Hernia Question
Just wondering if anyone could possibly shed a light on this. About 5 months ago I was ripping out carpet and I injured my finger so I continued to pull up the carpet but with only 1 hand so I was really pulling and tugging to get it up. That night slightly higher and to the left of my belly button was aching. If I pulled my legs to my chest I got a severe burning, stinging sensation. Over the past 5 months the pain comes and goes (it never really goes because there is always a tingling, burning sensation over that spot if you touch it) but it seems to be worse when I exercise too much or am more active. Now I seem to feel a very localized lump right in the area that it hurts when I push on it but to me it doesn't seem to get more noticeable when I cough or strain although I do notice it more when I stand. Does this sound like a hernia or should I be concerned with something more serious?  Does pain from a hernia come and go? I am female, 43 years .Could stand to lose a few pounds and have had 4 children. Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks, Nodaks

You might have developed some abdominal wall hernia (umbilical or incisional) as it seems from your history.

Several factors are responsible for hernia such as a sudden unexpected lifting of heavy item, raised intra-abdominal pressure in women during pregnancy and childbirth and laxity of abdominal wall muscles due to multiple pregnancies, sedentary life style, and lack of physical exercise.

Adults with umbilical hernias are at a higher risk of developing complications such as blockage or strangulation of the intestines, which often requires emergency surgery, and can be life-threatening.

If there are symptoms of an umbilical hernia even without complications, you should consult your doctor for advice. In adults, most umbilical hernias do not correct themselves unless diagnosed at a very early stage, and they must be treated with minor surgery.

Do keep us posted on your progress and follow up.

Thanks for your post. Just a little more info. I was diagnosed with Crohns in May by colonoscopy so then had a upper gi an small bowel follow through to see if the disease was affecting this area. They didn't see anything to account for the pain. Would a hernia be visible or what is the best way to diagnose this. I also was just diagnosed with autoimmune hepatitis 3 weeks ago. Seems my body is falling apart, although up until now I have been a very heathly, active individual.
Thanks for your help
nodaks
I have had an umbillical hernia frm my first pregnancy for almost six years now I dnt experience pain and I make regular bowel movements with no problem. I did some ab excersises the other day and it took 3days for my abs to stop being sore. Is this normal and should I get the hernia removed?