Exercise & Fitness Community
Fitness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Fitness

Hey Everyone!
I am 44 year old, single parent, and am looking to get back into shape. I have a decent diet, but recently I gave up wheat products all together and started this new Paleo (caveman) diet. I find it difficult to exercise and no longer have energy for basic activities. Can anyone tell me what to do?
-Linda
It's good that you gave up wheat! The Paleo diet is good! You should consume complex carb. and only whole grains! Make sure it states whole grains!! and remember no wheat what ever!!

The Peak 8 routine it will quickly raise your heart rate 8 times for very short bursts, with a cooling down period in between. Ideally you’ll be sprinting or cycling full throttle for 30 seconds with a 90 second cool down in between each outburst. 

This is the fastest way to lose fat and build muscle in the body. Peak 8 actually stimulates the growth hormone in the body. I encourage you to visit Dr Mercola’s site to learn more about Peak 8 fitness because I personally feel that it is one of the best ways to exercise, especially considering the speed at which you can lose fat and build muscle. 

I highly recommend you read this article and watch the videos on the page. It will give you all the information you need to know about Peak 8 – Flood Your Body With This “Youth Hormone” In Just 20 Minutes 
What you eat after Peak 8 training does matter 
It’s recommended that you do not eat sugar or carbohydrate for 2 hours after the Peak 8 exercise because these foods can impact the release of the growth hormone in the body.  The link is below 

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2010/11/13/phil-campbell-on-peak-8-exercises.aspx 

Figure your heart rate by this formula 
220- your age that would be 220 - 44 = 176 that's your maximum heart rate
you want to get your HR between 65% and 85% of your maximum that would be 114 for 65% and 149 for 85%. I suggest buying a heart rate monitor and try keeping your HR between 114 and 149 when doing the peak 8.
You burn 30 percent more fat from doing cardio after a weights session as opposed to cardio on its own.
WHEAT!!!

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505269_162-57505149/modern-wheat-a-perfect-chronic-poison-doctor-says/
Don't be thinking about surgery!!
First, I am a huge fan of paleo but you need to be sure you are doing it right.  Being over tired while on paleo is usually a sign that you aren't getting enough carbs.  Track your diet for a weeks and make sure you are getting enough (you will have to do some research to see where you should be at).  If you are coming up short try adding in quinoa and/or sweet potatoes.

Second, make sure you are getting enough good fats.  Avocado and nuts > bacon. :)

Third, I know it sounds obvious, but make sure you are getting the right amount of sleep for you.  Too much or too little can really screw with you.

If you are having energy issues when you exercise try eating something small an hour before you start to stabilize your blood sugar.  I eat a handful of almonds and a half cup of coffee (a bit of caffeine also helps) and I get a better workout without feeling exhausted or shaky.

I agree with gymdandee, though I haven't heard of "Peak 8" specifically I am a huge fan of intervals.  I do mine on the elliptical on level 10, 30 seconds as fast as I can, then 90 seconds at an easy walking pace.  I would also recommend serious lifting 3 days a week (by serious I mean take the time to figure out what the most effective lifts are and do them, don't just screw around with it).  It is best if you can do intervals after lifting, but if you are like me, there will be days, especially if you focus on legs in one session, that you will just be too exhausted.  

Good luck, you can do it!