Exercise & Fitness Community
Flu-like symptoms after exercise

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Viewing 201-281 comments:
I get the same thing although it hasn't happened in a while. I had stopped taking my multi vitamins, b12, iron tablets and glutimine for a couple of weeks when it came back. I done a spin class and my glands swole up for two days. I had an afternoon nap and woke up bright as a button. I done weights the following day and woke up with an aching throat the following day. I do feel it must be a deficiancy in something. Hopefully now that I'm taking my vitamins etc again I'll be ok. Plus I'm looking to get more sleep in and recovery time.
  I wasn't going to post anything but after I read your I had to respond.  It's funny bc I have had EBV (mono) and am sick and tired of being sick and tired.  After the FLU portion I got this huge fatigue for about a month where I couldn't walk from the couch to the bathroom w.o shaking.  I lived onthe couch for that month.  Point being is that I re-experience the flu-ish fatigue sickness feeling whenever I get tired.  That can be walking to far in the parking lot on a bad day or overdoing it on a good day.   The best I felt was after my stres test on the treadmill but flu feeling afterwards was terrible.
I am 5 months into this illness and on the mend but it sounds to me like alot of the folks here have EBV.   I did take L-lysine, one tablet from a bottle I bought OTC at Walmart and felt wonderful for about an hour and then sick skin crawling icky for about 6 hours. After that the flu feeling has diminished.  I am chicken to take more, was afraid I was getting sick again. I think it killed off alot of the residual virus and then I got sick from die-off effect.  I find eating beets, a few daily makes me feel better.  I feel like a loon posting this but I have tried so many thing and these two helped me so I thought I'd share.  Praying for the day I can return to my former health.  I am 48.
Hi there, sorry you are feeling so bad, but I know exactly how you are feeling.  I hate to say this chaps, but I don't think it is a deficiency. I think all of us here started out as healthy, fit people thats the problem. Since my last post I have done loads of research, and it looks as if it is an immune system dysfunction, quite often brought on by a virus especially EVB. We probably had great immune systems, maybe a little on the extra strong side. Anyway to cut a long story short, Mark above was on the right lines. They believe that the immune system becomes unbalanced. Ie it either overreacts or underacts. Mostly it doesn't know have to switch off, and therefore acts as if it is fighting something all the time. Exercise exaggerates this problem. And the immune system reacts to the exercise.

here is a tiny extract I found...

Exercise Study Reveals Strange Immune Response to Exercise

Exercise Effects on Biomarkers in GWI, CFS and Healthy Controls. Barnes, Sol, Seng, Fletcher and Klimas

Nancy Klimas and Mary Fletcher always do nice tight studies, which is one reason they’re able to get NIH grants. In this exercise study they looked at a variety of immune factors in both CFS and Gulf War Illness (GWI).

They found that the cytokine levels went up significantly after exercise in the healthy controls but didn’t nudge at all in the CFS patients! It was really odd, as well, to see, neuropeptide Y, which is involved in autonomic nervous system regulation and is associated with emotions such as irritation and anger, shoot up in the healthy controls but not nudge at all in the CFS patients!

This is a ‘negative result’ that may really say something. Instead of over-responding to exercise the CFS patient’s immune systems basically stayed inert - suggesting that there is a normal and quite robust immune response to exercise that people with CFS don’t exhibit. This perhaps gets back to the weird ‘network’ effects shown in the Broderick studies where stress (exercise) triggers an odd immune response. This study reinforced the idea that something is ‘off’ in the immune systems of CFS patients.

and then this....

“It is likely that an initial viral infection or stress acting singly or in combination leads to a state of impaired cellular immunity, immune memory dysfunction and disturbed NK cell activity. This promotes reactivation of apreviously acquired EBV or other virus infection and wide spreading of the original viral infection. EBV and other viral proteins stimulate the release of pro-inflammatory cytokines which contribute to fatigue, low grade fever, aching, disturbance of sleep and inactivity. The severity and prolonged nature of these symptoms encourages further stress leading to continued immune paresis and production of immune dysregulating viral proteins.”

eek!
I had a persistent and extremely dry throat at night for almost a year during which time I was lifting weights - it disappeared during a holiday when I wasn't exercising but came back even worse when I started lifting again, and started skipping, and this time I had a blocked nose as well. Cutting out all dairy products I was eating and drinking, ending my use of whey protein supplements, which don't seem really necessary anyway, seemed to do the trick - I had no dairy for over a month and have started to have small amounts here and there to see how much I can have without it triggering the effect.
I've been out of the workout loop for about a year!  Started back up last Saturday!  On Tuesday I met with trainer and worked legs w/cardio - on Wednesday got sick to stomach (went away by night time, but was exhausted and slept for 10+ hours straight) - woke up Thursday as if nothing ever happened!  Thursday evening, met up with trainer and worked arms and chest w/cardio - I am so sick to stomach after ate lunch!  I've tried to read most of the comments posted - and thought I was crazy for googling 'sick day after working out' - but I'm not!  Gonna keep pounding the waters, only do cardio this weekend - meet up w/trainer on Tuesday - going to tell him the symptoms I'm having after workout.  Didn't think I was that out of shape - but it has been some time since I've done such a serious workout!
I believe it is an immune problem combined with the toxins released after muscle fatigue. I hate to say it, but maybe there are some of us who can't work out as hard as others. Our immune systems are not as strong. I also believe that stretching out the body helps to release the toxins that cause pain. I just think it is a matter of eating healthy, stretching and listening to our bodies if we are over working ourselves. I believe if we progress very slowly,we can adjust our bodies to where they are comfortable.
Lyme Disease is a possibility.

I was a martial artist for years. For no apparent reason I started getting very hot after training and had problems sleeping. Things became progressively worse over time,  after a strenuous workout I would feel weak tired and feverish for several days. Over the years it was a downhill slide; face rashes,many more bouts of fatigue and fever, cold sweats and if my head became cold from water or wind I would become sick. Five years after my first attack my ears started ringing loudly, then a few months later my legs became stiff and sore, with numbness and tingling. I was diagnosed with Lyme disease( from a tick bite in 2005). I am being treated now and feel better than I have in years as my symptoms disappear.

If you live in Canada do not put any faith in the results of the Canadian Lyme Disease test, I received a false negative( as have many others) but was lucky to have a specialist who put no credence in the result. Get a clinical diagnosis or a  U.S. Lyme test.  Lyme disease is difficult to diagnose and test results can be open to interpretation. The problem is if you don't get the indicative rash after a tick bite, you must to wait until several symptoms manifest. In my case I was first told I had MS, then auto immune problems, then heavy metal poisoning. I was very lucky that I eventually found a Canadian specialist, who  had seen several cases of Lyme while working in Tennessee. Most Canadian doctors are completely clueless when it comes to diagnosing Lyme and many still don't believe there is Lyme disease in Canada.
I have been having very similar issues for over 10 years and have been to every specialist that I can think of and not one of them has even a suggestion as to what may be causing this.  Because it is apparent that every time I do an intense exercise at the gym that I am going to come down with the symptoms, I finally found this forum and was shocked at how many  other people suffer from this. My symptoms...extreme sleepiness, fatigue, nausea, aching all over and feeling just like I have a mild case of the flu.  It isn't alway occuring after exercise, but if it's intense exercise....I can pretty much count on it.  I just found this site tonight after feeling total frustration.  One thing different about my illness is it last anywhere from 2 to 6 days I have at times been practically bed ridden for over 4 days. Most of the comments I read seemed to have fewer days than I typically experience.  I have forwarded the comments from this forum to all my family members who ( I think)  think I have been making this up all these years.  Thank you!!!!
Hi All

I am excited because after 4 years of frustation over this flu like symptoms after exercise, I have been diagnosed with celiacs disease.

I did not have any of the typical symptoms, just the same as everyone on this forum. The test is a simple blood test which tells you you have celiacs or not. It is easy to do and may be your problem too. All of the symptoms reported here are part of celiacs symptoms.

What happens is that your body sees Gluten (a protein in wheat and some other grains) as a poison and the immune system responds. For most of us who eat a typical western diet, this means we are in a constant state of immune response to inflammation. Exercise adds to this and takes your body into a protection mode where it creates fatigue to stop you from doing more.

Celiacs can start in mid life, or more likely have been a low level problem that increases in severity as we age. Over many years, the small intestine becomes damaged and cannot absorb nutrients effectively and this adds to the fatigue.

The good news is that for people with this condition, they feel better after about 3 days without gluten, but take 3 to 6 months to get back to full health as the small intestine heals. There is loads of stuff on celiacs on google.

In an earlier post, I described the drugs my specialist had given me. He is the same person who has now found the celiacs and is confident that I will make a full recovery in a matter of weeks. there will be no need for ongoing medication.

Like most of you here, i have been a lifelong competitive sportsman. I am now 50 and have been very frustrated that I have had to stop cycle racing. I will post again in a few weeks to let you know if this diagnosis has cleared the problem in full.

Good luck!!

Mark B
Hi all.
I have just found this forum
Congratulations re high level cognition.
To all flue like symptoms post exercise i add atrial fibrillation.
NSAID med poisoned  my system insiduouly for years. (elevated ALT, low kidney filtration leading to chills and sepsis, non specific low iron)
I plead guilty to long seat periods
I am following digestive trail of starch and a digestve enzyme shortage thereoff, where starchy food feeds a colony of some detrimental organism triggering immune response. Such notion is postulated in ankylosing spondylitis threads (am afffected)http://www.kickas.org/asfood.shtml
My GP is now checking for pre diabetes.
Wow, I am so relieved to find out I'm not the only one suffering from this, whatever the hell it is.

My CFS (if that's what it is) was brought on by EBV but symptoms have continued for 18 months. In short, I'm tired all the time and whenever I exercise I get flu-like symptoms, including fever, tight chest, swollen glands and sore throat.
I am so fed-up with getting sick & doctors don't seem able to help. I am of average weight and height and was fairly fit before this happened. I find it immensely frustrating to take it slowly in getting fit again but i will give your doctors recommendation a try & go ultra slow. I'm willing to try anything at this point!

I found the cytokines - inflammatory link very interesting.
So i've been following this blog for a while and made my own forum but then got hammered by bots. Just pruned and set up some crazy good bot protection on it.
I'd like to get more users on here so we can really start finding out things and have it a bit more structured.
http://flulikesymptomsafterexercise.info/
We have to beat this, its driving me insane.
[url]http://flulikesymptomsafterexercise.info/[/url]
Sorry just making it a link
humm i can't believe it :(

Just for clarity
Hi I have been suffering with the same symptoms, dr kept dismissing me, I knew something was wrong, I'd work out at the gym come home and go to sleep, wake up tired even after hours of sleep, body chills, always hungry. I did a stool test thru a private company, seems I had H pylori and parasites in my stomach, on the road to recovering after eradicating the H pylori, did a total body cleanse for the liver, gall, kidney and parasite cleanse, along with a couple of colonics just for good measure to wash the parasites away, I can feel my energy levels rising, and it's early days still. Hope this helps somebody
Try yoga, it detoxifies your body and cleans your glands.  My symptoms went away when i did as well as my tendonitis.
I had chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) during 2006 and 2007, had Epstein-Barr virus (EBV/mononucleosis) in 2004.

I am better today (thanks to pacing, sleep regime, antidepressants, stress reduction methods, cut off alcohol, tobacco, etc.) but still have residual symptoms.

I sleep poorly and have post-exercise malaise. Searching for post-exercise malaise gives a number of results mostly revolving around CFS issues, but as I am much better these days I feel that this is an issue separate from CFS or residual due to unresolved immune issues.

As of 2010 I am studying biology and medicine on a bachelor level and have the privilege to discuss this matter with professors working in this and similar areas.

EBV is a double stranded DNA virus, that seems to have a permanent effect on the immune system. For example, it seems that human lymphocytes cease to express interleukin-15 receptors after mononucleosis.

Interleukin 15 is involved in several immune system activities, for example it seems to be active in the maturation of Natural Killer Cells (NK cells, see here http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21715685 ).

NK Cells are a kind of lymphocyte, which is a kind of white blood cell involved in the defence against virus-infected cells and intracellular pathogens.  

It is uncertain as to how the lack of IL-15 receptor affects the immune system, but shows that EBV infection does have some profound effects on how the immune system and more, and it does not take a far stretch of imagination to see how decreased maturation of NK cells leads to a weakened response to further, reccurring EBV episodes, or even persistent infections with the bacteria chlamydophila pneumoniae, as chlamydophila pneumoniae is an intracellular pathogen as well.

Several antidepressants seem to improve NK cell activity, possibly because they change the expression patterns of several interleukins, which  are the main regulators of immune system activity. This could be a likely explanation to why the tricyclic antidepressant amitriptyline seems to help a lot of CFS sufferers.

Some studies have shown that moderate exercise have beneficial effects on immune system activity, as long as one does not exercise to exhaustion.

There is some research going on in this area, but not as much as needed, by raising this question you could help the lives of not only yourselves but all others in similar positions.

So, to sum up, post-exercise flu symptoms, immune dysfunction, depression, EBV infection and CFS symptoms seem to go hand in hand, and there is some research that backs up the theory that it is due to that the immune system goes avry.
Oh, and by the way, this might be a bit of a long stretch but passion flower (passiflora incarnata) seems to share some of the NK cell modulating properties as other serotonin-modulating drugs such as amitriptyline.
Passion flower capsules can be purchased in some health stores or online, for example on ebay.

My personal experience is that they give similar relief of the symptoms as prescription medicines.
I was both sad and glad to find this site - sad that so many other people suffer from the same annoying problem, but also glad that I'm not going mad and I'm not just imagining this.  I got a horrible viral illness (parotitis, viral, not bacterial) 3 years ago which landed me in hospital for 10 days, hooked up to intravenous antibiotics the whole time, fevers of 39C, chills, the works.  That was March/April and by December I was only just starting to feel normal again.  Since then, I've tried repeatedly to get back to gym and have had the same thing - feel great after the workout, but wake up a day or 2 later with a sore scratchy throat, sniffles, tired.  This happened every singe time, which was really frustrating, as before I got ill I was quite fit.  And the scratchy throat and sniffles never actually progressed to a full-on cold or the flu.  I've tried all sorts of vitamin supplements, anti-oxidants, pro-biotics, visited naturopaths, dieticians, you name it, but nothing worked. The last year, I've also had the same thing happen after I have a glass or two (and I do mean a glass or two, not the whole bottle!) of wine - wake up the next day with scratchy throat, sniffles etc.  A few weeks ago, I finally got totally fed up and went to see a doctor of Chinese medicine, who also practices acupuncture.  Gave him the whole story, he asked a gazillion questions, and said it sounded like my liver was congested and not working as efficiently as it could and that my immune system was still stressed.  He suggested that, rather than trying to flog it at gym, to get out 2-3 times a day for 10 minute walks, and just build up slowly, and that if I must go to gym, just do my normal walking pace on the treadmill, not cane it, and do light weights.  I've had 4 lots of acupuncture with him, working on the points to help stimulate the liver (works on blood production) ,and he gave me some herbal tablets to take for the first two weeks, then started me on a raw herb concoction that I have to brew up, and drink two cups of this a day.  I was a tad sceptical, but after going so long with not being able to exercise properly, I thought why not.  I did notice a difference after the tablets, and I noticed a bigger improvement after I started the herbal brew.  I've been taking this for 4 weeks now (am brewing up another pot as I type), and I have noticed a definite improvement in my energy levels, my sleep (a sluggish liver can cause sleep disturbances) and - the best part! - I've started taking a boxing class two mornings a week before work.  It's a reasonably high-intensity workout, and so far, no problems at all - other than tired ouchy muscles afterwards!  I bought myself a pedometer, with a view to getting out of the office for walks and to get my daily step count up to 10,000 steps, and I have to say that the walks have definitely helped - I feel like I've got more energy, and I've started to trim down.  I've also been able to go back to gym, doing slightly faster than my normal walking pace on the treadmill, light weights and stretching, and have not woken up with cold/flu symptoms. I can't tell you how much of a relief it's been. I've also had this constant, very annoying drippy nose for the past few years - apparently, when my doc looked at my tongue, it showed as slightly "damp", which is caused by too much cold.  He suggested instead of having cold foods and drinks, to have lukewarm, or warm water (rather than cold from the tap or chilled water dispenser), hot beverages (like green tea, tea,even coffee is allowable) let things like salads come up to room temperature,and include "warming" foods like ginger and chili.  I've done this also, and it's made a huge difference. Of course I can't promise that any of this will work for you, but if you've tried a bunch of different things and had no luck, then perhaps look up a doctor of Chinese medicine and at least have a chat to them. I know it's made a huge difference to me.  I really hope that you all find something that helps.
After very strenuous work or vigorous exercise i to have flu/cold like symptoms , which would set me back. After reading all post i tried probiotic yoga which had no effect, and then i tried hi dose vitamin c which has sort the problem out. I can now visit the gym cycle hard on the bike and do a lot of work without flu/cold symptoms which had set me back in the past
I’m no expert  but i guess exercise hits the immune system and that where the vitamin c come in boosting immune system and help iron absorption  into the body.
All of the above recommendations relate to an immune response. The most likely prolonged immune response is to an allergy. Recent research shows that 1 in 2 people have a gluten intolerance. It took me 4 years to find this and during this time I went from being a race winning athlete to a sick couch potato. 3 months without gluten and I am totally fixed. You need to be strict and disciplined to do this and this may not be your problem, but if 1 in 2 people are gluten intolerant, then its worth a try. If you eliminate gluten from your diet, you will start to feel better in 3 days. There is lots of info on the web to help you do this.

Now, listen to me!!! You have all read tons of stuff and not got results. I have been through the same problems and I am back to normal and exercising every day again after 4 years of suffering. So, do yourself a favour. Ignore all the other ******** and cut gluten out of your diet for a month and see what happens. Good luck:)
I´m so relieved to discover it isn´t just me. I have exercised all my life but lately I have been getting flu like symptoms after exercising on the treadmill and in the pool. I do believe it is something to do with the immune system and I will start taking regular vitamin C and B100. If that doesn´t work I will try the other hints in this thread. Appreciate all the helpful and constructive advice here.
Hi people,

I had this problem and after a LOT of research, I have massively reduced it. Basically, my conclusions are as follows:

1/
- Cortisol (a natural hormone) can go up in the body after exercise under certain circumstance. High levels of cortisol can suppress your immune system and allow you to get sick, can make you feel stressed and have difficulty sleeping and can make you feel generally un-well.
- Cortisol is released in larger quantities when the blood sugar level gets too low.
- The way to reduce cortisol levels is therefore to EAT BEFORE THE WORKOUT to ensure that your body has plenty of energy, AND AGAIN SOON AFTERWARDS to ensure it has plenty afterwards. Then make sure to snack every 3 hours of waking to prevent blood your sugar level dropping too low (it usually dips about 2-3 hours after eating).
- This seems to improve my recovery significantly. It also reduces my stress levels for the following days.
2/
- When the body gets hot, histamine levels go up. I notice that I am always burning hot in bed after a heavy workout and would make up with a nose/throat irritation.  
- Try popping a single anti-hystamine tablet before bed after the work out. I use Certizine. It is best to use the minimum so experiment with what works for you. I only need to do this once, on the night after the work out.
I hope this helps.
3/
- I have tried almost all the other solutions proposed above and believe them all to be placebos at best. As exercise training mantra goes: Eat right, sleep right, train right (in that order of importance!). Sleeping is helped by the anti-hystamine.

Good luck.
Just to add my two cents.   I have been a competitive runner since 1977.  In the eighties after winning a race I would not be able to do anything for a few days.   My trainer said it was my nutrition.   In 1999 I started sweating profusely.  Doc diagnosed menopause.   In 2001 I became a spinning/body pump instructor and personal trainer.   My fatigue got worse and worse.   I was able to work hard in the mornings but then go back to bed.  

THEN after losing weight and being diagnosed with depression and then, when antidepressants did not help, being told to go to counseling I saw another doc.  DIAGNOSED WITH HEPATITIS C IN JULY 2011, STAGE 2 FIBROSIS, GRADE 3 INFLAMATION (inflammation), VIRAL LOAD 2.8 MILLION.   It is slow growing and often shows no symptoms until you get end stage liver failure or liver cancer.  
I went on a clinical trial.
Shortest treatment in history...3 months.  Treatment and side effects tough.   Long story short.   I feel better and have more energy than I have had for years.  

I'm 21 and live in South Africa. I've been fit my whole life. I have been experiencing these flu like symptoms the last 3 years.  I've been sick from 1 day to a week after weight training.  Common symptoms for me are: Sore throat, fever, cold sores, running nose etc.  It's not always the same but there are always some kind of sickness popping out a couple of hours after exercise.

I have found a solution that is starting to work for me. I changed my diet completely according to my blood type.  I'm blood type O and I'm not allowed to eat wheat, dairy etc.  I've been following the diet for more than a week and it has reduced my flu like symptoms a lot. I have more energy than ever and I feel great. I also take multivitamins, omega 3, Viral Guard and probiotics. I also shower directly after exercise, I've noticed that the sweat on your body for a long period of time after exercise can worsen the symptoms while you are sick.

I got the diet from a book called 'Eat Right For Your Blood Type' by Dr. Peter J.D' Adamo. According to him, a chemical reaction occurs between your blood and the foods you eat. This reaction is part of your genetic inheritance. This reaction is caused by a factor called Lectins. Lectins, abundant and diverse proteins found in foods, have agglutinating properties that affect your blood. So when you eat a food containing protein lectins that are incompatible with your blood type antigen, the lectins target an organ or bodily system and begin to agglutinate blood cells in that area.  Our immune systems may be off because we don't eat the right food. I'm not advertising this book at all. You don't even have to buy the book, just google 'eat right for your blood type food chart' and check out for a website that has a food chart to follow for your blood type.

They say you should follow it for at least 2 weeks to know if it works for you. If you try it, please let us know your experience. I'll keep you guys updated.
I began to suffer flu like symptons around 50 years of age.  I had been a very active and fit person until suddenly I noticed that I would become sick after hard exercise and would not recover for weeks.  At first I thought it was just your run of the mill cold that had not completely left the body until this cycle repeated over and over.  It began to affect my work, my happiness, my life entirely.  I became depressed and less active.  I gained weight, had a poor outlook on life and generaly went from a happy and healthy person to someone who couldn't wait to get home from whatever I was doing and go to bed.  I tried all the things mentioned here with no long lasting success. II am now 55 years old and the last five years have been hell, seemingly lost years in some way.  I felt hopeless but had not given up. Finally, I decided to try bee pollen which I purchased online from a well known mfgr.  I have been using it now, as directed, for about three weeks and the results have been phenomenal.   I can put in a full days work without been exhausted.  I no longer wake up in the middle of the night, anxious and unable to get back to sleep.  I can exercise vigorously again without feeling sick.  My attitude has improved and my outlook for the future is also brighter.  Although I cannot say with certainty that bee pollen is the answer (time will tell) I do feel as though I am on the right track.  I hope this post reaches those who have not yet tried bee poolen and wish you well.  I know how debilitating this syndrome is and wish you all the best,
Thank you for sharing your story.  I understand exactly what you've(and everyone else on this form) been going through. We WILL beat this.

Gongratz on finding a solution that works for you. I bought me some bee pollen(granules) today.  Very excited to try it.  What dosage do you recommend and how long did it take before you noticed a difference?
I am taking NATUREBEE Potentiated Pollen 500 mg capsule. I am currently taking two capsules in the morning (as directed) and I take one more late afternoon.  My stamina increased noticeably in the first week and it has remained strong now as I complete three weeks.  My attitude is getting better, my outlook has improved, I have only average aches and pains for a person my age unlike before when I felt like a 100 year old man.
I sleep better and I look forward to doing things now without worrying about running out of steam half way through.  I also take fish oils, vitamin D and 100mg Qunol (liquid CoQ10) every day but I must tell you that I was taking all of these before the bee pollen and I did notice any improvement (although these supplements may have been helping my body in other ways).  I really believe the bee pollen is the key to my improvement.  Of course, I am still reluctant to declare victory until months have passed and I remain in good health.  I will keep you posted.  Good luck to you.  I hope the bee pollen helps you.  I know how difficult this syndrome is.
Please read this link. Some of the symptoms are very much like what people are describing here. And it is also linked to food intolerance including wheat products (there have been a few posts re celiacs) but specifically related to histamine intolerance. There have also been a few posts about taking ant-histamine after exercise. I have had all these symptoms but noticed that mine were related to exercise and alcohol consumption (in particular red wine).

http://www.histamineintolerance.org.uk/

I cut out wheat products (wheat triggers histamine when it is ingested) and felt much better but not quite right. Am now going to follow this and, fingers crossed, see what happens.

There are also links to medical white papers on the site.
Just a follow-up on my earlier post.  I have also started taking vitamin C tablets every day (on a break from the herbal brews), and so far, so good.  No cold/flu symptoms, and I've managed to step up the intensity of my workouts at gym without suffering for it (apart from feeling knackered afterwards!).  I'm also gluten intolerant, and have noticed that when I do have gluten I feel off for a couple of days afterwards.  Seems like the vitamin C supplement is also a winner.
hiya all , I suffer some similar symptoms In the evening after playing football which I have played twice a week for the last 20 years from the age of 14ish I feel  like I have flu, I am  weak , get head aches and shivers but the next day I am fine again.This has gone on for as long as I can remember Although In my line of work I am always on the go and I was always ok after this until just lately I have started to have these symptoms when I finish work also..... Anyone know what could causing this. Thanks in advance
I feel for everyone here, so I would like to share my story in the hopes that it will help. I have been battling similar symptoms for a year. I was a college runner who ended up in the hospital after a night of two much drinking. After that, every time I drank I would get flu like symptoms for 2-3 days. Soon I was sick ALL the time and would get worse after trying to exercise or drink. I developed extreme brain fog, mood swings, panic attacks, seizures, fatigue, and digestive problems. It got to the point where I couldn't even run a mile without getting severely sick for 2-3 days afterwards (Not long before I was running 6-8 miles a day). Worsening symptoms began 2-3 hours after working out. I have went to several doctors and no one found anything wrong with me, the only thing that was ever abnormal was my CPK levels, which were elevated even though I had not worked out in weeks. I have been on the up and up and here is what I did:

1. My doctor diagnosed me with having candida and put me on Nystatin (an anti-fungal) and a Probiotic regiment for 3 months.
2. Was tested for food sensitivities and found out I was sensitive to wheat, milk, corn, potatoes, soy, and glycerin (found in many household cosmetic products and nutritional supplements). I cut these items out of my life.
3. Began low stress exercises like yoga and cycling. I found I could do long workouts such as these without developing symptoms.
4. Took a natural multivitamin and b-complex. Both really helped with my energy.
5. Exercise in the morning. I have found that body responds better to exercise when I'm well rested.
6. Started eating better. I Buy organic and whole foods and cook for myself every meal.
7. Keep a positive outlook. This might seem silly but hear me out. This disorder caused me a lot of emotional pain and in turn, physical stress. Lowering stress levels can go a long way in helping your body function as it is supposed to.

6 months after trying these things I am a functioning person again. I can get through my day normally again and can even do more intense workouts like running and swimming fr short periods of time. My tolerance is improving though everyday. Basically all my symptoms have cleared up, except I still get a bit out of it if I push myself too hard. I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, the important thing for you if you are suffering from the same thing is be patient and listen to your body. Know how the symptoms make you feel and know when to stop pushing yourself when you are feeling them. It's better to build slowly than to burn out.

I'm still researching this all the time and will update again if I find anything. I am going to try taking acetyl-L-carnitine, as I have read a lot about this supplements ability to help with neural and muscular health and its ability to help with post workout recovery. Good luck everyone!

Mark B,

So happy you found a cure and are in better shape.  Thanks for the explanation.  I've been getting flu like symptoms after jogging 3 miles (5 days a week), but not the inflammation, etc.  Glad to know there is hope.
Ive have got ot tell you that this was the best site I could run into after getting the same symptoms that everyone else has on this site.  This site completely helped me figure out why my body was getting flu like symptoms and I fixed it.  First of all I have to tell you that I am a super active person that loves to run ride bikes, xcski race, paddle, ride horses.  I do this stuff on a daily basis. Ive been in real good physical shape for several years now.  I also eat very a very healthy mostly whole food diet. I started getting these awful symptoms after relocating.  I could run with no problems, but when using muscles strenght for xcskiing, or paddling, or just lifting a lot, I was getting so sick for about 4 to 5 days at a time. I couldnt not function, let alone go to work or school.
After reading everything on this site and hearing about a build up of toxins in my body can cause this.  What I realized is that I moved next to Cherry farms.  They spray chemicals on the cherry feilds daily. Not only was I running and riding my horse through them daily, I was also drinking the well water out of my sink. well, long story short, I moved, and a couple weeks later I tried yet again to get a hard work out in and was scared that I would be sick.  But I wasnt : ), Im back to normal. And its been three months now that Im free of symptoms.  This is such a relief for me, you have no idea!  I hope it can help someone else. btw I also stopped running the hilly powerlines that I ran a lot because Ive heard that they throw out a lot of toxins too.
Hello, greetings from Sweden,

I've been having these problems for years and cannot understand why, but I think stress is invloved somehow. During my summer vacation I stopped doing gym and started a rather strenuous power-walking scheme. No problem there, some fatigue  of course but not feeling sick. Two days ago I went to the gym just to try it out a little. I need to go there becoz I also have some back problems. Yesterday the response was back like a punch in the face! Now I feel like crap. I'm thinking about maybe the problem can be related to not doing warm-ups. I'm gonna try walking to the gym (50min), and then do a little weightlifting.

just might work! cheers/R
After trying a lot of methods mentioned here I have finally found my solution.

Thanks to markb398's post a couple of months ago I decided to cut out gluten and dairy products.  It's been a month and I feel great again. I can even push myself in the gym for the first time in 3 years without getting sick. Before if I did as little as 15min cardio or weightlifting I got sick(flu like symptoms, sore throat, mouth ulcers, extreme fatigue etc), now it's all gone.

If you haven't tried this, you MUST give it a try.  Be strict and try it for 2 weeks and see how you feel.

I wish you all the best. Hang in there!!
My history with this is I have severe asthma with long term steroid use resulting in adrenal insufficiency/HPA axis suppression and an adrenal crisis. The adrenal suppression manifests as illness after exercise. I get sick all the time and have been unable to maintain an exercise routine. Right now my cortisol levels are normal, but I suspect that I still don't have the full spectrum of functionality in my HPA axis. (To clarify, this flu after exercise pattern started when my cortisol was low and has not improved even as my cortisol levels have risen.) I've also had mono in the past, since that has come up in the thread here.

I am continuing to look for solutions. Some things that have helped me...

Vitamin D3
Zinc
High Dose C

If I take these when I get 'sick' after exercise it often clears up the symptoms within an hour. In an effort to prevent problems in the first place, I started taking these vitamins daily and it has worked quite well. Although I can still outpace it with a hard workout--as I've learned this week.

Other things I've tried that didn't work...paying thousands of dollars for alternative medicine that included IV nutrition therapy (Meyer's Cocktails) and lots of expensive vitamins from the clinic that did the IVs.

I think the trick is to try things and see which ones work for you. It doesn't have to be expensive.
Forgot to mention...

Someone talked about how exercise increases cortisol...that's not quite how I understand it.

Exercise increases demand for cortisol. My experience has been that if your body can't produce enough cortisol you will become sick and end up sleeping against your will after exercise.

If you have persistent issues with fatigue and illness after stress such as exercise, it might be a good idea to have your am cortisol level checked.
Hi everyone -

I share many of your symptoms.  However, only if i exercise INDOOR.  Walking, jogging, yoga have not been a problem if it's OUTSIDE.  Only when the weather is not ideal, either too hot or raining, i switch to indoor.  That's when i feel sick afterwards.  Flu like symptoms, shortness of breath... Once, i drove straight to my doctors office because i really had trouble breathing after a workout indoor.  He thought it was a panic attack.  I feel there is something to do with the oxygen level difference between indoor and outdoor.

Wonder if anyone else has similar experience?  

Christine H
I have these symptoms also, and in fact came here and read this thread last year when I was fed up with constantly feeling sick from doing small things like cleaning the tub!

I was fit, and while I've always dealt with chronic fatigue, just a few years ago, these symptoms started. I was a runner, and suddenly after a run my throat would hurt and my head would pound and I'd get a fever. My muscles felt weak and shaky and basically I had flu like symptoms. Then it got worse. It's at a point where even cleaning the tub will put me down with flu like symptoms. Any strenuous physical activity. I got tired of it last year and went to a Natural Path Dr. She ran a few blood tests and came back with the results. Epstein Barr Virus. And she explained it so much better than any website. Basically, a virus has attached itself to my cells rather than running its course and leaving my body. So, when my body works at all, it's quickly weakened because it always thinks I'm sick. Thus the flu like/virus symptoms.

I chose to go the natural route (I don't enjoy pharmaceutic's side-effects). My Dr. placed me on supplements to keep my immune system strong; supplements to help with stress and the body parts affected by stress (EBV can flare from stress); an anti-viral tincture. She said people with EBV can sometimes hold onto virus'. The anti-viral tincture was like mixing the pot, bringing the virus' to the surface so they could run their course and leave my body.

EBV never goes away, but it does flare and fade from time to time.

I hope this information helps.  
Hi Chris,

I am so interested in reading this article, but I couldn't even access its abstract page; would appreciate sending me further info about it.

I am a researcher myself in another field too and just started to run and had those symptoms. I liked your thoughts and methodology in researching; well-done and thanks for sharing.

I would appreciate sending me what you reached on my email: rania.a.azmi (at) gmail.com

Many thanks.
I have access to the article. Here is the abstract:

Purpose: To characterize differences in cytokine responses to exercise of different intensities and durations between healthy and illness-prone runners.

Methods: Trained distance runners were classified as healthy (no more than two episodes of upper-respiratory symptoms per year; N = 10) or illness-prone (four or more episodes per year; N = 8) and completed three treadmill tests: SHORT (30 min, 65% V˙O2max), LONG (60 min, 65% V˙O2max), and INTENSE (6 × 3 min, 90% V˙O2max). Blood samples were collected pre-, post-, 1 h, 10 h, and 24 h after exercise, and interleukin (IL)-2, IL-4, IL-6, IL-8, IL-10, IL-12, and IL-1ra concentrations were determined. Repeated-measures ANOVA was used to assess changes in cytokine responses to exercise. Magnitudes of changes and differences between groups were characterized using Cohen's effect size (ES) criteria.

Results: Resting IL-8, IL-10, and IL-1ra concentrations were 19-38% lower (ES:0.38-0.96; small to moderate differences) in illness-prone runners. Similarly, postexercise IL-10 concentrations were 13-20% lower (ES: 0.20-0.37; small differences), and IL-1ra concentrations were 10-20% lower (ES: 0.22-0.38; small differences) in illness-prone subjects. In contrast, IL-6 elevations were 84-185% higher (ES: 0.29-0.59, small differences) in illness-prone subjects. Postexercise responses of IL-2, IL-4, and IL-12 were small and not substantially different between the groups.

Conclusions: Cytokine responses to controlled treadmill running differ between healthy and illness-prone athletes. Illness-prone distance runners showed evidence suggestive of impaired inflammatory regulation in the hours after exercise that may account for the greater frequency of upper-respiratory symptoms experienced.

Hope that helps!
Just so everyone knows pro biotica are rarely the solution to these symptoms. More likely the cause is mineral DEFICENCY and not depletion. It almost always has something to do with the endocrine or immune system. Deficency in b12 and D can cause these problems. As well, overtraining is a very common diagnosis. Although you are using your muscles to move the weight, the central nervous system or CNS is extremely taxed by lifting. In the bodybuilding world, our typical plan to treat symptoms like these are rest, and de load periods (1-2 weeks off of training every 4 weeks of HIT). Keep workouts under 60 mins, injest 1 gram protein per body fat and equal in  carbs. DO NOT cut fats out of the diet. Ensuring you get omega 3 fattys can speed up CNS recovery and boost hormone levels aiding in quick recovery and defensive autoimmune properties.
Hi guys,
Thanks to all of you for sharing your problems and solutions. Great people.

I also had 3-4 times ill conditions right immediately after workout, the very next day. It was so strange - I don't get ill at all usually, once a year maybe, but after workouts it started. 3-4 times is so much. Yesterday was the 4th time. After the first time I got ill, I paused 10 days, workout after the pause and got ill again, and so on.

Physical aspect:
There can be lots of guesses, but consider this:
Find out what change you made before you started getting ill after exercise:
Change in diet - exactly what you started taking and/or stopped taking.
Change in exercise.
Change in sequence - eating - exercise - eating.

Find out the change, get rid of it and go back to the old regime, the one that was giving you good results and no ills.

Also, as a precautionary measure it is good to run blood tests (extensive not ordinary) and urine tests and have it examined scientifically, not by opinion.

Spiritual aspect:
Also, maybe most important, know that we are all under influences that can be harmful - but to be affected by it, you need to bring yourself in the condition to be affected by it. More than 70% of all body ills are psychosomatic - caused by the mind.

Ever noticed, when you are in the middle of a fatigue moments, when something nice happens, or you have some win or achievement - you feel more energetic?
Or the opposite - when you felt energetic and experienced some loss or failure, and then you get fatigue?
These examples show the mind's influence over the body or its seniority over the body.

Find out what in your life has changed - what failures or losses you have had, or define the emptiness that you might feel for some time, and find out how to resolve it.

I also believe that gluten is part of the problem - but it is a consequence, because we all had gluten since birth, but it "somehow" starts now to show ailments.  

The "resolution" for the physical aspect can be made by physical means, but it is not permanent, because it includes that you must dispose of something, or that you must include something (which in the past you didn't have to do at all).

It is like you driving a car, and every time you drive, you hit it. You fix it but you hit it again. So, physical solution would be to stop driving the car, for example. But spiritual solution is to find out what makes you prone to accidents and eliminate it.

It looks maybe easier to deal with life problems in a physical way, that's why so many people don't even try to understand the mind which is senior to body.

Love you guys
So glad that I found this forum. I thought I was going mad and finally googled my symptoms, which got me here. Athletic all my life with no issue. Now I am in fair shape - cardio 1-2x per week plus walking. Six weeks ago decided to add arms to my 2x week workout. Nothing spectacular, just bis, tris, shoulders. After the 2nd session I got the full-on flu like symptoms - aches, chills, sore throat and extreme soreness in my arms. Chalked it up to getting a virus. I went back to my normal routine and added arms back in earlier this week. Exact same results. I normally do cardio plus hill walking for legs and abs. But when I try to add in arms I get these extreme symptoms. I didn't lift to exhaustion but did 3 sets with medium weights. Does anyone have a suggestions as to what would trigger this? Why the arms? I don't want to go to the doctor and be told 'we are all getting a bit older my dear." The symptoms are definitely out of proportion to the amount of exercise done.
Thank you!
Just like everyone else.

We've all overdone the exercise. In my case, massively. To cut a long story short, I lost about four stone in 18 months, mainly through running, 20-25k per week.

Then - whack. I had this flu-like illness, which dragged on for maybe a month. This was followed by what I can only describe as two years of torment; half asleep most of the time, general 'ickiness', extreme irritabilty at work due to the exhaustion, a weird aversion to certain chemicals, completely useless doctors. I was told I had CFS, and that was it. This led to some serious depression. There were a couple of points where I felt I might as well just end it, as there seemed no way out. It was that bad.

After maybe 18 months, where I barely did anything, things started getting a little better. I was less dozey. Actually, finding this forum helped a lot. I realised it wasn't just me.

The key thing was when I felt I'd improved enough to start running again. I realised something - I was gettiing 'icky' (and although this is imprecise, I know that most of you know what this means) a day afterwards, and while I was running I was quite often getting an itchy rash. Drinking loads of water helped (I think). But the real lightbulb moment was when I realised that my symptoms were actually classic allergy reactions. I was simply allergic to *something* that  was cropping up when I ran.

Whether its some breakdown product of anaerobic activity that was driving my immune system haywire I don't know. But I started taking anti-hystamines, marketed for hayfever (sold in Boots. They are the ones labelled 'non-drowsy' with Loratadene as the active ingredient). One after exercise, one or two the day after. That's it.

This simple thing - which not one of the five doctors I saw back at the beginning of all this ever thought to mention trying - has, basically, helped me get back on my feet. Feeling ill used to run my life. I know I still have to be careful and not overdo the exercise, but this simple discovery has allowed me to get back more or less to normal life. Now I just need to shed the two stone I put back on ...

Give it a go. A pack of 7 pills is 99p in Boots. If this helps just one other person to feel 10% better then I'll be happy.

Thanks for reading. CJ.
I had this flue like problem after strenuous workouts and lived with it for about 6 months before looking for help.  I finally asked my brother-in-law who is an acupuncturist and has an extensive background in Chinese herbs if he had any solutions.  He said that the cause was the release of toxins and other things from the body which overwhelmed the liver and suggested the Ho-shou-wu Chinese herb.  I tried many things before and this is the first thing I have tried that gave me relief.  It can be purchased on the internet at various herb sites and is inexpensive.  I hope this helps others, good luck.
Cool. I have the same thing happened to me since high school. It happened after I had 3000m contest.  But won't happen if I just play basketball. A very hard sex activity(1by1) would cause it too. But never happen when I went ski.( or maybe not so *** up after skis, that I didn't notice)
I am having it now( getting so worse in just 3 hrs).  I had a very hard exercise on weight lift yesterday.  My other guess is thay my body might be allergic to Heavy muscle sour.  
Sometimes, after swim I got a small symptom too.
This happen to some children after they have track and field contest if you search on Internet.
It's kinda a shame to the 21st medical technology. No doctor can tell a possible truth.
That is interesting. I turned 50 on 2/1/13 since then I feel like I have flu like symptoms after I do vigorous weightlifting or vigorous cycling.  It seems to be exacerbated if I go for a motor cycle ride in the cool air, after the exercise.  
Guys, do you have those same symptoms next day after sex? I do. It happens 99% of the times. Next day after workout or after sex.
The cool air is a trigger with me as well.  I had been doing pretty good with my regiment even though I cannot honestly say I have worked out much.  My work is physically demanding and I am a little afraid to hit the gym after work for fear of triggering another bad response.  I did get a nasty respiratory infection in January that is still lingering in my body.  Some days I feel better than others.  Winter months have been very bad for me for the past 5 years even though I live in Southern California where the winters are really quite mild.  I do not feel confident at this time that my previous regiment has worked for me.  I am now as frustrated as I have ever been.  I am hoping that as the weather becomes warmer my body will respond in a positiive manner.  One thing for certain, you must be careful not to overdo your activities and get plenty of rest.  Monitor your bodies response to all your activities.  Write things down.  It is important to keep a journal and over time a pattern will emerge that will help you treat your condition.  Good luck!!
hi - i am the same as you - exercise is killing me - i was hoping you might have found something that works. Even playing tennis now makes me feel sick for days afterwards - although there is a delayed reaction, sometimes as long as 24 hrs. I know an attack ( as i now refer to it) is coming as i suffer night sweats following excercise - when these occur i just know that for the next 6- 10 days i will be living with flu like symptoms. The i start to doubt by diet, my sanity, etc but it all comes back to excercise...
has anything worked for you >
there exist several lymph nodes in the arms. Muscular activity will physically push toxins out into the blood stream.
"Instead, lymph vessels are squeezed by your muscles when you move. Therefore, exercise plays a vital role in lymphatic fluid circulation".
http://www.livestrong.com/article/420539-exercise-lymph-nodes/#ixzz2SGALVTAx

"Lymph nodes act as filters or traps for foreign particles...." (wikipedia)
lymph nodes act to trap foreign particles and filter the lymph fluid. Activity will promote movement of lymph fluid through the nodes. Excersise is essential for lymph movement. nodes have a limit in what they can handle. toxic release from muscles and fat during excersice can overburden handling capacity of lymph nodes. This sets off a chemical reaction in body and immune response. My two cents.
Are you now able to exercise ?  I have ME and have had huge improvement drinking pure aloe vera but still have problems with exercise even walking for more that 10 mins .... I certainly don't crash as hard but if I do it every day I do and it seems to cause inflammation but one work out and  I crash.
This forum is great - I thought I was the first person to have experienced these symptoms but it sounds like I am far from being alone. My issues started in march 2008 when I was training for the London marathon. Towards the end of my three months training I suddenly starting feeling odd after training - flu-like, tired, mild sore throat, disturbed vision and a sense on imbalance. I ran the marathon but after that I have never felt the same. Any exertion beyond a 15 min walk leave me feeling rotten with these flu symptoms, and even when I avoid exertion I still feel unpleasant every day. I am constantly congested, my glands are mildly swollen and I just feel generally miserable. I am a 36 year old man with 2 young kids and a busy job, and whilst I can handle most of what life throws at me I can't exercise any more as I want to avoid feeling dreadful and I have to put up with these symptoms every day. I'm convinced it is due to my immune system being generally messed up - and the cytokines theories sound to me as though this is the problem. The only things that has ever improved things for me was bit b12 injections, but these are prescription only in the uk and whilst they helped they certainly didn't solve the problem.
I can relate to these posts!

I'm a 42 year old male. Until a couple months back I was a (fairly) competitive club runner. At the end of March I contracted a flu-like virus, during which I rested and (so I thought) let it take its course.

After 2 weeks or so of feeling fine I did some fairly intense speed work at a running track. The next day I had flu like symptoms: aches and pains and a strange 'fizzing' sensation all over. This lasted 2-3 days.

I reduced the intensity of training and no problems, but then a further less-intense speed session brought the symptoms back. So I decided to try a 3 week break with no exercise at all other than walking - felt fine. At the end of this period I did a gentle 30min jog keeping my HR around 120bpm. Result? Wham! Flu-like symptoms 24 hours later lasting several days.

The doctors have no answers so far, so I have requested blood tests and will update if any of these shed a light or if I find another solution. Until then I am stuck like the rest of you, unable to take part in my favourite activity and generally feeling crap all day at work :-(

Will let you know if anything works...
Hope this is an appropriate reply. I just signed up on this site tonight and am not sure how this works. .Anyway, all these symptoms sound like fibromyalgia, which I've had for 35 yrs.  Whenever I do anything for too long a time, like walking, cleaning, gardening etc, I feel very nauseous that evening and next day and my muscles will ache to the point where I can't even comb my hair.  Do you think your program of minerals etc will help fibro? I always thought fibro may be a mineral deficiency and/or immune system problem but can't find any new articles supporting that. You sound like a very informed person and any info you could give me or any sites you know would be very much appreciated.  Thanks
have had similar symptoms on and off for a LONG time now (going on 10+ years).  have had it up to here with it and am approaching my wit's end.

Prolonged physical exertion first brings numbness in my muscles.  If I take quite a few days off after one short round of physical exertion I'll eventually feel ok.  If i push it and workout anyways i'll feel even worse.  It is after a couple consecutive workouts that the flu/fever sets in.  When it first happened i thought i just needed to push myself even harder.  that's when i would start waking up with a numb face in the middle of the night and that was happily followed by eventually having numbness in my feet and lower legs.

Wit's end comes with having little or no energy and prior to this happening i got my energy by expending it!  feeling low?  get into shape!  feeling lethargic?  get out there and get after it with a workout - always gave me a bit of a high.

this is no longer the case and i'm devolving into some serious depression.  it's a cyclical mess and it's very hard to see a way out.

i like some of the posts regarding the symptoms being an answer to the exertion - is a protein no longer being processed?  is there some sort of virus which is released which attacks the muscle membranes?  Dunno the answer to these but i'm about done.  and all any primary care physician wants to do is give me an anti-depressant (been tested for anything and everything under the sun).  thanks for that, i'm depressed 'cos I sit around all freakin' day and come home and...guess what...sit around all night.  ugh.  will look into the nutritional/allergic side of things.
Same symptoms as most people here. They were triggered by exercise but also by alcohol, food + drink containing sugar. I read that sugar creates acidity which fosters the growth of bad bacteria. Altered diet to be mainly vegetables, little fruit, meat, rice, no bread, no sugar, no booze and took an antacid. Helped hugely. I can now do light exercise and sleep properly which I could not do before trying this.

Hope it helps.
So glad you have found an answer. I have been suffering very bad malaise after exercise, and have gone from running road races to only able to do gentle walking, and have had this for many years now. I am trying gluten and dairy free and will post back later with results.
I am so glad I am not the only one, my head was going places already.

I am 28 years old and I'v started taking care of my figure 2months ago, but 2 weeks ago, I did the rawing machine
1km in 5min and my nose started right there, it was so painful but I kept going, but I had the flu already.

The next week I did the same routine on cadio day n flu again, 2 weeks later I did a  group class "zumba" for an hour and I was in bed for the following days, with heavy flu.
Why is this happening? Am I allergic to exercising?
Please help
I run obstacle course races and I train a lot.  I do several different types of workouts but the one that have been giving me the most post workout issues is Bikram Yoga and I get this way after a hard core race.   I have these symptoms...extreme lethargy, bloating, joint pain, minor headache, light sensitive eyes, fogginess in my mind and feel cold all the time. The symptoms go on for about 3 days.  This is not normal for me.  I have crazy amounts of motivation to get to my training but when this happens I am out of control.  I have been researching this adnausium.  I have tried several different holistic approaches and changes to my diet.  Nothing has helped. I am trying one thing I just read.  Something about your body releasing large amounts of histine/histamine (?) when your body in distress due to other processes having to go into overdrive for recovery; so they suggesting taking an antihistamine. I took one last night and then this morning.  I feel A LOT better.  

Wow, all I can say is I'm really happy to find this thread (just as many others have said).  I've weight lifted for ages and not had much problems, but this year I started getting into cardio and then I came the constant "mini-flu" like symptoms in the days following a good exercise.  There is just no way I can justify a good cardio workout with what I can expect to follow.  Obviously very frustrating as I'm trying to be healthy and that's actually making me unhealthy.

I found this interesting article about histamine release in cardio type exercises.  It seems the best science based explanation I could find so far.  I noticed a lot of people in this thread mentioning taking an antihistamine before or after a big workout, and having some results.  Anyway, this sounds like the best first step so I'm going to try it for the coming month and see how the results are.  I know Benadryl will make me too drowsy, so is there any recommendations for non-drowsy antihistamines OTC?

To summarise the article below: some people have large releases of histamine from cardio, which causes the allergy like reactions.

Exercise-induced allergies: the role of histamine release.
Silvers WS.

Source: University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver.

Abstract
Exercise is a physical cause of allergic reactions, including exercise-induced anaphylaxis (EIAna), exercise-induced urticaria (EIU), exercise-induced asthma (EIA), and exercise-induced rhinitis (EIR). Since its first description in 1979, EIAna has been reported with variable clinical manifestations, with exercise alone, and in combination with food ingestion. Elevated serum histamine levels and cutaneous mast cell degranulation have been noted. Exercise-induced urticaria appears as small, punctate lesions that differ from the classic coalescent type seen with EIAna. Variant forms of EIAna with cholinergic urticarial lesions manifesting systemic collapse and/or respiratory distress have been studied. Exercise-induced urticaria and cold-induced urticaria may cause elevated plasma histamine levels coincident with the onset of pruritus and hives. Theories accounting for EIA include respiratory heat loss, water loss, and mast cell activation. Although some studies have shown increased plasma histamine with EIA, others have not. Recently, bronchoalveolar lavage in atopic subjects with EIA has been evaluated preexercise and postexercise, with no significant differences in histamine or tryptase, suggesting a pathogenesis of EIA independent of the mast cell. Exercise-induced rhinitis, with varying degrees of rhinorrhea, congestion, and sneezing, has been increasingly recognized in athletes who run, cycle, and ski. Cold-air-induced rhinorrhea in laboratory challenges displays a mediator release pattern similar to that produced by allergen-induced nasal challenges. Therapeutically, H1 antihistamines are recommended for EIAna both as pretreatment and acute therapy. H1 antihistamines may be helpful in EIU, but are recommended for EIAna both as pretreatment and acute therapy.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)
PMID: 1371041 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Just an additional comment to my previous post:

My impression is we can group these into two general categories:

1) Those with allergy symptoms (upper respiratory) for 24-48 hours following cardio are likely experiencing excessive histamine release.  Any non-drowsy antihistamine may be helpful, as well as an anti-inflammatory (tylonol) to reduce inflammation of the muscles.

2) Those experiencing stronger flu like symptoms for several days might be related to more complicated immune related issues.  I still think an anti-inflammatory taken before or after should help because it's effectively reducing the stresses put on your muscles/body.

I've heard this theory about "toxins" mentioned a lot in this thread. For those following science/evidence based medicine and nutrition, it should be noted there is currently no supporting evidence of so called "toxins" building up in the body- in fats, liver or muscles.  Lactic acids do of course, but that is something different.    
Sane here!
I guess one thing would work- wash your hair that day.
It is due to sweat blocking my scalp and my scalp not being ae to breathe.
cath, i do weight exercises and i always do light weights first. i don't do like hardcore exercises. i weigh 160 lbs 5 feet and 9 inches tall, but when i reach 170 lbs or more i get sick. first incident was way back in 2004, one morning i feel so tired can't get up from my bed and i feel pain on my right side below my ribs. i went to the doctor an told me i got liver cirrhosis. i don't get it. i live a healthy life,eat fruits and vegetables and less pork and chicken meat.so i stopped my exercises to attend my ailing liver. in 2007 i do my exercises again,after i gain 10 lbs, one night i can't hardly breathe. the following morning i went to the doctor and diagnosed with nasal polyp,so i stopped again. 2013 i do my exercises again, after gaining 10 lbs, now i have bronchitis. every after exercise i stop, i lose 10 to 15 lbs.now i feel so tired.
Has anyone considered 'overtraining syndrome'?  It fits a lot of the symptoms posted on this forum and is difficult to diagnose.  It won't show up in bloodwork and is typically diagnosed by ruling everything else out.  
I was diagnosed with re-occurring EBV 3yrs ago. It has limited my life in so many ways. I was never a high energy person, but I was rarely sick.
Anyway, I had been exercising for over 2yrs and body suddenly, what I would call, crashed. My lymph nodes around my neck were huge, I had a fever of 101.4 for 9 weeks. Everything ached, my hair started falling out and my scalp was so sore I would cry sometimes washing my hair.
I was extremely cold all the time and my memory was shot. This lasted for 2yrs. The doctor finally diagnosed me with CFS.
I have gotten better, but I have to go very slow with exercise. It's very frustrating because I used to be able to exercise hard and had lots of energy. My life now stays at a slow pace, but I do get periods of remission.
this has been going on for 6 months for me and it drives me nuts!
It's very likely that are all becoming ill because of Herxheimer reaction. I get exactly the same from high intensity cycling, particularly with hard threshold training. I did 70 miles on the bike on Sunday, the last hour at around 85% max heart rate and didn't drink enough. As sure as taxes, here I am today feeling like I want to die. It will be gone tomorrow.

Massively hydrating post workout is the only real answer, that usually does the trick for me. I ALWAYS get these symptoms when I don't hydrate.

http://www.rmaxinternational.com/flowcoach/?p=33
Exactly!!   Please PLEASE go totally gluten free for just two weeks..  you WILL feel better!   I went nine months SO sick..  read something online, tried a week gluten free no fevers, second week no fevers.  Then I ate pasta and was sick again.  Been gluten and fever free since.
I just found this thread and I am so glad to have found it.  I thought I was loosing my mind.  I get fever, sore throat, headaches, a little dizziness and sometimes nausea after working out.  The more intense the work out the more severe the flu like symptoms.  I've been working out my whole life and this is the first time I've ever experienced this.  It's been going on for about 5 months now.  Allergy, hyper or hypo immune response, reactivation of a latent virus, hormonal abnormality, other metabolic disorder are all potential causes.  But all of our symptoms are so similar that the underlying mechanisms causes this are probably similar among us.  Vitamins, diet, hydration, supplements, nothing changed and all this started.  The only change in my life is I moved to the east coast of the US and set up a workout room in my home basement.  my home is over 100 years old so maybe it's mold...  Gonna go to a gym to workout and see how I do there.  Otherwise I will go slow on the workout, diet more, eat more whole foods and change one thing at a time till I find a solution.  THIS IS MAKING ME CRAZY.
I am also amazed reading this and hugely frustrated. Doctors just don't take it seriously. I used to teach dancing and had to give my career up. Broke my heart. I had chronic EBV and 3 strains of Cox B. Went straight from that into CFS then I was told I had FMS now they saying I'm gluten intolerant and possibly celiac. I also have a hypothyroid, which is now being treated. When I said I couldn't even walk 20min once a week never mind 3 times a week I was told to just push through, but after flu-like symptoms for 3 weeks I decided it wasn't fair to my child so I've stopped trying to exercise. I have been told as well the gluten intolerance and thyroid problem are probably not the main cause of my fatigue. This has been going on for 3.5years. I battle to work. I basically just look after my child and am unable to do anything else. Its just tough. I can't believe there are so many of us battling like this and unable to find real answers or relief from our symptoms. People don't understand. Ive lost so many friends over this. My family even stopped talking to me for a while because they thought I was lazy. (they talk to me now esp since I have real diagnoses now) anyhow, any advice or direction from those who have found a light would be awesome!
As I read through all the posts regarding this auto-immune disorder, one thing is clear, you are not alone.  An article came out in 2009 from the University of Texas HortScience (google it) and I think it can explain what we in the medical field are seeing more and more often.  Our food supply is corrupted, and we are seeing the direct results of this in our health.  I am a Physical Therapist in the AF working closely with our Human Performance Wing in trying to determine why an increasing number of our airmen under 25 are simply falling apart and being medically boarded
I can't say this is AF policy but what we are finding as a common denominator is poor nutrition.  As with all autoimmune disorders, you will find an extremely varied medical response.  There is no simple solution other than ramping up your nutrition.  However, be certain that you will need to supplement.   There are tons of companies out there (manatec, genesis, advocare, herbal life, juice plus. Reliv to name a few) Which one do you choose? Know this, each of you are spiraling downward emotionally as you attempt to break through this disability. I see it every day with our wounded vets trying to accommodate to their disability. It's a dangerous time in your lives and often it affects those around us  There is no easy solution other than armoring up on your nutrition. One more article for you.  Please google Wikipedia and lunasin.  This Alfredo Galvez is on to something.  Email me and I'll send the abstracts detailing what these research institutions are finding regarding epigenetics and what's happening to the genome with regards to why we're seeing all these auto-immune disorders in our personal lives.  Way too much to write here.  ***@****
Have you tried omitting caffeine,  sugar and refined foods from your diet? Eating only whole foods as our ancestors did would probably be the answer.
Katarina,
I agree, except for the fact that our food supply is corrupted. That article I mentioned above by HortScience, says it all. Our fruits, vegetables and grains are up to 40% deficient compared to 50 years ago.  Yeah, you can go organic but is the organic product genetically modified?  The best way to treat this auto immune disorder is to fix the problem at the cellular level. Fix the body nutritionally and you'll fix this complicated condition. Emall me at cmzhobson(at)Hotmail(dot)com and I'll send you the research abstracts I have found regarding epigenetics.  I think you would agree.  We can manage to a certain degree to watch what we eat but are we getting exactly what we need daily to give our cells what they need to fight off these difficult health problems?  Hope to hear from you
I too was experiencing these symptoms. I was a person who exercised regularly, until I suddenly began having fevers and dizziness after exertion. It got to be bad enough that even a brisk walk would set it off. I also developed an asthma-like response, with shortness of breath and wheezing, and would cough every morning, whenever I took a shower, or exercised. Eventually, other bodily systems started acting up. I would have diarrhea after eating certain foods. My period started lasting two weeks. I was crabby and tired all the time. I needed a daily nap just to get by, and when I cut out caffeine, I found that it seemed to be the only thing letting me stay awake for a whole day. All of my blood tests came back normal. Eventually, after some searching, talking with family about medical history, and intuition, I convinced my doctor to do an ultrasound of my THYROID. I was eventually diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease, a condition that ultimately results in low thyroid hormone, but in the meantime can apparently cause wild fluctuations in levels. I have been on a low daily dose of synthetic thyroid hormone for a few months, and all of my symptoms have resolved. I don't know if this could be the cause of your problems, but it may be something to look into, even if your thyroid levels are within the "normal" range (mine were!).
I am a physician and noticed there are a lot of posts here with people who actually have different problems (though overlapping symptoms).  Some are talking about thyroid problems, some are talking about food allergies and celiac, others histamine intolerance and yet others chronic EBV and autoimmune symptoms plus CFS.  I'm sure all are correct for their individual conditions.  

I have had similar symptoms to the CFS/EBV camp - primarily "cold-like symptoms" for 15 years on and off apparently induced by exercise, exertion or strangely enough, alcohol.  Ironically one of the "treatments" for CFS is routine exercise!  

Unfortunately, these topics aren't really covered much in traditional Western medicine either in medical school or residency because it is not well understood (as opposed to Celiac, which is often simply overlooked by health care professionals).  EBV is ubiquitous, though it is not understood why some people respond to it differently, though likely immune mediated.  I like some of the ideas posted here (passion flower, bee pollen).  In order to find help, most people will have to turn to "alternative" medicine, the results of which may not be consistent or even reliable, but they're simply aren't many other options of which I'm aware at this time...some options could include seeing a Naturopath, energy healer (like Reiki, Healing Touch or Pranic Healer), Chinese medicine doctor or massage therapist.  Psychiatry and psychology can also help in dealing with the stress of having the problem (which may be helpful in and of itself!)  Good luck to everyone!
Viewing 201-281 comments: