Exercise & Fitness Community
Chronically sore and stiff thigh muscles
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Chronically sore and stiff thigh muscles

Hi!

I am 45 years old guy who have been training and competeing my whole life, running, biking and cross country skiing. For the last 10 years I have been exersicing 3-5 times a week.

For the last 2 years, however, I have had a serious problem: my thigh muscles are chronically stiff and sore. In particular, the rectus femoris and vastus lateralis are sore. It feels as if I have just fininshed a hard session with uphill running, even when I just climb a few stairs. My performance is seriously reduced (on a 1 hour standard route I run through the forest, I will typically use at least 10 minutes more with the same effort). If I try to go jogging or skiing at an easy speed for more than one hour, the legs are as stiff as after a really though intervall exercise.

The explanintion I have been given is that I during the winter two and a half years ago have been exersicing too much, with too high intensity and too little variation. Thus the muscles are in a stage of "chronic fatigue" and in a "defence modus" contracting themselves even after very small amount of exercise. I have done all kinds of test, and there is nothing wrong with me in any other way. The diagonsis is simply "wrongfull training".

I have seriously changed my traning programme, including redcing the volume. But the problems wont go away. I have also tried accupucture, cross fiber massage, a strecthing program, but I am still far from having fresh legs.

On the one side I do believe that the diagnosis "wrongfull training" does makse sence, but on the other side I am not that sure. I have not been exercising that hard or that much, and why should it occur as suddenly as it did? Can there be any other physiological explanations?

I understand that my problems are not that uncommon, so hopefully someone can help me? Does anyone has an explanation and a proposal for treatment? It would really make my day :-)

Kind regards