Exercise & Fitness Community
Exercising before a fasting blood test?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Exercising before a fasting blood test?

Hi,

I just recently had a fasting blood test. That morning, about 3 hours before the test, I engaged in a 25 minute jog ( 5.5mph, as I do nearly every morning). Unfortunately, no one had informed me that I should abstain from exercise prior to bloodwork like this. So I'm wondering, how would exercise affect my results?

Of particular (though not exclusive) interest are the following:
-> Triglycerides (Total was 39. Normally it's around 50 for me, so this is an obvious improvement.)
-> Glucose (Total was 88. Last test done was 2 years ago, and was 79)
-----> Regarding the glucose: would the amounts be higher (due to the liver releasing sugars into the blood) or lower (due to the body's insulin response)?

I'm 32, 6'0, 220lbs. I have also started juicing a lot lately (over the past month), mostly vegetable juices flavored with apples and a lemon.

My biggest concern is insulin sensitivity: 2 years (and about 15lbs) ago I was diagnosed with flatline hypoglycemia (Results: Fasting: 79; 1hr: 81; 2hr: 71). I've since been working towards improving my insulin sensitivity.

Can I generally trust the result that I received (ie, it's under 99, so I'm OK), or was this blood test way skewed due to the exercise? Should I re-test?
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1236893_tn?1394988190
I would retake the blood work! As it can effect the test!
Blank
1829282_tn?1325595258
I'm confused how exercise can have an affect on a blood test... explain?

I thought this thread was going to be something along the lines of... should I exercise because I haven't eaten anything since the day before... not smart, btw.
Blank
1236893_tn?1394988190
The University of Michigan Health System advises that exercise can result in either an increase or a decrease in blood sugar levels. During exercise, insulin becomes more efficient. This effect can persist, lowering blood sugar levels for hours afterward. An hour of afternoon exercise may lower glucose levels until the next morning, affecting the fasting blood sugar test. Exercise can also affect glucose levels by releasing adrenaline. This raises blood sugar temporarily. Physical exertion or other activities that cause excitement may increase fasting sugar levels if performed shortly before the test.

Blank
Actually, that's how I do it every morning, taking a jog (usually 30 mins to 1 hr) before breakfast. On this particularity morning the run was as normal (a bit slower, actually), and for about 20 minutes. It was approximately 3 hours before the test. (Run ended at 6:45, test took place around 10am.)

Gymdandee
I had read that study as well, but what I wanted to know is, more specifically, approximately how many percentage (or total) points of a drop or rise are we talking about?

I doubt the result were too heavily affected either way (ie, I doubt I'm a diabetic, or even pre-diabetic) so I won't worry too much about it, and remember this for next time. If I find I keep thinking about it I'll pick up a cheap glucose monitor and test myself. No need to have the lab redo the test just for this.
Blank
1236893_tn?1394988190
The percentage points varies to each individual!
Blank
Last time I took a fasting glucose it was 99. Since then I've lost 20 lbs, started exercising, and eating super healthy (lots of fruits, veggies, protein, and healthy fats). And my most recent fasting glucose was 101! How can this be? I exercised about 1.5 hours before the test for an hour and it was very intense weight lifting. I hope the weight lifting is what caused that or else I am going on medication because I am doing everything anyone could do eating and activity wise. :(
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Exercise & Fitness Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...