Exercise & Fitness Community
Exercising, eating better...stomach getting bigger

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Okay, I'm starting to get very discouraged.  Over a month ago, I started exercising 5 times a week with cardio and strength training.  I have been pretty sedentary for about a year so I knew it had to be done.  I have seen great results in my mood, energy level, and muscle tone, however, my stomach is getting larger!  I am 52 and do NOT weigh myself because I am afraid to get discouraged anymore than I am.  I recently went off of the birth control pill and I am sure my hormones have a lot to do with it. I knew the stomach would be the last to go, but it is getting bigger.  I am not pregnant...lol.  It also has some muscle tone, but it is under fat.  AND my stomach can't be sucked in much anymore.  

Yesterday, I ate great and small portions. First thing this morning, I look 7 months pregnant.  Anyone???
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

I think you are suggesting about your abdominal girth by referring it to as "stomach".
You should go in a very calculated way, measure your weight, waist line and also your height. Calculate your BMI and then visit a dietician to prepare a neat diet chart. After getting motivated and proper food control you can go ahead vigorously.
By this you will be monitored by a dietician and also your trainer and you can go ahead properly. The hormones sure have lot of side effects and do not worry about what people think.
With sustained effort over a period of time you will lose weight and also your abdominal girth.

Take care!
Thanks for answering.  The thing that is starting to scare me, is that I am eating much less, more healthy, and I AM losing weight in other parts of my body that do not need it as much.  I have very thin legs and arms.  This stomach looks like I am very pregnant and is firm. I do have some fat on it, but not as much as would cause it to look like this.  It starts from the very top and is round and distended, with no discomfort.  I have always had the ability to push it out and look pregnant, as did my sister, and one daughter, but this isn't funny.  Sucking it in only goes so far.  All my pants are getting tighter.  I think I better see a doc.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

You can see a fitness expert and get yourself measured, but I can assure you that you will lose the abdominal girth with sustained exercise and some amount of weights training for longer period. Keep up your motivation and consult a doctor for second opinion.

Take care!
Oh Rita! I can sure relate. I have that exact same problem. I, too, am 52 and the battle of the bulge is beating me. My tummy is so big, I look pregnant and I am eating well, exercising and doing all I should be. It just will NOT go down. Since last year, my weight has gone up 10 pounds and I have no clue as to why. I hate to get on the scale, every time I do, it is up and I get so depressed. I do not know what else to do short of starving myself. I have asked my doctor and she says not to worry that I am doing all the right things, but dog-gone it, I must be doing something wrong, or else, I would not have this tummy, everything else on me is pretty good, just the dang stomach. Geesh.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Diet is very important. Do not starve yourself and that will not be a good idea. Proper balanced diet should be consumed and visit a dietician to make a diet chart for yourself. Completely stop choclates, ice creams, deep fries, junk food, fast food, fatty food etc.

Take care!
Hi Dr. Vinrod~I agree, starving never works, I would never do that, besides, having hypo-glycemia, I couldn't. I am working on stopping all desserts, starches unless they are of the veggie form, and junk food, beside, they are not healthy anyway. I will also try to increase my exercise as well.

Thanks for your reply.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Keep up the good work, feel motivated and over a period of time with sustained effort you would achieve your goals.

Yes veggie salads, veggie based natural junk food, sugar free products containing fat free and artificial sweeteners can be consumed sometimes.

Take care!
I am 56, 5' 4 3/4" and weigh the following: Sun (141), Tue (135) Wed (135) Thur (134) Fri (131) Sat (133)......etc.  My diet has improved, I eat healthy, my doctor says my thyroid is "normal", I exercise, drink tons of water, no salts, carbs, fatty foods, etc. Yet I look like I'm 6-7 months pregnant. I get between 5-7 hours of sleep and exercise 30 min per day. I do take a very low dose of medicine for epilepsy. I'm on a vegan diet (have been for the past 2 months). The last time that I weighed myself prior to the diet was 135.4 (2 months ago).  As of today I weight 135.4. I have a very low stress level and I avoid sugars. I'm also starting to see some cellulite. My diet: Protein shake w/ fruit every morning and evening. During the day I snack on trail mix (dried cranberries-unsweetened), dried cherries, almonds, walnuts, pecans, etc.) I drink between 1 - 2 gallons of water per day, etc. Folks at work say that I eat like a bird because I never participate in the office potlucks, and just nibble throughout the day on my trail mix.  Sometimes I may even bring an apple or pear to nibble on if I get hungry. I've tried everything, but nothing has worked. My weight has increased and on the days when I don't eat, my weight remains the same. Over the past 2 years I've gained 25 pounds. There's something seriously wrong here. I don't eat wheat either. Any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance.
I remember somebody once saying to me that because muscle develops from deep within your abs, initially it will push the fat layer out and to begin with you will look bigger, but then the fat will go.  A bit like ugly duckling to beautiful swan!  This does make sense to me actually, and I find it quite heartening as I am going through this just now as well, started excercising about 2wks ago, getting trim, tummy protruding a bit...grrr....