Exercise & Fitness Community
High Heart rate 190 BPM

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

High Heart rate 190 BPM

When I exercise I can keep my heart rate at 180-190 without "trying" too hard. I don't feel out of breath and can breath only through my nose. I can sustain this rate for 25-30 minutes. I could talk to someone while doing this.

If I exert myself a little more I can get my HR up to 190-195. Can keep it at 190 for 10-15 minutes no problem. At this point I have to breath through my mouth, but I am by no meaning huffing and puffing. Might be a little harder to talk but I still could. Don't feel light headed or dizzy and no pain.

When I stop exercising my HR goes back to normal, I don't know what my resting heart rate is though. The next day I don't feel particularly sore.

Is this normal?

Some guy who saw my HR read out at the gym was convinced I was going to have a heart attack. I am almost 32 female, 5'3 125 lbs non smoker, been pretty active my whole life but would no consider myself to be in top shape.
In case anyone reads this I just got my blood pressure checked and it was 116/64. Which I think is good?

Sometimes when you exercise , then there is a rise in your heart rate and  when you stop exercising your heart rate become normal. But yes, 180-190 is much more than normal. First check your heart rate when you are not doing any hardwork. If it is still more than the normal, then visit the doctor.
I have the exact same problem as you.  My resting HR is in the high 70s and when I am running/working out my HR is 190-195.  I am 5'7  132 lbs non smoker and 30 years of age.  I consider myself in physically good shape.  Did you get any answers?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The monitors and electronic equipment used in Gymns are not accurate all the times. They work on averages calculated and what is feeded in them, but any time if you work out in a proper Gym with good machines then the average error would be + or - 10%.
So if you want to check out proper heart rates you can go near a Physician who can do it for you. Do not worry about heart rates. They are connected to age, exercise ability and time and only if you have symptoms or you or out of shape you have to be worried and have to take advice from Physicians.
I recently started going back to the gym, after 5 years, my hr is 190 for 30 min, no dizziness or pain and I can talk/breath just fine.  Not sure why but the nurses at my work (hospital) told me I could be dehydrated and to drink more water.  Hope this helps.
hi i have the same problem my resting heart rate is 48 bpm and my max is 204bpm i am 19 years old andi  can keep my heart rate between 185bpm to max for 3 hours of hard exercise i am unsure if this is bad or a good thing
I was reading through the comments and started to feel a little less concerned that my heart rate was abnormal. I am 44 year old female and have been active for the better part of my life. At rest my heart rate is 80bpm and blood pressure is 115/69. When exercising at a 4.3 mph jog my heart rate  fluctuates between 174 and 189 bpm. I do not find myself out of breath and can have conversations while doing this. I guess it is something that occurs more than stats have gathered information about. Just to put it out there I don't think the person that gave similar information was lying at all.
I am 24 years old 6"0" about 185, When I work out on Treadmills and Elliptical s  my heart rate reads over 190 after the first five minutes and the rest of the time while Im on the machine. I tried it on more than ten machines. I wasn't worried until I started discussing it with other people. Should I be worried about this?
This might make you feel a bit better, but it worries me....
I am 63 and have kept myself reasonably fit for most of my life, but it isn't an obsession.
I was never bothered about heart rate until I read about what the supposed maximum should be for my age, and after using the hrm on the training bike at my gym.
I carry out a High Intensity Interval Training routine for about 40 mins which I finish on the bike, and it gets my ticker up to 175-180, there's no pain although I'm a little out of breath (that's the point of HIIT). I can confirm this figure as I have double checked it with a borrowed chest band. My resting pulse is in the low 50's.
I must admit I'm a little concerned now as I'm getting older, should I be worried? I now control my pulse on the bike to around 160 but feel I'm holding myself back.... professional advice would be appreciated.
Just wtch the push to gain the power.  I am 60 years old, 6 feet tall, and weigh 231.  My doctor wants me down 20 more pounds.  With high blood pressure I have to be very careful as to the type of exercises I embrace.  I tried cycling and almost had a stroke.  My heart rate shot through my brain.  Then I tried an elliptical and my heart rate shot up to 130 in less than 5 minutes. The bottom line is consistency.  Think, "I will be doing this for the rest of my life" and exercising will be just another part of your life.  No need to rush.  I cannot not make up for being a couch potato for so many years.  Not feeling good about your exercise routine can wear you out and finishing overexhausted is not good. If all else fails, take a water aerobics class.  That is a place where water is bliss and you get a great workout.  But for all you out there who pump heavy, have a great time!!!!!!!!!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi, Your maximum heart rate is 220 minus your age. This becomes 188.
Now you can calculate target heart rate during exercise as follows

(Max HR - Avg. HR) X 70% + Avg HR
Suppose your average HR is 80 then Target HR becomes
(188 - 80) X 70/100 and add 80 to it.
=108 X 0.7 + 80
= 156 approx

But this doesnot mean that you cant achieve max heart rate.
I don't think you should be worried.  Honestly, I am impressed with your age and resting heart rate.  That is something you should be proud of.  A lower resting heart rate is usually an idication of higher fitness.  Lance Armstrong at one point in his life (when he was at his peak fitness level) had a resting heart rate of 32 bpm.  As far as your max, I do not think you should be worried.  220 minus your age is a way to find your ESTIMATED heart rate.  In addition using the equation 220- age has been proven to underestimate max heart rates in adults over the age of 45, especially fit individuals.  Adults who remain physically fit do not have as great of a drop in maximum heart rate as the sedentary aging population.  So like I said before I think you should be proud rather than worried.  KUDOS TO YOU :)
I was just looking to see if mine was normal and I found your question.  I am 44, started really working out last year and have worked up to my heart rate hitting about 191 or so on the elliptical.  I have gotten it up as far as 201.  I don't feel bad and I have low blood pressure also.  I wonder if it has something to do with the low blood pressure?  Mine is often 100ish/56-65.  I also have a heart murmur, so I thought maybe the machine was picking up on that.
I'm freaking out a little...I'm a 44 year old female who runs 3-6 miles every morning.  I've had hypothyroid disorder and taking synthroid since 1995.  I joined a gym near my job because of the indoor track because I've been having problems w/ plantar faciitis (sp?).  Anyway, they offered a fit test and told me I have 35% body fat and am obese; also that I have 26.5 BMI and am overweight.  Then we went to the treadmill and my heart rate shot up to 189 immediately.  I wasn't tired at all because it was only on 3.5 mph.  The guy at the gym freaked out and was telling me to stop, then the computer on the treadmill beeped, made some type of notification about the heart rate being too high and shut itself down.  First of all, I don't think I'm overweight but I'm definitely not obese.  I am worried now and haven't done any type of workout except pushups in two days.  I read somewhere that dehydration could cause a problem with the machine for body fat analysis..would that effect the HR too?  I've never paid attention to my heart rate before.  I just run and slow down when I get too tired.  I did a little research afterwards to see what normal max HR should be and saw it was in the upper 170's.  Going to see a doctor this week.