Exercise & Fitness Community
Heart rate during excersise

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Heart rate during excersise

I have been working out for a few years now. I am still a little overweight (20lbs) from the 100 lbs I gained during my pregnancy 3 years ago. I am at the gym consistintly at least 5 days a week. I do cardio almost every day running 3xs and spin class 2xs. I lift weights 3 days a week as well. On the weekends I hike with the kids or play in the park. I feel I am in pretty good shape. When I run or spin I wear a heart rate monitor and I can get my heart rate up into the 180's close to 190. I know that from the chart for my age (34) I shouldnt go above 160. I actually feel fine at these high heart rate and on the Percieved Exersion Scale I would put myself in the 8-9 range of a scale of 1-10. I feel I am working Heavy but not overly heavy or over my max. My heart rate will go down to 130's within 60 seconds after I slow down and I go into the 100 range within minutes of stopping and just walking or stretching. I dont know if this is healthy, should I be concerned and try to not let my heart rate get up there? If I keep it in the range Im suppose to be in I dont feel like I am working out hard enough. What should I do?
call your Dr
Sorry- yes call your dr speak to a nurse and ask if this is normal. maybe go in for a physical have blood run or google it :)
I am 65 yrs old and reasonable fit and my heart in a sound condition. I have been attending Stretch classes for 11 years now, once a week, and I do a lot of hill walking. I never run.  I do not remember ever running. When I try to Jog It takes 50 yards before my heart starts beating uncontrollably and I feel terribly winded. So much so, that I fear for my life. Further, during excercise, when we have to jump up and down as part of the excercise, I feel as if my gut is punching my heart with every jump. I weigh about 172 pounds and my height is 5'7" so I am overweight. But I see many people fatter than myself running without such problems.
A radiologist I met said it is possible that I have Hiatus Hernia and when jumping or jogging my gut actually do get thrusted upwards into the gap and bumps the heart. I never had a proper diagnosis.
I am a little worried in case I am in a situation when I need to run from something but can't. Can you help, please?