Exercise & Fitness Community
Fat nodules after intense exercise

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Fat nodules after intense exercise

I’m a 22-year-old male, relatively healthy.

I was recently faced with a condition that got many doctors and surgeons puzzled. My story goes like this:

At the age of about 19 I started working out in gym.

I started to experience severe swelling in my right eye and after many visits to the hospital, I was diagnosed with "Recurring Orbital Psuedo Tumor" . So after long periods of high steroid dosages, the problem is finally gone and out of my life. (Besides for the fact that I have this permanent cavity behind my right eye where the tumor use to be causing my eye to pull inward and making me look like someone who hasn’t slept for weeks)

Life goes on and I continue working out as normal. Normally when working out, my muscles would take a day or two to recover while being slightly sore and stiff, until one day when I was training my abs, it took me literally TWO WEEKS to recover. The normal stiffness and pains after exercising was much more intense and prolonged. After the prolonged stiffness eventually disappeared, I started feeling marble like nodules all over my abdomen area as well as chest arms and back area. The nodules were situated in between my skin and muscles and what’s strange is, it only appeared in areas where there are muscles, which I train often, such as my biceps, deltoids, chest, lats and abs.

At first it wasn’t sore, but then it started to grow bigger and some even started turning blue, looking like it was bruised. Doctors at first thought it was blood and decided to monitor it. The nodules in my abdomen grew at an alarming rate while the ones on the rest of my upper body was not growing much. I then went for a biopsy and it turned out to be DEAD FAT.

At the same time my white blood cell count was a bit low. I was always feeling overtired. I couldn’t eat properly, had no appetite. I couldn’t sleep because I was getting cold night sweats every single night for about a month or more.

A few months down the line and my blood seems normal again. I’m eating well, sleeping well and feel good. The fat nodules seems to have disappeared, BUT LEAVING CAVITIES IN AREAS WHERE THERE WERE BIG NODULES, ALMOST AS THOUGH SOME OF MY MUSCLE TISSUE DISAPPEARED ALONG WITH THE FAT.

When all was well again, I started cycling again. After a few weeks of intense cycling, I EXPERIENCED THE SAME FAT NODULES ALL OVER MY LEGS. Marble like masses in between the skin and muscle. I stop cycling and it goes away after a few months, also leaving slight cavities. Its like you can almost see the dents in my legs where the nodules use to be.

Since then I have been doing no exercise at all and have not experienced any more fat nodules.

Extra info -

I was studying in my final year of study when the symptoms first started.
I was living in a stressful environment at home.
I have always been a competitive cyclist.
I quit smoking for 2 years before the symptoms started.
I have been using a wide range of nutrition supplements for muscle building etc.
I started recovering from the moment I decided to stop studying further for my honors diploma.
I stayed home for a year and recovered fully with no medication.

Please help me find out what has caused all of this. I will answer any additional questions you might have.