Exercise & Fitness Community
Feel very uncomfortable unless I sweat
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Feel very uncomfortable unless I sweat

My body feels very uncomfortable unless I've had a good sweat. If I don't sweat, I feel achy and my skin hurts, just as they do before getting the flu. When I sweat, the aches disappear, I feel clear headed, awake, energized and the endorphins kick in, so I go to great lengths to ensure sweating happens by wearing multiple layers of clothes (7 layers, including a plastic jacket and one thick fleece) when I exersize. If I don't wear multiple layers then I won't sweat. On my days off from excersizing, I must sit in a sauna or steam room.  I've had this feeling for at least 12 years. I'm 42, 5'6" 120 lbs. Body temp 97. I am not trying to lose weight. I have been a runner for 23 years (3- 5 miles 5 days a week). I used to run in the summer heat back in the midwest, no need for multiple layers there.  Now I live in the San Francisco Bay Area where it is always cold. I eat well and drink tons of water throughout the day (3 quarts to a gallon). No one I know can relate. No one I know gets what I'm talking about. Has anyone else experienced this?  Is this a disorder of some kind? Or has my body just become accustomed to sweating, so I need it daily? Or has my body just not adapted to the cold temperatures in the Bay Area? One positive thing about this sweating addiction I have is that I don't get sick, ever.  On the rare occasions that I do feel something coming on, I'll go for a run, and the cold/flu never sets in. But, if I don't sweat for two days in a row, I will get sick. Thanks for any information or advice.