is great. Breathing became difficult -- moreso than before, but I fought it.

I went to the doctor that night and saw the physician's assistant, whom wasn't very helpful (Never is, but I was desperate since my doctor is off Wednesdays). She said it wasn't my heart (They can an EKG) and probably inflammation. Take Ibuprofen 2x-3x a day and rest. I brought up the idea of costochondritis (Basically inflammation of the chest tendons and whatnot), and she said it could take 1-2 weeks to settle down.

I asked some doctors on Health Tap, and they said it may be a strained pectoral muscle. I was advised to rest it and take Ibuprofen. Ice/heat, too.

The thing is, it isn't always present. Sometimes I'll be walking around or sitting down and it'll flare up, making breathing difficult and giving me pain on my left side. Initially the pain was near my sternum on the left side, but now it seems to move around a bit. Two days ago it was on the lower portion of the rib cage (Still on the left side), whereas today it seems to be back in the middle and is also flaring near the anterior deltoid.

Is there something I am missing? I use good form when engaging in exercise and am a Certified Fitness Trainer. I've trained much, much harder in the past year... So it's weird that I'd be injured on a day I started using lighter weight. I really want to get back into the gym so I can be ready for a wedding this June.

As a rundown, here is what I've been doing so far as far as treatment:
*Ibuprofen 400mg-600mg 2x-3x a day.
*Flax Oil soft gels (1000mg 2x-3x a day. I've stopped this since it contains Omega 3, 6 and 9. I read online that Omega 3 helps with inflammation, whereas Omega 6 is pro-inflammatory).
*Plenty of rest. I went in the gym last Wednesday and did Back and Biceps, and last Friday I ran a mile, but that's it. I tried doing push-ups on my knees and felt some tension, so I stopped after the first set.
*Light stretching using that door frame stretch.
*Ice - I've been using ice packs 20-30 minutes at a time at least a few times a day.
*Heat - I've been heating my chest, too. Initially the heat seemed to help much more than the ice, but the other day it seemed to aggravate it... So now I just do whatever feels best at the time.
*Arnica Gel (Arnicare) - I picked this up yesterday. One of the doctors online suggested it. I don't really feel a difference after I use it, but I'll continue to try.

***Summary***
Avid exerciser (1.5-2 years), hurt myself 8-9 days ago doing a chest/tricep workout. No pain at the time, just trouble breathing a bit, but it subsides. Random flares on the left side of the sternum in different areas (Moves vertically, or hits different spots simultaneously). Been icing/heating, popping ibuprofen, resting, light stretching a few times a day). Has gotten a bit better, but still comes on pretty intensely. Heartwork was done late last year -- heart in good health. EKG ran at doctors last Wednesday -- came out good.

I also have a hiatal hernia/GERD (on Famotidine), am on Adderall (adderrall) (20mg 2x a day [I usually don't take this much, usually just the one 20mg at lunch]), Xanax at night or as needed.

Supplementation I take: Whey Protein, Casein Protein, Branched-Chain Amino Acid powder, Flax Oil (Not taking it now), Vitamin D, Creatine Monohydrate (Sometimes).

Any help is appreciated.