Exercise & Fitness Community
Excruciating stomach pain whilst running
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Excruciating stomach pain whilst running

I am a 24 yo female. I am fit and eat a balanced diet. Recently I have been experiencing excruciating lower abdomen pain when running outdoors. This pain is of similar characteristic to period pain but is definitely unrelated as it may happen one day and not the next and happens at all times throughout my cycle. It is not a 'cramp' as it is not muscular it is a more internal pain. The pain occurs about 2km in the run. I run at a constant pace so can not be linked to exertion.
This pain is followed be the feeling that I need to go to the toilet, urgently! Sometimes I feel like I'm not going to make it to the toilet and once I get there I am unable to pass anything.
If I try and ignore the pain it gets so excruciating that I have to stop and end up having to curl up in the fetal position with the feeling of vomiting and diarrhea. It is horrible. After approx 5 mins I am able to walk and after 10 mins the feeling is completely gone. If I try to run again the pain comes back straight away.
I am always well hydrated before I go for a run. I am a dancer and this never occurs when I dance.
I have tried so many things but there seems to be no consistency as to when it occurs.
I have tried running on a full & empty stomach, in the morning and at night, at all times throughout my menstrual cycle and there are no patterns or consistencies as to when it occurs.
This pain is preventing me from running for the time & distance I desire. These pains are horrendous and as I run outside it is also extremely embarrassing to be running and have to drop to to ground in agony and curl up it in fetal position feeling like I'm going to soil myself. What's wrong with we!!!!