Exercise & Fitness Community
Excessive Hunger

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Excessive Hunger

I am excessively hungry all day, every day.  No matter how much or how little I eat; no matter what I eat, I am still hungry.  I have only found one reference on the internet to this problem. Polyphagia is the name for excessive hunger.  The article explained various reasons for this condition, to include hormonal problems, blood sugar levels, to name a few.  I have been tested and retested and everything is within normal limits.  Despite the intense hunger, I am not over weight.  I decided a long time ago that I could be either fat and over weight or thin and over weight.  I chose the latter.  However, it is becoming increasingly difficult to live and function like this.  I eat three meals a day, every day.  I also have snacks two to three times a day.  On occasion, although I have eaten a meal, I'll have the dry heaves because I am so hungry.  About once a month, I have a "melt down" where I'll just sit and cry.  I don't know which is worse... feeling intense hunger ALL the time or the fact that absolutely no one understands why I just can't eat until I'm full.  That simply doesn't happen.  All you can eat buffets, if I let myself go, would lose money on my patronage.  What can I do??  It's wearing me down.  I've been experiencing this four about three years.  I'm tired.
When you eat, do you sit and enjoy your food slowly or do you eat on the run? Maybe you are not really enjoying your food and it leaves you feeling empty. Do you get enough fluid? Some days when I have been over indulging, I try to carry bottled water with me and sip on it. It can give your stomach a full sensation and decrease the urge to nibble. Have you been tested for Diabetes? Also, may you just have a very high metabolism, especially if you are not overweight. Stress may also cause you to feel hungry all the time. Not sure about your situation, but if you are overall healthy it could just be your body needs more nutrition. Do you take vitamins or any supplements?
Very interesting information. I hope that you find out more about what is going on. Good Luck
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions.  Actually, I very much enjoy eating so I don't rush it.  I've been tested for numerous physical causes so those have been ruled out.  And, unfortunately, I do not have a high metabolism.  I gain weight very easily so I have to be diligent about what I eat and my exercise routine.  I recently found out that Leptin is a peptide hormone that regulates the appetite.  Without it, the brain doesn't know it's had enough to eat.  Studies are currently being conducted on animals without this hormone (the animals are overweight and eat continually), but as of yet, there is no cure.  Although I'm upset that nothing, so far, can be done, at least now I know the cause.  Thanks again.
Hoodia seems to help me but I don't take it often and I don't know any side effects.  Also need to find a reliable vendor because there is fake hoodia out there.  {hoodia is an african cactus that is taken to counteract hunger}. peace
Thank you for your suggestion, but isn't Hoodia an appetitite suppressant?  Given the leptin hormone theory, I'm not sure Hoodia would work, but I'll go by Bird in Hand, a local herb/vitamin store in the area and get their thoughts.  Thanks again!
i have a really bad dry heaving issue.i run cross country and track.whenever i run i get dry heaves.everyone tells me i need to drink more water,but i think i drink enough water.i probably need like a medication or something.i told my doctor about it but they didn't really do anything for me except tell me i should drink more water.why would this happen and how can i prevent it?
www.oa.org

This is the solution that's worked for me.
I am having exactly the same problem. I have not had it for a long time, but recently, as you say, no matter what i eat i am not full. I could sit at an all you can eat buffet, eat until i feel like i will burst, but still not feel "full" or "satisfied." I suspect the reason for this may be a stomach ulcer or something similar, because i DO get the feeling of my stomach stretching as if i have eaten, but there is a hunger pain, or a burning sensation in my upper abdomen, as if i have not eaten in months. This is a symptom of having a stomach ulcer. I am going to a doctor to check it out tomorrow, I will post the result.
Althought this has only lasted a month or so for me, it is very distressing and it is making it difficult for me to study for my exams :( i cannot imagine having to feel this way for 3 years! you are very strong, and i really hope soon you will be free from the intense hunger. Do ask a doctor about a potential stomach ulcer/gastritis type problem. GOOD LUCK
The leptin hormone which is responsible for feeling full, also is an anabolic regulator. Its activation helps build muscle and breakdown fat, and speeds up the metabolism. It works in association with the hypothalamus and pituitary gland. The key is to activate the leptin pathway.  There are supplements and foods that are most effective in doing this. L-glutamine, creatine, leucine***, arginine*** and a fast absorbing whey(like an isolate) will serve to do this. It is also important to take large amounts of calcium to ensure adequate absorbtion of nutrients. Anyhow, the supplements listed above will ensure protein synthesis and improve feelings of fullness/nourishment.
I am curious if your doctor has confirmed your problem because I am experiencing the same thing. I had heart failure and after doing a little research I found that one of my medications (carvedilol) has a side effect of excessive hunger. However, my doctors have run several panels of blood test and nothing. Someone suggested that I get my hormones checked because I have had 2 children and a tubal in 2009. The only difference is that my excessive hunger happens for a period of time then it goes away. Last year it happened a few times, and this time I have been hungry non-stop since Monday. NOT A GOOD FEELING! My meals are well balanced and I eat plenty veggies, fruit, and proteins. I can't come off the heart medication because I still have some time to recover, but there has to be an answer to at least fixing the hunger feeling that haunts me.