Exercise & Fitness Community
Dieting and exercising and not losing weight - HELP!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Hello all!  I have been on a 1300 calorie diet since 1-9-06 (after finding that I've bulked up to 167 after the holidays - ouch!).  I am 35 and am 5'6.5" and am very active running after 2 small children all day.  

I did get down to 157 (yeah!) then I purchased an recumbent bicycle at the beginning of Feb.  Since then I have been biking off 500+ calories a DAY - per the digital readout on my bike.  

My problem - I'm not losing ANY weight...I've gained 2 pounds!!!  I did notice that my pants fit better and that I'm looking leaner but I still want to get back to 145 not bulk up with muscle!  

How do I get back to losing weight WHILE getting in more exercise?  I know I need to move more - that's why I got the bike - but I'm getting SOOOO frustrated now that the scale is going in the wrong direction.  

I hate to say this but being so frustrated has made me eat more; just a few binges, nothing major to put on 2 pounds, just enough to get back to about 1600-1700 calories 2 days in a row.

Any suggestions???  Please help!

Thanks!
KC
Don't be discouraged.  You've barely been doing this for 1 1/2 months.  I  believe they say it is healthy and safe to lose about 2 lbs. per week.  Right now you have hit a plateau.  Keep doing what your doing and I'm sure the weight will come off.  I wouldn't worry about gaining two pounds.  Contrary to what most believe you don't gain more muscle or lose fat.  The individual cells get bigger or smaller.  Each person has is genetically predisposed to have a certain number of cells.  But keep in mind that 1 lb. of fat burns only 3 calories at rest per day, while each pounds of muscle burns 15 calories per day at rest.  I don't believe you will bulk up buy doing cardio.  Good Luck!
Oh I also forgot to add this.  Don't worry too much about how many calories per day you are eating.  Sounds like you are stressing yourself out about it.  Just eat about 5 small healthy meals per day.  And you don't have to deprive yourself of things you enjoy,just eat them in moderation.  Usually when people deprive themselves they will end up binging and going back to their old ways.
Yes, keep at it. In my twenties, I became spoiled....able to eat anything I wanted, and remain slim.  Jogging was extremely effective.  However, things began to change in my 30's.   Yes, your genetic makeup will place limits on your rate and amount of weight loss as will age.  Don't be discouraged.  1 1/2 months is nothing.  If you can, periodically change the type of exercise you do.  Allegedly, the body adjusts to a particular exercise over time, thus reducing the rate of fat loss.  Also, consider the five meals per day plan.  I once scoffed at it, believing that it would only add weight.  A few years ago, though, an acquaintance began seeing a reputable "diet doctor" at one of the country's top hospitals.  He, of course, placed her on an exercise regimen.  He also had her eat a reasonable breakfast, then a small something (even if only a handful of popcorn) after 3 hours.  Eating something every three hours basically amounted to 5 meals a day.  Well, I was so disgusted about jogging but seeing little benefit, that I finally tried this method of eating.  I also reduced my excessive amount of calories, which you have done.  I DID see good results, and continue to eat in this manner.  My snack could be an apple and a handful of peanuts, etc.  By the way, in my opinion, it seems to be an unwritten rule that beginning in your 30's, the scale does not always accurately reflect weight loss.  You just might notice your clothes fitting looser, but the scale might remain unchanged.  Hang in there.
Hi, I can sooo relate. I have some suggestions.

As far as my "expertise" I was heavy growing up. I yo-yo'ed in high school from 125 to 180. In college I finally figured it all out and lost 48 pounds. This was back in 1973 when we were all just learning about the long term benefits of working out. Luckily I was in a modern dance class (instead of gym) and they taught us Pilates, so I did this every night and reduced calorie intake, and ate SMART...and, yes, the five meal a day thing is very helpful as it keeps your metabolism reved up and does not put you into "stravation mode".

I will say that my life changed in 1983 when I read "Fit or Fat?" by Covert Bailey. He is my hero. That book saved me and gave me hope and unbelievable success. It is well written and easy to understand. I started pulse-monitored aerobics (which can include using the bike)...I did more of a "dance in place" thing in my small apartment and just put on the TV or played my music. Luckily, I took my inches at the start of all this in two months I'd lost 18 inches from all over my body. When I started this process, I warmed up a bit...did 12 minutes of aerobics, and then cooled down for a few minutes...This routine was suggested in the book. I worked my way up to doing about 20 - 40 minutes, but if in a pinch, I would at least get in my 12 minutes. Some of the newer information reflects other ways to do this, but that is how I started, and the results were amazing.

Do take your inches....and, I mean ALL OVER...not just in three or four places. Record the inches on paper and check the inch loss in two weeks...then again in two weeks...etc. I read years ago that for every inch you lose, you lose a pound of fat. It just won't show up on the scale as you'd like. But, your body will change. How you use food for fuel will change. And, you will lose excess weight.

In Bailey's book "Smart Exercise" (I just ordered one for a friend from Ebay, as I am not sure if it is still in print, but I think you can order if from his website) he explains how long it takes the body to "kick in" and give you the results you are looking for if you have not worked out much in the past. Patience and consistency are the answers. Muscle does weigh more than fat, and you are replaceing fat with muscle, thus you have noticed that your clothes are fitting better.

Bailey explains how your bodies enzymes are changing due to the aeorbic acivity and that the fitter you get....the quicker you will see results. It will just take some time to get there. Don't give up. And, understanding all of this will help you be patient. I will say that when you see the results on the tape measure....WOW...what motivation.

WEll, I have kept it up all these years. I am almost 53 now. I have tried to do some sort of aerobic activity at least 5 days a week. People say I look like I am in my early 40's. I am the only one in my family who does not have diabetes. I have added weight training to my routines (all of this in my good old basement....with a mirror for proper form and body-awareness, and my blarring music). I had a surgical menopause in 2000 and had no idea of the fallout from that and I do many things to deal with it, but if I drop the exercise for any period of time.....I truly suffer.

This is great modeling for your kids, too. That is why your patience is also important. I used to tell my daughter (now 20) that I needed to work out because I just felt better...helped me get a few minutes to myself unless she really needed me....but, I didn't want to teach her that my self-esteem was based on the amount of weight I carried (I suffered internally with this due to my history of being a heavy child and teen, so I didn't want to pass this on to my kid). I have worked with kids with eating disorders...and, it breaks your heart when the 5 year olds come in and say, "I am fat." Grrrr.. But, to pass on the message of good health (with the benefit of looking your best anyway) is a gift to our kids.

Ok. Off the soapbox. Boy, can you tell I am passionate about all of this???? Good luck. I am off to my workout. Mary.
Hi Mary
I got so excited just reading your post. I am 40 years old and last year was my first time every going to a Gym environment,
YMCA. I have to say I loved it so much because it made me feel great mentally and physically. I weigh 140 and I am 5'6". I have a little pooch in my belly and to me my hips are a little big although my husband does not think so. What I think counts. I want to order that book that you were talking about. I love anything that talks about health and exercise.
MY QUESTION: I AM TRYING TO GET PREGNANT (YES AT 40) AND I DO NOT KNOW IF I AM PREGNANT OR NOT AT THIS TIME OF THE MONTH, BUT CAN I DO ALL THIS KIND OF EXERCISE WHILE I AM PREGNANT, (IN YOUR OPINION, THAT IS)
Hi, Sorry I have not responded. I usually hang out at the Ovarian cancer site (I know...I lead an exciting life!). But, gee, I would check with your doctor although I know you were just looking for opinions. Our only child is now 20 years old, but when I became pregnant at 32 I checked on this question and at that time (1984) the recommendation was that if you had been exercising using aerobics for a while and became pregnant then it was probably okay to continue. But, if you got pregnant and then started to take up a vigorous exercise program, well, that was frowned upon. Walking was always recommended.

I would say that the one thing to be careful of is that you don't want your inner body heat to rise too high. So, if you are inclined to use hot tubs, I would skip that. Again, I would check with the doctor. I have heard that it is not wise to have lots of hot water covering your body for lengths of time if you are pregnant.

I was so fatigued early in my pregnancy that I did not keep up with the aerobics. I breast fed our daughter for ten months and as soon as I was finished with that, I started to lose my "baby weight" and then I took an aerobics class a few times a week and supplemented this with aerobics at home. I was back in shape in a decent amount of time. I have been pretty faithful since then about keeping up my routine. It helps me keep up my energy. There are soooo many benefits. Some I had never ever thought of. Helps fight depression, keeps cholesterol and blood pressure in check, awesome and critical for bone strength.....do pick up one of Covert Bailey's books. He is the best. He has a website but he is retired now. You can get books through his site (you can do a google search and put in his name to find his site) or order on Ebay, or wherever. He is the best!

If you get a chance, let me know if you get this message. Sorry it was not more immediate. Mary
I have been working out 5 times a week for an hour and a half, working to the point of exhaution, eating healthy and sometimes only 2 times a day and I'm gaining weight!  I started at 200lbs, and in the past two years got down to 158.  I've somehow gotten up to 169 and CAN'T seem to shed any weight, or even tone up.  I'm doing everything people say to do and I've been keeping up a routine and my arms and legs are still flabby and my stomach is horrendice!  Someone tell me what I can do, short of starving myself!  :)  I'm desperate.  My goal is to get down to 135lbs.  I'm 23 years old, and 5'3".  Realistically, I should be 125lbs.  Now also, don't think that I'm obese or anything, I'm very porportionate and definiately don't look my weight, but I know what I weigh and that's all that matters!  

Thanks.  If you can, email me with some help at ***@****
sorry, for some reason it covered up my email address.  it's my first name (debora) and my last name (monzo), all one word at (g)angster mail dot com.  Thanks!
I can sympathize, I have been working out faithfully since April 2009 and I lost 8 lbs. but not I am at a stands still.  I was diagnosed with PCOS last year which is why I need to loose weight aside from being healthly.  I workout for an hour 5 days a week incorporating 20-30mins. of cardio with 20-30min.s of weight training.  I am really trying to stay focused, but is gets really fustrating when I am not losing any more weight.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  I do eat healthier than I use to, which has helped but.... Signed, HOPE
Avatar_dr_m_tn
When your input and output balances you do not lose weight and you stabilise.
Body is a unique system which has great adaptability.

Continue your exercise and weights to lose atleast 500 calories per day and alternatively visit a dietician to design a balanced diet for you with lesser calories required for your age and weight and height.

Take care!
Hey there, I had gained weight and couldnt loose it for a few years. I was eating very healthy too and excercising alot. My doctor suggested following the south beach diet. I was able to loose all the weight, I mean 27 lbs in 2 months, it was easy to follow. I have maintained it by following the first 2 weeks plan and every once and a while eating other things for a few days, I havent gained it back.
I have been exercising for most of my adult life and now at the age of 54 years I am now at the whooping weight of 233 lbs, 6ft 1 in tall and I am so frustrated.  The system says that based upon my weight I should have 2834 calories, approximately, to maintain and 500 less per day to lose 2 lbs per week.  Well I have been having the maximum 1600 calories per day, do the gym 4 - 5 days per week, using weights for upper and lower part of my body but still no success.  I need know what I am not doing correctly.  Please!!!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

I would suggest you to have proper diet rich in high fiber carbohydrates and protein, vitamins and minerals. Avoid fat as in fast foods, junk foods, deep fried food, sweets, chocolates and desserts.

I would suggest you to go for intense cardio for 45-60 minutes regularly. You can go for walking, jogging, swimming etc. With these activities you will lose weight.

Take care!
I lost 20 lbs in two months from 189 to 169 lbs, the pace is now slowing down. Dr. Vinod gave you excellent advice. That's what I've been doing. I am 42, 5'7.5".
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Always keep a goal of BMI within a range of 23-25 which is considered healthy and try to achieve it.

Eat healthy and do cardio regularly and this is a continuous affair and not a short term activity.

With increase in age if you just do these things you will be hale and healthy.

With any symptoms I would suggest you to go for an examination near a physician to have all your vitals under control.

Take care!
I am 5"1 and 115. I was 109 about three months ago and thought hmm i think i will get down to 105 which is what i was in high school. I am not 30 and i know 4 pounds doesnt seem much but when you have short stubby legs and everything you gain goes there it makes a difference. I have been buring 500 calories a day on my treadmill at an incline of 8. I bought sketchers shape ups. I am eating nothing but low fat meal, mostly steamed chicken. And still i gained weight. to my dissappointment, i found out exercise machines dont really burn the amount of calories it is saying it is. The only way to accuratly calculate how much you burn is by getting a heart rate monitor. So now im trying to not eat the extra 500 calories that i am aparently not burning by working my butt off on the treadmill and still stuck at this plateau.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

High school is a different preposition as you were young and you were still growing and all the calories were contributing in your bone growth and body metabolism. After 20 years of age the calorie requirement decreases.

You have to balance the input and output to stay at that particular weight. If you want to further lose then you have to increase the intensity of workouts and cardio and burn the extra calories.

I would not want you to squeeze any input further, rather eat healthy and plan a diet chart with the help of a dietician. Eat fiber rich carbohydrates, proteins and restricted fat with food rich in vitamins and minerals.

Take care!
I eat a proper, balanced diet with no junk food or refined carbs. I haven't had any sugar or junk food or alcohol at all in months. I eat a  max 1400 calories a day. I have been exercising doing circuit training, weight training, bootcamp, kickboxing-aerobics, jogging, and yoga between 2 to 3 hours a day for 3 months, I am in 4 classes a week for exercise and the rest I do on my own at the gym. I am sweating up a storm. I also started walking my kids to school every day rather than taking the car which adds 45 minutes extra exercise to my day. I am working really hard never lost a pound and actually I have gained 10 pounds. What the heck am I doing wrong?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

I would strongly suggest you not to worry!

Good health is having a proper body metabolism and having a BMI which should be less than 25. Medically if your BMI is between 20 and 25 and you are symptom free then there is nothing to worry.

If you have less basal metabolic rate you will lose extra fat slowly. Continue 1 hr of exercise in any form regularly and do your household chores and eat healthy. Your diet should consist of the required carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins and minerals.

If your BMI is high and you are also gaining weight and not muscle then seek medical help after this intense episodes of physical activity which you are following presently. Few tests and a physical examination near a physician will throw some light on the diagnosis.

Take care!
I have been yo-yo dieting all the way up to 250 pounds.  I lost 50 of the pounds doing Weight Watchers with no exercise.  I am now trying to get another 60 lbs off of me, incorporated 60 minutes per day of hard core cardio walking/running at a high incline, doing the South Beach diet with 1400 calories per day max, and the scale hasn't budged in 2 weeks.  I am beyond frustrated.  I am not seeing amazing results with a tape measure.  It's as if I am doing nothing at all.  Please tell me that I will start losing or help me find the right thing to be doing!!! I am so desperate and at 200 lbs, I am sad and disgusted.  I just turned 40 and I am only 5'4".
Please help me!
Kristin (***@****)
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Why are you feeling bad when you are doing such good things! You lost 60 pounds and your present BMI is 34.3 and you can come to 25 easily in next couple of years slowly and steadily.

The whole body weight mechanism works on output and input and do not take food rich in fats, fast food, junk food, simple sugars, desserts etc which will not help you to lose weight. Take lots of salads, fruits, high fiber carbohydrates and protein which will give you good health and also energy for your work outs and daily chores.

Do not stress, continue hard work, target a long term goal and do some form of cardio for 60 minutes every day for the next year and see the results.

The most important thing is to have a proper BMI and to have all your indicators like the pulse, blood pressure, blood sugar and lipid profile at normal limits. Any problems with your vitals follow up with a physician for an examination.

Take care!

I'm 5'5" and I weigh 185. I've been working out at least five days a week for a month, 30 minutes of cardio and then about twenty minutes of weight training. For cardio I do a 5 minute warm up and then alternate running for one minute and walking for two minutes and then a 5 minute cool down. Then I work each muscle group with weights.

I've only lost two pounds. If that. =[ And I've been doing my best to eat no more than 1500 calories of healthy food per day. Plus a ton of water.

The only thing that's happening is that it's getting easier to run. Which I'm grateful for, but I'd like to lose weight, lol. And I need to to be healthier. What am I doing wrong?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

You have a BMI of 30.8 and you have to check if your BMR is low and for some people it takes time in losing the extra baggage. But you will ultimately lose with persistence and hard work!

The whole concept is very simple you have to burn your calories (by converting your extra weight to calories or energy output) and balance your input in a healthy way.

The input should be sufficient and healthy and should consist of vitamins, minerals, high fiber carbohydrate and protein and for this sit with a dietician and plan and there is no reason to restrict forcefully to 1500 calories.

For physical exercise like cardio for 30-45 minutes regularly do not worry you will lose as this should be for long term and in a continuous way. Select swimming, running, jogging, cross trainer, treadmill, skipping etc.

Take care!
I have recently started to up my exercise levels in preparation for my wedding next month.

I currently weigh 114 pounds and I'm 5ft 5. I eat as healthy as I can and try and make sure that I eat no more than 1700 calories a day.

I notice that when I reduce my intake to 1400 calories a day I loose more weight.

Going to the gym 3 - 4 times a week does not seem to help weight loss as if I eat 1700 calories a day and have a naughty day where I have a more calorific meal at the weekend and exercise once or 4 times a week my weight doesn't seem to move or even goes up.

It seems that everytime i want to enjoy myself a bit more with food my weight goes up.

Its only when I eat constantly at 1400 calories that I maintain my lower weight. Is this normal? I was 172 pounds at my heaviest and in the last 2 years I have gradually lost 57 pounds and changed from a dress size 14 to 6.

Would this have something to do with the fact that my weight is quite low as my BMI is 19 at the moment.

I don't know if this is the right thread to write in but is it normal to b so concerned about my weight as no matter how much weight I loose I seem to never be happy!

Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Congratulations for your upcoming wedding!

You can maintain a healthy BMI of 20-25 and with you as I can understand your Basal metabolic rate is low so you have to watch for high calorie food as you put on more calories then you burn.

1400 calories is not suggested and you can add high fiber carbohydrates, some protein, food rich in vitamins and minerals and the best thing to do is to discuss with a dietician.

Add a glass of toned milk in your diet till you get married and maintain the above physiology for a month but after marriage change to least 1800 calories per day and continue physical exercise.

Take care!

I am 50 years old 3 years ago nI weighted 147 I have crept up tp 160. On 2/10/2010 my daughter 19 and myself started to go to a gym. I go 6 days a week 1-2 hours af cardio Kwando or Bootcamp and I have not lost any weight just inches the same goes for my daughter.. Our diets are very good fresh fruits and veges nut and legumes... What r we doing wrong...Its been 8 weeks!!! My daughter has lost aprox 7 inches I have lost 5-6.. Please help we r fustrated..We want our weight to reflect our looks..  Please help Karen and Jessica
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

It is just 8 weeks!

Physical activity and physical exercise should be a routine in our daily life and it is very nice to here that both you and your daughter are going regularly to a gym!

Plan a diet chart with proper carbohydrates (high fiber), proteins and fresh fruits, salads and vegetables to complete. Sit with a dietician and make diet plans for both you and your daughter after calculating your respective BMIs. Stick to the diet plan religiously.

Enjoy your work outs and do cardio regularly with the help of treadmill, cross trainer, running, jogging, skipping or swimming for 45 minutes to 60 minutes. Enjoy sports, dancing, and aerobics if you like or cardio will be sufficient.

With controlling your input and increasing your output you will lose all your extra calories. Give a time period of 3-6 months and see the difference!

Take care!
I did buy a scale and saw I lost 5 lbs. My daughter lost 2. I heard that raw veges are not good because they bloat u, I do eat alot of raw veges my favorite r snap peas and radishes...should I stop?Also really how much protein a day? maybe I eat to much! I do not eat red meat chiken and fish, and beans. Maybe u could help me with my diet..Any suggestions?

And is 8 weeks not enough to see a 10 lbs weight loss...Why is it that these advertisements for Jenny Craig they diet for 3 months and loose 30 lbs??? That would help keep me going.. My daughter and I are working so hard...I don't want her to stop.. She needs this...

Thank you for your response.. I look forward to chating more
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

All the commercials are used to attract people and are business strategies to earn money.

Every human being is special and in your case if you calculate your basal metabolic rate it might be lower than a person whose BMR is high and who can lose faster. It can be genetically linked and so is the same for your daughter, but youngsters loose faster.

Everything is in your control, balance your input and increase your output and in the future balance both of them when you reach your desired weight.

You can have vegetarian proteins as in legumes, lentils, beans, peas, egg white, toned milk and toned mild products, soy milk, soya, tofu etc. There is no harm in taking beans and its related products, some people pass flatulence with intake of legumes, peas and beans other than this there is no other side effect. Drink enough water regularly. For calculation of exact no of calories it is very difficult for me to do it for you, as you would need a proper session, take the help of a local dietician.

You can post further queries for clarification!

Take care!
Thank you for your response.. My daughter and I take your expertise to heart and will continue to do what we have been..
We will coninue to let you know how we do...

PS. After weighing in this morn  I lost another pound for a total of 6!!!

I encourage anyone with a similar story to write back to my daughter and I...

Thank you for all the wisdom!

Karen and Jess
Thank you for your reply.

Could the actual amount on the machine say I am burning actually be in correct?

Is it normal for my weight to fluctuate 2 - 3lbs as last week I was nearly 2 pounds lighter than I am now and I exercised more and eat pretty much the same amount of calories so I don't understand how I can weigh more. I thought that the extra exercise meant i could even eat more and loose weight let alone make me put on weight.

What kind of foods would you recommend that I eat to maintain my weight and do you think that if I have a few weekends where I eat more than normal that I will not put on weight as I really just want to maintain my weight at the moment and not loose any weight as my wedding dress is already too big for me.

I am constantly worried of putting on weight though as it seems that I put on weight quite easily but i did check my measurements and they are the same whether I am a few pounds lighter...

Take care!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

You are absolutely right. There are errors sometimes.

Machines give you a rough estimate. Another reason is that calibrations of the machines are very essential and check how regular calibration is done on the machine you are using.
Also check out on another machine or you have to change you scale.

You have to take into consideration your age, your metabolic rate and the present BMI before you can understand the amount of food you can take to maintain your weight.

You should have protein and carbohydrate (high fiber); you can have fruits and salads to give you the required vitamins and minerals. Avoid junk food, fast food, desserts and fried food and that is sufficient. Occasional indulgence is not a crime thou!

If you want further assistance you would need to sit with a dietician and plan judiciously.

Take care!

It's been 2 months now... I have been working out 60-70 minutes per day at a high level of intensity on treadmill or elliptical/approximately 5+ miles per day.  I have been steadily increasing the time/amount each day and work out with weights 3 days per week.  I haven't lost a pound.  I have lost no inches on my thighs and only a couple of inches on my waist and hips.  I was doing the Southbeach diet and now Weight Watchers, but this is getting ridiculous.  I have even cut out diet sodas and drink a ton of water.

I lost 50 pounds last year doing Weight Watchers with no exercise, but now I need to lose another 60 pounds and NOTHING is making the weight come off.  I know that I have made very positive changes, but shouldn't I be losing major inches and weight?  My doctor will not help.  She just tells me to increase my exercise... I don't have time for more than 1 to 1 1/2 hours per day!  At least when I wasn't exercising before, I was losing weight!  I am 5'3 and 204 lbs.  I am frustrated and depressed at this point.  Every time that I get on the scale, I want to cry.  I can't imagine that I will be at this awful weight for the rest of my life.  Please help me.  Please tell me what to do because I can't find the answers.
Thank you,
Kristin
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello

At 5'3" and 204 pounds you are at a BMI 36+

There is no reason to worry because you know that you have a BMI of more than 10 above the normal limits and you have a target at hand and you can achieve it in 6-9 months.

The first thing I want to suggest you is to go for elliptical, cross trainer or treadmill with increased intensity for 1 hr. You can lose around 800 kcal if you do for 60 to 70 minutes rigorously. For you the target is to lose calories not the time!

You have to pump it and sweat it and lose 700-800 kcal regularly. Check all your vitals and do not exert, take an approval from your physician before going ahead with my plan.

Diet should consist of a maximum 1600 kcal per day and it should consist of a mix of healthy nutritious food, designed by a dietician and customized for you. When you get to BMI 25 then you can come down to 1800 kcal and regular exercise of 30 minutes.

Take care!

I was searching for my question and I found this forum. it's very interesting & hope it can help me too.

I'm 26, weighted 143, height 5'1. I know I'm over-weighted & it's been almost a month that I've started to eat healthy and going to gym twice a week. The other days I walk at least for 45 minutes each day. At my work place I don't usually walk, since it's an office job. But when I go to gym, I cardio and work with weights, so then I loose approximately 350 - 400 calories each time. I eat no more than 1200 calories each day. No rice/bread, no red meat, no sugars (except for the natural ones and also a balance bar I eat every day.) I eat lotsa vegies and fruits, chicken/fish and i drink tons of water. I have a combination of broccoli, lettuce, celery, corn, carrots and apples each week. I've lost 11lbs in 2 weeks but that's it. I'm not losing weight anymore and that drives me crazy... i dunno what to do. i need to get to my ideal wight of 120 lbs by the end of July and that's very crucial for me. I'm so helpless. please help me.

Thanks in advance,

Bella
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Well! I would not support the 1200 calories of what you are consuming daily, presently to lose further weight. You should maximize it to at least 1500kcal. Presently with 132 pounds and a height of 5'1'' you are at a BMI of 24.9. You are targeting well below the normal range, which is difficult to achieve, but not impossible.

Try different kinds of cardio and combination of sports, aerobics and pilates whichever is suitable to you and you will lose after the plateau phase.
Short term weight loss has taken place, and to continue losing the desired weight of 10 pounds keep target a period of 3 months. Do not go below 22-23 BMI.

Take care!

Thank you very much for the response.

Well... I'm not 132 lbs but 143 lbs and I still have a long way to go. So, my BMI is not 24.9, right?

Do you suggest me to eat more and meanwhile intense my work out?

I will do it if that's gonna help me to pass this plateau phase. Because, I'm feeling so disappointed each time I go on scale and see the same weight. =(

Thanks again.

Bella
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

With 143 pounds and a height of 5'1'' you are having a BMI of exactly 27.

I would suggest you to target achieving 130 pounds for the next 3 months, which you can achieve easily.

Plan a diet chart with the help of a dietician and regularly go for cardio as I have suggested, be regular and focused and you will lose, try a combination of cardio activities.

Take care!
I am 33 yrs old, 5'6" and 176 lbs.  About year ago (2/2009) I had the Mirena inserted.  At that time I weighed 135 lbs.  I started noticing things like, acne and very oily hair.  Then a few months and a 20 lbs later, I noticed that I was having a pretty major depression, which I attributed to other things going on in my life (my mom has early on-set Alzheimer's and I needed to help my dad as he has lung cancer).  Then a few months later and a 20 lbs heavier, I noticed that my breasts were extremely tender and I was starting to have debilitating migraines 2-3 times weekly.  I went to my OB who said she did not believe that the Mirena could cause ANY of the above.  After reading about some people who had experienced all these problems with the Mirena, I had it removed (2/2010).
All my ailments have, for the most part, subsided.  I no longer have symptoms of depression.  I still have the occasional very bad migraine and my acne is still lingering.  My weight however, has remained the same, and my breasts are HUGE, almost as big as when I was pregnant and engorged with milk.  (I just recently finished my period, so I know  am not pregnant).   I exercise regularly and have been dieting, eating healthy for about two months now.  I have not lost a single pound.   Can the hormones from the Mirena still be in my system?  I had also read that hormones can cause problems with your thyroid.  Can this be a possibility?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

As you have got your mirena removed on February 2010 and as it is 3 months since then there will be no more hormonal side effects of mirena.  

At 5'6" and weighing 176 pounds you are having a BMI of 28.4.

You can start planning a proper diet by avoiding fried food, fatty food, desserts, junk food and fast food.  Plan around 1500 to 1800 Kcal per day with a proper balanced diet and make a diet chart customized for self with the help of a dietician.

Start doing cardio regularly for 1 hour and after couple of months you will easily lose around 5-10 pounds. You will lose around 500kcal per hour in activities such as running, jogging, skipping, treadmill, cross trainer, swimming etc.

Take care!

Please help. I am 49 yr female, 5'3" 241#. I have been on a diet of 1800- 2000 calorie/day.My trainer increased my calories because he said I was not eating enough at 1200 - 1500 cals. Still no weight loss, no weight gain either. I exercise at the gym 6 days per week. I do weight training every other day. Cardio for 45min - 1 hour each day. walking  interval always UPHILL.. Well for a month now 0 weight loss. I have increased my lean protein to 100g per day. I do have thyroid disease, controlled. Any suggestions?
Thank you.
Shelley
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

You can cut down a little on your carbohydrate and take all the carbohydrate as fruits or high fiber. Avoid fatty foods, junk food, fast food, desserts and fried food. Eat divided meals and small 400 kcal ones 4 times a day.  Do not eat anything after 8 pm in the late evenings. Avoid smoking and alcohol completely.

Cardio for 1 hr regularly is recommended to you. Increase household chores, start jogging and walking in the neighborhood, always take stair case whenever possible.
Cardio should be different types like swimming, jogging, running, treadmill, skipping, cross trainer etc. Indulge in sports if possible and with increasing your output and controlling your input you will lose weight.

With 500kcal loss per day you will lose weight ultimately, break the plateau barrier you are presently experiencing by squeezing a little on input and increasing your output.

Take care!
so im 16 and weigh 56 kg and am 5'8 and i want to get to around 50 kg. i run on the tredmill for around 25 mins a day and work on some excercises for my muscles and do a lot of different types of situps. even after all that im not really loosing weight im jus gaining some. is it cause im growing muscle? because if it is then how do i get those SCALES to go down. :(
Hi, im 16 years old and weigh183 lbs and im 5"8

i have been eating healthily for a while now but no weight has been lost. i have been on various diets since as long as i can remember, all i want to do is get back my childhood. quite depressing going anywhere with friends who are all stick thin.

went to a dietician last year and lost about 14 lbs but put it all back on again. earlier this year i did the slim fast diet which didnt work at all, i just felt miserable. i try to go to the gym but i have no motivation as i always get tired and worn out really quickly. i found this morning a legs bums and tums video on sky. so will try that every day for a few weeks. i have quite toned legs but have the worst kind of fat. belly fat. i understand how bad it is for my health which is why i want to lost the weight plus i want to wear a bikini for the first time this summer!!

would really like to talk to a dietician regularly but with the one i went to last time i only saw her every couple of months, so perhaps talking to someone a bit more regularly will be better?

Charley x
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

At 170 cm and 56 kg you are at a BMI of 19.2 and you are just 16.

Do not go for further weight loss. Eat healthy and exercise and involve in sports. Do not do stressful exercises which are not necessary for your age, your age permits for further growth of your long bones. You have not stopped your growth.

Once you achieve 19-20 years then go to a gym!

Take care!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Do not worry; you are just 10 pounds away from perfect BMI. Your weight of 183 pounds and height of 5'8" suggests you are at a BMI of 27.8.

You are just 16 years old! Cool, and do not get stressed.

Eat healthy and avoid junk food, fast food, sodas, beers, desserts, fried food.

You should indulge in swimming, tennis, football, basketball as any of these sports will ensure you to get back to shape in couple of months.

Take care!
Hi there,

I have read all the above interested comments left by others and feel the same.

I workout 6days a week which includes rollerblading an hour in each morning, three times a week a trainer for body sculpting and boot camp on Sat. I am 35 , 5 '7 ft tall and for the past 5 month have been weigh in at 10.5-11stone. I really cant understand why I cant shift any weight. I eat three meals a day starting with fruit in the morning, a light salad with protein and a substantial dinner. I only snack on fruit and never eat sweets. I dont drink caffeine and rarely drink alcohol. Its so frustrating and my stomach is the one thing that annoys me the most on my bottom.

What do you suggest to get rid of this weight and get more toned?
Hi there,

I workout 6days a week which includes rollerblading an hour in each morning, three times a week a trainer for body sculpting and boot camp on Sat. I am 35 , 5 '7 ft tall and for the past 5 month have been weigh in at 10.5-11stone. I really cant understand why I cant shift any weight. I eat three meals a day starting with fruit in the morning, a light salad with protein and a substantial dinner. I only snack on fruit and never eat sweets. I dont drink caffeine and rarely drink alcohol. Its so frustrating and my stomach is the one thing that annoys me the most!! I want a flat stomach!

Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Try different types of sports, aerobics and cardio activities. Exercises such as skipping, tennis or swimming for a period of 6 months may help you out.

Calculate and count your calories and eat healthy and continue regular cardio.

Do not stress yourself and you will achieve this if you keep this as a long term goal.

Take care!
Hi Dr Vinod

I need your advice regarding my situation. I was an active sports player when I was in school and was very fit. Over the years, I had slackened and put on close to 15 kg since I was in school. I am 157 cm and BMI is about 28 now. I accumulated the weight in the last 5 years. I started exercising, though periodically, and managed to capped my weight gain although there was no weight loss.

This year, after going through a break up, I decided to focus on myself and try to get back as fit as I was. When I was 18, my weight was 55 kg and I am aiming for that although I know realistically it cannot happen overnight.

I started exercising (exercise videos, cross trainer, swimming) for at least 3 times a week for about 40 - 60 minute since November last year. I have also joined a gym and do kickboxing classes as well as yoga. After 6 months, although my clothes fit better, I have lost only 0.5 kg. It is very disappointing although the good thing that comes out of it is that I have rekindled my love for exercise. (I think they call it muscle memory?)

My friend who joined me about 2 months later, has lost 5 kg. She is smaller than I am, around 150 cm and is now 45 kg. We do the exact same exercises, and sometimes, I do even more. She attributed it to the fact that when she was going through certain problems, she didn't really eat for 2 weeks and that was when she saw her weight loss. She has also made conscious effort to cut down the portions of her food.

I tried to keep this in mind by also cutting my food intake and being very conscious about what I eat. I have added more fibre (by eating oatmeal and wholemeal bread) and vegetables.

I cannot understand why I am still not losing weight. Is there something I am not doing right?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Do not worry as you are doing very good; the best thing is you are just in overweight category(28 BMI) and once you are under 25 BMI you have normal body mass index.

Do not do the mistake of comparing your basal metabolic rate with your friend’s; your rate is different from hers.

The formula of success is very simple; control your input and increase your output.

Whatever forms of aerobics, sports you do, you have to do a 45 minutes cardio regularly and eat healthy of at least 1800 calories per day.

With regular cardio you will lose in next 6 months!

Achieve a BMI less than 25 that is sufficient for good health, feel good by exercising regularly.

Take care!
I just wanted to say thank you for your wonderful words of wisdom on the above posts.  I have only been taking care of myself for about 7 weeks; I too have been frustrated in regards to the plateau I find myself in.  I started my endeavor in April, ready to change not only my life, but the lives of My Husband and Son.  So far, I have lost 38 pounds, and feeling really strong.  After reading your comments, I have had a duh moment…I have lost 38 pounds!! That is a wonderful thing.  I still have a battle ahead of me, but with advice like yours at our fingertips, it sure puts things back into place. :)  Happy to be lighter and healthier, Melissa
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Keep smiling and enjoy your life.

Avoid stress and do not worry in whatever BMI you are presently, you can achieve normal indicators with a long term target.

Every pound you lose will make you more confident and pump up your energy.

Take care!
help ive had a baby ten weeks ago and i have been doing weight watchersa for 3 weeks and only lost 2 pounds this week i actually put a pound on!!!!!

im sooo frustrated i have been swimming twice a week quite vigorously and im at my wits end i have 2 stone of post baby weight to lose please help
Good evening.  I was hoping you could help me.  
I am a 34 year old female, and I weigh 255 pounds.  I had gastric bypass surgery over 7 years ago.  I started at 317 and got down to 197.  Over the years, I have slowly gained.  I feel like a failure-but decided to really try my best to eat a balanced diet and exercise.  I was sedentary and started exercising on the eliptical for about 45 minutes daily.  Some days, I then walk vigorously outside for 60 minutes in addition to my gym machine workouts.  I have not begun weight training as of yet.  I am keeping a food journal of every single calorie that I put in my mouth.  I have been doing this for over two weeks.  My caloric intake varies from 1300-1800 a day.  I drink almost a gallon of water a day.  I try to include fresh fruits and vegetables (although that has been a challenge).  I am desperately trying to make a change to my overall lifestyle-but admit that I am starting to get discouraged as I have not lost any weight?  Am I consuming too many calories?  Not enough exercise?  I had a physical about 4 months ago-and have no conditions such as PCOS, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.  I am on Lexapro 20 milligrams for the last three years or so.  Can you explain to me why I have not seen any results?  I realize it will take time, and I am committed to this for the long haul (I would like to be healthier, but also hope to start a family soon) but am a bit discouraged.  Thank you for any help or words of advice.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

There is no reason to worry or bother. Remember hard work will give you positive results.

You have to increase your output and balance your input. A healthy diet is what you strictly need, you can have fish, lean meat and egg white and toned dairy products along with the load of vegetable and fruit you are consuming. Stick to 1800 calories and increase your output.

Plan it with a dietician and prepare a diet chart.

Elliptical for 1 hour by losing more than 500 calories per day will give you the desired results. In 6 months you can lose atleast 50 pounds if you strictly follow these levels and instructions.

Take care!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Enjoy your motherhood and go for lactation and breast feeding completely for 6 months as this will make you lose calories.

Regular cardio and a planned diet chart will help you out, have patience and take a goal for a period 6 months.

Take care!
I'm a 29 year old male 181cm (5 ft 9) and had decided that with the birth of my precious baby boy it was time to make a change with regards to my weight and health.  I am of Maori ethnicity living in New Zealand, before I started on my weight loss journey I initially weighed in at 129 kgs (284 lbs).  Ignorance is bliss ... what I mean by this is that believe it or not I was actually quite happy being this big, sure I sweated alot and spent most of my free time on the couch but I had never known life lighter than this weight.

I wasn't too interested in exercising or dieting so decided to give the lemon detox diet a go. It worked but it didn't last ... however I had finally had a taste of what life was meant to be like.

After doing stacks of online research, I made calculations and created some plans and got stuck into it.

It took me 3 months to drop 23kgs (50 lbs). Alot of people will say thats a dangerous amount in such a short amount of time, I beg to differ by saying that I had (and still have) the weight to lose!  No where in my plan did I ever compromise my diet or my health.

If you are reading this and are interested in how I did it, please e-mail me at V.***@**** I can give send you my spreadsheets and even before and after photos and I'm happy to answer any questions you might have :)
Hi, I'm 30 years old and I'm 200lb. Few years ago I used to be 135lb than I gained weight because I switch the job from moving to sitting position and I was eating lots of junk food. Since than I started all different diets and gym and excersise and every time I lost weight I gained it all back. Now few month agao I found Zumba and I lost 4 dress sizes but the weight is still the same. I have been excersising 5 days a week for an 1hr doign Zumba and Zumba toning. I east healthy and do not drink soda, only water. I have hard time eating 5 small meals a day, I only do 2 meals. Is this where my problem is? that I cannot loose these pounds? What can I do to loose these pounds?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

You have to give your height so that I can calculate your BMI.
If you are more than 6ft with 200 pounds then it is normal BMI.

I would suggest you to eat around 1800-2000 calories per day, prepare a diet chart with the help of a dietitian.You should eat this in divided meals and avoid fast food and junk food completely. You should also avoid fried food, desserts completely.

Start cardio activities regularly. You can do jogging, running, skipping, cycling or swimming for 1 hr regularly. Do not stop cardio activities and you will come to the desired weight over a period of time.

Take care!
Hi Im 31 years old 191.4 pounds. I have been exercising and eating atleast 1,500.00 - 1,600.00 calories for three months. I have lost only four pounds since then. I recently started eating 1,200.00 and still haven't lost one single pound in a month! I execise for 45 - 60mins atleast 5 times per week, drink lots of water do resistance training .... yet nothing. Its very discouraging im wondering if i have hit a plateau. Is it common to hit a plateau in such an early stage? I know that bigness is in my genes because my mom is very heavy and so are my aunts and uncles. Could this be the reason why I am also losing weight so slowly well not at all now. PLEASE HELP PLEASE
I am female 50 years old. i weight 93 kg and am 5' 3". I have been brisk walking for an hour 6 days a week for 4 weeks now. I eat only salad with chicken or tuna or eggs and meat with just veg. No potatoes or bread for 5/6 weeks now and i dont seem to be losing weight at all.  Its tarting to depress me and makes me feel like giving up. Could there be a health problem thats stopping me losing the weight. HELP
Christine
***@****
Hello Dr. Vinod

I'm 36 years old.
I was at a healthy BMI of 24 in 2007, in 2011 I'm at a BMI of 30. I'm 5 ft 6 inches tall and weigh 187 lbs. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's in 2010 June and now on regular medication. I swerved into hyperthyroidism from hypo, the doctor says this is okay as long as my dosage is monitored. He has reduced my dosage now and we working towards a TSH level of 2.00 which is ideal. He says this will happen over a period of time with regular tests and checks.

I started exercising regularly starting Sep 2010. I exercise most of the days. Averaging 60 minutes. I managed to loose 7 lbs but then I just stopped loosing weight. Maybe my diet is not ideal but shouldn't I loose at least 1 lb every fortnight with all this hard work?? why is it getting so difficult to loose weight!!!
I am 5'3 and on January 4, 2011 I weighed 186.4 I started on that day following an eating plan that a nutritionist had given me in past years. I am also working out 5 days a week on my Total Gym. I have had a good attitude and worked hard at this for 3 weeks only to have gotten down to 182, then gain it all back less 1 lb. I am more than discouraged, my spirit is crushed and I feel that, no matter how hard I try,my best is never going to be good enough. I'm sick of others trying to minimize it. This was hardest I have ever worked at it.
Didn't read the whole thread, but is everyone aware that muscle is 4 TIMES DENSER THAN FAT. That means that 1 litre of muscle will weigh the same as 4 litres of fat.

I am 5'0 and I weight 164 pounds. For the last 3 weeks I have been doing Bootcamp twice a week and 3 other days I do 30-40 minutes of cardio and weight training. I am trying to stick to a 1500 calorie diet, sometimes I don't eat that much though. I have only lost 2 pounds, I am not sure what I am doing wrong? Please help!
Jenny
Hello Dr. Vinod,

I am a 32 year old female.  I have rheumatoid arthritis and am getting married in a year.  I am 5' tall and 192 pounds.  I desperately want to lose weight.  Four weeks ago I started a fitness boot camp that combines high intensity cardio and circuit weight training.  Two weeks ago I started weight watchers, which I have been following faithfully.  I also do zumba classes here and there when I have the time.  I can feel that I am getting stronger and able to do the exercises without getting as winded, however I have not lost any weight nor have I noticed any of my clothes fitting any looser.  I am starting to get discouraged and feel that no matter what I do, I will not be able to lose any weight....  I also work full time, go to school full time, have two puppies and am in the middle of planning a wedding, so there is no time for me to add any more workouts at this time.

Can you tell me what I might be doing wrong?

Thank you.....
Hi, I'm not Dr. Vinod (obviously! Lol) but just here to try and help. You say you don't notice clothes fitting better yet, but have you actually measured yourself in all the key areas? Sometimes half an inch here and there doesn't feel like much clothing-wise, but when you can see with your own eyes on the tape-measure that you've lost it, it can really help. You're getting fitter, as demonstrated by the easier workouts, so you're obviously doing something right!
Are you drinking enough plain water? If you're exercising you need more than you'd think (2liters minimum if you haven't researched it) to stay properly hydrated and to avoid water-retention (thus adding weight). It takes a while to get used to drinking so much, but it really is so good for you!
Another thing is to watch the amount of processed carbs you eat in a day. I know WeightWatchers counts calories and fat, but not every diet works for everyone, and you may need to try one that focuses more on counting carbohydrates. If that's not something you'd like to try, just trust that steady exercise and enough water and watching watch you eat WILL get you to your goal eventually, at your body's own rate. Remember it took a while for the weight to get there, it's only natural that it takes a while to come back off! It's just not fair that putting it on was so much easier! Lol.
Thanks for your response!! I know that I'm being impatient, but it's just hard to keep myself motivated when I don't see any results...  I do think I probably need to drink more water, I'm not a big water drinker, but I have been trying to drink a lot more of it.

Weight watchers did work for me before, it used to only be based on calories and fat, but they recently revamped it and now it takes into consideration fat, protein, carbs and fiber.  I did start taking measurements last week, but I hadn't taken them prior so I don't know if there's a difference yet.... I'll take them again in a couple of weeks and hopefully there will be some response  :o)

The only think I can think of that may also be holding me back is alcohol.  During the week, I occasionally have a small glass of red wine with dinner.  I count the points from it for weight watchers, but I don't know if that's harming me.  Also, some friday or saturday nights I'll have a couple of glasses of wine with friends.  Again, I count the points, but I don't know if that would stop my weight loss completely....

I'll keep at it and hopefully I'll see a change soon!!
I wouldn't think that a small glass of wine every now and then would hamper weight-loss efforts. It's supposed to be good for you after all, helps with digestion and provides phytochemicals etc... It's not like you're binge-drinking every weekend!
Yes, it's very hard to be patient when it comes to losing weight. I'm the same. I know all the possible reasons for my plateau, and tell myself the same things I tell anyone else that gets frustrated, but it doesn't stop me getting annoyed at my body's lack of co-operation! I mean, theoretically I should be losing 2lbs a week, but this week-- NOTHING! If it was a simple equation of calories in minus calories out, I'd be steadily dropping the lbs, but my body has other ideas and thinks it's a good strategy to hold onto what I've got. *sigh*
I just have to trust that the inches will diminish and that the scales will follow suit eventually, but it's definitely not an easy thing to do!
I have been going to the gym for 4 months,I follow every diet out there,And I am still gaining weight.I quit smokinging 6 months ago and gained 35 lbs in 2 months.Help!!! anyone know what to do?
Hello. There is someone i know who desperately wanna lose his weight. He has done everything, from dieting, exercising n even consume some kind of medication to lose weight. Unfortunately, there is no weight lost. Even her sister who took the medication managed to lose 4kg in 2 weeks.
After frequent exercises, his body became even muscular, but there is NO weight loss and that drives him crazy. What should he do since he is my best friend, I would like to see him happy with his body too. Please advise.
hello Dr. Vinod,
                      I am 22 year old .... facing a lot of obesity problems.....last year I worked out for a couple of months on a very strict diet and lost almost 50Kgs....Since then i have not been working out but play a sport regularly for 2-3 hrs everyday....my daily consumption of water is around 4-5 lts.. It seems like even the water is adding to my weight...i got myself checked for water retention but iam perfectly alrite....i do no consume any junk...very watchful of my diet...but nothing seems to be working at all....i dont lose weight..instead i end up gaining only...iam frustrated to the core...can you plss help....
Hello< Please help Im 33 years old and I am 5'2" I weigh 165. I have been eating right and drink a lot of water. I start my day with a bowl of mixed fruit and maybe a small small bowl of cherrios with 2% milk. Then for lunch I will have a salad with peppers and some grilled chicken and for dinner i will make a typical one with  small portions of meat veggies and maybe a piece of garlic toast. As for working out I do daily on the treadmill 55 mins thats with a 35 min weight lose work out and a 20 high intensity within that time I have my hand weight approx. 1 lb each doing light cardio while im on the treadmill. Now my clothes have been fitting better and I look leaner and my double chin is gone but the scale remains the same! at 165 lbs this is the biggest I ever been in my life growing up only being 120lbs even with pregnancy topping at 129. So had my last baby over a year ago I had been putting on the weight I decided to start working out and Ive been doing this for only  3 weeks now am I doing what it takes to get back down to at least 125 lbs or what else do u recommend? Please help as I want to be fit and look good after having 3 kids and no strech marks! Thank you,Jennifer
hello doctor
               i m a 26 yr old male with a height of 6.2 feet and weight 248 lbs.i planned to reduce my weight and bought a tread mill and i started jogging and walking for 40 minutes daily in  last 1.5 months.i usually jog about 3 to 4 kms daily.meter shows about 200 to 250 calories have been burnt daily.nw my problem is my weight remains same.it hadn't reduced.but my body got shape and everyone says u r looking slightly slim than before.but the machine shows the same weight.what i want to do now.please suggest me sir........
I really need some help.  I'm 39, 5'4" and weigh 247.  I was very sedentary and overweight for years, but started eating 1400 calories/day and exercising at least 1 hour/day 8 weeks ago.  I have not seen any results!  I'm working SO hard and I'm getting really frustrated and depressed. I change up my exercises and eat right (5 very small "meals" a day, very low fat, no sugar) and really thought I should see some results by now but NOTHING!!  I'm depressed beyond words.  What am I doing wrong?
Hi,  I am a 26 year old female.  I was diagnosed with Diabetes 3 years ago.  I didn't take my disease seriously until I lost a pregnancy.  My doctors told me it was due to high blood sugars.  It was a slap in my face and something I continue to blame myself for.  I have been determined to lose the weight, become healthy, and get my diabetes under control.  I have been on a 1200 calorie diet and doing cardio exercise for one hour a day five days a week for a month now.  I lost 7lbs in one month.  However, I weighed myself 2 days ago and I gained it all back without changing my diet.  What have I done wrong and how can I make the scales start going back down?
I am 32 year old male 6'0 183 I have been running/ walking at least 30 minutes a day.  around 2 miles daily. I also play soccer in a league and get good exercise from that sport as well. My problem seems to be that I have hit the wall.  I was 175 about 2 months ago, and after I went on a cruise I gained like 8 pounds. I over indulged some.  I would like to get that back off if possible, but I am having trouble doing such.  I tend to snack alot at night, what would you recommend as a good way to curb appetite?  What would you consider a good portion size? I started to swim again , do you feel that is a good exercise for weight loss?  Thanks for the help
Just continue your exercise routines or just add more workout you will gain lose weight. Sometimes we always exercise for losing
Just continue your exercise routines or just add more workout you will gain lose weight. Just dont give up and discourage, if you love what your doing. Start slow..improve gradually. Good luck!

http://sportvideos.com/
iam a teacher... i took one cup kelloge in morning and night plus one luch meal since last one month ...being a mother of two...did not get sufficient time for exercise but i do my houshold work my myself...but still not losing weight what to do/////
anu
For sure control fat content... probably less the 20% of diet should be fat. Six meals a day... modest main three and then three snacks. Go for color on your plate. Stay away from all brown and white... be sure you have fish and chicken in your diet...turkey too... there are lots of good turkey products that are great!!Be religious on your diet but then one day a week do what you want.

As to exercise... try to vary your exercises... one week I may be all weights another kettle bells another something else...also at least three times a week in my exercise I try and do some intervals and spike my heart ratefor example 15 minutes on a stationary bike... three minutes at a resistance of four (or what ever ) and 85 RPMs... then two minutes at 105RPM.... or run laps at a track two laps walking or an easy jog then a lap as fast as I can go... then two more than another fast...

I am 66. Was 316 in Jan 2011. Today 249 and enjoying myself a lot more..

Oh yea... remember weight can vary as much as 5% day to day (if you are 200# that is 10#)... better indicator is a trend line (as on here) also check body fat (mine is down 10#)  BMI really isn't too good as you can have body fat in low 20% and BMI obese... an indicator but that is all
Hi Dr. i am 25 years old. I started at 197 lb. and now i am down to 154. My height is 5'3. I started working out everyday (cardio) starting May 1st. However, my last weigh in (which is every month) wasn't so great. I did not gain, but i did not lose. I remained at 154lb. I was really discouraged to not have lost because i was so used to losing every month. However, i will admit this last month i was feeling a bit cool with my eating as compared to the previous months. Is that why you think? or do u think i have hit a 'plateau'   ?????
I am 50 years old, 5'.5" and weigh 200 pounds.  I have managed to lose 50 pounds in 4 months with a weight watchers diet.  I haven't been doing any excercise and people say I will not lose anymore weight unless I do start.  Is this true as I have quite a sedentary life style.
I'm 29, 5'3 and 198 lb.  I started working out 8 weeks ago for 1.5 hours a day, 5 days a week.  I do weight exercises a personal trainer at the gym showed me and I rotate routines daily to avoid muscle memory.  I follow that up with 45 minutes of either cross trainer, treadmill, or rowing machine.  I haven't been counting calories but I've been very careful about eating 3 meals a day (I previously ate 1 meal/day) with low carbs, veggies, lean meats.  I've cut out soda entirely and now drink 5-6 bottles of water a day (originally I only drank soda and maybe a few oz of water a day).  

Over 8 weeks I've gained 3 lbs overall.  I haven't been measuring myself but my pants actually fit more tightly than before which is extremely discouraging.  The only difference I've noticed is increased energy which is wonderful but not the weight loss I was hoping for.  I'd expected to lose at least 10 lbs by this point.  Please help!
     I'm 28 yrs.old 5'5" and I weight 210lbs I started out weighing 145lbs before I had my daughter 3 years ago. I have dieted, exercised and counted calories for over a year and instead of loosing weight I gained it. I went to the Dr. thinking maybe there was a medical problem but that wasn't the case and she sugested for me to do all the things that I already do. I am at the end of my rope I just don't know what to do anymore. I need HELP I'm afraid that if I keep adding weight or don't loose what I already have I might not be around to watch my daughter grow up.
I have been reading this forum for a while and very much interested to participate and I wonder if you could help me as you have been helping a lot of members here.  I'm a female of 43, diagnosed with hyperthyroidism for more than a decade after pregnancy.  I was 48kg after given birth to my daughter in 1996. I'm 5'5 and my weight has fluctuated since that time but was still within a healthy BMI.  However, lately my weight has been escalating due to several relapses and presently my weight is 70kg. My thyroid is under control with carbimazole 10mg daily in the last 2 years. I started exercising in the last month and have lost 1 kg.  my exercise routine is not intense as I worry I might increase my metabolism so much that it might lead to relapse or not? Please help.  I do want to lose weight because I don't feel happy with my form.  I never use to have saddlebags and muffin tops but now I do.  I was blessed with high metabolism in my younger days but due to thyroid disorder, my metabolism is slow.  I have learnt my lesson not to skip my meds which I did years ago but that made my thyroid relapse.  I know that was stupid. I guess I was in denial.  Also I am eating healthy foods all the time now. Your opinion and advice is very much appreciated.  Thank you.
Iv got pcos as well but as lost 3 Stone and 9 pounds but can not lose no more since jogging for four weeks I have put 3 pounds on since doing this ,but I do not want to stop cause I enjoy it help !!! Xxx
Awesome information here!  I am 39 -- highest weight was 220 --- now I'm 155 and still losing.  I have 4 kids, 2 jobs and am a f/t student so I am very inconsistent with my exercise, but love it when I can fit it in.  Since researching and looking into a lot of nutritional information to help me get to my goal of 127 I have found what I was looking for and in 60 days have lost 18 pounds and 11.5 inches.  Couldn't be happier!
I am 58 years old and currently 12 stone height 5ft 4ins in weight which has steadily increased over the past few years its the heaviest I have ever weighed I restrict myself to 1200 calories a day I powerwalk every morning on the treadmill burning 200 calories in 20 minutes using incline at 7.00 and walking at 4.3      I had a thyroid gland removed 12 years ago and am very weight concious Im not on any medication as was told my body can work very well on one cylander Im not so sure !!!  I want to be 10stone its not easy everytime I have my blood tested its borderline so they say I dont need medication is there anyone reading this who can give me any advice ?  
Hi there, ive been training with personal trainer for 2,5 months now, but although im losing body fat the scale doesnt show any loss, maybe 5kg, please help. im training 4 times a week and Saturdays
Working out 7 days but not losing weight.  Was 174 when started but now 166. Been doing this for month watch what I eat.  Losing inches but no lbs what am I doing wrong.