Exercise & Fitness Community
Eating right, Working out but NOT losing weight

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

I was wondering if ANYONE has any advice for me.  I have been trying to lose about 5-10lbs over the last year. I am 31 years old , 4'8" and weigh 101 lbs. I used to weight between 89 and 94lbs at the most!
I am pretty atheltic. I ran a marathon a few years ago and shortly after that is when I gained the weight. I have been training for half marathons (I ran one in April 2006) so I have been keeping the cardio up with running 3-4 days during the week and then 5-10 miles on the weekends.  
Recently I got so frustrated that I went to a dietitican. She claimed that I needed to rev up my workouts by doing interval training and then eating more protein and more times of the day.

For the last two months, I have been eating 5 times a day (about 1000-1200 calories) Each meal has protein and carbs and I get my 5 a day fruits and veggies.
I do cardio 5 days a week (3 days are interval training for 45 min--60 seconds at 65% target heart rate and 60 second 85% target heeart rate) The other 2 days of cardio are a 45 minute dance class and then a weekend long distance run that lasts between 1-2 hours. I also weight train 3 days a week. 1 days lower body and two days upper body.

My body fat has increased and my pants size has increased. Why can't I lose the weight or at least the body fat? Does anyone have advice for me?
The rule of thumb in exercise is this.  Exercising at a fast (aerobic)pace will burn fat, exercising slowly will build muscle.  If you combine the two, weight is maintained.  When a woman hits the age of 30, the body will gain about 5 pounds.   This increase is due to the body beginning to shift hormonal balance. Women who exercise alot may begin peri-menopause as early as 30 where you experience some weight gain, mood swings, and changes in the period.  Hormone production begins to shift from the ovaries to the fat cells.  The need for more fat cells leads to the increase in weight around the middle. A blood test for hormone levels may be your answer.
A blood test to test what hormones? What kind of answers will I get?  So by doing interval training it's causing me to maintain weight. Should I do 45min of cardio at 85 % of my target heart rate 5 days a week?
The blood test is for female hormones.  This will show if you are entering a perimenopausal state.  That is a pre-menopause that shows some body changing and hormones are now reduced.  Based on the findings, the doctor (see and OBGYN)can tell you what to expect and suggest changes in lifestyle and diet that can help you along.  If you are entering menopause, there is a possiblity you won't lose the extra weight and may have to learn to "live with it". It is a rare thing when a woman can go through life wearing the clothes she wore in high school.  We naturally gain some poundage as we age. It is a 'rule of thumb' that women gain about a pound a year after the age of 30.  Like all things, it varies with the individual. My personal ideas of exercises do not match the mainstream ideas of cardio/resp balance, so I won't comment on those exercise programs. You might try different exercises. When you exercise a muscle group in the same way all the time, the body can "get used" to the exercise.  When you change the way you work the same muscle group, the body will often use more calories to do the same work because it isn't "used to" doing it that way. Try to vary your workout. Consider adding an exercise ball workout to work the legs and lower back.  Do crunchies on the ball instead of the floor.  Boxing is a good alternative to arm and shoulder workouts.  Swim or bike instead of jogging.  You get the idea.  Watch what you eat, get rid of packaged processed foods and eat whole foods.  Consider juicing. Get at least 20 minutes of sunshine without sunscreen each day.  If you are worried about cancer, stay in the shade, go out in the early mornings or late in the day when the sun isn't so strong. good luck
Are you positive your body fat has increased and not your muscle mass?  Muscle weighs more than fat, and it's possible that you have gained more muscle.
I had the calibers done and I went up 4%, even if there is a margin of error, it still increased my some amount. Also, I have a layer of fat on my tummy that I didn't have before and my pants size went up 1-2 sizes.
I have been eating non-processed food, only lean protiens, and healthy carbs. IT's about 1000-1200 per day.
star queen, no offense but it sounds like you are mostly uninformed.  I am a Registered Dietitian and ACE Certified personal trainer and the main recommendation that I have to "little1sk" is centered around the type and duration of exercise.  The current recommendation for wt loss with regard to exercise is at least 6 days per week for at least 90 minutes.  It does not have to be 90 consecutive minutes, you can break up the time into different "chunks".  

As far as the type of exercise-the fastest way that you can burn body fat is through a combination of strength training AND cardiovascular conditioning.  If possible, I would recommend splitting the time 50/50 between the two.  Try to keep your cardio intensity between 60-85% of you max predicted HR (220-age)*(.6-.85).  I would recommend doing higher reps (12-20) for each set that you perform and try to do as many sets as you can, time permitting.  I would also recommend full body strength training (try to do at least 1 set on each major muscle group at least twice per week, remembering to not strength train the same muscle group 2 days in a row).  Interval traning is a good way to burn more calories during cardio, so I don't think that's a bad idea-I think you just need to add strength training and do it effectively.  Change your entire exercise routine every 6-8 weeks.  I also think that based on your ht, wt, age, and activity level that 1000-1200 cals is appropriate.

If you REALLY cannot lose weight after these measures, you may want to talk to your provider about checking your thyroid (a tsh/t4 test), not "female hormones".  You are 31 for goodness sakes, the odds you are perimenopausal are extremely slim.

I work in an outpatient setting counseling patients like you 40hrs/wk and you don't have to just "live with it".  You can always do something about your weight, sometimes you have to work smarter, not harder.

hope this helps-

b
to "bobthetrainer":  Thanks for the advice. I guess I will bump up my cardio to 90 minutes and change my strenth training a bit.  However, I am a bit confused. I was told that there is such thing as exercising too much and not eating enough. Is 1000-1200 calories enough when doing 90 minutes of cardio 6 days a week?  I am such a health and exercise nut so this "not losing weight" issue has been such a struggle.
Good. Continue to eat right, increase your green vegetable intake and eat lean meats, trimming every bit of fat you see on it. Sweat...SWEAT like you never sweat before. (If you have heart conditions or anything similar, consultant a professional first).
   You will need to fast-paced intense workouts for long periods of time. You said that you were a marathon runner before so you intensity level would be high. I use to get my mother to train with good results. My personal little trick was to get her to start jogging for a few minutes and then I would push her to the fastest power-walk she could...slow her down...push her again. Your body will react to these quick changes.
   (My mother unfortunately gave up due to boredum and whatever else excuses, but just recently she started training with a friend, and now she does it again). So train with a friend if you need to get motivated more.
   Also, hit the parts of your body that have the excess weight. For example if it was your stomach, hit the rowing machine and do alot of crunches (not situps). If it is your waist, do alot of side crunches. Backside got the weight, you want to hit your Glutes so alot of uphill bike riding and squats.

I hope all goes well for you, but as I said, if you have had any previous medical conditions consult a doctor before doing anything I have advised.

God Bless.
Thanks again. I really apperciate your advice. I do have another question. You metion 90 minutes of exercise 6 days a week and that it can be broken into chunks. You also mention the weight training and that I should spilt it 50/50. Does that mean 90 minutes of cardio including weight training or should I be doing 90 minutes of cardio 6 days a week in addition to 2-3 days of weight training?
I was also wondering what types of cardio I should be doing. Is it possible that my body is used to running and that no matter how many hours I spend running each day, my body is not burning calories effeciently?  I am so bored by the bike and it seems to burn far fewer calories. I have taken up interval training to help the time pass by and also get my heartrate to hit levels it's can't maintain for a long period of time but again, I mostly do this outside running or on the treadmill.

AND, I have had the RMR test (the one you breath into with your nose plugged) done several times. Each time my RMR was around 1250 give or take 20 each time. Is it still okay to still with 1000 calories? I can do it as, I really am never that hungry in the first place.

Thanks again for such "real" advice.  I do want to get my thyroid tested but I never thought I was pre-menopausal- at least not yet at 31years.
K, I'm not getting into this bobthetrainer vs. star queen thing because you're both trying to help.  All I want to say is that I have an education in a health-related field, and I was taught if you work out anaerobically, you burn carb (which yes, turns into fat if not used), but if you work out aerobically, you burn fat (all has to do with a formula figured...mathmatical stuff).  Interval is good because you do both, but you can't maintain it for long.  I think it would be good if you could do a warm up for 10 minutes, do interval for 30 (don't KILL yourself doing the interval, but get up to 85-90% of max heart rate), and then do a little cool down/cardio for the next 20.  Work in low weight, high reps in weightlifting, and make sure you do different exercises to work the same muscles.  Variety is key.  Your body can do a thing called efficiency of movement where it adapts/gets used to the workout and won't burn as many calories.  For example, I played tennis in college.  For me, tennis was not really a workout because my body became more efficient with it.  I didn't burn as much as someone who is a beginner or didn't play as frequently.  Also, incorpotate unorganized workouts like going on a walk with a dog, friend, etc...roaming the mall, use stairs instead of elevator...simple stuff.  And bobthetrainer is right about possibly getting too little calories.  If you are starving yourself, you're metabolism is slowing down.  It's good that you eat frequently, but your body may go into protection from starvation and start storing food which turns into fat.  Good luck, and remember, everyone is different.  There is not one formula for everyone, and some people just have different body types.  Go for health before weight.  Take care!!!!
hawki, that's not exactly how it works but you are on the right track.  The body's preferred fuel source is glucose, with fat being second.  Whether aerobic or anaerobic respiration is taking place, a percentage of both is used.  Glucose is always used to a larger degree.  As a person gets closer to reaching anaerobic respiration (through increased exercise intensity), the percentage of glucose being used continues to elevate.  It's for that reason that "moderate-paced" cardio (around 60% VO2max) is often suggested for getting rid of fat most efficiently and while that's a somewhat accurate suggestion, it's not the absolute answer.  Ultimately...the greater the intensity, the more calories burned.  Someone that works at a high intensity for 30 minutes is going to burn more calories than someone working at moderate intensity for 30 minutes.
firstly, I would avoid using herbals to assist in losing weight.  There is not enough research out there on most of them proving their efficacy and/or safety.

as far as the original string is concerned, little1sk, the 90 minutes is the total amount of minutes per day, 6 days per week(so ideally, at least 45 min of strength and at least 45 of cardio).  As far as what type of cardio, honestly, it really doesn't matter as long as you are getting your heart rate up and you are enjoying (or not disliking) what you are doing.  Your body may become acclimated to running but that will not prevent you from losing weight as you are still burning calories when you run.  That being said, I would try to mix up your cardio just so you are cross training and you keep it fun.

If you did the RMR test, I would go by those results as they (based on which machine you used) are more accurate than the equations we use.  Just out of curiosity, did you use the Medgem?
Hi Bob the trainer-
I had my RMR tested with the Bodygem by HealtheTech. It's the one where your nose is plugged and you breathe through your mouth.  All 5 times I have had it tested it has been around the same. It's been 1230,1240,1270,1250,1240 (1240 being the last time a few weeks ago)
I am just trying to figure out how to make this all work. My food diary is between 1000-1200 calories. I am now going to keep it to 1000 calories only. I have bumped up my cardio even more. I am cross training with running, the elliptical, cardio-kickboxing, and an aerobic dance class. 3 times a week I weight train with a personal trainer. Sometimes, the weight trainig includes circuits, which definitely keeps my heart rate up even longer!
However, I stood on the scale today and I have gained 2 more pounds. I know weight can flucuate but I feel very frustrated.
Thanks for all your advice.
I'd recommend talking to your primary care physician about possibly checking your thyroid (tsh/t4).  Who knows, the 2lb could be muscle weight (hard to say since the scale doesn't account for that).  You also might want to ask your trainer if he/she can do a body fat test on you.  Some methods are certainly more accurate (DEXA vs calipers) but at least you'll have a baseline to compare future measures against.  Also, if the bodygem said you needed roughly 1200 cals/d for weight loss, I really wouldn't go below that level because it can actually make it more difficult for you to lose weight.  You also might want to consider seeing a Registered Dietitian but if you do, I'd make sure beforehand that they also have some type of exercise background (ACSM/ACE certification, Kinesiology Degree, etc.)

I know it can be frustrating but don't lose hope.
I just wanted to let you know that am experiencing the same problem.  Im a marathon runner and eat fairly healthy..granted I like chocolate but not excessive.  Ive never had to worry about weight gain but in the last year I have gained 10-15 lbs.  Im only 25 years old and workout at least 6 days a week with three fairly long cross country runs.  I weight train 4 days a week. I get so frustrated b/c I know I work harder than most people.  I know Im healthy but I could afford to loose some vanity lbs and I know it has effected my speed.  Most runners are faced with the problem of needing to gain weight!  I feel like all the ideal measure on weight and height out there are scewed for people that lift and have large muscle mass.  Im concerned Im overweight but not sure if its healthy weight or not?

I made an appt for this week to get blood work done to figure out if it is a thyroid or some type of hormonal problem.  

It was commforting to hear Im not the only one with this type of problem!  Thanks for all the info!

I just made an appointment to get my thyroid tested. I would love it to be the problem because there are meds to fix that. I really don't think it will be the issue though. I am very healthy person and no blood tests have ever come back with bad signs. Anyway, it's also nice to hear that there are others out there with my same problem. I am not overweight and most people probably wouldn't say I am fat but I am bigger than I would like to be and used to be. Sometimes, I think that if I just stop watching my food like a nut and take a break from the gym for 3-4 months things might work themselves out. I notice that when I used to workout a lot, I would feel great but then I would get lazy and stop. I would go back to the gym 4 months later and people would ask me what I have been doing b/c I looked much thinner. EVEN my old PT trainer thought I looked great. Now how is that?  Psychologically, I cannot stop exercising like crazy and watching every calorie I put into my body. I'll let you know how the test results after next week.
Hi!  I agree with Bobthetrainer.  Please try to check your TSH/thyroid levels.  I have been EXTREMELY active for over 5 years now.  Five years ago, I lost 60lbs & kept it off.  I am 5'8 1/2" tall & weigh 145lbs. which is good for me, HOWEVER, in the past year I have increased my exercising (all different types) 90 minutes per day EVERY DAY on my treadmill or air-dyne bike (switch daily).  I have NOT LOST EVEN 1 LB.  Well, found out in December, that I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - underactive thyroid.  I sincerely hope that you do NOT have this, but it would be worth checking into.  At 42 years old on the 4th of August, I am now in menopause(early) - Dr. did the hormone tests for it & states that this was most probably caused by the thyroid not being addressed.

Good Luck to you & please let us know what you've found out!!

Free Bird82
Well. I just has my blood drawn today. The results should be in tomorrow. The doctor said he doubts I have an underactive thyroid based on the fact that I have no other symptoms except weight gain over the last couple of years.  I'll let you know the results.  By they way, at your height and weight, you are skinny!
Hi again!  Thanks for the compliment (being skinny) - but as I tell people:  The exercises that I do, are what people do to actually LOSE WEIGHT.  Being hypo, I have to do this much only to maintain.  I would like to have the OPTION of weight loss if I want as I'm SURE YOU UNDERSTAND THAT ONE!!

P.S.  Again, I stress to you that I certainly hope you do NOT have the hypothyroid condition & they can help you with the weight loss in other ways, but I let mine go for so long because I didn't have true symptoms other than weight issues either.  I didn't even care to see a doctor about that because I naturally assumed they wouldn't believe me when I said how much I exercise/eat.  I did, however, toward the end (before diagnosis), have severe heart palpatations which prompted me to see my dr. who then said, "let's just check the thyroid".  I had dry/brittle hair & nails, but not to the extreme that others have/had, so again, I assumed it was due to 1)age & 2) well-water in our rural town.  Just now I'm having severe hair breakage & it just figures that it's right in the front where my bangs/fringe should be!!  It's disgusting & frightening all at the same time.  This disease is not for the vain ones, I can tell you that!!

Have a great day....Good luck.....Please keep us posted.....Thoughts & prayers go out to you!!

Free Bird82
I got my results back today. My thyroid tests are normal, as expected. I am back to the drawing board on how to lose weight. I am so frustrated and tired now. Could it be in my head? If I stop thinking about it, I will lose weight? I wonder if I stop working out so much and stop monitoring my eating if I will actually lose weight. Is it possible to gain weight from over-exercising and undereating? Like I said, I eat between 1000-1200 calories a day. Now I am trying not to go above 1000 calories. I have bumped up my workout to 60min of cardio 5-6 days a week. 3 of those days I do additional weight training for about 30-45min. Is that too much exercise and not enough calories. Should I up one or lower the other?

Litte1sk
I am hyperthyroid and have had the opposite problem in the past.  I am now in remission from Graves disease and my thyroid tests are all normal. Recently, I have put on 12 lbs. very quickly.  I have been told in the past, that when you put weight on very quickly it is more than likely fluid and not fat.  Can this be the problem?  Also, little1sk, I think that you may just have a slightly distorted view of yourself.  At your height and weight, you are not fat.  When I was younger, I never weighed more that 82lbs.  When I started to gain weight I freaked out.  It took years to realize that when I was 82lbs., I was toooo skinny , not healthy.  When I gained some weight I actually looked better.  Unfortunatly, right now because of my thyroid problems, I am having other issues.  Of course, everyone knows what weight they are comfortable with, but as long as you are healthy I would say ease up on yourself a bit.
Thanks Duchess. It's nice to hear. I just work so hard. I wonder if I cut back on working myself to death if things will change.
little1sk:

I wonder why no one here has suggested you eat a little more food. If you RMR is 1250, you should be eating at least that much. Even the most basic BMI calculator will showe you this!!!Eating too few calories is probably causing you to burn muscle which would explain the 4% body fat increase. You are already doing 45 minutes of cardio so you should be burning fat/carbs based on your workout intensity. You don't need to eat so few cals. Long term weight loss doesn't work by depriving your body of nutrients.

The link below is a basic BMI calculator. This should help you. My estimate is that you should be eating at least 1300 even 1400 calories to properly fuel your body to slowly burn fat while retain lean muscle mass.

My recommendation is to eat more food including lean protein: egg whites, chicken, fish as well as lots of veggies and fruits. As far as carbs go oatmeal, sweet potatoes and brown rice are best. Whole wheat bread won't hurt either. I hope this helps!!!

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

I have the EXACT same problem as you do.  I have this 8-10 lbs that I CAN't lose.  It is so frustrating.  I'm running, weight training, but only eating 1400 calories.  My personal trainer and nutritionist are saying I'm putting my body into a starvation mode, which means it will hold onto the "fat" I have.  So...they are telling me to EAT EAT EAT, and get up to 1665.  Of course, it has to be the right kinds of foods, and a good balance between protein, carbs and fat.  Now my RMR was 1220 or so, and after 3 months it dropped down to 991.  That is because it adjusted for the lack of food my body was getting, due to overtraining.  Also, take a cheat day once a week, and eat a ton of calories and whatever you want.  You'll be so sick the next day you won't want that **** for another week.  This is very hard for me to do, as I am not a big eater.  It takes everything I have just to eat the 1400 calories.  My suggestion is cut back your workouts a little, stay in your lower zones for some workouts (as they burn more fat), and eat healthy proteins, carbs and fats and get your calories up.  I would add in 150 calories every 3 days and see how you feel.  I'll bet if you do this for a couple of weeks, you will see a difference in how you feel and the pounds will melt off.  This is what I'm going to do.  So...hang in there and keep me posted, sounds like we are in the same boat.  Except I'm 38 with 3 kids. Good Luck!
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me ok..well im 5'3 19 years old and for the past few years i been wanting to lose 20-30 lbs i want to be 125 again same weight as when i was 14 i wentt from what i am now to 125 in about 2 months thats when i first started doing cardio and ate right now im 155 pushin 160....ppl tell me all teh time i dont look 160 i guss i look betwen 134-140 im doing eveything i did befor but the weight wont come off!!i work out 3-6 days a week i try an eat healthy least 80% of the time and 20% bad..but its been realy depresing latly its like when i dont try to lose weight ill lose a few pounds if i try i gain a few pounds someone pleas give me advice
my e-mails

***@****
This is crazy, I don't understand what my body wants from me either. I am 5'7 and weigh in at 145. For the last 3 months I have been working out with a trainer 2wice a week with weights for 45 minutes - upper body one day and lower the other. I take 2 step - cardio classes a week ( this includes weights the last 20 minutes) and do another 2 forms of additional  cardio weather it's jogging or treadmill for 60min. I am in the gym 5-6 times a week. I do feel my skin has firmed up a little, but I have only lost 4 pounds. I started at 148. I eat very healthy five to six times a day and do not go over 1400-1600 calories.
Same questions, why can't I lose weight? I have not lost any at all this month... I know I am putting my whole heart into reaching my 135 goal, and I can't seem to make it...
I am so deppressed. I have friends that are thinner than me, and they don't even work out...NOT FAIR!
Mags, when you work out you are trying to build more muscle. It is like a double edge sword, gaining muscle mass which is what you notice in the skin toneness, will cause weight gain. It is a good weight gain if there is such a thing. I hate scales, but like to use the mirror, it doesn't lie.
Ok, I can't figure it out and it's really frusterating. I'm 5"7 and weight about 113 pounds. Recently as in the past four months I have gained like 10 pounds and I don't know why. I used to weight like around 104 to about 105. I'm basically eating the same, maybe a little bit less, I'm not exactly sure, but the point is I work out like an hour to an hour and a half each day of cardio (usually on the eliptical, somtimes I run outside though)  and I eat like about 2000 calories a day. Usually, I eat this in a day, some pita chips, a cliff bar, apple, peanut butter and jelly sandwich on whole grain, fresh green beans, whole grain spaghetti with marinaria sauce with veggies in  the sauce too and parmesan cheese and like light ben and jerry's ice cream. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Is it because I do the same workout everyday? Because I don't eat enough calories even though it seems like I am eating tons? Or am I working out too much? Help!
I just have to say that women who are menopausal, perimenopause, and postmenopausal CAN definitely lose weight. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy with bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy, (removal of the uterus, ovaries and fallopian tubes) 10 years ago at the age of 32. Right after that I went through a major depression and consequently began taking Paxil. I proceeded to gain 40 pounds pretty quickly, in about 6 months time!

Because it is an old wives tale that after you get "spayed" you get fat and lazy...(or is that about dogs...anyway, I digress)...but because of what used to be believed before people learned more about women's health, I thought the weight gain was from my surgery and the fact that I went through "forced menopause” and was now postmenopausal. Unbeknownst to me at the time the weight gain was actually because of the Paxil.

After much research, several trips to various doctors, an appointment with an nutritionist, and a trip to the psychiatrist, I stopped the Paxil, went on another medication (that didn’t have weight gain as a side effect), lowered my caloric intake to about 1200-1400 a day (and didn't go below 1200), started exercising, and stopped eating JUNK I lost 30 lbs within 3 to 4 months. I was satisfied with that weight and started eating a little more but later got back to business and lost the other 10 and kept if off for 6 years.

Unfortunately I went through depression again, after my dad died and my mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, and went on Lexapro this time because the doctor said it didn't make people gain as much weight. However she was incorrect because I have gained some weight back. However, since then I am no longer taking Lexapro, so now losing the weight again.
Hello! I am so glad you posted! I am 36 years old-had a hysterectomy (leaving ONLY my left ovary) and I have gained about 45 lbs. But just right before that, I had a baby and had gained 40 lbs. So total weight gain over the past 5 years has been 85 lbs. Being only 5' 3/4" -I am considered obese. :( I had always been active, and never really had to worry about my weight, but it seems no matter what I do, I can not lose the weight. Shortly after the hyster-I was put on anti-depressants (in order to keep from killing everyone around me LOL)which started out with Paxil -which I complained to the dr about my weight so he changed to Lexapro-gained even more weight-new dr put me on Effexor XR and said it should help with the weight gain. OHHH boy has it ever- but in the opposite direction. Since I have been on that stuff, I have put on more weight. Lately, I got really really serious about losing this weight (i am discusted with myself) and have considered weaning myself off of the Effexor XR to see if that might help me, but I am so scared I will go back into the depressed mode and the anxiety will come back (which is pretty severe in my family). I just started working out about a month ago. I have lost 16 lbs, but am stuck at that. I mainly have been walking on the treadmill and running/jogging in the park. I guess I need to step it up a bit according to what Bobthetrainer says above. I too have always put the blame of the weight gain on the hyster-because the OB/GYNO had stated to me before the surgery that since the hormones will be out of whack, the average weight gain after a hyster is about 40 lbs. If you don't mind me asking what new medication did you take that didn't have a weight gain side effect?

In addition to all this, by reading the "spats" above I am even more confused as to what the best way to lose weight by exercising is. I have heard that the treadmill and elipticals are the best route. Any suggestions as to how long, how many times a week, and what I should be doing to get the weight off. Maybe I should hire a personal trainer-which has crossed my mind many times, but I have 4 kiddos that steal all my money. (not to mention all the other bills).

I appreciate any suggestions-professional or personal experiences)
well ur losing fat for sure, but weight im not sure if it even matters, dont worry about your weight. YOUR losing fat not muscle. if u were to lose weight like a noticeable amount 4lbs or somethin that would of been lean muscle loss
Hi Bob, I have been running 3-6 days per week for the past 3 months and have hardly lost any weight only maintained. I am very busy and I usually eat the following:

English Muffin w/ Peanut Butter for Breakfast
Apple & low fat cheese for snack
Lean Cuisine for lunch
Jello Fat Free pudding for snack
Lean Cusine & Glass of wine for dinner

Sometimes I will have chicken or pasta, but with my busy schedule that is mostly what I eat. What am I doing wrong? Is it the Lean Cusines????

Redzie
I have a question, bobthetrainer,

My weight loss was going great, but now it's plateaued.  I eat three small meals a day, things like nonfat cottage cheese, at least five or six servings of fruits and vegetables, grains, avoid "bad" carbs, sugar, processed foods, and bad fats entirely.  I don't eat the stuff like Lean Cuisine, etc. because it's processed and it contains too much sodium for me.  I drink three litres of water a day, one in the morning, one in the afternoon, and one in the early evening.  I take vitamins.  My blood work is normal.

I do 70 minutes of cardio a day, every day, usually on a recumbant bike.  I do weight training for my arms, but not legs as they seem very toned and strong.  I am starting crunches.  My extra weight is around my hips and buttocks, I have almost no "belly fat."

My resting pulse rate is only about 50.  I also find it hard to get my pulse up enough while exercising.  What should my target pulse rate be for optimal weight loss?

I'm going to be adding interval training, but I don't know when to "step it up" and how long the interval should last.  Can you give me some advice on that.

What do you think I should do to start losing weight again?
Oh, thank you very much.  I really appreciate any help you can give me.
I am 36 yr female, I workout 6-7 days a week- spin classes 4 days, rollerblading alternate days and weight training with a pt 3 days a week. I eat pretty healthy. Maybe not enough veggies but I have had a hard time to digest them for two years. I have recently turned to wheat grass and juicing to get some. I am 5'7' 147lbs..I have been trying to lose 5 % body fat for a yr. I'm so frustrated.  I eat approx 1200 cal a day...I"m very healthy, looking forward to my first triathlon in Feb. But at 36 this has been the hardest time I've ever had to lose this 5%. I'm on the verge of wanting to be bulimic or going to get that 5% sucked out by a good Dr. I really want to do it the "right" way but man it's so frustrating. I feel like all I do is for nothing.
any advice is much appreciated, thank you in advance.
p.s. Bob, I have had 4 trainers since I was 20. My trainer now is the most incredible.I can truly say that I work out now with greater intensity than I ever have. what gives? I can't ask him because there is a language barrier, I live in Thailand. he is Thai. It does make it difficult to ask these ?'s thanks again
Bob, where are you? We need your advice. Come back soon!
I too am having a similar problem. For the past 3 weeks I have been watching what I eat, not so much calories, but I eat several small snacks 2-3 times during the day, such as popcorn, or other 100 calorie snack packs (max 300-400 calories), then I go to the gym and do some weight training (abs, legs, back and arms), then I do cardio for another 30-40 minutes on high intensity (stair climber, elliptical, treadmill, bike) and then I come home and have a regular dinner, yet I have cut my portions in half. So whatever I normally would eat (i.e. spaghetti, steak, etc.) I cut it all in half.  So my average daily calorie intake I would put at 1500-1800 and I work out until I burn at least 500-600 calories. I am 5'5 and weight 190.

My problem is that I dont look or feel like I am loosing any weight, yet I can fit into several pairs of pants that I could not have 3 months ago, yet some of my regular pants that I normally where at the bigger sizes still fit the same. So how can I fit into pants that I could not have 3 months ago, but my normal pants still fit the same (should'nt they be looser) I just dont get it.  Oh, I am also drinking a lot more water.

What am I doing wrong?

I am sure glad to hear others having these same difficulties.  

I am a 58 year old female.  I work out at the gym, seven days a week for 75-100 minutes, burning a minimum of 800 calories a day.  

I am on a controlled diet of 1200 calories a day in a weight management program and while others in the program are dropping weight on a weekly basis and doing far less exercise, I'm going nowhere.  

My body mass has redistributed itself and I've dropped several sizes.  I LOOK like I've lost weight.  But in reality, I've gained four lbs in the past two weeks and I've only lost 9 lbs since August.  It's so depressing!

Like the others, I had a thryoid test done and the results were normal.

I have Type II diabetes.  I also have a pituitary tumor.  Would either of these make it more difficult to lose weight?

I tried to lose weight last year on another diet and after 21 consecutive days at the gym, I did not lose a single lb!  Now, it's been several months and I keep working harder and harder, but the scales have been so unkind!   :(
Personally, I think you're doing great.  You look thinner and you've dropped fat, as evidenced by dropping several sizes as well as the way you look.  I think you're undoubtedly putting on muscle and since muscle weighs more than fat, you could even gain a few pounds more and still be slimmer and have less fat.  Congratulations!  I think the same thing is happening to me.  Don't go by the scales, go by the tape measure and your sizes.

I'm sorry, I don't know if diabetes or a pituitary tumor could make weight hard to lose, but I don't think diabetes can.

Even if we aren't losing weight, we are gaining valuable muscle and aerobic health by working out six or seven days a week.

I think you're doing great! :)
Well I am 23 and 5'8''. I used to weigh 135lbs eating healthy amd working out 7 days a week. I got down to 105lbs by eating 1200 calories a day and continuing to exercise for 2 hours a day. In the past year, I have gained 65lbs and still continue to work out the same and now I eat 1000-1200 calories a day. Does anyone think this is crazy besides me? I have been to 20 different doctors and no one can find anything wrong with me throught tests and what not. I would think to gain 65lbs in a year, someone would have to sit on the couch all day and eat fast food and junk!! Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm going crazy..............
If you're exercising two hours a day, you're building muscle and gaining weight.  And 105 pounds is too thin for someone whose 5 '8" even if you're small boned.  I'm small boned and I'm 5' 9 1/2" and I was even a model - at one time - and I didn't weight 105 then, doing high fashion modeling.  I know a man who works out about two hours a day and he's only 5' 9" and he's 180 pounds.  His percentage of body fat is very, very low, though, three or four percent, I think.  He doesn't look fat at all because he isn't, but he's heavy.  He just works out so much, he has a lot of muscle.  If you're going to work out that much, you're going to build muscle and building muscle is going to cause you to gain more actually pounds than someone who sits on the couch and eats fast food.  They'll look fatter and have more actual body fat, but they might weight less.  I know.  I work out that much and I don't lose weight, either, though I do get slimmer.  You might want to cut your work outs down to forty minutes of cardio and just a little weight use for toning, but even then, you'll build some muscle.  Or, if you really want to be super thin, see a nutritionist.  The weight machines, if you're using them, are going to put a lot of muscle on you and that is going to put weight on you.
Sorry for the typing errors in the post above.

Also, it's what's in the calories that count, not the amount of the calories, themselves.  Cut out sugar.  All of it.  Sugar causes our pancreas to release insulin and insulin causes the body to store fat.  One "harmless little cookie" is harmful, in terms of retaining fat.  Lots of water is necessary.  And of course, no saturated or trans fats.
Ok, I appreciate your input but I'm already as healthy as I can be. I used to lift just as much weight when I was 135 and 105lbs. I never got to be bulky like am now. I know 105 was way too low, I just want to be back around 135. Also, I don't eat any sugar at all and I haven't for a long time. I eat exactly the same, even healthier than I did at 105 and 135. I don't drink any alcohol, or eat any simple carbs, white stuff. I know more about nurition and exercise than probably 95% of the population. My doctors have already told me that a nutritionist would'nt do me any good b/c I know almost just as much as them. Thank you for the input though!
I think 135 is good, too.  I don't blame you for wanting to get back to that.  I want to lose a few pounds, too, and my body doesn't want to and I have no idea why, either.  I eat all the right things, do the right amount of cardio and toning, but my weight stays the same.  It's puzzling.  I'm thinking of changing from cycling for cardio to walking, as I assumed my body was "used" to cycling by now.  I do know we're supposed to change our workout routine every six to eight weeks, so I'm going to try that.  Good luck to you (and to me! LOL).  The weight seems to come so easily and go so hard, though mine doesn't even go up now.  It just stays the same.
One more thought:  do you vary your aerobic exercise routine?  Like do aerobics classes for six weeks, then maybe a treadmill or walking outdoors for six weeks, then maybe a bike for six weeks?  I think our bodies just "get used" to what we do, aerobic or not, and we stop losing weight.  I don't believe in a "set point," per se but I do believe in weight plateaus because I think the body adapts.  I've been doing ninety minutes of cardio daily on a bike and I'm not losing weight.  I've added weight training for toning and still not losing.  I think my body is just too used to the bike.  I love the bike, so I'm still going to do it, but I'm also adding an interval walking program to my workouts and hope it helps.  Maybe changing your exercise program might work for you.  I don't know, but it's worth a try.
Bob!!! or anyone !!! please help!! OK I used to be 59kg and I am 5ft 3in tall so I started going to a kickboxing class to lose weight. I go kickboxing 4 times a week plus i train at home. I have PUT ON four KGs!!! what is going on!! yes im much stronger and fitter but i cant seem to shift the weight. I eat less too.

please help
You're building a lot of muscle and muscle weighs more than fat.  Naturally, anyone who goes to kickboxing class four times a week each week, and trains at home, is going to put on some weight.  Don't go by the scales.  Go by your BMI and inches.
Thie is extreme but it seems to be working. I know all of the medical professionals out there state if you lose more than 2 lbs per week it is unhealthy and you are losing muscle not actual fat. Well I think I have found a way to change that. Not only is it working wonders for me but I have advised a couple of my friends and we are all losing actual fat! Well let me start by saying I also had a thyroid problem. My thyroid was overactive and I was able to eat everything under the sun without gaining weight. About 5 years ago my Dr removed my thyroid because it could not be controled with medication. In that time I put on about 70 lbs! Nothing I tried worked I would exercise & diet lose 15-20 lbs and back to my old eating habbits. Anyway latley I've been reading up on different diets & excersise programs. I decided to use what I like from a combination of diets and programs and I found one that does the trick. This is a little complicated so let me try to explain this as best as I can. Everyone knows 1 gram of fat has 3,500 calories. So what I've done was calculate my BMR then ny TDEE. I subtracted this # by the amount of calories I eat in a day mulitiply that # by 7 and divide that figure by 3500. I've been losing 4-5 lbs per week doing this. I even lost 2 lbs X-Mas week with all of the hoilday food!. I try to get in 5 meals per day and spread out my calories. The only catch to this is you really have to work out to your max everyday. I combine weight lifting & cardio. I work out 45 mins before work and 45 mins when I get off. If anyone has any questions or would like more details give me a call it's hard to explain in such a short text.
Bob had deserted us! :(  I wish he'd come back!
This post is old and I just discovered it, but eating small meals around the three solid meals will help to speed up the metabolism. It sounds like you have a pretty solid handle on diet. I would look at eating a small snack about every 2 hours between meals...and when I say small I mean half a power bar or granola bar. Also someone said something about getting more fat cells..By adulthood we have every fat cell we will ever have. It is a genetic make up in all of us. The only variance is the size of the fat cells not the number of them, Fat cells die and they are replaced. Even people who have liposuction have the same number of fat cells within 2 years of the surgery..they are just smaller. Also it is natural to gain weight as you age; however at 31 I don't think you are quite at this point. As suggested before, weight training should be done to build muscle..which subsequently burns more calories than other body tissues. Also when you are doing cardio, use a heart monitor and stay in your target range...google "target heart rate" to get yours. If you are pushing yourself beyond the range, you will not be burning fat but rather the most readily available fuel for your body which may in fact be muscle since the body can turn on itself when faced with a challenge. Also know that when doing cardio the first 20 minutes is usually burning the calories that you have recently taken into your body....After that 20 minutes, assuming you are staying in your heart rate range, fat burning begins. You may in fact be pushing yourself too hard during cardio and going beyond a target heart rate that is optimal for fat burning. That is my guess at what you are experiencing.
Workouts.Vs.Calories is a BIG mystery..
It is very important that you find your balance between your caloric intake and your output.

The ledger has to be balanced. Too many or too few calories will back fire.
I honestly will say I have no answers for any one because I am going through the same ordeal excpet I eat whatever I feel like in moderation. I do aerobics and once a while I do weights. Watching the biggest loser, a reality TV show shade some light for me. It was shocking to me when after all the working out (we are talking over fours hours a day) and strict diet there were some weeks that these contestants actually gained weight or did not lose any. I remember at one point Jill their trainer, said she was to revist the food intake to figure out if they were on the right amount of calories. She found that for one of them, the calories he was taking were actually fewer than what he needed to take. He was bumped up and walla....
A couple of comments:

-Don't focus on the scale.  In fact, throw the scale away.  Get a tape measure, a full length mirror and a camera.  Measure yourself every week.  Take pictures of yourself (front, back and side) every week.  And after a month or so (if you're really working out as much as most of you say you are) look at the differences.  The changes come with time, but they're hard to see.  

-Anyone ever heard of Body for Life?  It's just a suggestion, but it works and it's pretty easy to follow.  At least check it out if you haven't heard of it.  

-When you look at the physiques of elite athletes, who is the most impressive?  In my opinion, it's the sprinters.  Lean, buff and in fantastic shape.  What's that tell you?  It's all about the intensity.  If you work out hard in short bursts versus jogging for hours on end at 60% of your max heart rate, you're going to get different results.  Jogging for hours on end is very good for you, don't get me wrong.  But it's not necessarily going to get you the body you want.  Just some suggestions.  Take care!
Hi. I have been reading all the posts and can relate to many of you out there and was hoping someone can give me some advice.

I am 36,  5"6, weight 182lb, I exercise 5-6 times a week, from spinning, to Pilates, to jogging, cross trainer, trying to keep it varied. To be honest as I have only been at it for about 1 month, I havent got into too much detail with heart rates at this point, just concentrating on getting into exercise for now and making it a habit. I also have a trainer once a week to keep me focused. I have been eating really healthy, although I must confess with the odd chocolate bar here and there, so I would say good for about 80% of the time, which is 80% better than how I ate over 1 month ago.

What I dont understand is, when I started on this plan from going to not exercising that much to training alot, you would think the weight would start dropping off in the beginning, esp as I am quite heavy and have lots to lose, but it isnt, i've only lost 1 lb.
I have done fad liquid diets in the past - could it be this has messed up my system, if so is there anything which can help repair the damage and get it reved up again?
I feel I need to be more strict on my diet and cut right back but I want to do it the right way. Can anyone recommed a simple plan for fat/weight loss, one which I dont have to weigh everything and is easy to follow, I know what I am like if its too complicated then I wont stick to it. I am good at eating healthy but think my portion sizes and too big.
I have had my thoriod tested and its all ok, fortunately. Its frustrating as you put in so much effort and seem to get little back.
Its so temping to follow some mad diet but I really dont want to do down that road again.I Any adivce would be appreciated.

Thank you
x
Kaci
I would rule out a medical reason first.  Hypothyroidism and insulin resistance can make it very difficult to lose weight.  Get tested for these two conditions to see if they could be the reason you are having difficulty.  Testing  for the thyroid include; TSH, Free T4, Free T3, and an antibody test (morning test)  Testing for insulin resistance is a glucose, insulin level, and an A1C.
Bobthetrainer,

I have been on a low carb diet and have been dancing for an hour and a half to two hours and I don't seen to be losing any weight. Can you give advice?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Diet chart is the way to go, what is low carb for you may not be proper  for your body to lose weight. Go to a dietician and plan a neat diet chart of 500 cals less than the recommended calories of your age and height, take proteins, minerals, vitamins, high fibre carbohydrate, some fat without cholesterol.

+

dance which is intense so that you lose atleast 500 cals in 1 to 11/2 hrs.

Take care, as with this you will lose weight!
This is exactly what I am going through....I started in March to finally get healthy...eating the right things and excercizing 5x week and I have gained 9 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I feel awful.  I cannot understand why this is happening.  I hate to say this, but jeez, I should have left well enough alone.  I was a normal person before now I am completely consumed with my weight.  I feel fat and ugly...I work so hard...eat between 1300-1500 calories a day.  I just want to get back to my starting weight of 120 (I'm 5'3").  My goal was to get to 115...so much for that.  I'm so desperate.   this is taking over my whole life.  Please help me, someone.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Do not go desperate. This is not end of everything. Time and perseverance will pay.
Human body requires particular calories at particular age. You have to calculate your BMI and also know your Basal Metabolic rate.
There are many types of exercises, but you lose maximum in running, swimming, skipping and some elliptical ones.
You must not change your lifestyle completely to lose weight by following all advices.
You discuss with a dietician what all you consume and based on that prepare something for 1500 calories per day.
You discuss with a Physical trainer where you lose maximum calories and which form of exercise is suitable to you for losing maximum weight.
Start with 300 calories and go till 600-800 calories per day and you surely will lose weight as a long term in 3-6 months time. Take care!
Eating too few calories and exercising can cause your body to go into starvation mode.  I was going through the same issues as many people on here.  I was eating between 1200 -1500 calories per my dietitian and started weight training and cardio 6 days a week with barely anything happening.  I started to log what I normally ate before this diet and I was eating at leas 2100-2500 calories so when I dropped my body thought I was starving.  What helped me is to add a protein/amino drink that I sipped on with every meal; so in other words I had a few gulps with breakfast, lunch and dinner.  The other thing that really helped me is eating the majority of my calories at breakfast and lunch.  If that doesn't work... chinese herbalist really helped with my hormonal imbalances as well -( I'm 42 so my hormones were a bit out of wack).
Avatar_dr_m_tn
To add a few things there...

Divided meals with lots of salads, fresh vegetables and lean meat with full grains is always good when you limit your calories.
Your output should always be less than your input to lose calories.

bnevergiveup is absolutely right in this thing that you  have to take major calories in breakfast and lunch as compared to dinner as due to the full day activity you will lose these calories.
Time and perseverance pays and do not starve, eat properly!
Take care!
I have been working out consectutivley alternating with strength training and cardio 5-6 times a week with racquetball on Saturdays for 2 hours. I have dropped only 5 pounds, very disappointing. But more importantly is that I have shin splints, I have a history of them and would like to know what I can do for them other than ibuprofen. I have lost inches but still very saddened about the little weight loss. Any other suggestions.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

If you're currently suffering from shin splints, it's important to start making an effort to perform shin splint stretches on a regular basis. I also suggest you to wear appropriate shoes as this is very important for shin splints. Follow up with an expert orthopedician and go ahead.

Take care!
I am 30 years old.  I started over a month ago working out 5 times a week.  I mix it up with treadmill, bike and weight training.  I have never been over 200 lbs and have always looked smaller than I really am.  I just weighed myself and have gained 6 pounds from when I started.  Thisis really frusterating.  I eat well, but maybe not as often or as much as I should.  I have never had this problem before.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.  I hate the way I look and want to feel better about myself.  
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

The most important thing is to prepare a good diet chart, you might be missing on the calorie calculation of your breakfast, lunch and dinner, take the help of a dietician and based on your BMI you can plan a diet chart of around 1800 to 2000 calories per day.

Sometimes with weight training you gain muscle and lose some fat initially and you gain weight, I would like you to calculate the body fat content before starting again. Take the help of a dietician or a physical trainer. Continue cardio and with sustained cardio you will lose weight.

Take care!
hi i am 43 yrs old and i just recently started a workout program at a gym ...I am 5' tall and weighed 103 to start....i have only been going for two weeks now and i noticed that i have gained weight...i now weigh 107.....i do cardio first then i do weights on legs back,shoulders, arms and so on....and i am having a problem with the weight gain...im scared to gain.....i dont eat meat and i try not to count calories but i catch myself doing it....i wont eat more than 8 or 900 calories a day....in fear of gaining weight....i started the gym to keep me active and tone some....i had lost 50 lbs and kept it off for two years...and that is y i fear gaining so much....i catch myself weighing constantly....i dont know why im gaining this weight....i wont let myself go back to the weight i was two years ago....ever.
Hi everyone,

5'0', 114 lbs, 31 yrs old.  I have worked out my whole life, I was a college athlete, etc., and I am vigilant about what I eat.  Around the new year, I weighed 109 lbs, but wanted to drop 4-5 lbs.  So, my resolution was to go a little longer, and a little harder, with the exercise.  I eat 1200-1300 cals/day, which I track through livestrong.com and exercise 45-60 mins (cardio - 5-6 days a week, and 20-30 mins weights (2-3 days a week).   Ever since kicking up my exercise duration and reducing cals, I have gained 6 lbs.  So frustrating.  I don't know what to do!
I am 33 and a mother of a 7 year old. I am 5'1" and I weight 130lbs. Recently, I started exercising again after religiously not going to the gym. I share the same feeling the frustration of not being able to get into my pre-baby body (112lbs).

However, the obsession of getting into the old cloths really is overrated. We should love our bodies. Take care of our bodies by ensuring the proper input and output. It's not the end of the world if we can't look the way we do in the past.

Embrace changes and embrace the blessings that come with it!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

I would agree with you!

You have to balance the input and output to stay at that particular weight. If you want to further lose then you have to increase the intensity of workouts and cardio and burn the extra calories.

Do it gradually and do not worry and do not get stressed as with time and patience and endurance you will lose the extra weight.

Eat healthy and plan a diet chart with the help of a dietician. Eat fiber rich carbohydrates, proteins and restricted fat with food rich in vitamins and minerals.

Take care!
Thanks for the advice.

Actually loving the new routine eventhough I am not losing any weight. In fact, I actually gained a little bit in the first few weeks. LOL! I think it's my body adjusting to the new exercise routine and telling it to conserve energy.

After 7 weeks of execise, I'm now at 132lbs but my clothes fit better, I have more energy and my moods are better too. Again, loving the changes and the normal curves on my body.

Weight is just number. How we live our lives and take care of our bodies should be the priority.

Love your body cause if you don't, who will?

Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

If you have a BMI between 23 and 25 and do some form of regular physical exercise then there is no concern.

At 132 pounds and 5 feet 1inches you have a BMI of  24.9!

Take care!
Thanks for the advice....I am borderline overweight in the BMI measurement. This week has been a disaster due to an unplanned trip to Dubai. Trying to get back on track. I probably have crossed that line without knowing.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Being physically active, with a BMI less than 25 and all vitals normal with no family history of hypertension or diabetes then there is no reason to worry!

Take care!
Actually Doc. though I am active and have BMI in the normal range at the moment, both my mom and dad have hypertension. My dad and my brother (he's one year older) are on insuline for diabetes.

Yes, I need worry. My cholestrol level is also borderline like my BMI, but my sugar level is normal since I take alternative sweeteners.

Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Then follow up for blood tests and examination of your vitals every 6 months with a physician.

Take controlled amounts of salts and discuss about your diet with a dietician as this is important for your future so follow this strictly along with your physical exercises.

Take care!
Thanks for the advice. Will do that next week to make sure I'm on track.

:)
This is a great thread.  I know this has been touched on many times in this thread but I also am reading and seeing that the message is not really getting through to some people.  This is the issue of making sure that the exercise routine is being changed very frequently - in fact I never do the same routine in any workout.  By doing the same routine, as many have mentioned, the body does really learn how to adapt and do that very same routine more efficiently.  This applies to running very much so.  If a person says,  I am jogging 6 days a week for 5 to 7 miles each time, then there body learns to adapt.  In some cases it adapts so well that it would be similar to a person not doing any exercise at all.  That is why is can feel to many people that they are exercising to death and not seeing results.  I like to chnage my routine every single time i exercise so that I am sore each and every time.  I have benefited greatly from "Turbulence Training" system where i have learned a lot of this.  Google it as I can't remember the guys name- he is from canada.  It should not take 90 minutes a day 6 days a week of exercise- that is a LOT!  And doing long minutes on an exercise unit (you name it) day after day becomes (to me) the most boring thing in the world - let alone that it does not really do much good in terms of helping a person to lose fat - in fact it just agrevates the joints.  Okay- stepping down off a soap box.  Thanks everyone.
i just had an epiphany while reading this message board.  it's because we're not eating enough!  i too am trying to lose the dreaded last five pounds.  it seems impossible.  it just won't go anywhere.  i've been cutting and cutting the calories and running like a madwoman.  i need to eat more!  i remember when i was in college i was doing just about the same exercise load as now (i was an athlete), but i was eating a TON more.  i was eating all the time.  people used to say i must have a hollow leg where i put all the food.  small meals, big meals, whatever.  i thought i was naturally thin, which i am not!  my family is generally on the heavier side.  it was actually the high calorie/intensive exercise balance that was keeping me thin.  i didn't eat healthily, but i was young and my metabolism was insane.  the epiphany is that i need to eat the same amount now (a lot) but healthier foods in order to get the weight off.  that and continue the exercise of course.  there's nothing to be afraid of in 1500 plus calories if the foods i'm eating are healthy, i.e. no potato chips.  i think that perhaps 1200 and below, while seeming like the logical thing to do, is actually what is making those five pounds so stubborn.  yes!  i get to eat more!  finally!  i've been so conditioned (i think) to believe that eating more means more weight that even though i have heard many times that 1500 calories is a good amount for me, i haven't truly believed it until now.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

For any adult female with normal vitals regular diet of around 1800kcal should be planned. Dieting for couple of months may be stretched to around 1500kcal but the diet should be planned by a professional dietician. You should not miss any minerals, vitamins, carbohydrates and proteins. Avoid fast food, junk food, fried food and desserts.

Change to different exercises along with cardio and practice dance, yoga, pilates, aerobics, sports, swimming and then you will lose the last few kilograms. Enjoy the routine and do not stress or stretch your body to unreasonable limits.

Take care!
You are simply eating to many calories per day reduce 500 from what you are doing. Your body has adjusted to what you are doing shake it up. Find your maintenance caloric intake. 1200 - that is what you need to maintain - cut 3500 more calories per week and you will shed lbs.

Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

In my opinion medically if you squeeze your calories you need to understand if you are eating right or not. You should not take your body metabolism into ketosis.

Get to know your metabolic rate and also measure your BMI and talk with a dietician as metabolic rate is different for each of us.

Take care!
find something important to worry about,  nothing i have read here sounds like serious weight issues.  and you do not gain weight just because you hit thirty. this is a gross generalization and doing cardio  amd weights does not mean you maintain weight.  It ultimately comes down to calories in amd calories out.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

I agree balancing input and output is important.

Depending on your body weight you should control input by diet plan and control your output by various physical exercises, sports and cardio.

After 20 years of age the long bones fuse and there is no more growth.

Take care!
i struggle to eat right and exersice when i have my period. I just feel so lazy and want to eat everything. Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Hormones are the culprit for this. Hormones play a big role in a woman's menstrual cycle.

It is important to eat healthy and whenever you are binging during your menstrual period eat lots of salad, fiber and fruit. By this you will not put on calories, do not touch junk food, fast food or desserts during this hour of food cravings.

Take care!
I would suggest switching up the running with swimming every once in a while.
Star queen: "Exercising at a fast (aerobic)pace will burn fat, exercising slowly will build muscle.  If you combine the two, weight is maintained."

That is not true. 0_0

Cardio helps to lose weight, but combined cardio with toning and weight lifting gets you better results.

Exercising slowly will build muscle? Since when? If anything doing it slow won 't get you any results at all.

You can easily put a stop to gaining any more muscle by toning, which is basically weight lifting and doing strength activities at the same weight and pace every time. But never stop the toning! The toning makes it all work better.

Muscle in women hardly ever makes us look bigger. It makes us weigh more when we step on the scale, but if anything it makes our bodies look leaner and less flabby.

Anyway. Your body get's into stuck modes when it comes to weight loss. It goes through stages where it stays in one mode for a long time.

Also, since you are very active and an athlete your body is going to need more weight to sustain you, which is why it becomes harder for it to lose.
In that case I'm not even sure you have to lose weight. Your not at all fat being at 100.
It could be just muscle that shows up on the scale.

Also being athletes we tend to forget the simple facts. If you work out TOO much and overdo it, it can actually counteract the work you are putting into it.
My doctor actually ordered me to try less vigorous activities. You need a balance.

You do too much cardio. So instead, this may sound odd, go for a walk. Sometimes your body needs the lesser activities in order to work properly. 5 days a week. Your body needs rest time in order to heal from what you do. When i heard this i thought it was crazy too, but its true. You think running your *** off will make you lose weight faster, but sometimes it doesn't.

As for calorie counting, i would just stop. You get into the diet frame of mind, and that always screws up the order of weight loss. You eat healthy things in moderation no matter what their calories are, and that's the way balance and weight loss works. If you start cutting out certain foods because of too many calories, you are probably screwing up the nutrition your body needs.

A proper dietician meal plan is always six.

You need to eat six small meals a day.

You have three main meals, with those protiens, carbs and veggie servings that work for you (supposed to have calcium servings as well). And you have three snacks in between.
Eat early in the morning as possible, that jump starts the metabolism.
Get some potassium in your body, with banana's.

never do upper body and lower body weight training on different days, try and hit training all over the body both times. its not good to strength train just one part of the body. What works for me perfectly is strength training from my head down to my toe, every single body part. I strength train and still lose weight, but some need to just do toning and keep the weights at the weight they are.

as i said, its better to start a routine out by cardio if you want to lose weight, and end it with toning and (usually when i do this my routines are 4 hours long) but you can make it work in less time obviously.) i just over work myself.

NEVER over work yourself. Bad thing to do.
Oh and drink lots of green tea.

Many of you have recommended eating more calories because your body goes into "starvation" mode when excercising too much and not eating enough calories.  I'm wondering how long it takes your body to realize this??  Will you gain more weight in the meantime?  Thanks!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Do not eat more calories. Eat as much as required for your age and cut down some depending on your weight.
Your body needs regular carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins and minerals so do not deprive your body or your body will go into negative metabolism and will release ketone bodies with starvation. Plan a diet chart accordingly with a dietician or a nutrition expert.

Increase your output by exercising and then you will lose.

You only gain weight when you take more calories than what your body needs and if you are not balancing your body metabolism or in simple terms input and output you gain weight.

Take care!
Thanks for the info and advice.  I am 5'4 and currently weigh 139lbs.  I started working out more about 2 years ago after I had my youngest son.  I weighed 160 after I had him.  My goal weight is 125-130lbs and I am 31 years old.  I work out 6 days/week for 60 minutes vigorously.  I am currently doing the "Insanity" Workout series from BeachBody.  Throughout the rest of the day I am quite active; walking, biking, etc. with my two boys.  I eat under 1200 calories/day.  I have been "stuck" at this weight for about 9 months now and I want to lose this last 10 lbs.  I've been told I need to eat more in order to lose weight.  It just doesn't seem right.  Does your advice/suggestions change now that you know more info about me??  Do you think I've gone into "negative" metabolism?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

For your physical activities of 60 minutes a day you lose around 500 kcals, check that out by calculating the calories lost by the cardio activity.

Your body will need at least 1800kcal for your age; it is not good to deprive your body of all the vital proteins, vitamins, minerals for long.

Eat healthy and cleverly and change your workouts, involve in sports and playing around with your children and try different types of cardio activities, aerobics, dance, swimming etc and you will lose.

But at 139 pounds and 5ft 4inches I do not want you to lose any further, you are in normal BMI range i.e 23.9.

I can suggest you to be healthy and in normal BMI but would not press for going down further, may be maximum 5 pounds more you can lose!

Take care!
lol.. that first post was in 2006. Its funny people are still responding to it.. anyway.. reading all of the posts made... if you are exercising like a mad woman 4-5 days a week... 1200 calories is NOT ENOUGH... you are burning about 400-500 in just your exercise a day...WAY TO LITTLE.. your body will go into starvation mode and gain weight. It will not burn any fat at all. Increase your calories and eat 6 small meals a day.. so if you are going to eat 1800 cal a day.. then do this.... 200 cal in morning, 200 snack, 400 lunch, 200 snack , 400 dinner, .. now you have another 400 left you have to use.... so you can put them in the day or eat something before bed.. but make sure its protein....
im 27 yrs old..my height is 5'5..my weight is 72 kg..i bought a threadmill which i do workout only 90 min a day..7 days a week..at a start i lost 4 kgs..now its been 3 months not losing a kg..i have a severe knee problem..thats why cant workout heavy and for long..i eat very less..3 times a meal..quantity is less..no sugar or junk food..please help what to do?
If anyone is STILL reading, I was having the same issues as all the blogs up above, for years.  I would work out like crazy, eat all the healthy recommended foods, even went as far as to calorie count every morsel that went into my body so that "calories out > calories in."  I was miserable, and would lose weight when I went to the extreme, but then would gain it right back again if I went off of my extreme diet for more than a couple of days.  It was not fun, and my weight and what I ate was constantly on my mind.  

I am now 30 years old, have a daughter who is 8 months old, and am in the best health & shape of my life.  The best part is, it's almost effortless.  What I did was change my entire outlook on what foods are bad/ good.  The "recommended dietary guidelines" given to everyone is bull...  and if you don't believe me, read the above blogs.  All of those girls above have been dieting and exercising like crazy, but are also not losing any weight (hmmm...).  

What I changed was:  now I eat REAL food.  I try to not eat any processed foods.  I drink whole milk, eat steak with the fat still on it, eat loads and loads of butter, eggs, cream.  I stay away from processed sugars, don't drink ANY soda, and eat no processed carbs (this means not eating the "recommended" whole grains).  Any carb that I do eat now comes from things like carrots, or sweet potatoes (on very rare occasions).  My entire diet pretty much consists of adequate protein (red meat protein is actually the best), and as much saturated fats (oh, no!) that I can get.  Of course, I still eat vegetables every day for the vitamins, and I have to snack on a piece of fruit once a day for my sweet tooth.  That's it.  I have an 8 mo daughter, with a job which has me working my butt-off, so my gym time has been cut to twice a week, if I'm lucky.  Now, I can see my abs. It's not the cardio or gym that produces a lean, trim body, it's what you eat.  Yes, weight training is very good for your body, and would help me tone up even more if I had the time, but I don't.  Cardio, on the other hand, is not necessary for weight loss (another oh, no!), and I could go on for another page about that, but I've already probably angered all of you out there already.

If you don't believe me, that's your loss.  If you are at all slightly intrigued, just try what I'm saying for a month and see how you look & feel.  I didn't trust it either when I began, it took me awhile to trust to go against what I had always been taught, but now I will never go back.

I'm out.    

I'm 5'5" was 109 lbs small bone 49 yrs old.  Just lately 8 lbs found me.  Never has that happen to me.  Healthy eater lots of vegs, fruit, lean meat so on and so forth.  Also excercise everyday.  I know weighing 117 isn't much but I don't want this to continue.  I've had my hormones tested believe it or not low on testosterone (I'm a female) and my thyroid is under active. I'm on Nature-throid.  So I'm hoping in time this will corect the problem.  Is there anyone else that can give me some good advice?  Would appreicate it.  Thanks Mary
I am currently 5 10 and weigh 158 pounds, and am 20 years old. For the past two years, ever since starting college I became anorexic and went down to 112. I absolutely refused to eat, not because I didn't like my appearance, but because of the stress of life and starting college. I went back home during summer break and started my sophomore year. (i gained weight to 130 during the break). Then around March of this year close to 20 pounds in two months. I am a very muscular person and have a larger frame for a female, but I really don't like walking around knowing I weigh more than the average male.
I want to get down to 140, where i feel comfortable in my body, but everything I am doing doesn't seem to work.
I eat very healthy, I exercise 6 days a week (im training for a triathlon, so I am swimming a mile a day, and then usually running or biking 45 minutes a day). I am really muscular in my legs and arms, but flabby down the middle, which doesn't make since to me either.
I want to make sure that I haven't messed up my metabolism because of what I did to my body for a year and a half...
I agree with "EatReal".  I really believe that we need to eat fat-but only good fat. For example, avacado, butter, coconut oil, raw cashews...our bodies need fat.  I started going to this chiropractor and he is all about helping everyone become healthier in the way of what we eat.  There is a book i bought called "Maximized Living".  There are two eating plans.  One is the core plan, the other is the advanced plan.  I was on the advanced plan.  The point of the advanced plan, is to eliminate all sugars and anything that turns to sugar in your body, so that the body is restored to good health. It is sometimes used short term management of weight, detoxification, disease..."the advanced plan is designed to reduce inflammation, restore cell membrane function in order to aid detoxification, regulate hormones, and promote the use of fat as the body's primary source of energy".  I'm sure that anyone can find this book on the net, but this chiropractor is in my area and I heard about him through my boss.  It is true that it helps you lose weight-but it is very challenging to follow it for long.  I was doing the healing plan because I have early menopause and was taking the pill for so long so that I would have the proper amount of estrogen in my body so that i would not get osteoporosis.  But taking the pill for so long is not healthy.  I don't know how my hormomes are doing right now, but i have not been following the advanced plan at all, but I need to.  This is a possibility for anyone to try, but I am no expert.  I am just talking from my own personnal experience.  Like I said, this plan is very challenging, but it can be done.  It takes a lot of self control and resisting temptations.  Basically, do not eat any sugar, eat no fruit except 1 cup of berries a day(berries do not raise the glycemic levels and are not high in sugar), eat no carbohydrates except those that are vegetable carbohydrates, and it is even recommended to cut out carrots and corn because of their sugar content, also you can eat proteins(recommended to eat organic meat-grass fed beef, free range antibiotic hormone free eggs), as well it is recommended that you eat fat-increase your fat-GOOD FAT-olive oil, coconut oil, butter, olives, avacados,coconut milk, full fat plain yogurt, almond butter... this is the basic idea of this advanced plan.  I have lots of hand outs of information for this way of eating, but anyone can certainly or should be able to order this book on line.  It's a very good book.  In fact talking to all of you about this, has reminded me that I need to go back on the healing plan for a bit, as it is very hard to carry on with it for a long extended period of time.  I love fruit, and I like to have a little bit of sugar.  But for my hormonal issue, I need to follow this advanced plan.  Anyhow, I know this is a long blurb, but you may find it interesting and may want to check this out.  Previously before I found out about this whole idea, I was following the "Fit for Life" way.  I read the "Fit for Life" book and followed it to exactly what it recommended and i lost weight, I had no belly fat, i was amazed at how skinny I was.  It is recommended to eat only fruit in the morning period until noon.  Then it is recommended to not combine protein and carbs because they both take 2 different kinds of enzymes to digest them and when they are combined together, they cancel each other out.  It's all about making it easier on the digestive system, so that there is no bloating, toxins, and other such stuff from incorrectly combining foods. For example, don't eat fruit after you eat meat.  The meat takes longer to digest than the fruit.  If you eat fruit after you eat meat, the fruit will sit in your stomach and ferment and rot because the meat is still being digested.  Anyways, these things all help in losing weight.  Seriously.  
If you are trying to lose weight and have been exercising and eating properly, but have not seen results, then it is possible that you are simply consuming more calories than you think you are.

I would suggest you count calories for a month or so.  It is a pain but can be very helpful for you to get a better understanding of what your body is doing.  
Well, if you are only doing cardio... there's your problem. When women lift weights your body will burn calories for a longer period, than after running. You need to combine cardio with weight lifting.

Also, you need to be honest about what you are putting in your body. If your diet contains lots of sodium you are retaining water....
Just getting the word out there. Find a zumba class that works with your schedule and shake your *** until you can't shake it no mo. This is a very high cardio w/o that work hard enough in 1 hour session and you WILL burn up to 900 calories!!!!. That's huge!. This is incredibly fun too and you'll meet amazing people who you'll see transform with you :). Seriously people.... I've been doing Zumba for 2 years and I am in the best shape of my life. 5'8'' 135, lean fit and healthy. For those of you who are completely lost by this term , it's a dance type workout. Google it. You will have to eat right everyday too while you Zumba, and Zumba at least 3 times a week to really see a difference quicker. Take it easy on your body the 1st few times and stretch a bit before and after each class. Here's a couple tips that you should just try for a change, eat an apple whether you like or not when you have the munchies because it will fill you up longer. Try almonds, dried fruit as snacks and start bringing your own lunch to work. Eating out is bad for you and expensive. Everybody says so and it truly is essential to weight loss and that is to Drink lots of water everyday all the time to flush out that crap on your body. Add a slice of lemon or cucumber to your water to shake it up, yummy. I'm a woman, I know what it's like to have cravings, it's soooo hard to just not treat yourself. If you break down that chocolaty treat though, it has enough fat to choke a person. Do you have a friend that will try anything at least once? what i mean is, is that it helps to know someone who you can share your w/o times with, a motivator if you will. good luck, don't ever give up, and be the best you can be...    
I realize this conversation and inquiry started years ago.. but I recently did some research.. and believe me when I tell you, I've researched over a period of 5 years.. but only recently realized and learned that even if you are eating all the right things in your efforts to lose weight as well as exercising.. or in my case, added that to my mission to shed unwanted lbs.. you are not going to see any results.  Why? because more likely you are what is known as hypothyroid.. so absolutely nothing you do in the way of dieting or exercising is going to amount to one bit of difference.. why? because your body has literally forgotten how to burn calories.  You are otherwise fighting a losing battle.  I emailed my dietary intake to a specialist .. thinking she could enlighten me with what I need to eat and/or cut.. and she replied that there was absolutely nothing she could tell me for diet that I needed to change or add.. so why wasnt I losing weight?  I was even swimming 4 times a week for an hour at a stretch, plus always active with housework.. couldnt lose a fricken ounce!  turns out.. I was also having hot flashes and knew I was in menopause but did not even think this was the cause.. well it is.. because 80 to 90 percent of the women in menopause go into hypothyroidism.. and there's your trouble.  I finally was advised to take Iodine2Plus... in 3 months I was successful in losing 16 lbs.  no kidding.  and believe you me.. I literally tried every single diet product on the market.. I even went so far as to try stuff that you needed prescriptions on.. underground.. yep, I did.. I tried things that was beyond what most people try. nothing worked.. and the only thing that did was the stuff that kicks your thyroid in the butt and that was the answer.  I am still wanting to lose 10 more lbs and I seem to have plateaued.  I do not know how to lose it.. but I am glad I'm no longer 160 lbs.. I am now 140 to 141.. so albeit 5 foot 7.. I'm happy with this result.
Thank you very much this is very informative all appreciate the suggestions and I will be considered trying thanks very much
I am 5 ft 4 inches 127 lbs, a woman, and relatively young. I have always been an athlete. I exercise abut an hour each day, usually running, and eat so healthy. My diet consists of protein, fruits, and veggies! I am at a loss I need to lose weight but absolutely cannot. I have tried everything even weight watchers. I need help. Am I even capable of losing weight at this size? Please help me! IS this overweight, I feel awful when I look in the mirror.
You're so not overweight! At your height you could go up to 144lbs and still be within the "normal" range. 127 is perfect for your height. So many women try for years to get somewhere close to that! There comes a point when your body will not be able to lose any more weight without sacrificing muscle and essential structural fat (the stuff that cushions your internal organs etc). You don't want that, as it's unhealthy and will not lead to a happy future. You say you exercise every day. In order to do that, you need a certain amount of muscle, and at 127lbs most of your weight will be from that muscle, NOT fat.
Thank you! I appreciate that, it makes me feel better. That is what I have tried to put through my head I just have problems doing it. So do you think it is impossible to lose weight a this weight? Honestly, the conclusion I have come to is that it definitely is because I just cannot lose weight no matter what I do. Currently, I harly eat anything : small lunches like a piece of chicken and a piece of bread or a few crackers and then dinner is salad or chicken again and then fruit. I hardly eat cause I want to lose so badly.
I have been trying for the past year or so... and it has been different things like weight watchers and then like very low-cal diets, or even south beach. NOTHING WORKS.. ever. So this is why I feel like its impossible, and I am not overweight I just want to be really really skinny. What do you think?
Hey I am a 20 year old elementary school teacher.  I go to the gym and I eat right (atleast I try))...can you give me some advice as to what my daily calorie intake
Should be? And how much calories I should burn to get rid of this stubburn extra 10lbs I have on???0
I think my body just doesn't work normally...

Throughout highschool I ate lots and lots of pasta and veggies, and some meats and fishes. I also did kungfu, basketball, volleyball and track. So for the most part, I exercised 6 days a week for about 3-4 hours a day. I didn't loose any weight. At 5'10.5" I maintained a weight of 180 lbs, and I didn't look fit, esp my saddlebag thighs and love handles. But I wasn't as concerned then either.

In my first year of college I lost 10lbs. The only sports I did was walking to the bus stop and walking to class, and walking to the store (across the street once every two weeks.) This time I still ate tons of pasta for dinner esp. the night before a test where I pulled all nighters, a turkey sandwich or two eggs for breakfast with two slices of cheese on top, and a bag of candy (usually twizlers or skittles). Sometimes my roommate would make chili and we'd have that, or we'd get two papa john's pizzas or if we felt we needed to be cheap, get taco bell. And every week we had a movie night where we made cakes and cookies. So with a supposedly poor diet, I lost weight o.0

The year after I lived farther from campus and needed rides to school and refused to get up early to cook. So I would get a carmel and mocha frappuccino, largest size, at the starbucks on campus every day and get a bag of gummies, twizlers, starburst, or skittles at one of the shops on campus. I rarely ate lunch, but if I did, it was usually a subway or quiznos sandwich. For dinner, it was usually rice or pasta and later two microwaveable 80c dinners from walmart, or w/e my roommate cooked. Whatever it was, I ate at least 4 servings of it. I also started drinking 1-2.5 liters of mountain dew everyday and had an average of .75 quarts of ice cream every night. realized by the summer following the school year i was down to 158lbs when I should probably be obese.

That summer I became obsessed with my weight wanting to weight 150lbs. I exercised everyday, took vitamin supplements, and ate up to 800cals per day. I didn't loose any weight. I got frustrated, and more so when I gained .5lbs and another .5lbs. I was at a friend's house and had to keep up appearances at dinner, so I end up having all my calories at meal time. We ate stuff like hard and soft shell tacos, with a bowl of fruit, with a can of dr. pepper or mountain dew. And at movie time, we'd eat a plate of a cheese and bean dip I introduced with chips. At the end of that week I lost 3lbs. I continued my dieting habit and didn't loose weight all summer.

I finally saw a doctor and dietician. They told me I was fine, had the right amount of weight, and all that. With a little persistence I was told to eat this and this and that percent of food 4-6 times a day, and to exercise at least 3x per week. I was already doing all that and more but decided to go at it for another month. It didn't work. I was still the same weight.

I got really depressed and started being more sedentary, eating plain baggets from Jimmy Johns for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, about two eggs for breakfast with extra cheese, a cup or two of coffee, about a quart of ice cream every day, cakes, cookies, candies, surprisingly no pasta, but I ate so much bread anyways, microwave dinners, wendy's, taco bell... lots of fast food. Two months later I weighed myself in publix and weight 150. So I was very happy, and to make sure, I weighted myself on the scales in the dietician and doctor offices.

I kept up my habits, but only a month later I was hospitalized twice and ended up on antidepressants and antipsychotics. A month later I realized I couldn't fit into the skinny jeans I'd gotten a month prior. So I cut my diet, and I still gained weight. A month and a half after being on the meds, I checked them out, and found out they often cause weight gain. My psychiatrist told me to just exercise and watch what I eat. Every two weeks I kept telling her I was gaining weight. After gaining 25lbs I just stopped the meds. She finally prescribed me something else and I stopped gaining weight, but I also wasn't loosing it.

Finally I went to a bible camp for a week, telling myself I'm just going to relax, which I did. I slept during mid day classes, just because I was so tired for some reason. once I hiked up the mountain. I did the zipline a couple of times. But most of the time I was sitting. And they fed us well. For breakfast I had a plate towering (literally) with buttery eggs everyday, with toast and a bowl of cereal, with a cup or two of juice. Lunch varied, but I had 3-4 servings or more of it with a salad and juice. And for dinner, I had about 3-4 servings of it, with a salad, and w/e the desert was. I also stopped drinking coffee because it was making me sleepy. But when I returned from the camp and saw my psychiatrist, I'd lost 8lbs. I figured 2 or 3 might have been water weight, but I knew I was hydrated...

But then I went back to eating about 1200-1400 calories a day, or less and exercising. Over the course of two months I gained the weight back and was at 175... so I gave up. The next six months I still kept my diet down to 1200-1400 but stopped exercising. I didn't loose or gain weight.

I graduated and being broke, ate what ever was available. No weight gain or loss. I moved back home, and two months after being literally sedentary I started gaining weight again. Now I've been exercising for a couple of weeks and eat probably no more than 1500 calories worth of food a day. I say this because I have a grapefruit for breakfast every day, and if there are no potatoes, I'll have a grapefruit for lunch, or a peanut butter sandwich. And for dinner fish, veggies, and pasta or rice. pasta I usually have about a cup cooked, and for rice a cup or less. But now I'm at a stalemate again, not gaining or loosing.

Ugh, that's my story
I am 35 years old, 5'7" and weigh 160.  I haven't weighed this much since I had my last son 9 years ago.  I was happy when I weighed 140.  I started gaining weight about 2 1/2 years ago when I went back to school and wasn't as active as I used to be.  All I was doing was working (full time) going to school 2 nights a week, I also take online classes so I'm in front of the computer a lot, and taking care of my boys, doing regular mom stuff.  When my clothes started to get tight and some not even fitting I decided I needed to become more active.  I've never really had to diet before so I figuered my weight gain was due to inactivity since I started school.  So I started going to the gym.  For the past 2 months I've been going doing some weight training and cardio,  I workout 4 to 5 days a week for an hour to an hour and a half.  I cant do much more cause I have kids.  I started watching what I eat and counting my calories keeping them between 1200 to 1400 daily,  I also started taking vitamins.  I have not lost any weight!! I'm super discouraged.  

Cany anyone help me???
Hi everyone,

I thought I would google, "exercising more and not losing weight" and this thread of communication came up so I thought I would write in and see if anyone has information that can help.

I started Weight Watchers on Jan. 3rd of this year after being diagnosed a type 2 diabetic. I was 232 lbs at only 5'3"!!! My A1C was at a 7 and my blood sugars were well over 140. I am happy to report that I am down just under 50 lbs in 6 months and am feeling pretty darn good about my A1C getting down to 5.6!!:) My blood sugars are also down ranging at about 90-120. So, I'm handling my diet well. I just had my physical and no thyroid or hormonal issues and everything seems good (or better than before). SooOOooo, I thought I would try adding exercise into my lifestyle.

My fiance is an avid cyclist so I thought I would get a bike and start peddling. I go out 4-6 times a week and ride 20-25 miles at about 14-16 mph. I LOVE it. It feels so good to get outside and do things I couldn't do before. BUT..........and this is a big BUT.........I've maintained my weight for the last 8 weeks with only fluxuating +/- 0.2 lbs??!! I admit, I mostly just bike ride but about 1-2 times per week I will jog/walk on the treadmill  for about 30 min at 3.8/5.5 mph intervals. I know that maybe this doesn't "seem" like much but at my weight.....I sweat, I gasp, I use an inhaler and always get my heart rate up. I seriously am at a loss with what to do. On one hand, I don't want to get too upset because I've managed to lose just shy of 50 lbs and I don't know of a lot of women my age (40yrs old) and weight who can bike ride at my speed and distance so I'm pretty excited about where that can all lead. My fiance says that if I can learn how to change a tire and degrease/relube my chain and get up to 17mph- he'll buy me a good road bike next year to ride with him:) My clothes are fitting better so I think that I've lost inches but at only 5'3" tall and 182 lbs........I would think that I would be losing weight too. Like I said, I do Weight Watchers so we count "points" and not calories but I get all my pts in for the day plus use some extra that I earn with exercising. I've switched out to all nonfat or low fat dairy, lean meats, whole grains and watch my carbs like a hawk since being a diabetic. I don't know all the exercise "lingo" so I'm not sure what is anaerobic/aerobic exercise etc but would love any information on what I should do.

Thanks so much for reading and your comments:)
I am not a professional or anything, but I do understand your problem. Track & field +cross country and I was gaining weight instead of losing it.

All I can say is what helped me. Make sure you are getting good restful sleep because your body will need it, especially if you are doing 90min of exercise six days a week. Make sure you stay on that high protien idea but just you know switch it up and enjoy it. (Go for spinich I love it :) ) Mix up your workouts, like try doing soccor or something to switch up your cardio. It can be a ton of fun to do that.

Don't get discouraged! Oh, and stay hydrated. So many people forget how important it is to stay hydrated and if you are sweating it out 90 min a day and are on the go you probably need to keep a water bottle with you all the time if you are not already. Also, I don't know if 1200 calories is enough? I'm not a professional but your body could be storing that food as fat possibly because it thinks you are starving it while working out? I dont' know for sure (and please no one hurt me for saying it I'm just saying it is possible).

Good luck :)
All of this is very interesting... I am 19 and just finished my first year of college.  I am a college athlete and constantly workout.  Unfortunately despite this I gained the usual 15 pounds at college.  I am 5'8'' and weigh 140 lbs.  I have been working very hard this summer to lose the weight and am having no luck.  I would like to be 125 lbs or less.  I play tennis at least 3 hours a day, do P90x weight training at least twice a week and Insanity workouts 3 times a week plus I run stadiums or go running in my neighborhood a few times a week.  I eat pretty healthy, I don't eat sweets and eat often to try and keep my metabolism up.  I have lost maybe 2 pounds since I've been home in May and I'm getting quite frustrated with myself.  If anyone out their has any more suggestions than what has already been said, I would very much appreciate it!  Thanks!
At 5'8 125lbs would be UNDERWEIGHT. 140 is a healthy weight for you, and considering how active you are, a good percentage of that weight will be pure muscle. As an athlete, you NEED that muscle to power you through what you do. Have you taken body-fat percentage readings? I think that would be a better way for you to judge if you're "overweight" or not (you're not, but if you need reassurance the BF% will give that to you) as a bathroom scales takes no notice of your composition-- it tells you how heavy you are, but not how much of that is healthy muscle. An example of this would be a rugby player; on a height-weight chart he could be classed as obese, but obviously he's not. He's healthy and active and just muscle-heavy.
It doesn't sound like your body is "broken", lol, it just sounds like you go into starvation-mode easily. On the times where you ate junk and did little exercise, your body was relaxed and was confident that the next meal or snack was never far away, so it didn't bother holding onto any extra fat in case it needed it.
On the times where you reduced your caloric intake to really low levels,(plus adding in exercise) your body panicked, wondering when it would next get the fuel it needed, so it slowed everything right down (metabolism) to conserve energy, and also started stockpiling any calories it DID get as bodyfat. I know it doesn't make sense mathematically (calories in minus calories out) but it's been proved to be true so many times.
Also, looking through the lists of food you gave above, it seems like your protein and fat intake is much much higher while you aren't dieting. Protein and fat (natural fat like cheese) are essential to healthy body functioning, so that could be another reason that you found you lost weight whilst supposedly "eating bad".

I'm doing a 1400 calorie a day diet and I go to the gym 5 days a week burning at least 300 calories in cardio each time (minimum 30 minutes cardio, kickboxing class 2 days a week for 45 mins). I also do some strength training 2-3 times a week and abdominal work (planks, crunches, etc) the same mount. I weighed around 151 before this but I have recently packed on two lbs and i cannot figure it out because Ive been sticking to the calorie plan or even eating under it (yesterday I ate about 1100 calories). So now I am 21, 5'6", and 152 lbs. I feel like I have gotten much more toned in the last month or so from the gym but I feel fatter (and obviously, have not only not been able to lose weight but have gained it). I would like to get to around 140 lbs. I also bike everywhere at my university (to work, class, etc).

I definitely was eating more before I started tracking my calories (I was already working out then too) and maintaining was not a problem,  it was even easier to lose than it is now. This past weekend I went to the beach with my family and ate pretty healthily but definitely more than I had been and I couldnt track it (well, at least) because we had no internet and I lost 1 or 2 lbs with no working out!

I checked out some other calorie calculator sites that said I should be eating more like 1700-1800 calories a day with my goals and activity level, but Im scared to eat mroe and end up gaining more!

Am I not eating enough at 1400?

Thanks!
i run a minimum of 90 minutes a day, 7 days a week.  i have been doing this for years--i would have a perfect running streak from 1988 until today if i hadn't torn my acl in 2001 and had to take two or three days off.  in addition, i lift weights regularly and do situps and push ups 5 days/ week, i bike at least once a week, walk daily, and have a job where i'm not sedentary.  i've tried eating 900 calories a day, 1200 calories a day, 1800 calories a day, etc. for periods of time in order to lose weight.  instead of losing, i GAIN!  it's soooo incredibly frustrating.

i had an eating disorder in college (bulimia), but that was many years ago.  back then i weighed around 110 (i'm 5'4"), and now i'm almost at 140.  i'm a vegetarian, and i try to watch what i eat.  i saw a nutritionist for a while, and i'm hypothyroid.  my thyroid condition is under control with meds, but i still cannot controll my weight.  any ideas?????
Hi thanks for helping me, I guess you're right that 125 would be a little underweight.  I guess some of it is muscle but I still feel like I should lose a bit.  I had never lifted weights before my first year of college.  But I would think by eating healthy and working out a lot this summer I would lose some weight, I don't understand why I haven't lost any.  I haven't done my BMI, I want to do one of those bod pod things but it costs.  I'm guessing it would probably be like 22 or 23 I don't know though.  But thanks for taking the time to encourage me, I appreciate it!
This is bloomin mad! WHY is this so difficult?

Obviously, I'm in a similar boat. 19 years old, 5ft 10, 155lbs, trying to lose 10lbs. I hit the gym 3-4 times a week and I'm eating around 1300 calories a day. I either do 40 mins swimming or 30 mins on the elliptical trainer with 15 mins doing sit ups, mat work, etc. Last summer I tried a personal trainer but all that came from that was some SERIOUS muscle build. Not cool.

5 weeks later, and I'm still 155lbs. WHAT.

Seriously, I'm no scientist. How can eating more and exercising less possibly be a route to weight loss?

I'm completely lost and confused now, I don't know what I supposed to be eating and what I'm supposed to cut out or how much and what type of exercise I need to be doing.

Am I doomed to a life where my fairly toned bod is covered in a layer of fat? Because I am fairly toned underneath it all. Heeeeeelp?
Hi, I'm 32 5 ft tall and weigh 145.  Last year I weighed 128 and started to gain weight.  4 months ago, I increased my workouts to 5-6x a wk 60 min of cardio and 30 min of weight training alternating muscle groups daily as well as zumba and swimming 2x a week.  I eat an average 1400 carlories a day and I'm still progressively gaining weight.  I've had my thyroid tested and it came back normal.  Any suggestions?
You have to work hard if you want to change the shape of your body. That means a balance of medium-high intensity cardio exercise along with challenging strength training workouts.
I'm experiencing the same issue as everyone here. That's how I found this blog. After reading all these posts I feel so sad for all us women. We are so hopelessly enslaved by what our damn weight is while beautiful life is passing us all by. Worrying incessantly about a few effin pounds. What a complete waste of energy.
I can't believe we're all in the same boat.  I'm beginning to think this has to do with all of us going into starvation mode and our bodies are holding on to everything we eat.  I also like and agree with the suggestion to eat real food alone-it does work.  Even eating a small cookie isn't good if we want to lose the last 5 pounds.  I think we need to eat more, but only fresh, organic and completely unprocessed foods.  

I'm 5'3 and weigh 120 lbs and I'm 34.  About 4 months ago I was around 115-116 lbs and gained over the summer as I was more relaxed and not very careful with my portions.  I've always been a crazy exerciser for almost 20 years, so even though I continue to exercise I can seem to lose a pound.  This is so frustrating.  :( I had the same issue last year when I trained with Mixed Martial artists and dropped weight once I stopped training with them and my pants got nice and loose again.  The trainer at the time kept telling me I wasn't eating enough considering how much I train and how hard I work and sweat.  I was so fearful of eating about 2000 cal/day.  I tried it for a week and seemed to lose some weight, but then I stopped working out with the fighters as I got so busy at work.  I didn't work out as much, didn't eat as much and I shrunk.  I think my body fat stayed the same or went up, but all my clothes were baggy. I liked being skinny though :(

Now I'm back in the same boat.  I'm working out (as usual) and mainly do strength training right now as recommended by a trainer. I'm eating about 1300-1500 cal/day and losing nothing.  I've been at it over a month now :( I want to be 115 lbs again.  I'm very active and workout about 4 days a week.  I must admit that I'm always starving and I find eating less than 1500 cal/day very, very difficult.  I was shocked when I went to my Naturopath and saw that my body fat % went up by one percent, even though I was exercising like a maniac (loads of strength training) and starving all the time. Sigh.

At the end of the day all I really want is to lose a few percent in body fat and look trimmer/cut than I already am-and have my clothes be a bit looser on me.  In the past when I lost weight I know it was muscle that I lost because I still had that layer of fat around my body. But I don't want that.  I'm finding it real hard to get cut.  By the way, I can't eat a very high protein diet as it turned out I had highly abnormal levels of uric acid in my body which means I'm not digesting proteins well.  So I cut down on high protein diet and just eat the necessary protein in order to be healthy.  Lots of fruit and veggies.  My blood work showed that I'm way healthier now and my liver is near toxin free and my uric acid levels are almost normal, but alas, my body fat went slightly up and I'm stuck at 120 and can't get the "cut" look I want. :(
I've been watchng this forum for a while now and would like to point a few things out.

If you are eating 1,200 kcals a day and exercising for over an hour a day, you are not eating enough and are just going to put your body into starvation mode if you do this for the long term.

Cut the crap out. I don't just mean eat veggies I mean any processed crap. Buy organic food, whole organic milk from grass fed cows, same for butter and cheese, good quality organic veggies. Avoid any chemical pre made crap that you find in ready meals, drink plenty of water, avoid soda, colourings, and other processed crap. I don't fry with olive oil, I fry with a small amount of organic butter. As a veggie, I don't eat quorn that much anymore as its basically junk food so I treat it as such.

I have some complex wholewheat organic pasta or other complex carbs to help with my energy levels. I take high quality vitamin tablets and drink protein shakes made with organic milk and fresh water. I avoid adding sugar and salt to my food.

I was calorie counting and working out heavily for a marathon. I lost lots of weight but then my weight refused to drop further (I was still over my recommended BMI with plenty of fat!!). i had less energy, felt burnt out. I changed my diet, re educated myself food wise. I can  see a massive difference in my energy levels, I'm losing weight (finally!!)
what's wrong with you!! honey you are underweight!!! you shouldn't weigh less than 110 pounds to begin with. It's not unhealthy to be under that nor will you be more beautiful so why kill yourself that way??
its   l.o.s.e.  not  loose  because  loose is when you  have a loose tooth
its hard to believe you cant even spell  the word lose  because you  and some other dummies  spell  it loose  which  is something we all learn it third grade  ...>>>  lose  loser.     loose  is a whole  different  meaning  lol  professor  rightttttttttttttttttttttt
Hi, im a personal trainer so will give you advice I think would help. Agreeing with some of the comments as that you might have to live with the weight at 30...however your weight really doesn't bad. It sounds healthy.
If you'd like to decrease your body fat, the interval training you added is great. I would personally up your caloric intake as for how much exercise you're doing, your body is feeling more starved than anything else and therefore Holds on to the fat instead of burning it...guessing that is your main problem. Your base metabolic rate (how much you burn everyday without doing anything extra) is probably around 1100-1400, plus daily activity plus your workouts, your body needs much more food for energy!!!
As far as workouts, add an extra leg day and don't be afraid of using weights...the legs have a ton of muscle that can potentially burn body fat, so getting muscle in your legs will make your overall metabolic rate greater.
Hope this helps. Email me if you need anymore advice :) kt.***@****.
Hi every one,

I just wanted to share my story,

I am 23 female with a height of 169cm / 5'6 and my starting weight was 78.5kg / 173 pounds in April 2011 when I joined a gym because I enjoyed Zumba and wanted to lose weight.

First 2 months I was not watching what I was eating and excercising 3 times a week and weighted 76.6kg / 168 pounds in June thats when I decided to start watching what I ate and upped my hour classes to 4-5 a week.

Two months of this I weighed 74.0 kg / 163 pounds and was a bit frustrated ( I think the problem was that I was not eating enough at breakfast and lunch with no snacks then a big meal at the end of the day). I started on a calorie counting diet of 1200 with 3 meals and 3 snacks a day.

The next 2 months went well with my weight being 68.0 kg / 149 pounds in October however the next two months did not continue with the weight loss even though I upped my classes to 6 times a week. In November December my weight went between 68 kg / 149 pounds and 67 kg / 147 pounds.

New years resolution was to change up my classes and increase my diet to 1500 cal with 2 days off a week to eat healthy-ish, now I do an hour weights class Monday, carido Tuesday, yoga Wednesday light weights/high rep Thursday cardio Friday and weights Saturday plus I will normall do a warm up walk for about 30mins before MWTF classes.

I am now maintaning 65 kg / 143 pounds with 2 days off the diet a week to go drink beer at the pub or have a large BBQ dinner... generally enjoy life. In an ideal world I would lose to another 3 kg / 6 pounds but I really love my days off the diet.

You all sound as if you work so hard for your goals and are frustrated with the number as I have often been, as scared as I was to increase calories best thing I have done, I feel really healthy and fit, have not been sick in quite some time and still can go out with friends and family and choose the healthy options (but not all the time) and be happy with my weight even if its not the perfect number.

This may not be the most impressive weight lost story like you see on TV or on the internet, but its my real weight lost story and I hope some one stops giving themselves such a hard time I as slowly am learning!
Yes!! Finally someone is talking sense! You have to eat to lose people!
YES!!!
I agree.
Research consistently shows that increased physical activity does not significantly impact on weight in post-menopausal women.

Similarly a 1000-calorie-per-day diet is no guarantee that weight will be lost, despite what dogma dieticians and nutritionists like to spout. I used to spout that stuff also, until I went through menopause and the weight stacked on despite no change in diet or exercise. I am nearly 20 kilos overweight and on a very small frame (small boned 5' 3") it looks particularly bad.

So I cut my diet back to 1000-1200 calories per day, cut out alcohol completely, and in fact the first month put weight on (and this was not muscle, my clothes were tighter). Gave up on that.

Now I've cut down to 500 calories or less, supplemented with nutriceuticals, and drinking more water and have so far lost 0.5 kilos in a week. Not great but at least it's a loss.

I'm at the stage where I don't care what I have to do to lose that weight - and hunger doesn't bother me. I simply refuse to be fat. The old "calories in/calories out" mantra is not only outdated, it is highly offensive to women like me, and completely ignorant of up-to-date research in obesity and overweight.

Clearly weight loss is a lot more complex than that and dieticians and nutritionists need to get off their backsides and do some serious professional reading.
I should add, before someone comes on with an explanation of "starvation mode", that recent validated research shows quite definitively that starvation mode does not cut in until we are at approximately 5% body fat.

Until that point, our bodies will use our fat reserves as part of our daily calorie requirements.

There are only 2 dangers in very low calorie programs. The most important is risk of nutritional deficiency so a very high-quality broad-spectrum nutritional product is essential. The other danger is that the person may not learn or develop healthy eating and exercise patterns.

So it's also essential to have a plan to return to a sustainable lifestyle. For me that will be the addition of a poached egg to the single slice of dry toast with vegemite in the morning, a piece of fruit mid morning, and a small amount of (for example) tuna and salad for lunch, with a very small portion of whatever is dinner.

I don't know at this stage if I'll ever be able to have alcohol again because I suspect that if I get back to the 1000-1200 level again the weight will once again pile on.

So a glass of wine now and then will be something of a treat. I don't have any food addictions so nothing will be missed.

Until someone comes up with an answer to post-menopausal weight (and research strongly indicates that may be as close as 24 months away) if we want to be slim we have to starve. Otherwise be fat and happy and wait for the cure.
So Im 23 years old and i cant seem to get weight off, I have excersise induced asthma which makes it extremely difficult to do a fast paced excersise.  I dont eat fast food, I try to drink as much water as possible and if i do drink soda its diet. I dont eat alot of food, i make sure i eat 3 square meals a day though, I dont snack and if i do its lowfat popcorn or something. Im at my wits end on what to do about my weight. I have a 3 and a 4 year old and its basically the baby weight i havnt been able to get off since i became a mother. does anyone have any suggestions?
Everything you just said is me exactly. I started Zumba for 1 hour nonstop every night for 3 weeks, sweating like I never sweated before, and in 3 weeks, lost no weight! And if I ate 5 small meals a day? I would still gain. I have to starve! Noone knows my body like I do, and starving is the only thing that ever worked for me.
Clean eating is the only way to go. Ground turkey, quinoa, brown rice, wheat germ, vegetables and limited fruits will never steer you wrong. Do not drink any calories. What's wrong with water? It does the job better than the rest, and although calorie-free drinks are what they say, they desensitize you from the taste of natural foods and will hamper your progress in the long run.

These foods must be without any "sugar coating" like butter, salt, or sugar, even substitutes. And no canned or processed food. Trust me, these foods do not need any improvement once you become used to them. Most of us are so desensitized to good food because all of the processed, salty garbage we eat that a simple floret of broccoli is lost on us. It tastes bitter and bland when it should be flavorful and nutty.

I would challenge everyone to eat as much "clean food" as they possibly can, all day long, every day for 2 weeks. I guarantee that you will not gain a single pound no matter how much you can eat before you feel like you're going to burst. Your body, when denied of any "sugar-coating" will tell you when you're full and will refuse food when you've had enough calories. Exercise will help you tone muscle, harden your core, etc. as well as improve heart, brain, and other organ functions and health.

On a related note, weight does not determine if you are healthy or not. Ever. It can be a guide, but if you go up 4 lbs and your pants are tight, it doesn't mean that it is fat. If you are distressed, I suggest a "body dunk" with a company like Fitness Wave. I have used them in the past. They are very thorough and will be FAR more reliable then calipers.

Rely on how you feel walking up stairs, your breathing, your chest (any constricting feeling?), fatigue, hair, nails, and skin pallor, etc. to help determine your health. I am 5'6, 168 pounds, and big boned, and I am healthy and beautiful, and not overweight. Doctors had been convincing me all my life that I was doing something wrong. I exercised, limited, and restrained myself so much that at 145 lbs I was a stick and zombie-like because I was so malnourished. If this sounds like you, try gaining a little muscle. Since you are eating too little and burning more than you take in, your muscles are in need of food constantly, and are even used as a source of fuel when you are hungry. Try eating a little real food, you might feel better! Everyone's body type is different and needs different things. Just listen to your body and it will listen to you. :)
I am 34 years old and typically fluctuate from 128-135 pounds and I am 5'4.  I joined with a trainer to tone up (because even though my weight hasn't changed much, I lost all my muscle and now have fatty areas from when I quit training 2 years ago.) My diet hasn't changed much either. I am very consistent. I eat high protein foods, some carbs- but not much (I try to avoid these), veggies, and fruits. I rarely eat processed foods or fast food. I rarely drink soda.  My typical day consists of tuna, protein bar, protein shake, raw veggies, oatmeal, and fruit. I may eat chicken breast and veggies for dinner. However, I noticed this time around with the trainer, it has been difficult for me. The only difference in me is the I had my gallbladder removed last year. I can notice some tone in my legs and arms, but my middle just keeps growing it seems. I never had that problem before. It is not huge by any means, but I wear shirts to hide it because it is somewhat noticeable if I wear a tighter shirt.  I look like I am 2 months pregnant. I have actually gained some weight after training for 2 months now-  up to 139 lbs. My clothes all fit the same really.  He trained me before and it doesn't seem to be working for me. He can't even figure out. My health is good.....got all my labs checked....not sure what's up. Oh, and I am not pregnant. lol.
if you gain weight countinously after exercise then you can loose your diet.don't eat oily food.
Hi Bob, I enjoy reading your advice. I have have been training for two weeks now. 20 min running around 4 km. then some front and back legs, arm and shoulder weights, on top of that I swim average of 6 laps. All this daily. I start with 67.8 kg at the first week I was 65.8, now the second week am 66.9 meaning that I am putting on weight. My diet is 0 sweets (i dont like them) boiled eggs,, smoke salmon, salds with lemon and olive oil, beef and chicken, grapefruit before meals. So, Why is this hapening, what am i doing wrong? I would really appreciate your advice. Brw, i am 36 years old morher. Thanks
Really, how dare you tell any woman entering menapause that they have to learn to live with weight gain!!! Shame on you!
Hello everyone,

I desperately need help!  I am 37 years old 5"2' and weigh 205lbs.  I have been gaining weight for the past 6 years and nothing I do seems to work.  I have had my thyroid tested and everything is normal.  I am currently on a program called medical weight loss (medical weight loss clinic).  I eat about 1400 calories per day (all fresh fruits and veggies, 61/2oz of lean protein at lunch and dinner, 3 small starches a day...rice cake, 1/2 aKmak cracker, no salt and drink water).  I follow the plan religiously and have only lost 6lbs in three weeks.  The diet starts with a 3 day cleanse and most people loose 5-10lbs in the first three days...I gained 2lbs.  I know that 6lbs isn't awful, but on this diet I am supposed to loose 3lbs per week (not counting the cleansing).  I feel like a failure...I am so unhappy with myself and I'm starting to loose hope that I will ever be healthy again.

I have always struggled with my weight (I had to work twice as hard as a normal person just to maintain a reasonable weight), but since I had my daughter in 2007 and then a serious car crash three moths later, I just can't stop gaining weight.  I have even tried Adipex (doctor prescribed), and couldn't loose more than 10lbs.  I am obese and I don't even overeat...I don't know what to do.

Thanks for listening!

lil-irish74
I am a nurse and I too am plagued by excessive weight gain and ill health since my hysterectomy and salpingo-oophorectomy (uterus/both ovaries) .Ive ran across a three books I am purchasing. After all my medical research I think Ive figured out "our issue".  Without the adequate hormones a list of numerous side affects start rearing their nasty head!!  Hormones regulate our entire body just as thyroid, adrenals, cortisol and more. Without a proper balance of Progesterone,testosterone(yes girls we have a minute amount) and estrogen comes all sorts of health risks and side affects  So we need to replace the ones lost by surgical menopause (likely a compounded cream) along with vitamins that replacement hormones deplete from our bodies at an alarming rate. My journey is about to begin....jump on and see what lies ahead.I hope this helps everyone who reads,along with myself. Im sick of not being the old me!!!  Good luck!!  **** (Books:Christine Northrup M D -Menopause and Beyond and The Wisdom Of Menopause. Also,Gale Maleskey & Mary Knittel The Hormone Connection and Pamela Wartian Smith M D- What You Must Know About Womens Hormones)
review seeinclear1010101
Same thing is happening with me. I am 32 & have been doing anaerobic exercise for over a month & for 6 days a week. But my weight is stuck on to 65 kg. How to lose weight... it is so disappointing
Bob, I would really be interested in learning more about weight loss and diet. Do you have a website??
There are too many folks with simple answers here. I too have gained weight while doing supposedly all the right things. My head is swimming. I weight train two times a week. High intensity interval train twice a week. Moderate walk once a week. I eat on small plates, high protein, moderate fat and have included some fruits, veggies and whole grains (not wheat) into my diet. I eat whole foods (non processed) and I count calories. My trainer, nutritionist and doctor say I haven't been eating enough. I've gone from 197 to 221 in 9 months. I'm 5'11". I had been on a high protein, low fat, low carb diet and lost approx 25 pounds before the weight gain. I had been clocking 700-1000 a day. I did a full body comp and found out my BMR was 1700 calories. My doctor said I should be eating at least 2600 to maintain my weight and 2100 to lose weight. I can't get my head around this. I can't seem to eat that much a day and increased carbs are the only way to go. Unfortunately, carbs don't really agree with me and fruits and veggies only get me so far with the total caloric intake. I have no hormonal issues and my blood and urine panels are excellent. My doctor says I'm, one of the healthiest people in her practice, but I can't afford to buy more clothes to accommodate this new weigh and I feel uncomfortable in my own skin. My idea weight should be in the 190s. I'm really frustrated.
Hi there, isee that it been a while.  I am simular problems eating healty excercising two to three times a week but not losing only gaining weight.  Have you found any thing that is working for you. I have been on estrogen treatment for a while so not sure if that might have a effect.
I have been in the weight loss industry for 8 years. I have a graduate degree in Aging. Thyroid definitely influences the metabolism. However, after 8 years of evaluating metabolisms through indirect calorimetry I have not seen a metabolism that will hinder weight loss. If your slip into bed at night and your sheets get warm, you can burn fat, in fact you burn more fat sleeping than with exercise, although exercise is important. If anyone is not losing weight with exercise...exercise is not your problem. The food intake is. Hormones will impact where we deposit fat but it doesn't impact whether we deposit fat. I have helped many menopausal and non menopausal women lose fat and have never seen anyone not see change. I would really look at your food, chasing hormones will only leave you more frustrated, confused and potentially more heavy.
My lovely friends, it seems to be the same song and dance with most of you. "I do cardio hours on end." I eat 1000-1200 calories a day and I still can't lose weight." Your major problems are too much cardio, too little strength training, and way too little calories! Steady state cardio is a compete waste of time. Why would you want to pound away for 45 to 60 minutes of dull steady state cardio? Do HITT training for 20 minutes 3-4 times a week. Strength train and I don't mean any of this light weight 15-20 repition strength training stuff either. If you can't push out 8 reps, the weight is too heavy. If you can easily do 12 reps, it's too light. Women do not easily bulk up because we lack the amounts of testosterone needed to gain pounds of muscle. If you are lifting and perceive that you're getting bulky, then look at your body fat percentage and not the amount of weight you're lifting. It's most likely that excess body fat is covering the growing muscle and it appears larger therefore less cut and defined. Like another poster said, focus a lot of energy on legs. These are massive muscles that require a large amount of oxygen and blood flow. Developed leg muscles will increase your metabolism when worked hard and to exhaustion. Also when you strength train split body sections into their own days. For example, chest/shoulder/biceps on Monday, back/triceps Wednesday, and devote a whole routine to legs on Fridays. When weight training work in a circuit frame of mind. Preform a chest exercise then go straight into a shoulder exercise with no rest between sections. This keeps your heart rate up while building muscle at the same time. Work hard and bulld that muscle! All your hard work and muscle will turn your body into a furnace that incenerates fat! Lastly please for the love of all things holy, eat more!!! When you exercise you body needs the extra fuel to help your body repair your damages muscle and thus progress. Allow yourself one meal a week were you sit down and have whatever you like. This is your reward for the weeks hard work. Focus on clean foods, stay on the outskirts of your supermarket. Lots of fresh produce, fruits, and lean proteins. Drink plenty of water, take a good multivitamin, fish oil capsules, and most importantly get plenty of rest. I'm a 31 year old female, 5'6, 140 pounds, 7%, body fat, and a size 3. This has always been my approach to fitness. Also one last bit of advice in my long rant... take your scale and throw it in the trash! A scale is the absolute worst device to hinder your fitness goals. The only time I weight is when I go to the doctor. Muscle weights more than fat because it is denser, so if you properly strength train you will weigh more! Focus on your measurements and not your weight. God bless all of you and I hope you this messages finds you well and within your goals!
myself 33yrs, 5.6', 66kg, 18% body fat, i am working since last 2-1/2 months, when i started working i was 65kg or below 65 even one month earlier, but suddenly i noticed i am over 66kgs, even though i am cautious about my diet also. my workout schedule is about one hour per day expect sunday, which includes first 4km jog in 24 minuts, and then rest of the time with weights and all in different sets. i noticed my belly is some wat coming out as compared to earlier seems i am increasing fat on belly thats why weight is gaining ... i started workout to get abs and arms, but it seems so ... shuld i increase the jog duration and weighted also ... i can notice a little effect on my arms that need to mention for your expert advise ...
I was just searching for a thread on weight training and saw this one.
I really got a lot out of Bob Green's book " Get with the program". He talks about how when we weight train that we will gain water as we gain muscle, and if yoru doing everything right that one day you will get on that scale and your going to notice the "loss". I do get on my scale each day, but I use my clothing to know what my real "loss" is.
I just hope that woman ,as so many woman don't get into weight training one day realize that not only can they prevent bone loss, but they can age very well with helping them to stay active and prevent much of the weight gain we get with age. Do you know ( ok, I read this) that we will loss a pound of muscle each 10 years that we enter into MP? But by doing weight training 2-3 times a week for at least 30 minutes, that we can gain 2.5 pounds of muscle , which in turn will speed up our matabolism. I read that  and I was so at the gym. It's been 3 months now and I will tell you I have butt muscles...lol ~ never even knew.
I wish you all well and I really enjoyed reading all these post as I learned what I need to do more now. Bobthetrainer, I loved what you posted. I will now start training more days, more reps and only do one group of muscle, and I wlll see how this will help me.  I was doing full body 2-3 days a week and cardio sometimes these day, and sometimes on the off days.        
Great Info! I totally agree!! But, what if you just cant get the energy up to do it? I know how to do everything you are saying but I seem to slack in the winter time living in Ohio. Is it oksay ro drink a Energy Drink to get moving?

I often get ready to go to gym and by the time I get my gym clothes on and my bag packed, Im too tired? Im a 44 year old female, great shape but fall into that category with great muscle tone but fat covers it and makes it look bulky. I just look fluffy in the winter and come May/June I lose 10 pounds and look ok.

Any tips on giving me the energy to get up and get moving?
I realize you did not address this to me, but I wanted to comment on what you asked. I would never use an energy drink to get you moving. Keep your gym clothes packed for the next day so you will always be ready.
Also, you can strenth train at home if your dedicated. You can do push ups and set ups and do jumping jacks each day and you will see a huge difference in your energy. Anytime you do any type of strenth training, it does not matter if you use light weights or heavey ones but you must get the muscle exhusted. In some ways doing the lighter weights might work best because you have to do more movements hence more calorie burn because your doing more reps. I had one guy tell me this at the gym and said that it worked for him and others.  
I am so glad that I started doing more strenth training. I am so surprised of how much stronger i am and how good it makes me feel. I am 48, and this is going to help me keep my bones strong as I go through mp, plus keep up my metabolism.  I wish you well.
Hi, I have similiar issues and you seem knowledgeable. I am a 31-year-old female, active. I am 5'4, 120 lbs. Even just two years ago, I was very slender, weight ranging between 113 - 117 lbs. I eat between 1,100 - 1,500 calories daily (clean, high-protein, low-carb diet, tons of water, 5-6 meals), strength train with moderate-to-extreme intensity followed by interval 30-35 minute cardio (up to 5 days a week) with one cardio-only day. I used to be able to lose 5 lbs very easily, now I can't lose one pound despite the above regimen. Do you have any suggestions or comments? Thanks!
I have also had a similar issue. I  5'8 @180 and I'm 27 years old. I started out the year weighing in at 198 so ive lost 18 pounds over seven months. However ive been doing insanity for a month and eating a sensible diet with a fair amount of protein. But my weight lost seems to have stopped. Ive tried using a cleanse to help push past this hump but nothing. I workouy six days a week and eat about 1500 calories a day. Extremely frustrated because im trying to get down to 160-165
I stumbled upon this interesting thread while looking for answers to my weight issue!

A lot of you women sound like me (frustrated). OK, I am 40 years old (but look and feel 28, so all good there). Anyway...I was always an active person, running, swimming, worked as a nurse...and when I wasn't exercising or working I would be running around doing house-chores and DIY and just always on the go. I have had a series of knee problems since 2009 and have had 5 operations to date. So...my running days are over, and so I bought an exercise bike (a good one with the built-in programs for various training techniques etc). I can no longer do impacting sports so cycling and swimming are my only safe options (as of my knees).

So...........I am 40, 5.3 and weight approx: 125.4 lbs. Until early  2012 I maintained a weight of 115 lbs and I was more than happy with this weight. Back then I was more active and still working + not eating very much due to my busy schedule. Since 2012 - to date - the pounds have crept on and so I did do the gym for several weeks and like a lot of you...I weighed heavier! My jeans were tighter and I looked wider (even though I had no real fat) I was not happy with this at all! I stopped the gym as of my latest knee problem and further surgery. So........with being down about my new weight I tired a more desperate measure - the 'MC' - ('Master Cleanse'...also know as the 'Lemon Diet'). I just wanted a quick-fix and this seriously worked! I stuck at it for 6 days and lost 6 lbs..so my size 10 skinny jeans were once again my friend!  But........this diet craze had really bad effects on my digestive system and made me feel worse afterwards. Saying that for the first 3 weeks I kept the pounds off and felt energised and really fresh...I also thought it had reset my metabolic-rate and I was saved from gaining any more pounds thereafter...wrong!!!!! One month on...the weight crept back and about 6 lbs :O Now, I have always been one to eat little and often...not the most healthiest of eaters...but that does not mean I gorge on BK's, crisps, chocolate...I just do not eat the right foods. I snack on cashews (unsalted) I drink copious amounts of espressos....Breakfast is a cappuccino - as that is all I want - and then I will have  a small bowl of 'All Bran' about 11am. Lunch (if it happens) is some fruit, a few gherkins, maybe a yoghurt, and a bag of oven-baked (healthier) crisps). Dinner is steamed or fried (in extra Virgin Olive Oil) fillets of fish, or chicken and prawns, potatoes and green beans.  Later, for a snack I have a few more cashews and then water and more cappuccinos. I have decaf tea during the evening. So not  a bad diet, but also not the best!  I admit I do not drink enough water...I find it hard to remember to pick the bottle up all through the day! :P But I am making myself do it more lately! Oh I do have one biscuit (70 calories) first thing in the morning as I am hypoglycaemic and so if I don't I would fall down!  Two months ago I started some light home-exercise regimes...30 minutes of medium-impact aerobic exercise (basically slow jogging on the spot, and twists, that kind of thing)...in front of the TV. It raised my heart-rate obviously, and that was the goal. So, I kept this up each day until my new bike arrived. Since the bike arrived I have been using it 5 days a week. I do two days on and one day off (as recommend). I began with 30 minutes of lower impact - keeping my heart-rate at 145 and not below 90. I gradually increased to 45 minutes at a higher impact (track program) and then to 50 minutes...by now keeping a heart-rate of 150! While on the bike I also raise my arms and lean from side to side, as to tighten the waist-line and love-handles I have had the pleasure of growing! I can ring my top out after this work-out and am seriously flagging...so that has to be good, yes?

To make sure I was on the right-track for achieving some weight-loss, I sought the advice of a top personal-trainer (my friends brother) and he told me what I was doing was spot-on and to keep it up and I will see results :) This spurred me on even more. OK....so a week on (OK it is not long I know so I must be patient) I feel like there has been no change!

Another annoying aspect is...if I do lose weight (when it happens) I lose it around my bust first, "Aggggghhhh!". Then we cannot have it all! It just seems with exercise my overall body shape becomes and looks denser, my thighs thicken up (I hate that) and I just look heavier....what the??????? The only thing that has ever worked for me is to starve myself - consuming like 400  calories a day and doing no intense exercise - just very light activities around the house (that type of thing) I lose and look slim and sleek! But........this is obviously not the way to go and it cannot be maintained for long. In the end I have to start eating again and so the weight creeps back on.  A vicious circle!

Last night I took my smallest trousers out of the closet....these are size 8 that I used to slide in to (2 years ago) and had no over-hang. 2 months ago they just did up....and guess what?.......last night they are just as tight if not a bit tighter! I do have some water tension I do get bloat and my periods lately are so erratic! I know I am now 40, and maybe the menopause has now become my enemy! My periods are getting heavier, much more frequent, I seem to menstruate every 1.5 weeks, my breasts are double the size they were (but I would swap that for a smaller waist again) and I have hot flushes at times. I also............'SORRY' always have a lot of gas (this causes my stomach to expand a little). Anyway, some days I look slimmer and then some days I look not so slim. In a nut-shell....my weight seems to stick at 125.4 lbs and won't come down! I just want to lose about 7 lbs max, and want some reassurance that if I continue with the bike and increase my water intake, will I lose this last stubborn 7 lbs? I know I am not fat and I am always told I have a gorgeous figure and should be happy and if I was any slimmer I wouldn't look good...but it is a case of what we as women feel comfortable with. I feel comfortable and at my happiest when I am 115 lbs! :(
One last point.....my fiancée says " You do NOT need to lose weight and maybe you aren't losing what you want to lose as there is nothing there to lose in the first place!". Okay so taking on board his advice - and trying to forget about being a skinny girl again; and focusing on 'JUST' toning - I  can see what he is saying. So maybe toning is the aim...maybe I just need to tone and that will slim me down? It is mainly my stomach I want to change....If I toned it I would look slimmer? Although I still want to slim my legs down a touch, maybe lose about 2" all round on the thighs! Oh hell....sorry.....us women, eh! ;)
This is the body shape I had 2 years ago:

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/images/gallery/miranda-kerr-swimsuit-pic.jpg

I would say this is my body shape 'NOW' and when I look in the mirror this is the shape I see:

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/files/images/1105-swimsuits.jpg

Okay, weird but..............2 weeks since starting the bike exercising and swapping white rice and pasta for brown rice, drinking more water, eating less chocolate, no white bread (BAD) and no eating late...I seem to ahve trimmed own. I can notice it myself now.

A typical day for me now is -

Breakfast: Two X espressos shots with hot semi-skimmed milk. Half a mix of All Bran and half of Fruit & Fibre, with semi-skimmed milk.

Mid-Morning Snack: Orange juice and  cashew nuts.

Lunch: I do not have a proper lunch ( :P ). I just have some more orange juice, some more nuts, and maybe pick on some fruit.

Mid afternoon Snack: Coffee, water, low-fat baked crisps, fruit.

Dinner: Salmon fillet, or Sea-bream fillet + chicken breast, stir-fried with vegetables and brown rice + a chilli sauce. Sometimes I may have a hard-boiled egg (YUM).

Later in evening (strawberries + raspberry's and Crème fraîche.

Evenings: As it is hot: Iced coffees (I am never denying myself my coffees). Maybe a small biscuit bar (126 calories) for a chocolate fix - but not every night!

I have cut out all the usual bad stuff, like butter, cheese (my one real love) and starchy white bread, condiments as in Tartare sauce, etc..

This combined with my bike (I'd say about 2 hours a week on the bike) is having real good results already. While on the bike I also add in about 4 sets of high arm raises and side twists. My sides and waist are already trimmer! :D My shorts are looser too!

I do honestly do think it is all about finding the perfect balance and what is right and works for your body - everyone's body is different and reacts in different ways. You'll know when your body finds the key! Good-luck!

Fish is my friend, and just consuming 300 grams of oily fish a day burns an extra an 400 calories :P There are lots of foods that have this effect, many veggies. Look it up!  Oh and increase you intake of green tea and also chilli and garlic and all those good things. A good metabolism booster are all these things! Also don't be afraid to hit the nuts (unsalted) these are good for boosting metabolism!
Just a note for everyone regarding weight loss, diets and working out. You need to figure out your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate), this is the LEAST amount you should be eating, if you were only dieting alone.

For example, my BMR is 1546, and because I workout 5-6 days a week and do strength training, I should be eating around 1800-1900 calories. If you eat ANYTHING lower than your BMR, you are starving your body and it will hold onto the weight.

i am at a plateau after losing around 40 pounds, but for those 40 pounds, I was eating 1200 calories a day. Eventually my body went into starvation mode and stopped the weight loss, so I am resetting my metabolism, which means you should be eating your TDEE for 6-8 weeks and then start cutting calories.

If you do high intensity, you may be adding and should be adding more calories. I know a lot of people aren't keen on this, but: Eat More to Lose Weight.
If you would like to chat please call me tomorrow on 07725 996596. I may be able to help you  with a brand new genetic approach. Michelle
Hi my friend. I understand everything you are saying, , I am  currently recovering from the same symptoms. I vowed to share with others what I know.
This started for me over two years ago. I felt like I was screaming and noone could hear me (or listening). What I did find out after several tests and appointments is, your pituitary gland is the mother ship of all the hormones including your metabolism. Everything I put in my mouth, my body stored as fat.
What was discovered was a tumor that was pressing on my pituitary gland enabling it to function. I had it removed this last fall and am now recovering.
I hope I did not scare you, please look into a visit with an endocrinologist to have blood work to check for the proper functioning of your pituitary and thyroid work hand in hand.

God Bless

TnT

God Bless

TnT
To the commenter:
What kind of ridiculous, uninformed reply is it that once you hit menopause you will have to "live with it." How incredibly ignorant. You can lose weight at any age.

To the questioner:
There are many reasons you might not be losing weight including genetics, body toxicity, calorie intake, nutritional imbalance and more. You can fight genetics, but it is difficult. You really need to ramp up the workouts and pay close attention to the diet.

Decrease your fruit intake and add more veggies. Buy organic to reduce toxicity and drink lots water to flush toxins. Your body holds fat if you consume toxins. Toxins are abundant in both processed foods and regular fruits and veggies. Try to fill up your plate with mostly raw veggies and avoid processed foods like the plague.

Just a few things to try along with your regular diet and exercise program.
To the commenter:

To the questioner:

Wow, I am a male, 140, 5'10, and when I exercise, I lose weight at 2000-2500 calories, and I maintain between 3000-3500. I think a lot of you are starving yourselves...