Exercise & Fitness Community
Fast Heart Beat After Light Exercise

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Fast Heart Beat After Light Exercise

I'm going to be honest... I rarely work out. My job basically has me sitting at my desk all day and I'm 18. Today I was doing push-ups and using a dumb bell and after a few reps my heart was beating quite quickly. Is it normal for my heart to begin beating so rapidly when I'm barely doing anything? Perhaps it is because my heart isn't used to doing a lot, so when I actually attempt to do some sort of exercise, it beats faster due to the fact that it isn't used to it? If so, should my heart become stronger as I become more active? It usually takes like 1-4 minutes for it to get back to normal.

Thanks!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

It is normal to have an elevated heart rate in all individuals who do not exercise.

Go in a slow progressive way and you will acclimatize. It may take couple of weeks so continue exercising.

If you have problems then go to a physician to monitor your vitals like pulse, heart rate and blood pressure.

Take care!
I went to the doctor about a month ago because of a rash and she checked my blood pressure and pulse. She didn't mention anything so I figure it's about right when I'm just sitting down. Would walking a mile a day (outside) be considered a form of exercise?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Sure, as you have been following a sedentary lifestyle, 1mile will also be difficult.

I am sure with slow progressive exercises and cardio over a period of 2-3 weeks your symptoms will decrease and you can increase till 5 miles a day by the next month or two. If you have any discomfort; then follow up with a physician.

Take care!