Flu-like symptoms after exercise
I love running, using aerobic equipment and lifting weights; however, I ususually experience flu-like symtoms for days, sometimes weeks, later. For years now, I have felt as if a virus surfaces in me everytime I exercise.
My PCP is unhelpful.
My ENT recommended L-Lysine which I have been taking with a multi-vitamin everyday for a year.
Any suggestions?
L-lysine is often taken to enhance calcium absorbtion and promote some help in fighting viruses. You were not specific on the symptoms you experience, but my guess is that when you exercise you don't drink water, or you sweat to excess.   This will dehydrate you and you will lose salt and other minerals.  You can experience shaking of the hands, visual disturbances, headaches, stomach aches, stitches in the sides, exhaustion, low grade temps and other unpleasant symptoms.  If this is the case, try drinking a fluid that has minerals in it like Cytomax.  Make sure you take in salt, calcium, magnesium, and potassium.  Take several breaks to drink sips (not gulps) of fluid as you jog around.  Wear a hat to protect from the heat of the sun, and keep your head cool. If you breathe with your mouth open you may expect to dry out the bronchs and get a burning sensation in the chest as well.  When you are exercising in an aerobic state, try breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth.  The air will get warm and moist going through the nose and you will not experience the burning sensation that is related to dryness.  If you are breathing too hard to breathe this way, slow down your speed, stretch the legs to do a longer stride moving from the hip instead of the knee.  Hope this helps.
I have been experiencing the same symptoms for the past 2 years.  It came on very suddenly at a time when I was exercising regularly every morning on the stairmaster and lifting weights every evening.

Since that time I have forced myself to work through the weight lifting and have cut out the the stairmaster (which did cause a lot of sweating).  

I found that after a few days the flu like symptoms would diminish from the weight lifting.  However, if a took a break for a week or so and then got back into it I went through the same thing.

I am in very good shape and I don't know what to do to fix the problem.  I had considered the possibility of mineral depletion but I do eat well.  However, I do not take any supplements.  I have never had any other health problems.  I am 35 years old.  I had my blood tested for just about everything from west nile virus to lyme's disease with no results.  I even had my hearing and eyes tested.  Doctor's have said that it is possibly just stress but I don't buy it.  I don't feel stressed and why does it come on when I exercise or do heavy work?  Isn't exercise supposed to relieve stress?

I don't know if I am making it worse by plowing through or if that is the best thing to do.
I'm glad I found this post. Good to know I'm not the only one!
I went through this same thing all last week. I would do a moderate intensity work out on the treadmill for 40 to 50 minute. the next morning I felt tired and heavy, slightly sick in the stomach as well as bloated. The thing the thing that help the most was drinking at leat 2.5 liters of water a day.
For a while it was an unhappy cycle. I would drink water all day, feel better, exercise, feel worse, drink water....
Now I am over it.
I did some reading about toxins in the body and found out that fat may also be a mix of cellular waste, water, unprocessed hormones and other nasty stuff. I guess if your liver is metabolizing this fat, kidneys have to work over time to remove this extra waste. Some might end up back in the bloodstream and you would feel icky. Sort of like the drain backing up in your basement. As I understand it, constantly flushing the kidneys is a good thing.
did you ever find a cure for this?  i am having  same problem
drink plenty of water...eat enough calories...if it persist your probably over training.
I am also glad I found this post, since I was beginning to feel like I was the only one who had such a complaint, and it was just plain weird.

After several years of putting up with these "flu-like" symptoms after aerobic exercise, I think I have finally found out what's going on. While scanning the web searching for answers, I came across a site that deals with digestive ailments, and their possible influences on your body.

Basically, if the balance of bugs (bacteria etc) in you gut are not correct from any of a number of different reasons, they can make you feel like **** even when moderately stressed, like when exercising, working too hard, personal problems and so on. The site suggested that Probiotic therapy might help, so, digging deeper, I found a health food outlet in my town that carried a probiotic capsule that had the best live mix of these. (check for yourself which are best, but the Western Ontario University Professor, Dean, has some good advice on this score).

I began taking 2 of these capsules a day for the first three days, and found that all the usual intestinal and other flu like discomforts I had been experiencing for years, WENT AWAY. Talk about effective!. No doctor I've been to has ever been able to come up with anything other than a lame explanation for what I had, and none have prescribed anything other than lots of sleep and crossed fingers. This didn't work!

I may never know why my intestinal balance was off and these symptoms started, but at least now I know how to get rid of the problem. If this seems familiar to you, what could it hurt to try? I was more than a little skeptical as well, and normally don't believe anything until I can confirm it, but it worked for me. I hope you can get the same relief I did, but you will know within a week. I'm pulling for you because it is not fun to know you're trying to be healthy, and yet the harder you try the worse it gets.

Good luck, and if this works for you, pass it on to someone else who may be in the same position.
Unbelievable! The same thing thing has happened to me for years! Whenever I start running or weight lifting at higher intensities, sure enough I end up getting very sick with what I think is the flu! I always get so frustrated because as soon as I start making great progress, I seem to take two steps back by getting "the flu" for a week. As a matter-of-fact, I am sick now and have been running quite a bit and weight training. I know I have been eating right and I take supplements. If this is a "gut thing" and taking a probiotic pill is the answer, I will be gloriously happy! So what is this pill? Is that what I should ask for at the health food store? Thanks for the help!
Hi Poog76,

I posted an answer before, but it doesn't look like it made it. Maybe I wasn't logged in. Anyway, look for "probiotics" by UDE. These worked for me. The specific type was for "advanced adults". You should be able to find it in health food stores, or else call around and see who might have it. These are pricey ($35), and others willl likely work, but why mess with a good thing until you are feeling better. Good luck.
Hi Poog,  

It's AMAZING or maybe just God sent that I came upon your post today (as I too am sick right now).  What you described is the EXACT same thing that happens to me.  I wanted to cry when I read it.  I have been suffering with this for at least 10 years.  I work out hard, make great progress only to get the "flu" which takes me 10 steps back.  Has the probotic pill helped?  You probably haven't had enough time to evaluate whether it is but when you do, PLEASE post and let me know.
Hi all, I am happy to see this post too.  I was at my chiropractor's office (a great overall health and fitness person as well) today and in addition to my other various ailments was telling him about how I feel so sick the day after I exercise and then for a few days, and YES backtracking any progress that you have made.  Anyway, he had suggested that it could be.....something to do with our creatin (I believe) and there was a specific name for the condition.  Obviously, I should have written it down at that point.  It can be diagnosed via a blood test and is directly relating with your body not being able to bounce back (due to your creatin?/protein?? levels) after exercise.   I will definitiely get back to you all and let me know if you find anything on this as well.  I had really not defined it as "flu-like symptoms" but the chiropractor asked me those exact words and it was right on.    I had been quite discouraged and thought it has been an endless list of things, allergies, asthma, diabetes, thyroid, cardiovascular, diet, depression, overall lack of energy needing detoxed, just having the "A-G-E"disease and the small kids combo... and have more or less gone to specialists regarding all of these.   In the interim, I will start the probiotics.  I think I will go the route with the Danactive Immunity drinkable yogurts that are "probiotics" .  My kids love those anyway, duh should have been drinking them all along.  AND this Dr. advised protein shakes before working out.  Either of these approaches are  going to hurt me, nor cause me to feel any more tired or "icky" than I already am.  
please see recent post
I am happy to report that after taking a probiotic (my nuripath pharmacist said any multi form will do) and some "noni" juice, I haven't had the "flu" after exercise.  Although I must add that I did cut my routines down in intensity and did get a mere cold (no where near that the harrowing symptoms I did have).  My doctor did recommend that I come into the office when I did get such "flu" symptoms as she wanted to run some muscle and other tests but I haven't had any yet.  I will mention to her what ginagum has said about the creatine (protein) levels.  I am curious about what would happen if I worked out at my prior more intense level.  Until my next update!  Thanks to all!
Wow, I am late in my response but I am so glad to have found this site. I have been experiencing the same symptoms!!!!! It is usually after lifting weights to fatigue! I get very sick with flu like symptoms for days!

Please remember not to exercise on an empty stomach and make sure to maintain hydration. A multivitamin supplement should help.

I am in the UK and relate to these symptoms very closely.  I train for triathlon and various other sports and suffer with the 'flu like symptom' frequently, often pushing through.  I put it down to picking up viral infections but often i have no build up of catarrgh or other common cold/flu symptoms except fatigue, headache and malaise.
Please could you specify the dose of probiotic taken - i beleive you can take them by the 4/6/8 billion etc as i am willing to try anything!

thanks
I've spent 14 months with the crazy flu response to exercise, oodles of bloodwork, a diagnosis of fibromyalgia (which i think is an excuse for 'I can't figure it out') and I am willing to try ANYTHING that sounds half way reasonable.  I'm headed out for probiotics as soon as I get myself dressed.  Thanks for a new option.
Great info in this conversation.  I am experiencing the same thing.  Going to try probiotics to see if it helps.

Thanks!
I've been mixing probiotic yogurt (plain) in with my protein shakes after lifting, as well as on my off days, but today I am sick. I've been training hard for the past 5 months trying to get back into shape after 12 years of sitting behind a computer. I took up a rigorous weight training schedule as well as two 1/2 hour cardio routines on the elliptical during "off" days. When my weight drops significantly (non-plateaus), I've been getting sharp pains in my "love handle" areas for the past month which is common to what someone said earlier in the post. I pressed on. Two days ago, I got a swollen gland in my neck, followed by muscle/joint ache and later the other gland getting swollen.
Now I am full fledged sick... My point here is that I've survived numerous illnesses from my school aged children, I take probiotic yogurt, keep my protein intake around 200g/day, and drink plenty of water (multiple Mass Krugs/day).

I think there may be something to what bubahotep posted on Sept on 2006. The reason I suspect that, is that my kidneys have been starting to bother me right as I dropped another 10lbs... then sickness. I suspect the toxins in the lost fat were enough to overwhelm my filtering system and get my resistance down.

I will give credit where credit is due by saying prior to mixing the yogurt in with my protein shakes, I was mixing in tofu instead. During that time I did get sick a couple of times. So I believe there is something to be said for the probiotic yogurt as well...

In a blender I mix up frozen strawberries and bananas, the whey protein mix (vanilla), a large glob of plain yogurt, water, wheat germ, and some flax seeds... It works out great since it's delicious, good for me, and I'm lactose intolerant.

Bottom line, next time my kidneys start to bother me, I'm going to kick up the water intake and ease up on the cardio until the ache goes away. I'll report back.
So that seems to work pretty good. I've started feeling flu symptoms a couple of times over the past month. Generally within the next couple of days after an intense workout. I started drinking about a shot and a half of apple cider vinegar with about a liter of water... at least twice per day. If I feel a little worse, I’ll have an extra liter of acv/water. One thing to note as well, I never stopped or slowed down on working out since I've started this. There have been numerous illnesses in both my family and work life that I’ve managed to stave off. So... my current conclusion is that water combined with probiotics and daily vitamin supplements is a good thing... I've also been taking potassium gluconate powder and CoQ10 but don't think they are a factor in preventing flu symptoms.
Incredible, just incredible. I've been battling this for almost a year now. I am 25, have been heavily into weight training since I was ~19. All of sudden in April 2009 I started getting about 24 hours of flu-like symptoms post anaerobic exercise. Included in this is any kind of aerobic exercise with a significant resistance portion such as a "Hill interval" setting on an elliptical machine.

I have taken a huge 5 month break of almost any intense physical activity and the first day back at the gym produces the same symptoms as when I was working out 4-5x a week. I will also note that I eat a ton of fruit but few vegetables by comparison and have taken several strong antibiotics since 07. I am out the door to try a strong pro biotic treatment.

I wonder what we all have in common it would be great to find out!
I wanted to add that I've been to a sports clinic and done a ton of bloodwork - I am definitely not showing any signs of actual overtraining - no excessive muscle break down, not to mention a huge rest period since previous training cycles.
Its good to read these and know I am not crazy.  I use to be a personal trainer and workout all my life.  As of 6 months ago I started experiencing the same problems. Extreme nausea and body fatigue that seems to occur after exercising but it is not every time. In fact I experience 3 times in fall and then had no reoccurances until 3 weeks ago and now have had it twice.  This last one though is quite different in that its been going on for about 6 days now but without a lot of nausea just more extreme body ache and fatigue and low appetite.  My doctor is just now beginning the basic series of blood work and test but I believe there is something more non-traditional.  I have some theories and wanted to see if any of you have in commonalities.  Did any of you or do any of you have any histories of:  Mono, recent birth of a son or daughter or kids in general, any mold allergies, hx of rhuematoid arthritis - self or family hx, Recent hx of body fat gain and period of decreased exercise and now getting back into it -- is it related to fat metabolism or release of toxins stored in fat?  I look  forward to your respones.

Hey guys,  

Well, it has been 5 years since I graduated college and began working 50+ hours a week in a fairly stressful job.  Unfortunately, my exercise routine from college took a back burner after I entered the workforce. I don't smoke, drink coffee, and rarely drink.  Nutritionally, I don't have the best diet, but it's not the worst either.  I could eat more fruits/vegetables, but I don't live on fast food either.   The past few months I've been trying to start an exercise routine, mostly to help buffer against the stresses of work.   Usually I'll try riding my bike, or taking a slow jog, to ease into things.   Literally, within hours, I start developing flu-like symptoms.  My throat starts burning and itching, and by the next day, I feel congested, have a fever, and I feel weak.   Usually within 3-4 days, the symptoms are gone.  This is the second time that this has happened in the past few months, both times, immediately after I exercise, so I don't think it's a coincidence.   I have no family history of illness and, other than the seemingly exercise-induced illnesses as of late, I think I'm fairly healthy.   If I had to speculate, I would say this is related to the release of toxins that have built up in my body over the past 5 years that are now being released into by bloodstream from exercising.  For now, I'll think I'm going to try focusing on nutrition and probiotics for a month before trying to exercise again.  If that doesn't work, I'll seek advise from a doctor or nutritionist.  In the meantime, if anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated.  I'll monitor this forum for advice and will post any new information that I find.  
I stumbled on to this page after typing in a search on DanActive. I am a marathon runner, and I have been experiencing the same things for over 8 months. I seem to be in a cycle where I can do a few hard workouts, and then I get "sick" but strangely, I seem to lack any definitive symptoms, like a definite sore throat, or cough. Instead, my body just feels like I have the flu, (extreme fatigue, weakness, inability to do anything except lie on the couch). Like everyone else has said, it sets me back in my training and it's extremely depressing. After getting sick again last week, (there is a severe GI flu going around work, and this time I actually threw up, so this one might be more "legit") I decided to try some DanActive. I have been to a GP, and OBGYN, and to my Naturopath several times. The only thing anyone has been able to conclude, (the Naturopath) is that I have Adrenal Fatigue...which is something that anyone suffering from all of the above should definitely research...Anyway, If I could solve my training/flu vicious cycle with something this simple, I would be ecstatic!!
I think you are allergic to particular things which you have to find out.
If it is a virus you have to build your resistance.
If you have allergy when you go out, due to pollen, dust, due to weather change you will face these cold symptoms which would go into a bacterial infection later, try using anti histamines when you start sneezing or any other symptoms.
Try also multivitamins(Vit C) and also good protein diet.
Take care!
I am so glad that i have stumbled past this website. I started gym in April 09' for weightloss. I have not been to gym in years but am loving the Step classes. I seem to be able to gym for a week, and then off sick with "flu like symptons" for a week and then back to gym, and so this goes on. I will definetaly try a Probiotic.... i am going to go and buy today and see how it helps.
Try doing some outdoor walking and jogging and compare if you have the same flu like symptoms in Gym and outside. If you only have them in the gym then you are allergic to something, you have to find that out and prevent it. Take care!
I have had problems with weight training and aerobic exercise for many years.  Multiple doctors have told me it is impossible to get sick from exercise.  How it works is as follows:  I start working out fine for about 8 weeks and then I get to a decent level of fitness and am increasing the intensity of the workouts.  It has occured when I weightlift, so I gave that up and tried Karate, and it came back, gave that up and tried mountain biking (figuring it was the inside air, but sure enough it came back!)

Specifically  I come down with respiratory flu.  I get a low grade fever, very swollen glands, exhaustion, a raw feeling in my chest when I breathe and a very mild headcold.  I first thought it was the gyms so I switched a bunch of them.  Interestingly, last week I restarted working out after over a year off with a personal trainer.  he really pushed me and after only 2 sessions I duplicated my symptoms.  This has haunted me for years but I dont get the stomach issues that everyone talks about.  Does anyone else get the respiratory side of this and do the probiotics do anything for that.  If they do, can anyone hypthesize why it works?
Respiratory symptoms cannot occur as such in an healthy individual.

You can have allergies, some people are highly allergic, you might be allergic to the dress material, machines, weights and what not and slowly you have these respiratory exasberations.

The second reason we see is secondary infection due to interaction with people. You might be getting respiratory infections from them, and while working out you may be get it like a flu.

I too have been having flu symptoms for the past few months after exercise.  Last week I had to leave in the middle of my workout due to hitting a wall with flu fatigue.  After cycle training yesterday my entire body ached and I had to take to my bed for several hours.  Specifically, my legs were throbbing and I had to take Tylonol, which I have never had to do before.  Now keep in mind that I was in an anaerobic state for 45 minutes of my ride.  Only 15 minutes was aerobic so I know I wasn't "pushing the envelope" thus making me fatigued.  For years I have always left my workouts feeling rejuvinated and energized.  Now I leave barely able to finish out my day.  I did have mono for 8 months two years ago but fully recovered.  I drink Kombucha every once in awhile but will stock up on a weeks supply and see if there is any improvement.  
I am also happy to see these comments, but I don't yet see what looks like a good solution for me.  I get the "flu" several days after I exercise. And this has been going on for years.  The only thing that cures it for me is to get lots of rest.  There is no way that I can exercise when I'm in the flu/fatigue stage.  I have talked to doctors about it, but it's especially strange because my symptoms have a delayed onset after the exercise.   I also get migraines, including deep fatigue, so I'm beginning to think this may be a part of a migraine cycle, though I don't necessarily get a headache.  It's just strange that I can pretty much count on getting quite sick about three days after I exercise more than usual.
Dear All,

This is very interesting. I went to the gym for the first time in 2 years yesterday and only did half an hour work out, when i came home my body started to seize up and in the night i had the shivers and then went boiling hot, and couldn't sleep. I really felt like i had the flu. I am going to try a Pro biotic treatment........i put it down to my body going into shock after not training for 2 years! Hopefully it will get better as i get fitter. Do you think it is linked to 'over training'?
My son is 9 years old, and gets these symptoms after hockey prcatices.

We have seen countless doctors and made countless tests, we finally came to think that it is stress, but now when i read your comments i think it is more than that.

I am wondering if nine year old kids can take these probiotic pills.
This has been happening to me for a number of years now. I was working out regularly at the gym but stopped because I kept getting sick. Like prof_mike it is mainly respiratory. I get headaches, sore throat, swollen glands, exhaustion and what feels like a low-grade fever. My Dr. just shook is head when I said I feel sick 12 to 24 hours after exercising. I'll try eating before I work out watching my water intake to see if that makes a difference. I already eat a good amount of yogurt.

Please report back if you figure anything out.
I have had this problem for a couple of years too -- off and on -- and it has begun again just this past week. The only thing I found that helped was a lymphatic massage and lots of water. I felt like death and just happened to have a massage scheduled the same day. After explaining how I felt, the therapist did this lighter type of massage to release the toxins and lactic acid out of my muscles and I felt completely better - and it didn't come back either. I literally felt euphoric afterwards. I've tried the probiotics and that didn't work for me, which was really disappointing. I know it's not really reasonable to think we can all go out and get special massages every time this acts up, so I'm open to other ideas. I'm so happy I'm not the only one. I was beginning to think I was crazy!
I think this is because the digestion of "dirty protein" (Heated food)gets interupted during hard workout. What you should eat: Fruits (Lots!!), nuts, raw fresh salmon (not from freezer if you can), raw egg yolks, and drink 3 liters of fluid per day.  The Probiotic helps with digestion, but dont treat the symptom!
Add one more voice to the chorus.  I've had this for years.  My doctor has tested for everything and found nothing.  I guess I'll try the probiotic pills and cross my fingers.  
WHOOOO HOOOO!
I am so relieved to hear about all of you.  I'm not alone anymore and while there isn't a diagnosis/treatment in stone.  It's good to know there are others out there.  Thank you all for writing.  I will try the suggestions I've never heard before especially the probiotic one and let you know.
I have had this problem for over 10 years now.  I'm 38 and it started somewhere around the aged of 25/27.  I'm having a flare up now!  As a result, I'm slightly overweight, I struggle with exercise.  Start and stop all the time, it's discouraging.  I was in an accident a couple years ago and couldn't exersise at all till recently.  And the same thing happens to me even after all that time.  
Before these symptoms started, I LOVED EXERCISE and probably would go to extremes.  I sometimes wonder if that's what set me up for this imbalance.
I wonder if there's anything we might have in common that may be a contributing factor.  We'd be a great group for a study, I think it's quite rare, as I've never found anyone else on-line till now.  This blog has been going for some years.  It would be great if there was a website for it, maybe I'll start one, and we can start a whole community, find out how many other people suffer from this and maybe start learning what we have in common, or not in common.
Cheers
So glad to hear I am not the only one... I feel fluish in the afternoons or evenings of days that I exercise. My body does not bounce back the way it usually has. I hadn't done much exercise in the last year and this started when I started training for a half-marathon. But I am taking the training really slow so I know it is not over training. I've had a bunch of blood tests done and no real answers. I do admit that I don't hydrate very much and am not the best eater, but I do take a vitamin and some supplements. I am going to try to hydrate better and add some probiotics and see how it goes. Thanks!
I am so excited to have found that I am not the only one! I am a personal trainer and obsessed with health and fitness and still cannot find a reason for cardio making me sick. I can weight train for hours if I wanted...Circuit style, PHA, or just supersets and no sickness...You put me on a treadmill, bike, elliptical, or stair climber and I have flu like symptoms the next day! I Drink tons of water and water mixed with G2 throughout the day probably equal to a gallon or more so I know that I am well hydrated. I take all necessary vitamins and use NitroFusion as a protein supplement...(only one I have found that has no digestive upsets). Im lactose intolerant, vegetarian, IBS-D and some sensitivity to some forms of gluten. I have tried dairy free BIO-K, and Dairy Free Good Belly but didnt find much relief from them. Any suggestions on a "dairy free/lactose free" probiotic I can try...or any other suggestions...?? Its hard to get the physical results I want without being able to reall incorporate a heart healthy cardio routine. Or should I just cut out the machine related cardio and stick to circuit training?? This is so strange to me!!
So glad to find this site..  I have been suffering for several years with so much sickness after a body message and exersising.  I have severe body aches like the flue and end up with  sinus and it settling in my lungs.  Spend 4 to 5 days in the bed and taking antobiotics and I know that cant be good for you.  Doctors cant seem to find anything. My hormone dr did find that my adrenal gland was not producing enough hormone to fight infection.  Took DHEA.  Seem to help some.  Thank all of you for posting and letting us know about probiotics...  I really can relate to Shelley. My husband is getting me some today... Yeah!!!  expecting a miracle.
Wow - and I thought it was just me!!  I've been getting this for a few years too.  Like a few posters above, I get the sore throat first, which turns into a head cold, blocked sinus, which always seems to progress to my chest after a couple of days. I've got the chesty cough even as I type.

It started again a day or so after my last heavy(ish) workout with weights ... sore throat, sinus blocked, aches (yes, I expect aches after doing weights, but these are different 'coldy' aches) etc etc until I had to have a couple of days in bed and a day off work.  I just put it down to picking bugs up at work.  I work in a crowded and fairly confined environment and work closely with a lot of people (I work in a college).

I've been into fitness for most of my life and have been a veggie nearly as long.  Funny that, like some others on this list, I seem to get it when I've let the exercise drop (like over Christmas hols) and I try to get back into it at the same level I left off a week or two before.  I always thought it was just a coincidence until it happened this time.

I think I'll ask the sports people at college - one of them may have heard of this.  I'll report back if I learn anything new.

Good luck to everybody in getting to the bottom of this damn thing!

Sorry - I don't know why it posted twice! :-/
at last i to thought i was the only one! ive been heavily into weight training and interval training for about a year now. a little before i got back into the gym a year ago i came down with what was described as a 'coughing' bug, it was all over the place in november/december 2008. was much like flu and i was bedridden for two weeks, the aches in my lower back and hamstrings were almost unbearable and the cough was horrific. ever since this time ive never been able to exercise regularly for more than a month without getting the 'sniffles' a sore throat and generally feeling like crap for several days, lethargic, achey, foggy head, restless leg syndrome in the evenings etc and an inability to do any meaningful weight lifting. the frequency of these periods has increased over the past few months to a point when its almost every other week lately. my strength and endurance are considerably dimished from the levels i was at in the summer. are these specifics ringing any bells with people?
Ringing lots of bells here, but I'm still no closer to ny answers!  Still got my cough and sniffles two weeks on :-(  Good luck!
ive considered over training, but as i can never really put in more than a week or two of decent exercise then need to rest for up to a week i dont see how i can be overtraining. and every time i feel better and get back working out i seem to only be able to do less than i could during the previous spell of good health. so overtraining would seem to be out. im going to spend the day googling and see what i come up with. CFS seems like a possibilty. im going to look into causes relating to protein supplements and vitamin supplements etc
Thanks for your thoughts.  I've just spent a few hours Googling too.  You stole my thunder though when you say you can rule out over-training.  That was pretty much the best my Googling found - Over Training Syndrome (OTS).  

Not sure what the role of Lactic Acidosis is either yet - I'll do some more research during the week.  Anyone out there know?

Your story almost mirrors mine, so I'm sure there must be something going on to explain it.  But I do find that it's when I've had a lay-off like over Christmas and try to start where I left off, or when I push myself harder once I'm into a routine.  I know more or less within hours what's coming :-(  It's quite a different feeling from usual muscle soreness.  Do you find the same?

I asked my GP last time I was there but he more or less laughed and said he'd never heard of it.

Good luck with Googling!
i recently qualified as a fitness instructor, and ive overtrained in the past and this just doesnt feel the same, and overtraining was a very gradual, creeping of symptoms. you shoudl consider aspartame toxicity also. its in loads of sports drinks and supplements and until i searched online yesterday i had no idea it was so bad for you. it can bring on or mimic CFS, OTS  apparently. not to mention immune dysfunction, sore throats etc. so im cutting out the sports drinks and going back to normal sugar in my tea. see if that helps. ive just  been shopping and invested in loads of yakults and probiotic yogurt too, as was mentioned earlier in this thread. so i will see if that changes anything.
Interesting that you are a qualified instructor - you'll have a good grounding in nutrition then, and you obviously recognise OTS in yourself and that it's different from what's going on with you at the moment.

I never realised either that aspartame is such a slow-release poison either!  I hope you have found the answer to your probs and that you'll feel an improvement very soon!  Let us all know.  Good luck!!

For myself, I really can't see that would be the cause - we are always very careful over what's in our food and drink.  Never have sports drinks or anything that might contain aspartame and don't have sugar or sweetener in tea.  Maybe I'm looking at something like post-exertional malaise?  Hmmm, there is clearly a lot to read about.

Good luck and thanks for sharing all this.  Cheers for now.
Wow, I am so glad I found this.  I too have been experiencing cold/flu like symptoms after working out for the past like 10 years.  It started at around age 32. Before that I was a workout addict and worked out every day with weights and cardio. Then I took a break for about a year due to depression and when I started working out again I started experiencing these symptoms.  It seems like anytime I do any kind of heavy cardio where I break a good sweat I almost always get sick.  I will wake up the next morning feeling horrible with swollen glands, head and chest congestion, sinus headache, slight nausea and just feeling all over weak and flu like to where I can hardly do anything for a few days. Sometimes I end up with a really bad migraine for like a week. It has been so frustrating because I cannot keep up any kind of workout routine which has caused me to gain over 20 pounds in the last few years.  I am usually ok with just walking or mild exercise but with anything more strenuous like running, stair stepper, eliptical machine, aerobics, circuit training or anything that makes me break a good sweat i get sick.  I have also had the thought that maybe my body is releasing toxins after exercise but I have tried everything and nothing has helped.  I eat a pretty healthy diet and drink lots of water and take vitamins.  I have taken probiotics in the past and detox products but haven't noticed any difference. I was beginning to think maybe my body is just plain allergic to exercise!  If anyone has any other suggestions please post!!! I am desperate to find some answers as I really want to get back in shape again and be able to stick to a regular exercise routine!
I recently just started working out again and I ran the track for the first time the day before yesterday and that night my throat started to burn and my muscles hurt which I thought was just from running. Well I slept horrible because very muscle hurt like the flue  and now my glands in my throat hurt and my body feels like i was hit by a train. I am going to try some probiotic and plenty of water any other ideas? I feel awful! Any suggestions you can reach me on my email..***@****
Flu-like symptoms after exercising is very familiar indeed. I suspect we'd be doing ourselves a favor by reading up on adrenal fatigue---the existence of which is questioned by mainstream doctors. Could be automimmune related. The healing process takes time. Sufficient protein intake is important as is resting, drinking plenty of water, eliminating caffeine and alcohol, keeping workouts low-key. Here's one link out of thousands..

http://www.naturalnews.com/024985_cortisol_blood_adrenal_fatigue.html

Hi Everyone, Same symptoms here!
39 yo female, have been exercising all my life and got those flu-symptoms (upset stomach & throwing up, hot/cold face, extreme fatigue, hammer headache etc..) more and more often in the last 2 years. The funny thing is that it starts within few hours after exercising, never right away. So each time I am thinking I am going to be okay, and then, boom, here it comes. Really frustrating. It lasts after several hours or sometimes it takes me the full night to get over it. After that, I can feel super tired for another few days, but not really sick. I do have asthma and thought it was related for a while... but I have always had asthma, so don't see why it would get worse now. Getting old may be the more basic factor? The toxins release thing rings a bell too. As the symptoms have been slowing me down for many months, I have been putting on few pounds. But hard to say which is the consequence or the trigger then! Will try on drinking more (I generally don't drink while running) & the probiotic thing. To all of you, thanks for sharing, and let's agree on not letting this thing stopping us anyway. Exercising is awesome :)
Thank you for letting me know I'm not crazy!  All my long life I've come down with colds and flu virtually EVERY time I've stressed my body with lack of sleep or with exercise.  It happens after an incubation of 3-4 days and lays me up for 1-3 WEEKS.  I told my doctor about it today and he said he never heard of such a thing!  The syndrome started in college, staying up all night studying for finals.  It continued through middle age as I ran marathons.  Now in old age I'm getting quite obese as even 30-minutes on the treadmill triggers a cold/flu 3 days later.  Those of you who have solved the problem, please tell me more specifics-- how do I buy and take the Probiotics?  Pills?  Yogurt.  Other "cures."  And how can I make my doctor realize I'm not crazy?  GoodOldBob.

This is an extremely helpful site. Juan- Have you had a toxicology work up? There is a company named NeuroScience that does an in depth work up. It looks like it would be worth it to just have some peace of mind. I don't work for NeuroScience but work for a Physical Rehabilitation Practitioner who relays heavily on this company. Insurance companies don't pay for this but I found it has been benificial to many of our patients. If in fact, you have high toxic levels I would suggest you look into Chelation. Chelation is not for everyone so please contact a trust worthy physician to oversee this. Also, have you had your Vitamin D levels checked?  Low Vitamin D levels will reck havic on our immune systems. Many of use rely on the use of sunscreen which puts us at risk for low Vitamind D levels. Many patients who walk through our doors have low Vitamin D levels. Again, this can be easily tested for through blood work. Also, from what I hear the Lymes blood test is not 100% reliable. It is possible to have a negative Lymes test and in fact be positive. Also, the Thryoid blood tests are definately not reliable. I in fact was borderline low-Hypothyroidism and suffered for many years. I thought I was dying of some rare disease, which was out of my character because I am a very positive person. Until, I found one doctor who started to treat me for it and I find that my immune system feels a lot stronger and is able to keep up with my work outs. Although the natural thyroid medicine is sometimes hard to locate it is worth it. Also, you seem like an athlete like myself. But, sometimes less of a work out is more benificial. The most crucial/benificial times that come from our workouts are the resting periods. Keep this in mind when you have to make the choice of working out everyday or giving your a body a break which it sounds like it needs. Since our bodies build up with Lactic Acid after our work outs it is easy to see that if you don't get the proper rest that this can become too demanding on our body. Don't give up. If you feel like something is wrong stick with it we know our own bodies the best. Stay informed.  I wish you the best of luck.

I also wanted to add that although Pro-Biotics are beneficial it is imperative that you find a reliable brand. Our secretary was an avid Pro-Biotic user and when she had a stool test they told her she had extremely low levels of acidophillis in her stool. The supplements she was using were a sham.

There are a lot of great suggestions on this page but I wanted to add something else. Before you try adding a lot of yogurt or protein to your diet run a trial and see how your body reacts. Many trainers advise to get a lot of protein (Milk, Eggs, Shakes) in your diet but i found personally all of the above caused me to fill up with fluid( Uric Acid) in my joints which gave me flu-like symptoms. I am only 25 so this didn't seem appropriate for my age. This brings me back to Pro-Biotics. If you use a good brand and work on your digestion you will be able to process these proteins better.If you are in deed intolerant to milk find a Pro-Biotic that is milk free. Also, adding a digestive enzyme to your diet when you heat high protein meals can be beneficial to proper digestion. I used to cringe when I saw people drink those heavy protein drinks. It doesn't seem natural to me for our bodies to process that amount of protein in one sitting.
It is nice to finally find a site with good information on this vexing problem, and I like to share some information that might be helpful to some of you.  I used to spend the whole evening exercising 5-6 days a week in my mid-20s back in college without ever getting any symptoms such as these.  But, now in my early 50's I come down with flu-like symptoms even with a mild weight workout--but no problems with walking for 40-50 minutes uphill to break a mild sweat.  My internist Dr.'s response has been: "I don't know what to say!"

As I write this, I am recovering from this "flu" after some weight workout which was more strenuous than previous episodes but was slower to give me the symptoms in a different form.  Looking back to the changes I have made over the last few months it dawned on me that those changes may be the reason for the altered and slower symptoms.  Here they are:

Baking Soda:  It is common-knowledge that heavy exercise produces more acidic conditions in your body, such as lactic acid production.  I took 1/8 of tea-spoon of baking soda (Arm & Hammer)--NOT BAKING POWDER which is toxic--before the exercise and the same amount after the exercise to alkalize the body.  This is nothing new, but no one mentioned it on this site.  I think this is the main reason I did not get sick in my stomach the way I used to in previous times.  You may try larger amounts, but check with your doctor if you also suffer from low stomach acid.

Chinese herbs such Rehmannia - Rehmannia is a standard herb to build your kidney yin.  I get it at China Town here in Los Angeles, and for a month I made and drank a tea everyday.  Kidney yin deficiency can have many symptoms including lower back pain which I have had for a decade now.  As you all know your kidney and liver are the primary organs for removing toxins from your body.  If you have access to good Chinese herbal doctors, it is better to consult one to see if you suffer from such yin-yang imbalances, rather than self-diagnosing or self-medicating.  

Sea Salt:  In an effort to eat "healthy," I practically cut out salt from my diet over the last few years and switched to Liquid Amino when I had to have salt.  Big mistake.  I started to get heat exhaustion on hot summer days.  A few months ago, I started to take about a tea-spoon of good quality sea salt.  According to Chinese medicine, sea salt helps build up your kidney yin.  By the way, too much protein in your diet also weakens your kidney yin--anyone for lots of those high protein drinks or foods over a long time to build muscle mass?

Vitamin D3:  I had been taking a table spoon of cod liver oil for the last few years, but it has more vitamin A than D3.   So a few months ago I began to take reformulated cod liver oil which had a lot more vitamin D3 than A.  Someone mentioned earlier on this site the possible significance of vitamin D for this problem.

Probiotics: I have tried several different probiotics over the last few years, including Dr. Ohhira's and Nature's Way for several months each, but have not noticed any difference.  Last September, I began to make my own sauerkraut and I am taking it every day, 1/8 of a cup twice a day with my meals.  Normally, you need to take probiotics for 5-6 months to see any lasting effects; so I am surprised that someone reported on this site he experienced radical results within a few days!  One lucky dude!

I do not know which one of these changes accounts more for my improvements.  A few months ago, I tried some weight work out, after almost a year off, with so little weights that I did not even get muscle aches next day; but yet I got sick in my stomach after the exercise and got the flu symptoms starting the next day.  This time, a week ago, I increased the weight and did it only for 10-15 minutes each day for five days before falling ill.  I did get muscle aches the next day but hardly noticeable any nasal inflammation or other symptoms.  So, I decided to continue a few more days to see how it turns out.  Nasal congestion and throat irritation got more noticeable over the next four days, but no stomach or digestive problems this time.  Finally after the fifth day, I got a sore throat and congested sinus and had to stop, but it took five days this time to get the head-symptoms rather than just one day.

A Few More Thoughts:

Regarding iodine which was mentioned by someone else on this site, I had been already taking liquid supplements for four years.  It definitely improved my tolerance of cold weather, and made my extremities feel warmer.  But I have not noticed any effect on this issue.

Someone also mentioned earlier here something about the involvement of the lymphatic system in this issue, and I think that it is well worth following up on.  Someone even earlier reported "euphoric" feelings after a lymphatic massage.  This makes a lot of sense as a way of helping expel toxins from your body, which in turn lowers the burden on your immune and glandular systems.  I can think of two other ways of cleaning your lymphatic system, which is more cost effective and more practical.

First, skin-brushing:  I was doing this in late 1990's, and I will start doing it right away to see if it helps.  But, I do not expect this to yield results over night.  It probably would take at least a few weeks before one can judge the result.

Second, Castor oil pack:  I tried this about 3.5 years ago, but unfortunately I did not try weight workouts at that time as I was doing the walking for 5-6 days a week only.  For more information on Castor oil packs go to http://www.edgarcayce.org/health/database/health_resources/castor_oil_packs.asp.  This is a messy process, and would take a couple of hours to prepare, implement, and clean up afterwards.  But, when I did it the first couple of rounds (a round is 3 nights of Castor oil pack followed by 4 nights off), I felt euphoric the day after the 3rd night of Castor oil pack.  This is credited with the ability of the Castor oil to cleanse your lymphatic system and your liver.  I hope that some brave soul out there would try this and report back the results.  I am too lazy now to try this, so I will try the skin brushing first.

I hope that my posting would help some of you, and I am looking forward to reading your inputs as you try new things out.  Good luck to you all.
I've had this "flu" problem for several years. I'm really allergic and take lots of allergy pills and stuff.

I asked my allergy doctor if she had any good advice to counteract the problem of getting really ill after exercise and she adviced med to take an extra anti-histamine two hours before working out. I am now trying this out, but so far it seems it is not really doing the trick for me. Worth trying though if you are allergic and have this problem.

Do check that you're not allergic if you have this problem. That could certainly be the reason for getting a flu-type reaction you when working out.

I will certainly try the pro biotic approach, as it is so depressing not to be able to work out the way you want to.

/Katalin
I thought I was being stupid even typing in "flu-like symptoms after exercise", thinking that really it must all be in my head, but when this popped up I was delighted! I'm 29, and used to be fairly active; martial arts, walking everywhere, etc. Even when I had to quit the Taekwon-do due to ligament damage, I joined a gym and worked out a good amount and never suffered "colds". Fast-forward 2yrs and an absence of real exercise for a year, (messy break-up, no-one to mind kids etc) and now my youngest has started pre-school so I finally have a few hours to myself. I joined the gym, and was delighted to get back into working-out again, but started getting head-cold symptoms a few hours after training. I thought maybe it was allergies, but I took my anti-histamines and it doesn't help. Plus, I know how my body responds to allergies (I have enough of them!) and it's different to this. I don't get the aching, or the headaches, or fatigue that a lot of you have described, just sore throat, runny/itchy nose, sneezing,and slightly swollen glands. The first couple of times I didn't even connect it to the exercise, but I've just had a break of about 10days, and went back in again yesterday and today and the symptoms started last night; that's not a coincidence! I take a strong multivitamin daily and have a protein shake straight after my workout, and drink at least 2liters of water a day. I'll try the probiotics but really they sound like more for the fatigue side of things? I really want to push on regardless with my training, as I'm finally getting fit again, but I'm torn now between whether these symptoms mean I'm damaging my body or if it's something I'll get over?
hi again everyone. in the couple of months i havent been posting ive tried many things. ive completely rehashed my workout routine a few times, allowing for longer rest periods etc, ive now got into the habit of stopping workouts when i realise im not fully recoverd from previous sessions etc annoying in the short term but ive got past the mental block of needing to destroy myself every session.lol. tried the probiotics, even cut out the protein supplements for a while too. sadly i must report that whilst all of this kept me feeling pretty good for a few consecutive weeks, today i had to stop my cross fit session after one round (when i would normally manage four on that particular routine) and thats after what for me is a relatively short session yesterday, just 12 minutes of intervals and nothing else. sadly im feeling **** again now, just had no energy. as soon as i started i knew it was going this way. got to the second round and just about managed 6 reps on the first exercise, which is appalling by my standards at that particular weight. i just couldnt carry on. i really have ran out of options, short of just not exercising at all. whihc isnt an option as im looking for work as a fitness instructor. now that i think about it, i also didnt bother with my heavy legs session on friday as i was starting to feel a bit like this towards the end of last week, and i was even taking it relatively easy for several days before that! three weeks of being my old self and here we are again. yes, i realise this is more of rant than anything helpfull to you lovely people. but its safe to say im well and truly pissed about this now.
PROBIOTICS DID NOT WORK.  

I've had this problem since working out before my teens and ever since.  It's not just limited to workouts but also skiing, biking, dancing etc.  I've done it all, the vitamins, the probiotics, juicing, meditating, rest, rehydrating or drinking while exercising, B-12 shot, acupuncture, Reiki, massage, stretching before during and after exercise, hot tubbing, saunas, not exercising, progressive movement into exercise regimens etc.  NOTHING helped, doctors sure didn't.  I finally ended up with incurable, advanced caner and an undiagnosable neurological illness that caused a brain stem stroke.  Not joking.  Good luck all.
After five or six mile hikes during which we do not stop to rest on the trail I generally become so cold deep inside - with sometimes my skin being warm but I am very cold (sort of like having a fever when you are cold but you are hot) and have discovered if I get in a very hot bath tub of water and soak until my internal body temperature comes up I am then fine again... back to normal.   But I really would like to know what causes it...and yes, it feels a lot like the flu... Try the hot bathtub trick, at least for me it works.  I started it our of defense - I could not warm up without the hot water bath.

I do not have the world's best stamina and have always been rather delicate...but I keep keeping on and often feel like I am a pain in the butt to stronger people...nonetheless I particpate in the hiking/walking groups
  I'm just like everyone else who has posted. I'm 37, more of a Ectomorph body type. I've been working out on and off since my youth with pretty much the same result. I usually get sick or really tired. I think I have the right cure for me at least. Look at your labels on your food first and foremost. I use to eat canned tuna for protein and got headaches and foul smelling urine. It ended up being the phosphates the industrial food manufacturers. I switched to canned Salmon with no phosphates and had no issues and felt better.
     Also I stay away from red meat as well. It caused bad body odor and a feeling of heaviness and general un-wellness. Before working out I eat something. After working out I eat something. In fact I eat generally bland foods and stay away from acidic stuff like coffee and soda and spicy foods. So lots of chicken, salmon, rice. Lots of vegetables. I eat organic peanut butter or almond butter. I use only extra virgin Olive Oil. I eat oranges and fresh spinach, green pepper once and awhile. I generally stay away from bread all together except whole wheat with no high fructose corn syrup in it. I drink only organic milk even though I am somewhat lactose intolerant. I stay away from sugar. I mean I really stay away from sugar! That stuff kills you. Maybe some honey here and there but no white sugar at all. No candy except for a very small amount. No chocolate, none. I make sure I'm keeping this diet before I even work out for a least three weeks ahead. Lots of water but not to much that my minerals get depleted. I take fish oil but only the mercury free kind. I take lots of Vitamin C and a normal dose of D. If I start feeling any twinge of sickness I take extra C. I do take Zinc and some iron here and there. I usually take the Zinc when I start feeling run down as I think to much will get you ill but just enough will get you through. I keep salt in my diet and do have sea salt in my house. I tend to stay away from eggs to for whatever reason. Some research recommends raw eggs for easier digestion and I'll try that down the line but not just yet.
   Also stay far far far away from fast food. The oil that have is usually rancid and corn oil for me usually gets me sick anyways. I eat alot and relax alot and stay away from stressfull thinking. I force myself to got to bed early and wake up late on weekends so I get 8 hours of good sleep at least. I do sometimes wake up and eat some protein and then go back to bed. I've done this without whey protein but when I do take some it's the whey protein isolate which has no fillers, lactose or wheat gluten. I use to use regular protein but nearly went to the hospital when it's irritated my digestive system badly. The isolate is much better for me. Good luck everyone.
I beleive we just have weak constitutions and need to experiment until we find the right foods and right amount of exercise that works.   Too much exercise sets us back, not enough we get unhealthy as well.  I know what caused mine and I've learned to take care of myself pretty well... but this getting fever like hot/cold after fast paced, non-stop hikes has me puzzeled... there must be a true physical explanation for it but God knows asking doctors questions never works... they seem to know nothing outside of anything they've been taught in books.

For about 7 years, I've noticed after exercising to the point of feeling really good, like I'm really working-out, I tend to get very tired and become sick with a cold/sinus infection within the next day or so. Also, afer my workout, that eveningm I'll notice my muscles will spasm. After working with a personal trainer, I learned it's very important to eat the amount of colories your body needs, 2000 for women if your active, and not being underfat, and being at an ideal body weight. I've also learned to give my body 2 days of rest per week. Eventhough I have exercised for most of my life, I've learned that when I try something new, I have to start at a very low level and work my way up, increasing duration or intensity of my workout to no more that 10% per week. I really have to listen to my body. Everytime I don't, I get sick. If you're strength training, be sure to eat plenty of protie. I also eat a snack 1 hour before my workout, usually nuts and raisens. Immediately after my workout, I'll have whey protien and banana, then a half sandwhich about and hour later. You have to make sure your muscles have gycogen before work out and get resored within 1.5 hours after your workout. I hope this helps. One of my M.D.'s suggested eating a lower glycemic diet, which has helped tremendously.. I would try to follow nutrition guide found in book "New Strength Training Rules For Women". Hope this helps!
Hi all,

I am glad to find this forum because I have these issues too!  I have been a lifelong "exerciser", but delayed reaction (12-24hrs) headaches have been my usual response.  I have always thought that it was because I had "a bad neck" and was holding tension during the exercise.  Seems that no matter what I tried, the only way to avoid the headache was to limit the intensity of my workout.

I have "the flu" today, and after feeling this way three times now in the past few months, I am beginning to sense a connection to these symptoms and my exercise, especially my fairly recent introduction of Hot Yoga.  I know that the yoga works the whole body, including the internal organs, and flushes toxins etc.  so I am thinking that this low-grade fever, chills/sweats, whole body aches, especially torso and abdomen (even fingers!) may have something to do with the flushing of toxins.  Once I feel better I am going to get back to the yoga, but will try some of the suggestions I have read about here, especially the Probiotics. I am going to bookmark this post and check back...thanks! (Don't you just love the internet?)
Hello everyone,

Just chiming in because i started having all of these same symptoms about 2 years ago, which was a year after a car accident with a broken neck and 2 strokes. i was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, CFS, and even found out my testosterone levels were very low for some my age. 27. normal rangle is 300-900, mine was 300 last may and 168 this past march. i started testosterone injections 2 months ago. before that i gave up excersize for about a year. but anytime i did any physical activity i would get sick with flu like symptoms. Anyways, i tried excersizing again, slowly and gradually, but ive been getting sicker that before. I stumbled upon a condition about 5 months ago and i believe this may what we all could be suffering from. Its called Myalgic encephylitis. or "ME". its a more advanced version of CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome) but there has been breakthroughs lately. they believe CFS or "ME" is caused by a retrovirus called XMRV. its found it prostate cancer and lymphoma patients. Do some research and let me know what you think. The symptoms i believe will blow you away to how similar it is to all of us. shoot me an email at....Matthew.***@****

thanks and good luck to you all
Also, forgot to add...Ive been on every vitamin, supplement, probiotic, and treatment out there. including massage and acupuncture.
I've been working out with weights for close to 12 yrs now. I never had any issues with working out and the flu like feelings until the last 2 months or so.
I do have lyme and lupus (diagnosed 3 1/2 yrs ago) but I don't think this is the cause.
I'm 2 yrs into getting my cert in Naturopathic medicine and can say probiotics have no bearing on what's going on here.

For me, I think it has everything to do with the release of toxins. There is something called the Herx Reaction which is a common occurance with lyme sufferers who are an antibiotic regime. The abx kill the bacteria which create biotoxins which are then processed by the liver, This causes HORRIBLE fly like symptoms and many other reactions.

I think the flu like senstations after working out could possibly be connected to this.

Here is more info on the Herx Reacion

What is a Herxheimer Reaction?

Overview:
The herxheimer reaction, nicknamed "herx" or otherwise referred to as Jarisch- Herxheimer (J-H) is a phenomena observed in the treatment of syphilis, but later found in other illness. In general terms, it is described as a temporary increase of symptoms when anti-syphilitic drugs (antibiotics) are administered.

Symptoms:
As mentioned, the general description is a temporary increase in symptoms, but also included is the development of new ones. More specifically the most common events include: increased joint or muscle pain, headaches, chills, fever (usually low grade), drop in blood pressure, hives and rash. A multitude of other symptoms have been described.

Worth noting is that hives and rash are sometimes mistaken for an allergic reaction. It is up to one's physician to determine this, but with close observation and the use of medications such as Benadryl often prevents stopping antibiotics prematurely. In more severe cases of J-H a reduction of the dosage or temporarily cessation of the treatment is an alternative.

Timing, Frequency and Duration:
This is individualistic and Herxheimer can occur within days to weeks after the onset of antibiotic therapy. In some patients they occur only once or twice (if at all) and with others continue throughout the course of treatment, usually lessening in severity.

Treatment:
Herxheimer reactions can be very difficult on patients and affect compliance with therapy so supportive measures should be sought or utilized to lessen discomfort if needed. The use of aspirin, NSAIDs (non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs), pain medication, muscle relaxers, hot baths or others remedies can be appropriate. Of note, some have found Benedryl helpful even in the absence of rash or hives.

The good news is that the herxheimer is thought to indicate that the antibiotics are indeed working and that following each worsening may bring about more improvement. However the lack of herxheimer reaction should not cause anxiety if symptoms are improving.

Mcahoun, you create have created an interesting point with regards to XMRV, i will ask my doctor if i can get tested for this virus asap.  
  I stumbled accross a very pasty website:

http://www.mamashealth.com/runinjury/anaphylaxis.asp

States that yuo shouldn't eat certain foods before during or after strenious exercise.

The comment earlier about a lack of creatine or enzyme to do with creatine is also a possible factor.... i was wondering if someone could put together a list of possible causes of this condition (obviously we don't know what it is but) it would be informative to give this list to my physician to see what they think about testing.

Kind regards and i look forward to seeing future posts

JD
This is amazing - this conversation has lated 4 years!  It's nice to know that I'm not alone in this.  My friends think I'm a hypochondriac because I swear I get sick after going to the gym.  I haven't noticed it so much with outdoor exercise, but more specifically going to the gym after an absence, within 2 days I have a "low grade" cold (sore throat, fatigue, sniffles, foggy mind etc.).  I hate it.  Will try some of the suggestions on this site, and will make a few of my own.  Note, that even though many of us share the same symptoms, it is also possible that we don't all share a singular cause.  I wish someone (i.e. doctor, biologist, etc.) would research this.  

- re: PROBIOTICS- not sure if they work but will try.  Note - many companies sell probiotics, but all are not created equal. I've read that if the bacteria are to stay alive (and benficial to you) they must be refrigerated - i.e. they must be refrigerated in the store you buy them from, and you must keep them refridgerated at home.

- Conisder ADRENAL FATIGUE -  or similar diseases as mentioned by others (chronic fatique, thyroid issues, etc.).  When your adrenals are taxed, strenuous exercise can actually make you worse.  

- Consider seeing a NATUROPATH - a good one will treat you with respect and look at how all your organs and systems work together, and won't dismiss possible illnesses that modern western medical doctors think are ficticious.  Note - not all naturopaths (or any other types of medical practitioners) are created equal.  Anyone who promises that they can cure you of anything is likely a charlatan.

- Consider that you might be PICKING UP A COLD VIRUS AT THE GYM - see http://intent.com/lindalarue/blog/how-avoid-getting-sick-gym .  This might be particularly true of small gyms where people are packed in tightly and those with daycares.
I get extreme fatigue and achy joints 24 hours after heavy exercise.My body feeld so heavy and I feel as if I could just sleep.I don't experience the nausea or other flu-like symptoms.Any thoughts?
Wow! excellent discussion; describes exactly what I have. I will go ahead and try the probiotic and will come back with my results.
Hi everyone,

I work out a lot, run and lift, and never experienced any unusual symptoms until just recently when I decided to add a strenuous arm workout about six weeks ago.  I have been working them to exhaustion and started experiencing flu like symptoms.  After about three weeks I caught on that it was caused by my new intense workout and starting researching the issue on line, this thread confirms my suspicion.

I talked to my brother-in-law today on the symptoms, he is a doctor of Oriental Medicine, Dr of Accupuncture and a black belt in one of the martial arts, and he said that the liver can not keep up with the toxins and lactic acid of such a rigerous work out.  He also mentioned to stay hydrated and keep the electrolytes up, which does not seem to be the problem for most of us.  I will be visiting him in 7 weeks and he will spend more time talking about it to me and suggest some herbs.  I will post when I get back.
I am also very glad I found this site, as I too suffer from these symptoms.  After following some of the leads on this discussion board, I think the answer is what is called a "healing crisis."  Most of us are starting exercise after a respite of months or years.  Exercise can cause all of the toxins and acids to release into our systems and while our bodies try to rid themselves of the toxins, we have these symptoms.  The answer seems to lie in changing our diets, drinking lots of fluids, and not freaking out at the symptoms.  I recently started doing lots of yoga (before I mostly ran and lifted weights) and hadn't exercised in about a year and it seems that yoga really gets the toxins flowing.  I think maybe in the long run it's a good thing.  Of course we are all different, so this is probably not the case for everyone.

Search: healing crisis and exercise, etc.

Thanks for all the great ideas!! =)
I have finally found the answer to stop my flu like symptoms after exercise,the obvious one was that i try to keep warm and have a hot  shower afterwards but the tip that was given to me by a guy in my local health shop was L-Carnitine. Ever since ive been on it,no problems,i can exercise every day now.really happy.ps: ive always taken probiotics, they help with my gut but no real difference on the flu like symptoms.anyhow i hope this helps anyone out there,kim australia
Interesting topic.
I have flu-like symptoms some hours after ejaculation (not a joke). I think there is a link with adrenal glands and cortisol (The extreme case, Addison's disease can cause severe flu-like symptoms during stress, even to the death.)
If I make exercice during this time, I have few energy, foggy brain and I have hypoglycemia and some symptoms as JMac101 described.

Thank you KMP1967 for your experience with L-Carnitine. If you are more details, I'm interested.

By using "Flu-like symptoms after exercise" keywords in google, I just saw there a lot of topics on this subject !
Me too! My brother has a genetic disorder where he produces no cortisol... they tested me too but after a bunch of inaccurate tests they concluded that I was just a genetic carrier. My whole life, I have gotten extremely sick from working out, flu like symptoms, so tired it hurts, and unable to regenerate for days, this has also inflicted me emotionally as my mind goes into a constant rush of random thoughts, and my physical shape simply *****.

You too experience lower back pain? A symptom of exhausted adrenal glands, people that work out too hard, or suffer from much anxiety, and/or use medication for hypothyroidism (natural variations do not count) experience this.

There are many ways to cure this, some work, some work for some, some do not:
-Yoga and meditation (personally I am too scrambled in my mind to do this at regular basis)
-Relaxation hypnosis, sounds scary? Its okay, in fact it wont even work if you are scared, try out paul mckenna cheap on ebay, free on pirat... ive said enough...
-Get a doctor to check you out and prescribe you hydrocortison or something similar
-Stop working out at the very moment symptoms start, it wont get much better on its own, so rest rest rest, or totally mess your adrenal glands out (which totally *****).

These doctor bastards! I was given adhd medication ritalin, which helps a bit then leaves me 10 times worse! I told them to take the tests "meh too expensive" they told me, I insisted but the old ******* laughed and said "dont worry just start working out daily and the pain will go away" I worked out for 2 weeks until I could not get up, until everything kept spinning around each time I tried (not succeeded) to get up.

(ritalin increases the production of cortisol, yet eventually tiring the glands out more, causing these "mysterious" heart attacks ritalin is so infamous for, it happens quite rarely actually...)

I bought some hydrocortison on-line (how the toll didnt get it and bust me is a miracle), and it works so well I for the first time in my life feel well, and not well because I am on some ritalin drug rush, just perfectly fine, I keep tapering off as I simply could not believe something I tried out of desperation works so well...

My diabetes is almost gone? After 26 years with constant hypoglycemia after the slightest working out? Where the hypoglycemia would crash into a high as hell bloodsugar completely draining my body of its natural sugars and forcing me to eat so much candy (to stay awake and alive) I actually gain weight from working out?

While I have been investigating this for a lifetime, this post saved my life guys, thanks a lot! Ill keep using these pills (until I have no idea where to get more), and start my life all over again, no more mr. "great student before but seems to get more distracted for each day", no more "dismiss this soldier because he started out fine but wont get up from bed any more", no more this guy does not have adhd, but give him whatever drugs keeps him working for a couple of hours a week. No more "this guy has anxiety all day but holds out in class, just dont speak to him or he will cover his ears and whisper: sound too loud... pain...

Indeed I have no adhd, chances I have the same as my brother where 85 percent, and  none of the tests where conclusive so mr doctor æss decided it was too expensive to try again.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEES! I AM FINALLY FREE FROM THE SHACKLES OF NO PHYSICAL NOR MENTAL ENERGY! THESE PILLS HAVE REALLY BEEN WORKING! WOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Ps:Long post, sorry, you see my life has truly changed with hydrocortison, and thanks to this post (thanks mr masturbator) I can finally start training and studying again knowing that the energy I miss is in the pills I am taken! No more sitting around for decades to feel well, and get motivated only to fail yet again.

How happy I am? I could have kept typing for the damn 26 years I have been struggling! (I am 26 and a day!)
I posted back in May 13th, 2010 about getting flu-like symptoms the day after exercising. I would get very hungry the night after moderate exercise, would not be able to sleep, or would wake up starving after 1 am. Would be lethargic the next few days and would end up catching a sinus infection. Also, I found I would be muscle cramps and had to eat a high protien, not many refined foods, diet. After seing doctors for 8 years, I finally saw an endocrinologist who listened to me. Eventhough my TSH levels were considered in the "normal" range for most primary care physicians, my endocrinologist told me that above 3.0 was considered subclinical hypothryoidism. He performed a scan on my thyroid and found it has bubbles all over it and he said my thyroid doesn't function properly. He started me on a small dose of Levoxyl. After some adjustments, I have found that I feel incredible! I can not eat normally and exercise until I physically wear out and not get sick. So, I strongly suggest to go see and Endocrinologist even if your primary doctor tells you that your levels are normal. Have them do a SCAN of your thryroid. I have thyroiditis, so my levels go up and down, so it can be difficult to catch. Take it first thing in the morning, fasting. Good luck! I am so thankful to be back to myself again!!! Oh, I tried probiotics, didn't help one bit.
After reading this blog, it seems to me there are at least 3 ways to classify this syndrome   First, is it acute or chronic?  Second, is the onset immediate or delayed?  And third, does it involve the upper respiratory tract or are the symptoms more generally "flu-like".

Here's my story:

I'm a 43-year old caucasian male, 5' 9", 165 lbs, with a muscular body.  I have exercised all my adult life.  In my early twenties I exercised hard nearly every day.  But starting in my late twenties, when I had less time, my exercise became more sporadic, perhaps 2-3 times a week.  And in later years there have been times when I've gone a month without exercising much at all.

This last winter was the first winter that I did very little cardio, just an elliptical a couple times a week (which to me doesn't feel much like exercise). Then in the spring I got back into running and biking and felt pretty good.  But this summer, due to a move, I did nothing for 6 weeks.

Last week I got back on my bike and rode 3 times, about 12 miles the first couple times, then a hard 25 miler.  I told myself to take it easy, but I can never follow this advice.

Even though I did not feel very fit last week on my bike rides, I felt fine afterward.  This week I went for a 3-mile run, the first run I've done since late July.  I felt pretty ragged, so I kept it down to 85% intensity.

The next day I decided to go for another bike ride, just to loosen up the legs.  Well, it turned into a 75-minute high-intensity workout.

When I got home, I had to decide what to eat.  All I had available was salad and one of those frozen turkey dinners, about 20 grams of protein.  By the time I got my shower and got my food prepared, it was almost an hour and a half after my exercise, and I was feeling very weak.  Every bite of turkey felt like heaven, because my body was craving protein.  Normally, I would eat a big chicken burrito after such a workout, and I should have on this day.  

After my meal, I started getting the symptoms that so many people have mentioned here:  fever, chills, a deep achiness, but no throat symptoms.  

This is not the first time this has happened to me.  Twice, when I was 41 or 42 I experienced this after running on hot days.  But I run a lot on hot days.  After the second time, I thought about it, it occurred to me that both times I had done something unusual:  I had taken ibuprofen before my run, to preempt muscle ache.  So the next time I went running, I made sure it was on a hot day and that I didn't taken any ibuprofen.  The result:  No problem.  And I have not had a problem in the last 18 months, until 2 days ago.

This time I did not take any ibuprofen (I rarely take any pain reliever any more), so I can't blame it on that.  And this time the effects were much more severe.  I slept a fitful, feverish sleep, and woke up feeling like hell.  The achiness had subsided somewhat, but I began to experience pretty severe abdominal distress.  All day long yesterday, I dealt with bouts of stomach cramping.  At times it felt like someone  punched me in the stomach.  Even last night, as I was trying to go to sleep, I would be overcome with stomach cramping and have to turn on my side until it passed.

Today I feel fine.  No symptoms whatsoever.

So what to make of it?  Well, for starters, it's probably some kind of acute toxic reaction.  But the fact that it never happened before age 41 does suggest there might be an age component.  To complicate things further, the last few years I've been working out later than my body like (6:00-7:00 vs 3:00-5:00).  So that could be part of the reason I've never experienced this until recently, though I more suspect age, and I think age ties in with what is the primary factor in my situation, which I will now explain.  

I mentioned that I had gone on a run the day before--for the first time in several weeks.  I know from past experience that when I don't run for a few weeks, and then go out for a long one, my legs are going to be sore.  A lot of damage has to get repaired.  And damage means toxins.

My legs weren't extremely sore (yet) when I went on my bike ride, but the toxins had to be there in my muscles from the day before.  And when I rode for 75 minutes, I must have pumped them out into my bloodstream.  Note that I had ridden 75 minutes the week before, but suffered no ill effects.

So here's what I think.  I think the fact that I had not run in 7 weeks and then went on a 3-mile run led to the maximum load of toxins being deposited in my thighs and calves.  This probably would not have posed such a challenge to my system if I had waited another day or two before exercising vigorously again.  I also think that in my younger years my liver and kidneys would have dealt with the extra toxic load, but they're not as efficient as they used to be (too many years and beers). I also think the lateness of my workout, the delay of my meal, and the scarcity of protein could have contributed (admitting that protein digestion does place a load on the the kidneys).

At any rate, I'm not concerned about this becoming a chronic condition for me.  The fact that it has happened now 3 times, and that all 3 times there have been challenges to my liver and kidneys (removal of the normal toxins that result from exercise, the additional processing of ibuprofen the first 2 times, and the additional processing of a large deposit of toxins leftover from a previous workout the 3rd time), suggests to me that I need to be a bit more aware of my body's condition before I workout really hard.

I think my experience is a good example of the acute case of this condition.  And I have already suggested ways that it might be mitigated--mainly, avoid hard exercise for a few days after that first workout in a long time.  Once the muscles are toned again, I don't think it's such an issue.  Also, really good hydration during (after is too late) the follow-up exercise session would probably be protective.

As for the chronic case, I'm not sure the answers are so easy.  I think the cause may be much the same--an overload of toxins that the body must process.  But some people may be handicapped in the amount of toxins they can process at any one time.  By the way, I want to say here that I noticed a lot of talk about the toxins that have built up in our bodies, and the fact that exercise flushes these into the bloodstream.  To be sure, we carry around a burden of toxins in our fat reserves, from our food and environment.  But the magnitude of these pales in comparison to what is created and released in one fell swoop by the simple act of exercising--all the lactic acid and cytokines.  Also, I'm not buying the probiotic argument.  I think exercise-generated toxins are the key.

Several people mentioned late onset of these symptoms, as late as a few days after the exercise session.  Also, several mentioned upper respiratory effects, such as sore throat.  Both of these suggest to me a deeper challenge to the body than just the immediate processing of toxins.  The toxins may be the straw that breaks the camel's back, but there must be some underlying immunity limitations.  That is, I think it's clear from my own experience that you can experience a pretty severe flu-like reaction without actually getting "sick", as in down with a cold for several days.

Well, I hope this helps someone out there.  Reading this blog helped me, if only to distinguish my acute (and I hope it stays that way) reaction from what appear to be more chronic reactions.  I would suggest any remedy that helps the liver or kidneys more efficiently process the toxins that result from vigorous exercise.  In fact, I've taken a new interest in liver aids.

Good luck to all.

As a follow up to my last post:

Apparently liver aids are snake oil.  The only bona fide liver aid seems to be a healthy diet, and the usual vitamin supplements.
every time i do weight lifting i start snessing and have a cold like system dont know wye
So glad I found this - my teen kids and I have had this. Regular exercise is fine, but we get sick after intense sessions. Woke up with a sore throat today - intense session was day before yesterday, but then an hour hike in hills yesterday and probably not enough hydration after. Also found this about Herx:

http://www.rmaxinternational.com/flowcoach/?p=33

Will try probiotics and L-Carnitine. Next time, will also try his suggestions in link above. Good luck, everyone!
I started working out strenously yesterday and low and behold, I am sick.  I thought I was the only one.  I even have a low-grade fever with chils, aches, headache, NO energy.  I feel like some of you when you say it feels like you take 10 steps back.  I take probiotics, multi-vitamins, eat right... I hope I can find something that works.
According to a report in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, the average person is exposed to 63-70 toxic substances each day though diet alone.  The body stores toxins in fat cells away from vital organs.  Flu-like symptoms are the result of detoxing. Every time you burn fat stored in or around a muscle you release toxins.  This can happen to people in great shape too.  If you push your workout, you are producing a lot of lactic acid and ash.  Combine that with the release of toxins and you will feel sick.  

I had all these problems plus Diabetes 2, CFS, Vertigo, periodontal disease, PMS, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, uncontrollable weight gain, acid reflux, IBS, daily migraines and no energy.

I changed my eating habits and now I am free of all these things.  I have more energy now than I know what to do with.  Your body can heal itself overtime.  The key is to nourish your body with micornutrients and cleanse it everyday. Stay away from processed foods and non-organic foods.  Also stay clear of dairy, gluten, sugar, artificial sweeteners. Never eat any GMO foods.

Regarding probiotics:  The stuff in yogurt is useless. Yogurt is pasteurized which means all the enzymes needed to digest yogurt is killed off so the body responds by producing mucus because it sees all pasteurized dairy as a virus.   The best kind of Probiotics to get is encased in apple-pectin which protects it through the digestive tract.  Probiotics are great and you need about 5lbs of it to have a healthy digestive tract.  80% of your immune system comes from your digestive system.  You also need Prebiotics which feed Probiotics.  Take both and you will feel a definite difference.

Email me for more info.  It takes time, but you can be well again and enjoy exercise and an active lifestyle.
I've been searching for websites posting information on this many times. I'm also glad I came across this one. I have been struggling with getting sick after work-outs too. It usually only happens when I do a lot of cardio and jogging. When I do mostly weight/resistance training, I don't have it as much. I will get a cold or flu within a week from starting my exercise regimen. Right now, I'm running a fever with body aches and I just started training on my elliptical + jogging outside a week ago.
It is very frustrating to get sick every time I'm determined to get in shape. I eat healthy: lots of fruits & veggies, salads with chicken, whole grains... I will not let myself get hungry before work-outs. I also take food-based multivitamins and drink plenty of water. Staying away from alcohol too. I just don't get it! I will try to take a pro-biotic regularly too. I know of one which is very good. You can buy it at the pharmacy over-the-counter but you have to ask the pharmacist, as they keep it in the fridge. The best pro-biotic is one that is refrigerated, because this way the cultures stay fresh and won't die. One such brand is Lactinex. I gave it to my cat in the past on vet's orders because he was having anal redness (a kind of yeast infection) due to long-term antibiotic use.
Right now I am taking immunoglobulin to improve my resistance. It does help in shortening the illness. Also, zinc supplements and grapefruit seed extract help a lot. I just don't want to take it all the time. With grapefruit seed extract, which acts as an antibiotic, you have to be careful with long-term use, because just like regular antibiotics, it can deplete the good bacteria in your intestinal tract and therefore compromise your immunity. Take pro-biotics after use and certainly DON'T take grapefruit seed extract with prescribed antibiotics. Hope this info is helpful. I will now follow my own advise and hope to get better in a few days. I will update on my progress.
Here is my update as promised. I told you on Monday, 10/4/10 that I was getting sick after working out for about a week. I developed a fever of 100.6 that day, had body aches & head ache. The next morning, I woke up with a fever of 100.7. I continued taking all the supplements I started the day before and felt better at night. The next day, on Wednesday, I was feeling normal again. Don't know if this is due to all the things I took, but I believe they certainly helped. I took the following: Immunotix 3-6 and Immunoglobulin (recommended by a holistic doctor a year ago), grapefruit seed extract, Multidophilus (a pro-biotic) and Oil of Oregano (1 drop in water).
I now will continue to take the first two supplements to prevent getting sick again and I am resuming my exercise program and we'll see what happens. I will also keep taking the pro-biotics. I will post another update in a few weeks.

I'm so grateful that I actually found this post.  For about 5 years now, I too have been experiencing flu-like symptoms after getting about 10 good workouts in. Then I find that I have to rest for about two weeks while I get over my "flu".

I strongly believe it has to due with high toxin levels because this feels exactly the same (though at a lesser acuteness) as I did when I did a detoxification.  Fever, chills, inability to stay warm, muscle aches, etc. etc.

Another reason why I feel it's related to toxin levels is that my wife -- a sedentary person her whole life -- is currently experiencing the same symptoms after a week of good workouts.  Her tests came back negative for flu or strep throat.  

So I'm going to look at milk thystle therapy and drinking 2-3 liters of water per day and I may just pick up a sports drink soon.

Thanks to everyone!!!

And yes, this post was quite helpful. http://www.rmaxinternational.com/flowcoach/?p=33
I have had these problems for quite a while (5 years +). Feeling odd and achy after exercise and not being able to rest properly. Sleep a problem, flu symptoms etc. I think I agree with LAonline. I noticed that eating sugar and drinking caffeine or alcohol set off the symptoms that I was getting after exercise. I cut out sugar (yep, even fruit), booze and caffeine from my diet and noticed a real difference in quite a short time. It has been gradual, but I can now exercise quite strenuously (2-3 hours tennis) and feel almost as I used to before the flu-like symptoms started, although if I really go for it I feel things starting off again, but nowhere near as bad as previously. Tried loads of doctors, no good advice and very little interest - not even a hint that it might be diet related. Loads of pills offered tho'!!! I don't take any supplements but have just altered what I eat and try to manage stress (which I also think affects things). Gradually, I have reintroduced fruit into diet but not too much. Hope this helps. Be strict on SUGAR would be my advice - cut it out and be patient and see what happens.
I have had this problem since I was a teenager.  I found out that if I exercise for about 4 hours, as in digging up a bush until I cannot walk, or doing a race walk in the morning and race walking later in the afternoon, I get hard chills, then a respiratory ailment.  One time I got bacterial pneumonia and almost died.  I haven't gotten seriously ill since I started Synthroid at 40, but I still get sinusy things that go into my lungs.  Years ago, I read that when the muscles get hot, the white blood cells may dive into the stressed muscles to fight in certain people, leaving no white blood cells in the arteries and veins to fight infection, and leaving you open to illness.  One time after I read that, when I got the hard chills I put a lot of clothes on, turned up the temperature and climbed under a pile of blankets until I was hot.  That time, I did not get sick at all.  My problem now is that once I get into great shape, something happens and I get sick, then get no exercise while I fight the whatever.  For me it is being very careful to get 8 hours of sleep a night, and not getting physically or mentally stressed.  Another thing that makes me very sick quickly is heavy emotional stress, and I get stressed very easily, maybe because thyroid patients seem to be more sensitive.  I would like to get into great shape, told my latest doctor about my problems, and last week my doctor gave me antihistamines, so I will see how they help.  I never seem to get sick when hiking or skiing to excess in fresh, clean air, although I may feel rundown for months afterwards.
Does anyone else have to clear their throats continually?

Also, has anyone else been vaccinated for Lymes Disease?

So happy I found this post.  I did a very intense interval training workout (all bodyweight exercises and cardio) 2 days ago and the very next day woke up with a sore throat.  Today my throat is still very sore and I feel like I've been hit by a truck.  I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one because when I tell my friends they all think I'm crazy.  This always happens to me when I do an intense workout and it's frustrating because all these fitness professionals tell you that you're not going to see results unless you push hard and power through the pain.  But every time I do I end up getting sick and then I'm forced to take it easy for a week.  How can you be consistent when you're constantly taking a week to recover?  I can't help but think that moderate intensity is the way to go for people like us?
So I took a Myriad of Probiotics over the last month and it did not help at all.
Hi. Flu-like symptoms after exercise could be fatigue resulting from a collapsed state of body homeostatis (balance). During exercise, the body uses our energy reserves for energy expenditure. However, with prolonged exercise, dehydration, lactic acid accumulation and electrolyte imbalance develop, making the body weak and skin warm. It is therefore important to keep your body hydrated and nourished with proper food and exercise pacing. Like any other B-vitamins, lysine may help support collagen synthesis, immune cell production and L-carnitine, which converts stored food into energy. However, I suggest that you ask fitness experts for proper fitness strategies, and doctors to clear your health from danger during or after exercise. Thanks for asking.
i too feel like I awaken a flu virus after each run. its like i'm perfectly healthy and then i haphazardly come down with a flu immediately after a run. I don't think so. It is like a herpes outbreak, it comes out when one is immunosupressed, but instead of herpes its like a rhinovirus. It starts off strong, with a 1 minute incubation period a lot of sneezing and a steady stream of mucus clear and slimey like a sieve, which is usually doesn't indicate infection. lots of sinus pressure.. then after you have sneezed yourself into a bloody nose, then you start to feel it in the bronchi. It could be that both the nasal and lungs are highly irritated by whatever was inhaled. The mucus can turn green for me i'm 5 days into my sickness, and I log it in on my nike website whenever i get this exercise induced rhinitis, usually to check the weather report for allergens that day, it is almost always the case that the report was low. I think the temperature is also a factor because this didn't start until fall. The reason I think it is a virus is that i take probiotics, and even take the sinus and allergy meds and they don't help!
oh yes I forgot to mention the body aches and fever.. sux... I'm so scared to end the run because I know that is when the sneezing starts.
Are you guys sure it's an actual fever that you're getting. Do you actually check your temp to confirm it's a fever?

Maybe the combination of anxiety, fatigue, and soreness is what it really is.

Hi!

Naturally I'm suffering from the same symptoms as everyone else here, after a hard work out!

Just wondering that this convo has been going on now for numerous YEARS and still no one has found a solution????!!! Clearly it's not uncommon.. just find it strange that no doctor can find an answer for this??!

These posts have been extremely helpful! I am a 24 year old and have just within the past month been experiencing symptoms of a cold almost immediately after working out.  They generally last for a day or two following my work-out.  About 5 months ago, I started taking 2 new medications and thought that maybe one of those could be contributing to this.

Using other people's suggestions, I did a little research and it turns out that some of the effects of one of the medications include increased potassium (which is closely linked to cortisol levels, as others have suggested that this is a potential cause), decreased testosterone, decreased aldosterone, and increased dehydration.  Turns out the other med is sometimes also used to treat syphillis and has been linked to the herxheimer reaction that others have mentioned.  Since I'm healthy and have never experienced these symptoms until recently, I'm fairly certain this is a side effect of the medication.  I'm esp. concerned about the increased potassium (which rises with cortisol levels) because cortisol weakens the immune system.  It's possible that my cortisol levels are already high and that exercise causes another sudden increase, which depletes my immune system.  Also, potassium is increased during exercise.  

Potassium and Cortisol are related to kidney function, which would maybe explain why some people have suggested that "the release of toxins into the bloodstream" is the problem.  It also helps to maintain electrolyte balance. Potassium also seems to be related to hypoglycemia caused by autoimmune disorders.  

Has anyone:
1) been tested for hyperkalemia (too high potassium levels)?
2) been tested for aldosterone deficiencies?
3) taken the diuretics spironolactone or amiloride? or taken tetracyclines?
4) been tested for low levels of testosterone?
5) been treated for syphilis or lyme disease? or an autoimmune disorder?
6) noticed that they are more likely to get cold or flu like symptoms if they work out at a certain time of the day?

I appreciate any feedback!
Hi I have had this for about 4-5 years. EXERCISE INTOLERANCE

Pre this I was very fit and athletic. (10k every other day, kick boxing, gym sessions etc) now exercise makes me ill. Sore throats, headachy, sudden flu-like ache, heavy fatique/exhaustion. Sometimes it gets me within an hour of finishing, sometimes I hit a wall whilst training and cannot continue - like someone has pulled an energy plug. Sometimes 2 days later feel so exhausted, sometimes I can get into my training  and after 4-6 weeks feel fluey and am off again.

A lot of what you have described here is how it began with me, mainly sore throats and flu ache soon after exercise. The fatigue, headaches weakness are relatively new symptoms.

Now I can only manage some light yoga like stretching and just 10 mins once a week of resistance which brings on a sore throat. Gentle jogging for twice a week for 20 mins brings on flu and fatigue.

For a long time I believed I had a virus that would surface every time I exercised.

Now I feel like the symptoms are less predictable, a wider variety and are basically evolving. I now have strange occasional symptoms like low blood pressure, low sugar, bouts of vertigo, insomnia, etc etc as well as all of the above.

Having been looking into this for 4 years, I can say the symptoms are very similar to over-training...EXCEPT unlike over training, rest does not make me recover.

I have been tested for everything. My iron and B12 levels are very good.

My doctor believes I have mild CFS (not like the poor people who cannot even get out of bed.) At first I refused to entertain the idea, like many I thought it was made up disease that depressed people get. Now as I have no other solutions I have looked into it, and the research that has gone behind it, and I do believe it probably is what I have got.

No one really knows if it is caused by a virus or just by stress. This is NOT a mental problem, this is a NEUROLOGICAL problem. Stress can be gradual over many years to the point you don't notice you are stressed. Stress can be mental, emotional and physical. Exercise causes stress on your body. The point is is not the stress itself, its how your body now physically now responds to the stress. If you have been exposed to low grade stress for a long time or an instant of acute prolonged stress it can effect you physically. Your body kind of gets resistant to the fight/flight syndrome. You get stuck, and then all your hormone system gets out of whack. This isn't just your sex hormones (ha ha) we are talking your whole metabolic system. This state weakens the immune system, which opens you up to all sorts of nasties. I believe that my immune system is impaired and the lymphatic system is not working as well as it should. Yes the exercise creates toxins in the body and raised cortisol (which is what stressful situations do), and my body cannot deal with it.

Before this I worked hard and played hard. I was very fit, and I loved every minute of it. My favorite relaxation past times were anything that got my heart pumping or gave me an adrenaline rush. Then I got married, had the added pressure of in-laws(!), had 2 babies by emergency caesarean, then 3 major ops in one year, then a load of sinus infections, then a cold that turned into a chest infection that then turned into pleurisy, and that was it. I never really recovered enough to exercise again.

Please don't refuse to entertain the idea of CFS like I did. They say the earlier you are diagnosed, the more likely you are to recover. Just ask yourself, are you a bit hard on yourself? Are you getting frustrated with the exercise intolerance?, are you a creative high achiever? do you worry about the future and think about the past? I think if you really research it and look into it, you will be surprised like me.
I'm thrilled to have found this site.  I've struggled with post ecercise flu like symptoms for 12 years and this is my first encounter with others going through the same thing.  Doctors don't have a clue.  Has anyone gotten any feed back from a neuroligist??
Glad to have found all of you.  I have been dealing with this for 25 years.  It has not gotten worse.  The way I handle it is to gradually increase excercise and not do an extremely hard workout suddenly.  That is almost a guarantee to bring it on.  Other than that, I am at a loss.  I have had these same symptoms if I become overtired or get under extreme stress.  The only thing that makes it go away is REST.  That usually takes 2-3 days.  It has been frustrating, but managable.  I can do middle distance triathlon and long distance cycling.  Runnning seems to bring it out the most, so I have never gone past a 1/2 marathon.
Allergies may the be problem. I also get flu like symptoms after exercises like jogging or riding my road bike. The symptoms start soon after exercising, whether it's a few minutes or a few hours. It usually starts with a scratching throat and then it quickly results in extreme fatigue and congestion. Two weeks ago I got tested for allergies and learned that I'm allergic to mold and dust mites. I know that I have mold in my apartment building and dust mites are a given. I bought an air purifier with a HEPA filter. I've exercised several times since buying the air purifier and have NOT GOTTEN SICK. It has been two weeks. If I learn that it doesn't work I'll post it, but so far so good.

I get this too. I've been diagnosed with permanent Pharyngitis (see this website http://bit.ly/hkCONx).

As you will see on that site, some of the conditions are the same as I get after training:

Fever
Headache
Joint pain and muscle aches
Swollen lymph nodes in the neck

My doctor thinks that the air conditioning in the gym or the change in air temperature when training outside (cool air as my throat dries as I run) may set of the Pharyngitis, which causes the symptoms.

I first got it last year after over exercising in the gym. It started off with an ear infection. The doctors say I will always have Pharyngitis.

Have you all been checked for this?

I also have "Selective immunoglobulin A deficiency" (See this website http://bit.ly/i5NJNj). This means I'm prone to mucus based illnesses, colds and flu. Unless you give blood, it's not picked up by usual doctor based blood tests. As after my 7th lot of anti-biotics last yea,r because of this flu symptom after exercising, I had blood tests and they didn't show up this condition. Only the Blood Donation people spotted it as they are more strict.

Would be interesting to see how many of you may have one or two of the conditions I have mentioned. Would be useful for some doctor to look into this thoroughly and find out what causes it.

Both my conditions aren't noticeable usually, so maybe some of you have them but not really noticed it and simply put it down to a cold or the flu after training.

I did over train last year, doing 3 sessions of 1 hour 45 minutes on Mon, Wed and Fri, Spin classes Tue and Thu, badminton Tue nights and riding my bike to see clients too! I was also NOT eating before going to the gym some mornings.

So I'm going back to the gym today, first time in about 5 months. I've made sure I've had my breakfast, have drunk lots and have had a protein shake BEFORE going, where as I'd have one after previously. I'm also going to go for just 45 minutes for a few months, 3 times a week. Will see how I get on with this.

Good luck all :o)
In answer to Cha42 - Has anyone:
1) been tested for hyperkalemia (too high potassium levels)? yes and levels normal
2) been tested for aldosterone deficiencies? levels low
3) taken the diuretics spironolactone or amiloride? or taken tetracyclines? no
4) been tested for low levels of testosterone? yes, normal
5) been treated for syphilis or lyme disease? or an autoimmune disorder? CFS
6) noticed that they are more likely to get cold or flu like symptoms if they work out at a certain time of the day? no differentiation
Yes - just got all my blood work back from the endocrinologist who was testing me for Addison's Disease - Adrenal Insufficiency. I have ALL the symptoms everyone is speaking about and traditional medicine is clueless and dismissive. BUT my Aldosterone was low as was my WHITE BLOOD CELL COUNT. Here is an interesting angle I have not seen posted. I had tried working out the day before my blood work and ACTH test as my only little "test study" as I have been suspicious of how my body responds after very mild exercise. FORGET the over working out...I am trying to pull off 10 minutes on a slow elliptical. FULL BLOWN FLU symptoms. I am 49 weight 118 and eat pure organic so the toxin issue though plausible doesn't seem to fit me. I have done the probiotic, high grade vitamins including MAGNESSIUM as low levels can lead to symptoms mentioned. NOTHING works long term. SO DOES MY BODY VIEW EXCERICISE AS AN ATTACK AND SOMETHING THE IMMUNE SYSTEM MUST FIGHT...hence the low white cell count?  THIS at least intrigued my GP and we will be running more blood test as ALL prior blood work for past two years did not show a decrease in WBC. ONLY after I exercised did the WBC drop and I mean a lot! What doctors do not know much about and pride gets in the way of their being candid, is the hormone adrenal connection. The medical community will only acknowledge diseases and disorders that a pharmaceutical company has a treatment for. Sorry to sound so cynical but it's all about the money. Want to make a doctors head spiral around...mention ADRENAL FATIGUE. They will only acknowledge adrenal insufficiency if the gold standard ACTH test shows low cortisol. Well my blood work was fine (except the Alderosterone) and I have hypoglycemia, dizziness upon standing, low blood pressure and heart rate, go ice cold "on the inside" of my body including face and eye lids, though skin can feel warm to touch and others times ice cold inside and outside my body.  Leg aches and heaviness, arms too.  ALL these symptoms correlate with low adrenal function. So in desperation I had a 24 hours saliva test through Neuro Science Lab (best around for homeopathic) and my cortisol barely registered on the graph. All this to say, read up on Adrenal Insufficiency-Adrenal Fatigue and you will find what you are all experiencing! Here is the syptom list of Adrenal Fatigue:
- Difficulty getting up in the morning
- Continuing fatigue not relieved by sleep
- Chronic insomnia (wired but tired)
- Craving for salt or salty foods
- Lethargy - lack of energy even for things once loved
- Increased effort to do everyday tasks
- Decreased sex drive
- Decreased ability to handle stress
- Increased time to recover from illness
- Intolerance to exercise
- Light headed when standing up quickly
- Mild depression
- Less enjoyment or happiness with life
- Increased PMS or bloating
- Symptoms increase if meals skipped or inadequate nutrition
- Thoughts less focused, more fuzzy
- Memory less accurate
- Decreased tolerance - agitation
- Best time of day between 4-6pm
- Decreased productivity
Final note - all FDA approved medications have a level of toxicity to be approved this is why most people end up with a medication cocktail. One to offset the side effects of the other. The ONLY positive results I have seen is through hydration (clean filtered water) and eating "live" unprocessed foods (organic) and NO sugar, caffeine, alcohol, spicy foods, etc. - they all affect the chemical balance and increase symptoms. I hope this helps!! Keep this blog going because the journey is long and lonely!
Hey Cha42,  Have you been tested for POTS or NMH (neurally mediated hypotension)?  The dizziness sounds like it might be a tell tale sign.  It's pretty easy to diagnose.  Just go to a heart/cardio-pulmonary specialist that will perform a tilt-table test.

Good luck!
As a young man I played football all through college. I worked out often and was in good shape. Then as most people do I started a family and my workouts went south for a while. Upon starting my workout routine again I would get sick within 3 or 4 days. Flu like symptoms that would last for 1-2 weeks. Then I would start out again and more flu like symptoms. After a few bouts with this I guessed that these symptoms were from my body trying to detox. I started to take enzymes with my meals and a quality pro-biotic. I also take chlorella to slowly detoxify the liver. The process of what the body does when we work out involves a type of detoxification. Lactic acid builds up in the muscle and releases fat molecules that pass through the body. Fat is where many toxins reside. If some of these fat molecules pass through the liver( and they do) then sometimes we can overload the liver and have flu like symptoms. Even a person who is in good shape may experience this type of thing if their liver is "sick".  I feel much better now and my workouts are progressing. Thats my story.  
Had this for years and it got progressively worse.   Acetyl L-Carnitine remedied.
Hi JFVS1205:

Could you elaborate on your post please?  How much did you take?  Were you diagnosed with anything?  I am suffering from something similar and have been losing my mind trying to figure out what it is.  Thanks!
I too experience these symptoms. I am experiencing them right now which is what led me to this thread. Rewind .... I have been a very athletic person all of my life. Not organized sports but personal fitness. Running, Tae-Bo and bike riding were my favorite past-times. I was a National Park Ranger that would hike all day, fight wild land fires and was also an EMT. So - very active. In 2005 I got married and moved to San Diego. I was still personally active with my workouts without any onset of flu-like symptoms. Suddenly in October 2006 I kept getting sick after working out (Tae-Bo) The sore throat would last a couple days and I would get back into my workout only to relapse with sore-throat chills and fever. The end of October about the fourth time I relapsed... I relapsed bad and ended up having to go to the emergency room with a fever of 105.0 and had to be given narcotics to get the fever down. I was sick then for a few weeks and actually slept for two days straight and do not remember them. I was tested for strep and my blood was drawn because I did not get better. Finally the sore throat dissipated and I was able to work out again. I moved to San Diego end of November because my husband was returning from Iraq. Obviously the honey was coming home so I stepped up my work out to look 'even better' for when he returned. I felt under the weather all of the time. He returned home in January and I was still working out and getting sick all of the time. I tried to make an appt with the military docs but they canceled on me and I didn't bother rescheduling. In April I went to the base to do my hardcore cardio on the elliptical after work and I had the most sudden onset of a sore throat that I had ever had. I had to stop midway through and go home. I felt so horrible I called my Mom and told her I didn't feel good ... something felt very different. That night my sore throat was so bad and I was throwing up even a spoon full of water. I had severe upper abdominal pain on the right side and was throwing up coffee grounds. My husband took me to the emergency room on base. They sent me home and said that I had strep throat (even though the culture was neg). I was in horrible pain (abd and throat) and my fever just kept climbing. My husband took me back to the ER where they did further blood work and an ultrasound and found that my liver was enlarged. My ALT was 1900 (far above the normal numbers!) I was admitted immediately and was diagnosed with viral hepatitas. (they didn't know the cause or even if it was they said there were to many strains to identify). I was discharged after a painful week of being in the hospital. (never been hospitalized before) I kept having the horrible pain. They said it was psychological. My Mom flew in from WA to get me out of the military docs hands. I still had the horrible pain in the upper right side of my abdomen and had to go on short term disability. Finally they prescribed a hyda-scan which diagnosed that my gallbladder was damaged and had to be removed. That was in Aug of 2007. After my gall bladder surgery I had 2 bowel obstructions and lung lesions. I was sent to the Mayo Clinic to see their pulmonologists but my lungs were getting better on their own and my side pain had subsided after my gallbladder was removed. In Dec 2007 I became pregnant. Obviously I was unable to workout very hard during my pregnancy but it went great (aside from the normal pregnancy complaints) My husband and I moved to KS and my son was born healthy in July 2008. After having him I wanted to get right back to working out.... but I wasn't able to be as dedicated because my husband worked shift work and has his own roofing business. Anytime I started to get my heart rate up I would end up getting sick before my workout was over. It is 2011. I cannot workout without getting a sore throat, low grade fever, swollen glands and headache. I suffer from insomnia also. I try to sleep because I am so tired but it feels like my body is running while I am laying there. I have always had a very difficult time with my digestive system in being constipated. I am a big time worrier and very much a high-achiever. I am going to school full time right now and am a pre-med major because I want to help people like us that get nowhere with their doctors. I still have 3 years to my BA and then Med-School. There is a reason for this happening. It is far too common (according to this thread) for there not to be a cause. I am thinking of going to see an endocrinologist because I never have and I believe our symptoms are related to a metabolic imbalance. My PMS has gotten horrible and I have even had a miscarriage. I HAVE to find out what this is.
I had discovered some time ago that many of my woes (extreme headache from exercise, mood crash when hungry, aching feet, shivering after certain time at night, exhaustion, nightmares, and on and on) were caused by hypoglycemia thanks to Patricia and Edward Krimmel's highly informative work  "The Low Blood Sugar Handbook" - everyone should read this and see if they too started out on this path.   After following their advice I experienced a great deal of improvement but would quickly forget that I could not eat whatever I wanted without sliding backwards.  So I'd correct myself, fall off the wagon, feel terrible, correct my habits and so the cycle would go.  Now I am much smarter but they damage may have been done.
    In the last few years I've stuggled to get back in shape even though I love the feeling of a good workout.  I too am extremely frustrated by the flu like symptoms from very moderate workouts (spinning seems to be the killer, weights less so).  I have eliminated many things including sugar, caffeine, white flower, upping the veggies, taking lots of supplements etc (as suggested for CFS).  Haven't found the magic answer yet but adrenal fatigue as the cause makes a lot of sense to me since it is linked to hypoglycemia and I may have yo-yo-ed my system to death so that it was susceptible to it.  Plus for the first time I have gained weight in my stomach, not typical for the females in my family.   This is linked to cortisol (also had a knee swell up on me after an easy run -which doctor could find no answer for) which could tie right back into adrenal fatigue.    Hope to try the L-Carnitine next...  Thanks for everyone's advice.  Surely we are getting closer to the answer!
I started having sickness after workouts all the way back when I was in middle school track, but back then it was only after several days of pushing myself that I would get sick, but since then it seems every year it takes less and less exercise to make me get sick.  I am now 29 and I basically have been forced into a sedentary life style.  Even after pretty mild exercise it starts with burning sinuses and a weak feeling, then it moves to my throat.  A day or 2 in my stomach feels queezy and my body aches and then after a few days in bed I am back, but a cough remains with me, sometimes for months afterward.  I eat extremely healthy so, even though I can't exercise at all, my body weight is still dead center normal for my height. But despite taking vitamins, eating yogurt, tons of fruits and vegetables and herbs, seeing a chiropractor, seeing doctors (who never find anything), drinking fresh slow pressed vegetable juice, and making sure to sleep a full 9 hours a night, and a having a low stress job that I enjoy, I still can't exercise without getting sick!

One thing I am interested in looking into more is allergies.  It seems to be worse in spring, and that makes me think I have allergies.  I have tried antihistamines, and they did not seem to help, but I heard a guy on the radio say that he used to get really sick from his allergies and medicine did basically nothing for him.  Now this is where it gets weird, he read about how in Africa, basically no one has allergies, and they actually traced it to a parasite that basically every African has, whereas developed countries basically do not have it at all.  They have no idea how it works, but somehow it does.  A PARASITE??  This guy said he became so desperate that he actually went to Africa and walked in poop so that he would pick up the parasite, which gets into your body through your feet.  He said his allergies completely disappeared and that it was the best thing he has ever done.  A few more years of it getting worse and I might be willing to try that myself.  I figure if some bacteria can be healthy (probiotics) maybe it is true that some parasites be healthy too! ...but I'm not quite to that level of willingness to experiment on myself...yet...

*Ditto on the symptoms and situations experienced on this website!  
*Interesting to recognize the doctors that posted on this site and our own doctors dont take the situation seriously.  They find an excuse why this could not possibly be realistic to us.  
*THANKS to all of you so that we can have a community that can discuss our experiences and find solutions!  
*let's keep posting and working toward solutions.... hopefully somewhere out there a doctor/patient will come up with a solution!!!  
*You all gave me some good suggestions and I will be trying them.  

Thanks to you all for at least making me feel I'm not the only one! I agree with many of the symptons described. I have had this for years (I'm 47) and doctors I have seen do not recognise this problem at all, but worse, are pompous in their certainty.
  With respect to solutions I have found that taking creatine/protein powders in small but regular amounts helps stave off the fever/tiredness symptons and get rid of them quickly once they appear. Also eating lots of red meat.I've used probiotics for years and these help relieve some symptons that arise from stomach acidity/gut problems.(like phantom sore throats)
  I am able to exercise for months without any problems at all in a warmer climate - (I am prone to colds normally in U.K) and so I have often wondered if the exercise weakens my immune system and then I quickly get flu like symptons same as others here.

Thanks again and keep posting!

George