Eating right, Working out but NOT losing weight
I was wondering if ANYONE has any advice for me.  I have been trying to lose about 5-10lbs over the last year. I am 31 years old , 4'8" and weigh 101 lbs. I used to weight between 89 and 94lbs at the most!
I am pretty atheltic. I ran a marathon a few years ago and shortly after that is when I gained the weight. I have been training for half marathons (I ran one in April 2006) so I have been keeping the cardio up with running 3-4 days during the week and then 5-10 miles on the weekends.  
Recently I got so frustrated that I went to a dietitican. She claimed that I needed to rev up my workouts by doing interval training and then eating more protein and more times of the day.

For the last two months, I have been eating 5 times a day (about 1000-1200 calories) Each meal has protein and carbs and I get my 5 a day fruits and veggies.
I do cardio 5 days a week (3 days are interval training for 45 min--60 seconds at 65% target heart rate and 60 second 85% target heeart rate) The other 2 days of cardio are a 45 minute dance class and then a weekend long distance run that lasts between 1-2 hours. I also weight train 3 days a week. 1 days lower body and two days upper body.

My body fat has increased and my pants size has increased. Why can't I lose the weight or at least the body fat? Does anyone have advice for me?
what's wrong with you!! honey you are underweight!!! you shouldn't weigh less than 110 pounds to begin with. It's not unhealthy to be under that nor will you be more beautiful so why kill yourself that way??
its   l.o.s.e.  not  loose  because  loose is when you  have a loose tooth
its hard to believe you cant even spell  the word lose  because you  and some other dummies  spell  it loose  which  is something we all learn it third grade  ...>>>  lose  loser.     loose  is a whole  different  meaning  lol  professor  rightttttttttttttttttttttt
Hi, im a personal trainer so will give you advice I think would help. Agreeing with some of the comments as that you might have to live with the weight at 30...however your weight really doesn't bad. It sounds healthy.
If you'd like to decrease your body fat, the interval training you added is great. I would personally up your caloric intake as for how much exercise you're doing, your body is feeling more starved than anything else and therefore Holds on to the fat instead of burning it...guessing that is your main problem. Your base metabolic rate (how much you burn everyday without doing anything extra) is probably around 1100-1400, plus daily activity plus your workouts, your body needs much more food for energy!!!
As far as workouts, add an extra leg day and don't be afraid of using weights...the legs have a ton of muscle that can potentially burn body fat, so getting muscle in your legs will make your overall metabolic rate greater.
Hope this helps. Email me if you need anymore advice :) kt.***@****.
Hi every one,

I just wanted to share my story,

I am 23 female with a height of 169cm / 5'6 and my starting weight was 78.5kg / 173 pounds in April 2011 when I joined a gym because I enjoyed Zumba and wanted to lose weight.

First 2 months I was not watching what I was eating and excercising 3 times a week and weighted 76.6kg / 168 pounds in June thats when I decided to start watching what I ate and upped my hour classes to 4-5 a week.

Two months of this I weighed 74.0 kg / 163 pounds and was a bit frustrated ( I think the problem was that I was not eating enough at breakfast and lunch with no snacks then a big meal at the end of the day). I started on a calorie counting diet of 1200 with 3 meals and 3 snacks a day.

The next 2 months went well with my weight being 68.0 kg / 149 pounds in October however the next two months did not continue with the weight loss even though I upped my classes to 6 times a week. In November December my weight went between 68 kg / 149 pounds and 67 kg / 147 pounds.

New years resolution was to change up my classes and increase my diet to 1500 cal with 2 days off a week to eat healthy-ish, now I do an hour weights class Monday, carido Tuesday, yoga Wednesday light weights/high rep Thursday cardio Friday and weights Saturday plus I will normall do a warm up walk for about 30mins before MWTF classes.

I am now maintaning 65 kg / 143 pounds with 2 days off the diet a week to go drink beer at the pub or have a large BBQ dinner... generally enjoy life. In an ideal world I would lose to another 3 kg / 6 pounds but I really love my days off the diet.

You all sound as if you work so hard for your goals and are frustrated with the number as I have often been, as scared as I was to increase calories best thing I have done, I feel really healthy and fit, have not been sick in quite some time and still can go out with friends and family and choose the healthy options (but not all the time) and be happy with my weight even if its not the perfect number.

This may not be the most impressive weight lost story like you see on TV or on the internet, but its my real weight lost story and I hope some one stops giving themselves such a hard time I as slowly am learning!
Yes!! Finally someone is talking sense! You have to eat to lose people!
YES!!!
I agree.
Research consistently shows that increased physical activity does not significantly impact on weight in post-menopausal women.

Similarly a 1000-calorie-per-day diet is no guarantee that weight will be lost, despite what dogma dieticians and nutritionists like to spout. I used to spout that stuff also, until I went through menopause and the weight stacked on despite no change in diet or exercise. I am nearly 20 kilos overweight and on a very small frame (small boned 5' 3") it looks particularly bad.

So I cut my diet back to 1000-1200 calories per day, cut out alcohol completely, and in fact the first month put weight on (and this was not muscle, my clothes were tighter). Gave up on that.

Now I've cut down to 500 calories or less, supplemented with nutriceuticals, and drinking more water and have so far lost 0.5 kilos in a week. Not great but at least it's a loss.

I'm at the stage where I don't care what I have to do to lose that weight - and hunger doesn't bother me. I simply refuse to be fat. The old "calories in/calories out" mantra is not only outdated, it is highly offensive to women like me, and completely ignorant of up-to-date research in obesity and overweight.

Clearly weight loss is a lot more complex than that and dieticians and nutritionists need to get off their backsides and do some serious professional reading.
I should add, before someone comes on with an explanation of "starvation mode", that recent validated research shows quite definitively that starvation mode does not cut in until we are at approximately 5% body fat.

Until that point, our bodies will use our fat reserves as part of our daily calorie requirements.

There are only 2 dangers in very low calorie programs. The most important is risk of nutritional deficiency so a very high-quality broad-spectrum nutritional product is essential. The other danger is that the person may not learn or develop healthy eating and exercise patterns.

So it's also essential to have a plan to return to a sustainable lifestyle. For me that will be the addition of a poached egg to the single slice of dry toast with vegemite in the morning, a piece of fruit mid morning, and a small amount of (for example) tuna and salad for lunch, with a very small portion of whatever is dinner.

I don't know at this stage if I'll ever be able to have alcohol again because I suspect that if I get back to the 1000-1200 level again the weight will once again pile on.

So a glass of wine now and then will be something of a treat. I don't have any food addictions so nothing will be missed.

Until someone comes up with an answer to post-menopausal weight (and research strongly indicates that may be as close as 24 months away) if we want to be slim we have to starve. Otherwise be fat and happy and wait for the cure.
So Im 23 years old and i cant seem to get weight off, I have excersise induced asthma which makes it extremely difficult to do a fast paced excersise.  I dont eat fast food, I try to drink as much water as possible and if i do drink soda its diet. I dont eat alot of food, i make sure i eat 3 square meals a day though, I dont snack and if i do its lowfat popcorn or something. Im at my wits end on what to do about my weight. I have a 3 and a 4 year old and its basically the baby weight i havnt been able to get off since i became a mother. does anyone have any suggestions?
Everything you just said is me exactly. I started Zumba for 1 hour nonstop every night for 3 weeks, sweating like I never sweated before, and in 3 weeks, lost no weight! And if I ate 5 small meals a day? I would still gain. I have to starve! Noone knows my body like I do, and starving is the only thing that ever worked for me.
Clean eating is the only way to go. Ground turkey, quinoa, brown rice, wheat germ, vegetables and limited fruits will never steer you wrong. Do not drink any calories. What's wrong with water? It does the job better than the rest, and although calorie-free drinks are what they say, they desensitize you from the taste of natural foods and will hamper your progress in the long run.

These foods must be without any "sugar coating" like butter, salt, or sugar, even substitutes. And no canned or processed food. Trust me, these foods do not need any improvement once you become used to them. Most of us are so desensitized to good food because all of the processed, salty garbage we eat that a simple floret of broccoli is lost on us. It tastes bitter and bland when it should be flavorful and nutty.

I would challenge everyone to eat as much "clean food" as they possibly can, all day long, every day for 2 weeks. I guarantee that you will not gain a single pound no matter how much you can eat before you feel like you're going to burst. Your body, when denied of any "sugar-coating" will tell you when you're full and will refuse food when you've had enough calories. Exercise will help you tone muscle, harden your core, etc. as well as improve heart, brain, and other organ functions and health.

On a related note, weight does not determine if you are healthy or not. Ever. It can be a guide, but if you go up 4 lbs and your pants are tight, it doesn't mean that it is fat. If you are distressed, I suggest a "body dunk" with a company like Fitness Wave. I have used them in the past. They are very thorough and will be FAR more reliable then calipers.

Rely on how you feel walking up stairs, your breathing, your chest (any constricting feeling?), fatigue, hair, nails, and skin pallor, etc. to help determine your health. I am 5'6, 168 pounds, and big boned, and I am healthy and beautiful, and not overweight. Doctors had been convincing me all my life that I was doing something wrong. I exercised, limited, and restrained myself so much that at 145 lbs I was a stick and zombie-like because I was so malnourished. If this sounds like you, try gaining a little muscle. Since you are eating too little and burning more than you take in, your muscles are in need of food constantly, and are even used as a source of fuel when you are hungry. Try eating a little real food, you might feel better! Everyone's body type is different and needs different things. Just listen to your body and it will listen to you. :)
I am 34 years old and typically fluctuate from 128-135 pounds and I am 5'4.  I joined with a trainer to tone up (because even though my weight hasn't changed much, I lost all my muscle and now have fatty areas from when I quit training 2 years ago.) My diet hasn't changed much either. I am very consistent. I eat high protein foods, some carbs- but not much (I try to avoid these), veggies, and fruits. I rarely eat processed foods or fast food. I rarely drink soda.  My typical day consists of tuna, protein bar, protein shake, raw veggies, oatmeal, and fruit. I may eat chicken breast and veggies for dinner. However, I noticed this time around with the trainer, it has been difficult for me. The only difference in me is the I had my gallbladder removed last year. I can notice some tone in my legs and arms, but my middle just keeps growing it seems. I never had that problem before. It is not huge by any means, but I wear shirts to hide it because it is somewhat noticeable if I wear a tighter shirt.  I look like I am 2 months pregnant. I have actually gained some weight after training for 2 months now-  up to 139 lbs. My clothes all fit the same really.  He trained me before and it doesn't seem to be working for me. He can't even figure out. My health is good.....got all my labs checked....not sure what's up. Oh, and I am not pregnant. lol.
if you gain weight countinously after exercise then you can loose your diet.don't eat oily food.
Hi Bob, I enjoy reading your advice. I have have been training for two weeks now. 20 min running around 4 km. then some front and back legs, arm and shoulder weights, on top of that I swim average of 6 laps. All this daily. I start with 67.8 kg at the first week I was 65.8, now the second week am 66.9 meaning that I am putting on weight. My diet is 0 sweets (i dont like them) boiled eggs,, smoke salmon, salds with lemon and olive oil, beef and chicken, grapefruit before meals. So, Why is this hapening, what am i doing wrong? I would really appreciate your advice. Brw, i am 36 years old morher. Thanks
Really, how dare you tell any woman entering menapause that they have to learn to live with weight gain!!! Shame on you!
Hello everyone,

I desperately need help!  I am 37 years old 5"2' and weigh 205lbs.  I have been gaining weight for the past 6 years and nothing I do seems to work.  I have had my thyroid tested and everything is normal.  I am currently on a program called medical weight loss (medical weight loss clinic).  I eat about 1400 calories per day (all fresh fruits and veggies, 61/2oz of lean protein at lunch and dinner, 3 small starches a day...rice cake, 1/2 aKmak cracker, no salt and drink water).  I follow the plan religiously and have only lost 6lbs in three weeks.  The diet starts with a 3 day cleanse and most people loose 5-10lbs in the first three days...I gained 2lbs.  I know that 6lbs isn't awful, but on this diet I am supposed to loose 3lbs per week (not counting the cleansing).  I feel like a failure...I am so unhappy with myself and I'm starting to loose hope that I will ever be healthy again.

I have always struggled with my weight (I had to work twice as hard as a normal person just to maintain a reasonable weight), but since I had my daughter in 2007 and then a serious car crash three moths later, I just can't stop gaining weight.  I have even tried Adipex (doctor prescribed), and couldn't loose more than 10lbs.  I am obese and I don't even overeat...I don't know what to do.

Thanks for listening!

lil-irish74
I am a nurse and I too am plagued by excessive weight gain and ill health since my hysterectomy and salpingo-oophorectomy (uterus/both ovaries) .Ive ran across a three books I am purchasing. After all my medical research I think Ive figured out "our issue".  Without the adequate hormones a list of numerous side affects start rearing their nasty head!!  Hormones regulate our entire body just as thyroid, adrenals, cortisol and more. Without a proper balance of Progesterone,testosterone(yes girls we have a minute amount) and estrogen comes all sorts of health risks and side affects  So we need to replace the ones lost by surgical menopause (likely a compounded cream) along with vitamins that replacement hormones deplete from our bodies at an alarming rate. My journey is about to begin....jump on and see what lies ahead.I hope this helps everyone who reads,along with myself. Im sick of not being the old me!!!  Good luck!!  **** (Books:Christine Northrup M D -Menopause and Beyond and The Wisdom Of Menopause. Also,Gale Maleskey & Mary Knittel The Hormone Connection and Pamela Wartian Smith M D- What You Must Know About Womens Hormones)
review seeinclear1010101
Same thing is happening with me. I am 32 & have been doing anaerobic exercise for over a month & for 6 days a week. But my weight is stuck on to 65 kg. How to lose weight... it is so disappointing
Bob, I would really be interested in learning more about weight loss and diet. Do you have a website??
There are too many folks with simple answers here. I too have gained weight while doing supposedly all the right things. My head is swimming. I weight train two times a week. High intensity interval train twice a week. Moderate walk once a week. I eat on small plates, high protein, moderate fat and have included some fruits, veggies and whole grains (not wheat) into my diet. I eat whole foods (non processed) and I count calories. My trainer, nutritionist and doctor say I haven't been eating enough. I've gone from 197 to 221 in 9 months. I'm 5'11". I had been on a high protein, low fat, low carb diet and lost approx 25 pounds before the weight gain. I had been clocking 700-1000 a day. I did a full body comp and found out my BMR was 1700 calories. My doctor said I should be eating at least 2600 to maintain my weight and 2100 to lose weight. I can't get my head around this. I can't seem to eat that much a day and increased carbs are the only way to go. Unfortunately, carbs don't really agree with me and fruits and veggies only get me so far with the total caloric intake. I have no hormonal issues and my blood and urine panels are excellent. My doctor says I'm, one of the healthiest people in her practice, but I can't afford to buy more clothes to accommodate this new weigh and I feel uncomfortable in my own skin. My idea weight should be in the 190s. I'm really frustrated.
Hi there, isee that it been a while.  I am simular problems eating healty excercising two to three times a week but not losing only gaining weight.  Have you found any thing that is working for you. I have been on estrogen treatment for a while so not sure if that might have a effect.
I have been in the weight loss industry for 8 years. I have a graduate degree in Aging. Thyroid definitely influences the metabolism. However, after 8 years of evaluating metabolisms through indirect calorimetry I have not seen a metabolism that will hinder weight loss. If your slip into bed at night and your sheets get warm, you can burn fat, in fact you burn more fat sleeping than with exercise, although exercise is important. If anyone is not losing weight with exercise...exercise is not your problem. The food intake is. Hormones will impact where we deposit fat but it doesn't impact whether we deposit fat. I have helped many menopausal and non menopausal women lose fat and have never seen anyone not see change. I would really look at your food, chasing hormones will only leave you more frustrated, confused and potentially more heavy.
My lovely friends, it seems to be the same song and dance with most of you. "I do cardio hours on end." I eat 1000-1200 calories a day and I still can't lose weight." Your major problems are too much cardio, too little strength training, and way too little calories! Steady state cardio is a compete waste of time. Why would you want to pound away for 45 to 60 minutes of dull steady state cardio? Do HITT training for 20 minutes 3-4 times a week. Strength train and I don't mean any of this light weight 15-20 repition strength training stuff either. If you can't push out 8 reps, the weight is too heavy. If you can easily do 12 reps, it's too light. Women do not easily bulk up because we lack the amounts of testosterone needed to gain pounds of muscle. If you are lifting and perceive that you're getting bulky, then look at your body fat percentage and not the amount of weight you're lifting. It's most likely that excess body fat is covering the growing muscle and it appears larger therefore less cut and defined. Like another poster said, focus a lot of energy on legs. These are massive muscles that require a large amount of oxygen and blood flow. Developed leg muscles will increase your metabolism when worked hard and to exhaustion. Also when you strength train split body sections into their own days. For example, chest/shoulder/biceps on Monday, back/triceps Wednesday, and devote a whole routine to legs on Fridays. When weight training work in a circuit frame of mind. Preform a chest exercise then go straight into a shoulder exercise with no rest between sections. This keeps your heart rate up while building muscle at the same time. Work hard and bulld that muscle! All your hard work and muscle will turn your body into a furnace that incenerates fat! Lastly please for the love of all things holy, eat more!!! When you exercise you body needs the extra fuel to help your body repair your damages muscle and thus progress. Allow yourself one meal a week were you sit down and have whatever you like. This is your reward for the weeks hard work. Focus on clean foods, stay on the outskirts of your supermarket. Lots of fresh produce, fruits, and lean proteins. Drink plenty of water, take a good multivitamin, fish oil capsules, and most importantly get plenty of rest. I'm a 31 year old female, 5'6, 140 pounds, 7%, body fat, and a size 3. This has always been my approach to fitness. Also one last bit of advice in my long rant... take your scale and throw it in the trash! A scale is the absolute worst device to hinder your fitness goals. The only time I weight is when I go to the doctor. Muscle weights more than fat because it is denser, so if you properly strength train you will weigh more! Focus on your measurements and not your weight. God bless all of you and I hope you this messages finds you well and within your goals!
myself 33yrs, 5.6', 66kg, 18% body fat, i am working since last 2-1/2 months, when i started working i was 65kg or below 65 even one month earlier, but suddenly i noticed i am over 66kgs, even though i am cautious about my diet also. my workout schedule is about one hour per day expect sunday, which includes first 4km jog in 24 minuts, and then rest of the time with weights and all in different sets. i noticed my belly is some wat coming out as compared to earlier seems i am increasing fat on belly thats why weight is gaining ... i started workout to get abs and arms, but it seems so ... shuld i increase the jog duration and weighted also ... i can notice a little effect on my arms that need to mention for your expert advise ...
I was just searching for a thread on weight training and saw this one.
I really got a lot out of Bob Green's book " Get with the program". He talks about how when we weight train that we will gain water as we gain muscle, and if yoru doing everything right that one day you will get on that scale and your going to notice the "loss". I do get on my scale each day, but I use my clothing to know what my real "loss" is.
I just hope that woman ,as so many woman don't get into weight training one day realize that not only can they prevent bone loss, but they can age very well with helping them to stay active and prevent much of the weight gain we get with age. Do you know ( ok, I read this) that we will loss a pound of muscle each 10 years that we enter into MP? But by doing weight training 2-3 times a week for at least 30 minutes, that we can gain 2.5 pounds of muscle , which in turn will speed up our matabolism. I read that  and I was so at the gym. It's been 3 months now and I will tell you I have butt muscles...lol ~ never even knew.
I wish you all well and I really enjoyed reading all these post as I learned what I need to do more now. Bobthetrainer, I loved what you posted. I will now start training more days, more reps and only do one group of muscle, and I wlll see how this will help me.  I was doing full body 2-3 days a week and cardio sometimes these day, and sometimes on the off days.        
Great Info! I totally agree!! But, what if you just cant get the energy up to do it? I know how to do everything you are saying but I seem to slack in the winter time living in Ohio. Is it oksay ro drink a Energy Drink to get moving?

I often get ready to go to gym and by the time I get my gym clothes on and my bag packed, Im too tired? Im a 44 year old female, great shape but fall into that category with great muscle tone but fat covers it and makes it look bulky. I just look fluffy in the winter and come May/June I lose 10 pounds and look ok.

Any tips on giving me the energy to get up and get moving?
I realize you did not address this to me, but I wanted to comment on what you asked. I would never use an energy drink to get you moving. Keep your gym clothes packed for the next day so you will always be ready.
Also, you can strenth train at home if your dedicated. You can do push ups and set ups and do jumping jacks each day and you will see a huge difference in your energy. Anytime you do any type of strenth training, it does not matter if you use light weights or heavey ones but you must get the muscle exhusted. In some ways doing the lighter weights might work best because you have to do more movements hence more calorie burn because your doing more reps. I had one guy tell me this at the gym and said that it worked for him and others.  
I am so glad that I started doing more strenth training. I am so surprised of how much stronger i am and how good it makes me feel. I am 48, and this is going to help me keep my bones strong as I go through mp, plus keep up my metabolism.  I wish you well.
Hi, I have similiar issues and you seem knowledgeable. I am a 31-year-old female, active. I am 5'4, 120 lbs. Even just two years ago, I was very slender, weight ranging between 113 - 117 lbs. I eat between 1,100 - 1,500 calories daily (clean, high-protein, low-carb diet, tons of water, 5-6 meals), strength train with moderate-to-extreme intensity followed by interval 30-35 minute cardio (up to 5 days a week) with one cardio-only day. I used to be able to lose 5 lbs very easily, now I can't lose one pound despite the above regimen. Do you have any suggestions or comments? Thanks!
I have also had a similar issue. I  5'8 @180 and I'm 27 years old. I started out the year weighing in at 198 so ive lost 18 pounds over seven months. However ive been doing insanity for a month and eating a sensible diet with a fair amount of protein. But my weight lost seems to have stopped. Ive tried using a cleanse to help push past this hump but nothing. I workouy six days a week and eat about 1500 calories a day. Extremely frustrated because im trying to get down to 160-165
I stumbled upon this interesting thread while looking for answers to my weight issue!

A lot of you women sound like me (frustrated). OK, I am 40 years old (but look and feel 28, so all good there). Anyway...I was always an active person, running, swimming, worked as a nurse...and when I wasn't exercising or working I would be running around doing house-chores and DIY and just always on the go. I have had a series of knee problems since 2009 and have had 5 operations to date. So...my running days are over, and so I bought an exercise bike (a good one with the built-in programs for various training techniques etc). I can no longer do impacting sports so cycling and swimming are my only safe options (as of my knees).

So...........I am 40, 5.3 and weight approx: 125.4 lbs. Until early  2012 I maintained a weight of 115 lbs and I was more than happy with this weight. Back then I was more active and still working + not eating very much due to my busy schedule. Since 2012 - to date - the pounds have crept on and so I did do the gym for several weeks and like a lot of you...I weighed heavier! My jeans were tighter and I looked wider (even though I had no real fat) I was not happy with this at all! I stopped the gym as of my latest knee problem and further surgery. So........with being down about my new weight I tired a more desperate measure - the 'MC' - ('Master Cleanse'...also know as the 'Lemon Diet'). I just wanted a quick-fix and this seriously worked! I stuck at it for 6 days and lost 6 lbs..so my size 10 skinny jeans were once again my friend!  But........this diet craze had really bad effects on my digestive system and made me feel worse afterwards. Saying that for the first 3 weeks I kept the pounds off and felt energised and really fresh...I also thought it had reset my metabolic-rate and I was saved from gaining any more pounds thereafter...wrong!!!!! One month on...the weight crept back and about 6 lbs :O Now, I have always been one to eat little and often...not the most healthiest of eaters...but that does not mean I gorge on BK's, crisps, chocolate...I just do not eat the right foods. I snack on cashews (unsalted) I drink copious amounts of espressos....Breakfast is a cappuccino - as that is all I want - and then I will have  a small bowl of 'All Bran' about 11am. Lunch (if it happens) is some fruit, a few gherkins, maybe a yoghurt, and a bag of oven-baked (healthier) crisps). Dinner is steamed or fried (in extra Virgin Olive Oil) fillets of fish, or chicken and prawns, potatoes and green beans.  Later, for a snack I have a few more cashews and then water and more cappuccinos. I have decaf tea during the evening. So not  a bad diet, but also not the best!  I admit I do not drink enough water...I find it hard to remember to pick the bottle up all through the day! :P But I am making myself do it more lately! Oh I do have one biscuit (70 calories) first thing in the morning as I am hypoglycaemic and so if I don't I would fall down!  Two months ago I started some light home-exercise regimes...30 minutes of medium-impact aerobic exercise (basically slow jogging on the spot, and twists, that kind of thing)...in front of the TV. It raised my heart-rate obviously, and that was the goal. So, I kept this up each day until my new bike arrived. Since the bike arrived I have been using it 5 days a week. I do two days on and one day off (as recommend). I began with 30 minutes of lower impact - keeping my heart-rate at 145 and not below 90. I gradually increased to 45 minutes at a higher impact (track program) and then to 50 minutes...by now keeping a heart-rate of 150! While on the bike I also raise my arms and lean from side to side, as to tighten the waist-line and love-handles I have had the pleasure of growing! I can ring my top out after this work-out and am seriously flagging...so that has to be good, yes?

To make sure I was on the right-track for achieving some weight-loss, I sought the advice of a top personal-trainer (my friends brother) and he told me what I was doing was spot-on and to keep it up and I will see results :) This spurred me on even more. OK....so a week on (OK it is not long I know so I must be patient) I feel like there has been no change!

Another annoying aspect is...if I do lose weight (when it happens) I lose it around my bust first, "Aggggghhhh!". Then we cannot have it all! It just seems with exercise my overall body shape becomes and looks denser, my thighs thicken up (I hate that) and I just look heavier....what the??????? The only thing that has ever worked for me is to starve myself - consuming like 400  calories a day and doing no intense exercise - just very light activities around the house (that type of thing) I lose and look slim and sleek! But........this is obviously not the way to go and it cannot be maintained for long. In the end I have to start eating again and so the weight creeps back on.  A vicious circle!

Last night I took my smallest trousers out of the closet....these are size 8 that I used to slide in to (2 years ago) and had no over-hang. 2 months ago they just did up....and guess what?.......last night they are just as tight if not a bit tighter! I do have some water tension I do get bloat and my periods lately are so erratic! I know I am now 40, and maybe the menopause has now become my enemy! My periods are getting heavier, much more frequent, I seem to menstruate every 1.5 weeks, my breasts are double the size they were (but I would swap that for a smaller waist again) and I have hot flushes at times. I also............'SORRY' always have a lot of gas (this causes my stomach to expand a little). Anyway, some days I look slimmer and then some days I look not so slim. In a nut-shell....my weight seems to stick at 125.4 lbs and won't come down! I just want to lose about 7 lbs max, and want some reassurance that if I continue with the bike and increase my water intake, will I lose this last stubborn 7 lbs? I know I am not fat and I am always told I have a gorgeous figure and should be happy and if I was any slimmer I wouldn't look good...but it is a case of what we as women feel comfortable with. I feel comfortable and at my happiest when I am 115 lbs! :(
One last point.....my fiancée says " You do NOT need to lose weight and maybe you aren't losing what you want to lose as there is nothing there to lose in the first place!". Okay so taking on board his advice - and trying to forget about being a skinny girl again; and focusing on 'JUST' toning - I  can see what he is saying. So maybe toning is the aim...maybe I just need to tone and that will slim me down? It is mainly my stomach I want to change....If I toned it I would look slimmer? Although I still want to slim my legs down a touch, maybe lose about 2" all round on the thighs! Oh hell....sorry.....us women, eh! ;)
This is the body shape I had 2 years ago:

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/images/gallery/miranda-kerr-swimsuit-pic.jpg

I would say this is my body shape 'NOW' and when I look in the mirror this is the shape I see:

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/files/images/1105-swimsuits.jpg

Okay, weird but..............2 weeks since starting the bike exercising and swapping white rice and pasta for brown rice, drinking more water, eating less chocolate, no white bread (BAD) and no eating late...I seem to ahve trimmed own. I can notice it myself now.

A typical day for me now is -

Breakfast: Two X espressos shots with hot semi-skimmed milk. Half a mix of All Bran and half of Fruit & Fibre, with semi-skimmed milk.

Mid-Morning Snack: Orange juice and  cashew nuts.

Lunch: I do not have a proper lunch ( :P ). I just have some more orange juice, some more nuts, and maybe pick on some fruit.

Mid afternoon Snack: Coffee, water, low-fat baked crisps, fruit.

Dinner: Salmon fillet, or Sea-bream fillet + chicken breast, stir-fried with vegetables and brown rice + a chilli sauce. Sometimes I may have a hard-boiled egg (YUM).

Later in evening (strawberries + raspberry's and Crème fraîche.

Evenings: As it is hot: Iced coffees (I am never denying myself my coffees). Maybe a small biscuit bar (126 calories) for a chocolate fix - but not every night!

I have cut out all the usual bad stuff, like butter, cheese (my one real love) and starchy white bread, condiments as in Tartare sauce, etc..

This combined with my bike (I'd say about 2 hours a week on the bike) is having real good results already. While on the bike I also add in about 4 sets of high arm raises and side twists. My sides and waist are already trimmer! :D My shorts are looser too!

I do honestly do think it is all about finding the perfect balance and what is right and works for your body - everyone's body is different and reacts in different ways. You'll know when your body finds the key! Good-luck!

Fish is my friend, and just consuming 300 grams of oily fish a day burns an extra an 400 calories :P There are lots of foods that have this effect, many veggies. Look it up!  Oh and increase you intake of green tea and also chilli and garlic and all those good things. A good metabolism booster are all these things! Also don't be afraid to hit the nuts (unsalted) these are good for boosting metabolism!
Just a note for everyone regarding weight loss, diets and working out. You need to figure out your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate), this is the LEAST amount you should be eating, if you were only dieting alone.

For example, my BMR is 1546, and because I workout 5-6 days a week and do strength training, I should be eating around 1800-1900 calories. If you eat ANYTHING lower than your BMR, you are starving your body and it will hold onto the weight.

i am at a plateau after losing around 40 pounds, but for those 40 pounds, I was eating 1200 calories a day. Eventually my body went into starvation mode and stopped the weight loss, so I am resetting my metabolism, which means you should be eating your TDEE for 6-8 weeks and then start cutting calories.

If you do high intensity, you may be adding and should be adding more calories. I know a lot of people aren't keen on this, but: Eat More to Lose Weight.
If you would like to chat please call me tomorrow on 07725 996596. I may be able to help you  with a brand new genetic approach. Michelle
Hi my friend. I understand everything you are saying, , I am  currently recovering from the same symptoms. I vowed to share with others what I know.
This started for me over two years ago. I felt like I was screaming and noone could hear me (or listening). What I did find out after several tests and appointments is, your pituitary gland is the mother ship of all the hormones including your metabolism. Everything I put in my mouth, my body stored as fat.
What was discovered was a tumor that was pressing on my pituitary gland enabling it to function. I had it removed this last fall and am now recovering.
I hope I did not scare you, please look into a visit with an endocrinologist to have blood work to check for the proper functioning of your pituitary and thyroid work hand in hand.

God Bless

TnT

God Bless

TnT
To the commenter:
What kind of ridiculous, uninformed reply is it that once you hit menopause you will have to "live with it." How incredibly ignorant. You can lose weight at any age.

To the questioner:
There are many reasons you might not be losing weight including genetics, body toxicity, calorie intake, nutritional imbalance and more. You can fight genetics, but it is difficult. You really need to ramp up the workouts and pay close attention to the diet.

Decrease your fruit intake and add more veggies. Buy organic to reduce toxicity and drink lots water to flush toxins. Your body holds fat if you consume toxins. Toxins are abundant in both processed foods and regular fruits and veggies. Try to fill up your plate with mostly raw veggies and avoid processed foods like the plague.

Just a few things to try along with your regular diet and exercise program.
To the commenter:

To the questioner:

Wow, I am a male, 140, 5'10, and when I exercise, I lose weight at 2000-2500 calories, and I maintain between 3000-3500. I think a lot of you are starving yourselves...
Muscle does not weigh more than fat.  A pound of muscle and a pound of fat both weigh the same.  A Pound.  the difference is a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat.  When people say muscle weighs more than fat it confuses those that do not understand this concept.
Where the concept comes into play is when someone is trying to lose weight.  You begin an exercise program and eat right.  You feel like you are shrinking a little bit but he scale does not show it.  This is a common occurrence.  Of course a pound equals a pound but this is like apples and oranges.  Your body can be shrinking, pants lose and yet when you stand on a scale, you have not lost a bit of weight.  This is do to replacing muscle with fat.  This exact thing happened to me.  This was explained to me by my doctor.  So, someone newly starting an exercise program while trying to lose weight should expect that it will not appear from the scale's point of view to be working right away but eventually WILL.  

luck to all
hi , how are you doing now?
i am reading all comment , have u thing that maybe you are not eating enough and your body is on shock and keep loosing weight because everything you eat is stock in case no good nutriment is available , you are talking with 2 persone who look like if they knnow a lot but maybe they havent think about that... it happened to me , was running, and training and not lost anyweight because i was not eating enough.. and you said that u are eating 1000 to 1200 cal a day ,,, maybe you should calculate it again ,, and look if you have not forgot anything that u have eaten because sometime just a few thing a day that u forgot give u at the end of the week a full meal extra in calorie .. good luck in your research for loosing weight ..
Cut the carbs down to less than 15g a day and after 3 weeks you will drop into ketosis and the weight will fall off. You will most likely drop 2-3 lbs a week. When you get to where you want to be, bring the carbs up to 20/day... if still losing bring them up 2 carbs per week until you stabilize.   Then stick with it and weigh once a week to ensure you are not gaining or losing.