Exercise & Fitness Community
High heart rate during exercise

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

High heart rate during exercise

I am a new paramedic, and I recently took the physical fitness test at the hospital.  I was told that as a 33 year old female, my maximum heart rate should be around 158 during activity.  It was 198 at one point.  Unfortunately my active heart rate has always been high, and until this test, it has never been a problem.  I was told I need to figure out how to correct this.  Any ideas? Certain exercises, or medications?
You could try yoga. It's a calming exercise. Maybe just walking for cardio exercise. Also, stay away from caffiene.  Oh, and make sure you don't get dehydrated, that will cause the heart rate to go up too.  I am 38 yr old female and my heart rate sometimes goes to 200+bpm during exercise. I also get pain when it's that high.  Dr. put me on a beta blocker to slow the heart rate down.  Check with your doctor about what might help you.  Good luck!
I am having the same problem. I can't figure it out at all. I am only 22, female, 5'5", 116, vegetarian, don't smoke....very healthy. I have super low blood pressure but my resting and exercising heart rates are extremely high. I went to a cardiologist and they told me I was just out of shape. I have been working out at least 5 days a week for 2 monthsnow, 2 hr's a day, 45 minutes of consecutive cardio each day, and my heart rate isn't budging. If you figure out something that works, please post it. I feel like I'm doing everything and am at a loss.
I'm not a doctor or anything, but I do think some people just have higher exercise heart rates.  I am a 22yo female, 5'2", 108 lbs., and run three miles a day (not very fast--about 11 min/mile).  My heart rate reaches or exceeds 200 bpm at least once every run, and when I was on a Holter monitor a couple years ago (was having some palpitations checked out) I worked out and at one point got it up to 211.  My resting rate is in the mid 50's, which is down a bit from what it was when I started running (was in the mid 60's).  Now I usually wear a HR monitor while running and I have seen readings of 217 and 218 a couple of times that I think might have been legitimate readings as opposed to resulting from some interference, but I can't be sure on that.  When my heart rate gets really high like that, I do feel like I'm working very hard but I don't feel sick or anything--it just seems to be a normal occurrence for me.  So I guess what I'm saying is "join the club".  The number you were given for what your HR should have been may have come from the target HR formula that uses 220-age for your maximum rate.  That formula is an average and does not hold for everyone--maybe you're just someone who has a higher max HR.  (Personally I think that formula should be defenestrated--if you don't know what that means, look it up).  What did the physical fitness test involve?  I would be curious to know how strenuous it is.  Also, how were you feeling at the time your heart rate was so high?  Were you feeling OK and just feeling like you were working hard, or did you feel weak/dizzy/otherwise yucky?  If you were feeling bad, that would seem to make it more of a cause for concern.
May I ask what your resting and exercise heart rates are?  How high is "extremely high"?  Also, what type of exercise do you do during your workouts?
When stress, like exercise, increases the heart rate, it makes you a higher risk for stroke and heart attack in this profession.  Since the stress levels suffered by EMTs in emergency situations, your heart rate may prevent you from getting and keeping a job.  Alot of time exercises that are aerobic bring down the heart rate.  Biking, swimming, low impact aerobics and power walking are good exercises that will give you a good workout without raising your heart rate too high.  If it continues to be high, then have the MD order a PET stress test to checkout the stress on the heart. good luck
Hello.  Could you tell me what a PET stress test is? I had a treadmill stress test with thalium, is that the same?
A PET stress test is not the same as a Thalium stress test.  Thalium is usually given first because the cost of the PET is higher.  PET is used to visualize the heart under stess by giving a radiolucent (shows up on xrays) chemical called Persartine (and others). This drug simulates exercise and the heart reacts as though you are experiencing a hard workout.  Pictures are taken on a special xray machine in the Nuclear Medicine department.  It is difficult to get the pictures off a regular treadmill test because the heart slows down too fast for the pictures to be taken. This test will visualize the heart and it's vessels, how the blood enters and leaves the ventricles, can check out stents, and will show any muscle weakness or valve problems.  It will not evaluate the vessels on the outside of the heart.  Hope this helps.
Thank you for the info. Maybe you can help me with this.  You seem to know a great deal about this subject. I have been through Stress/w thalium, echo, ecg, 24 hr. holtor, and ekg to check my heart.  I have bouts of pain only during exercise that happen about 2 times a week.  I workout 5 days.  The pain is squeezing, burning and lasts about 2-4 minutes.  Don't always have to stop, just slow way down. All test normal, except holtor showed heart rate at 200 during workout, at which time I was experiencing pain. The stress test was stoped at 9 min. as I reached the max rate of 151. I am not sure if this test would accurately pick up what is happening to me as I did't experience the pain.  I don't have the pain until at least 15 minutes into a workout.  Do you think a PET stress test would be more accurate, and/or wearing an event monitor? I am not sure if there is any concern for the pain I have, it seems to be just that my heart rate goes so high.  Cardio has me taking 25mg toprol and baby asprin daily. Says if this does not work I would need to go on a stronger med.  Last night in my spin class I felt my heart race and then a thump, I must have looked bad, because my instructor came over and checked my pulse.  She was worried as it would beat normal for about 10 beats then speed way up and then just seem to stop.  Repeating over and over for 2 minutes.  Heart rate at 15 minutes into very hard class was only 83.  That's why I think that it was way up and dropped too quickly. Just curious as to what you might think is going on.  Thank you!
Have you tried an event monitor?  You wear this monitor for usually 2 weeks.  It is like a mobile EKG machine.  When you experience any problems you push a button which records the event.  Once there are about 5 of these, call the number you have been given and dowload the informaion to the cardiac personnel.  Unless there is cause for alarm, the results will be reviewed at the end of the 2 weeks by your cardiologist.  This way, when you are exercising and have an event, it will be caught on the machine.
Thank you for the information.  I'll have to talk to my cardiologist about having an event monitor.  That certainly sounds like what I need to do next.  The toprol does seem to be slowing my heart rate, but I still, sometimes get the pain.  Thanks again!
Both an event monitor and a PET scan are good ideas to try. Ask you doctor for an EKG to check the electrical status of your heart. The pain you are experiencing at high heart rates is caused by a lack of oxygen. The heart is racing to the point that it's need for oxygen is greater than the supply and you get pain.  When you slow down the oxygen levels rise and the pain goes away. If this continues you can suffer from a "mini heart attack" which is without symptoms, but can leave heart damage.  Try reducing your workout and try breathing more.  When you reach the point that you are breathing hard or panting, slow down and do some belly breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth, gradually lengthening the breaths until your heart slows down and your breathing is easier.  Avoid breathing while bending downward. Stand or sit up straight and belly breathe.  Bending over when panting actually pushes air out of the lungs and prevents deep breathing, giving the body less oxygen.  You may become dizzy, visual "spots", experience nausea, muscle weakness, headaches, difficulty "catching" your breath and  get a burning sensation in the chest. good luck
Thank you for explaining this to me. I guess that is why my cardiologist is concerned about slowing the heart rate down.  I have just been looking for a cause for the pain and what you have said makes perfect sense.  Thanks again for your help.
It is scary to think that if you get pain in your chest when you exercise it is from cardiac related issue and you can have a mini heart attack.  I posted your reply to the heart forum for more information.  I, too have had pain in chest while exercising but never showed any past heart attack on EKG.
I started the other thread with this subject: "High heart rate during exercize" and after reading the comments in this one, I decided to ask my MD. He is a healthy living guru and cycles extensively. I told him my blood pressure and resting heart rate (57) are extremly low, but my exercize heart rate is extremely high (175 - 190). His suggestion was strength training. He said a regular routine of lifting weights will strengthen all my muscles including my heart muscles, which should bring my heart rate into a more acceptable range. He also said strength training will also help the occasional knee pain I have when cycling. I hope this helps someone else. I know I have not emphasized strength training at all, even though I know it helps on the ski hill and with my golf swing.
You just jogged my memory about something my cardiologist said to me that is important.  When your muscles are weak, then your heart is pumping harder to make them work.  In other words, if you are walking up hill and your heart is pumping hard, that's becuae it is sending much needed blood to your legs.  When you are better conditioned, then your heart rate will be better.
I've been wondering about this, too. I'm 39, female, very fit- have done gymnastics and bike racing all of my life. My blood pressure is fairly low at 60/100. I live at 8,000 feet. I currently race competetively, and have been training on a computrainer during the winter.  My resting heart rate is mid-50s, and when I exercise my heart rate is sustained at about 180-185, and the max that I've seen doing hard workouts with intervals is 203.  I do not experience pain, but sometimes feel dizziness. It sounds like I'm dealing with the same issue as you. Has the strength training been helping? Are there specific exercises your doctor prescribed?
I also have high heart rate during exercise and low resting heart rate.  Tests report "mild to moderately reduced exercise tolerance", negative EST, rare PACs, normal left vent, no defects, and 65% ejection fraction.   My cardiologist says there is no problem and my physician says ignore my heart monitor.  

For my own understanding, I did a Conconi test to find my actual peak heart rate.  Now, I slow my exercise when I reach 90% of my actual peak heart rate.  I tried the Couch Potato to 5k program (on time not distance) to increase the time before reaching 90% and saw improvement during the first three months.  I quit pushing my limits after six months.  After two years of 30 minutes on the treadmil twice a week, I hit 90% after 20 minutes at 3.2mph, 10 minutes at 4.5mph and 45 seconds at 8mph.  No where near "normal".

I have given up on reaching a minimum "normal for age" Cooper 1.5 mile running test.  After two years I can only get within 30 seconds of the minimum and only if I bust the 90% limit.  To "pass the test" it would require allowing my heart rate to reach and stay at the max for as long as I could stand it.  I would feel sick for two days afterwards and still would not consider myself "normal".

I worry that this "you're fine, no problem" condition is actually evidence that there is a problem or will someday be a problem, and that those of us declared "healthy with high exercise heart rate" are not being tracked and studied.

I would advise you to do regular physical exercise every day like jogging or running or even a long walk.
You can also try breathing exercises and meditation to relax your mind and rid it off tension and anxiety. Keep us posted!

I am not a doctor, I am an endurance athlete.  You can reduce your heart rate by following Dr. Phil Maffetone heart rate training.  180 minus your age will be your target training rate.  You will reach this very easily at first.  If you exercise regularly at or below this rate, you will experience cardiovascular adaptation, and in time it will be HARD for you to reach this heart rate.  I trained this way for 1 year, and am 46 years old.  Use to have high rate, now it is tough for me to reach 135 - 140 BPM.  Resting heart rate is also down to 50.  Get his book...heart rate training.  It works.
Hi all
I read your comments with interest as I too, have an unusually high heart beat when exercising.
I am 59 years old, Have a personal trainer who started me off 1 year ago on a programme of stretching and core muscle building twice a week for an hour for 4 months.  During this time I did 3 weekly work outs aerobically which comprised 20 minutes on a treadmill and 20 minutes on a cycle.  My resting heart rate is 66.  In the beginning I could only keep within the "fat burn zone of 80%" using the cycle on level 1.  The treadmill was also a problem as my heart rate would reach the upper level (150) without much exertion.  

After 4 months of strength training I progressed onto light weights and resistance training.  This I have been doing for 9 months now - increasing the weight as I have progressed.

With this new programme I have noticed a distinct improvement in my heart rate in most of the aerobic work I do - however, on the elliptical trainer, I still find that it spikes to just short of 160 a minute.  At this stage I am perspiring - but am not in any pain or discomfort at all.  A Cardiologist did an effort ECG and solar scan on my heart and found that there was an imperfection to the "R" wave, but that it was "within normal limits".  I was given a clean bill to continue with my training.

My trainer has discussed my progress with the bio kinetikist at gym - and they have decided that I suffer from Tachycardia - but I am not in agreement with their diagnosis but they are saying that I should try "rate of perceived Exertion" instead of sticking to the Heart rate monitor.  I do not use the monitor anymore whilst training as I get tired of hearing it going off each time I increase above where it perceives my heart rate should be!!!!

Hope someone will offer some advice on the topic.
Can you elaborate on what your heart rate was before you started with the Dr. Phil Maffetone training program? I have been running for couple of years and my heart rate jumps to 160 very easily and then stays in high 160-170 for the entire range of the run. People I am running with on the other hand have heart rate in the 135-145 range so I am really keen on finding a solution.
This is the best thread I've come across for answers!  Maybe someone could answer for me specifically too.  I am 30 years, old 5'7, 131 lbs. and have exercised/extreme sports my whole life.  My BP has always been extremely low 60/90 sometimes 50/80, I think that is due to my slight anemia (so I've read).  My HR has always been low 60s.  When I workout/run my HR stays well above 190 range, but drops fairly quickly.  Am I supposed to be concerned?  When I'm on the treadmill I see the chart for HR and I think it's a joke, that's impossible to keep it that low, until I've read everyone's posts.  I never cared before until recently when I felt like I was going to faint while w/o.  Dehydration can do this to you though right?  My only other concern is that lately my resting HR has increased by 20 BPM for a few months now.  Is this something I should look into?  It seems 1/2 are saying it's no big deal, and others say rush to your doctor.  Any thoughts?
My concern is at the same place as the runners,but the dynamics are different, I weightlift. I'm 50, 5'7" tall, 150 lbs,non smoker,non drinker,I've been trying to gain muscle though weight lifting. The problem is getting my stubborn slim body to grow muscle,I have to hit it hard. The concerning workout is the day I do lower body (squats),they can take a fair bit of exertion,,after an hour of progressively adding weight to the bar, I reach my present limit,about 70 lbs. my body is pretty warmed up at this point but my heart still blasts off from about 110 to about 161bpm in about 20 seconds after 8 reps with a barbell across my shoulders (had an ekg & treadmill done 8 months earlier,all fine) I drink 2 coffee per morning,wondering if the coffee might be hindering my heart rate when pushing it that high, and  wondering if there's any dangers of spiking your heart rate like this,I've read its suppose to be good for you, like 'coldy' suggesting strength training.Wondering if anyone had any input for strength training where the exertion is primarily short bursts.
Not to scare anyone - Posting this for somebody qualified to share their point of view on this study  ...here is an article from a highly reputed medical journal on association between sudden deaths among health men

1. High resting heart beat (> 75)
2. No enough jump up in heartbeat while exercising hard (<113)
3. & low drop in heartbeat 1 min after exercise (< 40)

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/352/19/1951

The second point is seems to have surprised the researchers a little ...
I have this problem too. I am 50, have always been active, and have always struggled to stay in the cardio HR zone during my workouts( I usually go above the recommended HR zone). I feel fine the entire time and actually feel like I could push myself even harder but am afraid to. I have tried a spin cycle class several times and always get up to 170-190 during the hardest part of the class. My face gets red and I am sweating up a storm, never do I have any pain or do I feel like I'm dying during or after the workout. I still wonder why my heart rate still goes so high even though I do elliptical, run, weight train, jazzercise, something almost every day and have for years.
I'm going to jump in on this discussion with my own problems too, which seem to be the same as everyone elses! Non smoker, 5'3", 55kg, on my feet all day in my job. Slightly high blood prrssure from the pill, resting heart rate in high 50s.

I recently joined the gym, expecting to be caught out on my rubbish fitness level, but was very surprised that my VO2 max was at an 'elite' level, apparently (on a polar watch mind you). This contradicts my actual performance in the gym - when i first started, walking at a steady pace on a small gradient bought my heart rate up to about 150bpm within 2 minutes - the trainer came back and looked slightly puzzled. After some more faffing around we decided I just had 'a high heart rate', so I should work out according to percieved exertion instead.

8 weeks later and my endurance has vastly improved, but i still peak at 160-170 on the cross trainer with a percieved exertion of about 6 -  can keep this up for my whole workout it's not hard. Jogging on the treadmill at 7.5mph will bring it up to 180+ with percieved exertion of about 7.

Everytime i see those target heart rate charts i also think they're some kind of conservative joke. To keep in my fat burning zone i would have to walk on the treadmill and keep a snails pace on the cross trainer!

I'm thinking of bringing this up at my next gp appointment, but i know they will probably brush it off.
I have read all posts - and noticed there are two types of folx sharing symptoms here

1) Those who have always had high heart rates
2) Those who actually noticed increased/high heart rates.

I am category #2.  

35yo F 5'9" 170 - Active Duty Military 16 years (fitness is our lifestyle is the point).  I do cardio/muscular strength endurance(MSE)6x per week - Sunday off -  30 minuntes minimum each - I alternate upper/lower body MSE every other day to balance out.

---Before Exhertion Intolerance Change (1991 through Aug 04)
a) resting heart rate ~55bpm  (45 while sleeping)
b) maximum Hr (actually attained and HARD to get) 155bpm
c) blood pressure  ~ 110/55

---After Exhertion Intolerance Change  (Aug 04 - curr)
a) resting heart rate ~85 (65 sleeping)
b) maximum Hr - 208  (185 in 4 mins of light jog - daily)
c) blood pressure ~ 135/89  

** Note: Aug 04 was my first Physical Test while stationed in Korea - run time went from 16:15 to 18:25 with no explanation.  I was acclimated - on station for 6 months.  I have never been able to run since (and slightly before) that pt test, it is the first documentation of the breakdown though.**

I used to get my adrenaline rush from running 7 minutes in - like clockwork.  Once I caught the rush, I could run for miles and miles and never skip a beat and barely break a sweat.

Now I jog - if you can call it that - doing a mere 6.0 mph and in 4 minutes my heart rate is at 195 and I can't breath.  If i could run through it I know my heart rate would continue up - its as if the "stop cap" was removed and my heart has no limit.  I can feel the energy pulsing and want to keep going, but i just can't breath, so I have to stop.  I have been working for the last 5 years to get my heart rate to go down and I have made absolutely no difference whatsoever - intervals, endurance, short distance, long distance - absolutely nothing helps.

Heck, I did 70 sit ups the other day (2 minutes) and my HR was 172bpm... so it isnt just aerobic exercise sparking the HR.  (on that note, a few minutes after cardio, I layed down to do those situps and in 22 seconds my heart rate went from 176 to 83 - and it HURT!!!!  Won't do that again.)

My last Army Physical Fitness Test was my "maximum effort" and worst run time ever (18:45 - 2 miles) Sep 30, 2008 - it landed me in the hospital.  I was blinded for 30 minutes (huge spot covering all but peripheral vision in both eyes, my Creatine Kinase (CK - protein)  was 3510 (140 is normal) 2 days after the PT Test, and 3755  (went up while in a hospital bed for 2 days?) 4 days after the PT Test- other blood tests were jacked up, too, but I won't get into all of that.  They did xrays of my lungs, MRI/MRA of my brain and neck, and did tests to find out why my pupils are suddenly mis-dialated.

I just had my CPX today, Fitness Stress Test last monday (CK was 251 - still over 140 normal range) - echo last month, ekg/ecg Oct 08 - and noone can tell me anything!  Little oddities with each test, but nothing to make one specialist concerned in one specific area.  It's weird.

I am not going to stop pursuing these doctors until someone can explain to me what the heck is happening to my body - but here is the real point -

~~  If you are working out, feeling a bit tingly from the adrenaline, have a light misting of sweat on your forhead, you decide to put your hands on on the pulse sensors because you are curious what your HR is, and you are shocked to see it is 190 - 200... you probably don't have an issue to worry about.

~~  If you are working out, find you can't catch your breath no matter how hard you try to control your breathing, the towel around your neck is heavy with the sweat you have mopped off your face and neck, and you decide to put your hands on the pulse sensors because you need to know what your HR is, you see it is 190 - 200 and aren't suprised in the least..., stop exercising and go to the doctor.

If you are having symptoms AND have a high heart rate, get a thorough exam.  If you have a high heart rate but no symptoms, at your next physical (you should be having these regularly if you are exercising anyway) talk to your doctor about the HR and see if more testing is necessary.  *nods*

In the meantime -keep your fingers crossed for me- because, although noone can pinpoint it, I can feel something wrong!

same here, very high HR when working out.

I am a 29 yo female, 5 foot 5.5 inches, 160 pounds (very muscular, moderate body fat, read very busty) non-smoker, low blood pressure, occasional drinker, decent cardiovascular fitness.  

My RHR is in the high 50's to an even 60, while my max HR when working in high percieved exertion (a 9) in interval training is 201.  (I wear a polar f6/chest strap)

I feel fine other then sweating buckets and breathing very heavy, not dizzy or sick feeling at all.

even in a steady state run hy HR is in the mid 190's.  drops back to 120 in about 5 minutes.  PE about a 7.

When I do dynmaic heavy lifting, it can get into the 180's (droping into the 120's during a rest period)

my HR will stay in the 130's after a good workout untill I sit down.  When I am totally done working out and back as my desk or in the car drining home, it will drop back into the 80's-90's, but I have to sit for that to happen.  As long as I walk around the gym, stretch, stand and change my clothes, it won't drop below 130.

When I go for a brisk walk, in non-workout mode, my HR will go between 120-135.

But as soon as I start working, it jumps up.  It's like my HR can do 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th gear.  my HR skips 3rd consitently, unless i am cool-off mode.
Hey all,
i am a 28 year old male,200 lbs,5.5 feet high,never smoked,never drinked,
i just started my workout the begining of april,and as u all can see i was planning to do cardio for the weight loss and fat burn plan (the six pack dream)
i start by doing the Synchro machine which is like a total body work out where ur hands and legs move together as if u are jogging,for 30 minutes with effort level (1 is minimum - 25 is maximum) starting at 11 for 2 minutes and 30 seconds and then i increase the effort to 16 for 2 minutes and 30 seconds,then go back to 11 again..up and down like that for 30 minutes with a water bottle next to me and i drink while working out little by little.
after that i go on the tread mill and do 15 minutes in the same technique,starting with 3.4 miles and incline of 10% going to 15% every 2 and half minutes and back down to 10% and so on.
i reach the 170+ and the monitor starts buzzing and saying High heart rate,and i tend to slow down when i do get that,
however, today where i decided to make the effort on the synchro go to 18 and down to 13 for the sake of burning more calories,and i tend to hit the high heart rate zone quite frequently (around 4 times in 30 seconds) which made me a bit confused if that is a good sign or a bad sign.
more over,i feel a slight tingling pain in my chest where the heart is located,which made me a little concerned if i am doing somthing wrong.
my diet has been very strict,i eat around 1200 calories a day only and in the gym i burn around 600 if i dont do any weight lifting.
i dont know what is my ideal resting heart rate and whats my ideal fat burn heart rate.
please advice,i dont wanna end up doing the wrong thing and hurt my self,all opinions are highly appreciated.
thanks
Fayiz.
Ok, there seem to be better answers here than I have gotten other places. I am 62 years old, I run a lot, finished a marathon (my 3rd) last year in 4:03. About a year and a half ago, after a poor marathon performance, I changed my diet and virtually eliminated any fats. (I should have about 25% fat by calories, I am working back to that.) Last fall I put my self in the hospital with a gall bladder attack, my analysis is since there was no fat, the gall bladder stopped working and sludge built up.

That's not the question though, when I run I always wear a heart rate monitor (Garmin 305) and I get a graph of the heart rate for every run. My resting heart rate is around 45. My normal running heart rate is in the range of 125 to 140, depending.

Here is the weird part, when I just start out on a run, my heart rate frequently jumps to 175-180 for the first mile or half mile, then abrubtly drops to the normal range.

I am guessing this is lack of fat in the liver, or lack of energy for the short term (liver, blood stream?) but when the other energy mechanisms kick in, the heart rate goes back to normal.

This did not happen two years ago or more, when I weighed 20 lbs more and ate lots of bagels. I assume its diet, but I don't want to gain the weight back.

Any ideas?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Your heart rate increases by sympathetic/parasympathetic stimulation and in no way related to energy intake or no fat in your body.
Your body keeps glucose in blood and liver which are utilized initially then you need energy and it will come from glycogen,
When you are stiff the whole day and start running immediately then your sympathetic system increases the heart rate to pump in more blood, but slowly you level it perfectly as you are healthy.
Try warming up for some time before you switch on the aggresive (aggressive) way.
Take care!
To shany25M

I am not a doctor, and I am certainly not an expert in exercise, but it occurs to me that you may be suffering from overtraining. If the doctors can't find anything, and you keep pushing harder and harder with no increase in performance, it sounds like over training.

Try doing nothing for 3, 4, or 6 weeks, then try easing back into it. I know its an ego buster (I fried an LT band once and missed a marathon, did nothing for weeks except annoy my wife, not fun). But it might help, and based on your overall fitness it won't hurt anything but your pride.

As I said I am not an expert, and free advice like this is worth what you pay for it.

Good luck, take care.
You have described me pretty much exactly. I too am searching for an explanation. I'm 6ft3, 14stone / 92kg and 37yrs old.
I have always had a low resting rate, in the upper 30s, low 40s.
I have always enjoyed my sports and pushed hard, once I realised it was only pain and you could often go further longer and harder than you think, until the fuel actually runs out :) Particulary cycling / running / swimming.

Recently, I have suspected that I'm overtrained from reading things on the web. For 2years now, I have caught every virus going, and even had tonsilitis twice (never had it before!). When I go for a simple 5-10km run at very easy/snail pace, my heart is up in the 190s. I was using a Garmin forerunner, so I switched to my Polar 725, from the bike, and saw the same readings!
Perceived exertion not that high, but according to the monitors, really quite high indeed.
If I push it on a run now, I go over 200bpm, then have to stop to get my breath. Body and muscles feel OK, but heart and lungs just won't play ball.
I have an underlying feeling that something is up, I just need to find it.
I have raised creatin kinase enzyme 1200 (about 10 fold normal) even after a week off the exercise.
EMG tests on the muscles reveal that I have a higher proportion of short fibres, consistant with some sort of myopathy, but apparently within normal range.
I have a theory that heart muscle is being regenerated for some reason, and the new muscle is shorter and twitches faster causing a fast heart rate during mild exertion?

All theories welcome _ particularly interested in shany25m comments!
I guess I'm in the same boat.  Was always active as a teenager and my heart rate was normal when exercising.  I have always had bad allergies (sneezing, etc) but now have mild asthma (diagnosed as an adult).  

My resting heart rate is still normal (between 60-80) but my heart rate jumps to 200 very quickly, making it very hard for me to do cardio (out of breath quickly).  So for the past few years, I've lifted weights instead.  

I was referred to a cardiologist where I did a stress test.  It went up to 200 as expected.  The doctor thought my heart looked great.  I got a second opinion as well and asked how I would know when to stop running, because I really wanted to do cardio.  They told me to stop when it hurt.  

Because I haven't done much cardio, my metabolism has suffered.  I didn't really like the answer I got and plan on going back to the doctor soon.  

My question for all of the others who are experiencing this... Do you have asthma or allergies?  What I'm thinking is that since the blood delivers oxygen to the body, perhaps this increase in heart rate is needed to get the amount of oxygen needed sent throughout the body.  This time around, I'm going to start with a pulmonary specialist.

Avatar_dr_m_tn
Heart Rate can only stabilize with time and continous cardio exercise. You should have proper breakfast and a balanced diet. You can do till you are comfortable and the best part with you is you had a cardio examination and you have a healthy heart. Check the monitors in the place of your workouts. You should avoid all forms of allergies, Take care!
Ladies, ladies, ladies- I'm 52 years old, 5'4" and 185 lbs., WAAAAY out of shape, but I just started using a treadmill at work and watching my pulse on it.  Today my pulse  maxed at 160 bpm, about the highest I've seen it.  I ran 2 miles at about 12 mpm.  I do not have a slow pulse normally.

WHO told the 33 y/o Paramedic she had to get her pulse down herself?  I'd say it takes a medical professional to help do that.  But my question to all of you young ladies who have high pulses- HOW MUCH CAFFEINE/STIMULANTS DO YOU USE?  I personally am not tolerant so I never have caffeine except occasional chocolate (which makes me nearly narcoleptic).  

If I were to try and lower my pulse I would do it thusly:
Decrease stimulants
Exercise daily & with a heart rate monitor watch or GPS
Meditation or Biofeedback
See ANOTHER doctor.  

My 2 cents. Good luck.
Schisandraa
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Till your heart is functioning properly and all basic parameters are in normal range  and you are symptomless nothing to worry for all ages.
Associated medical problems like Diabtes and Hypertension causes problems and with increasing age eating healthy and keeping your system in normal ranges is always good for symptomless & doctor free living.
Take care!
I'd said:

Decrease stimulants
Meditation or Biofeedback
See ANOTHER doctor.  

Dr. Vinod said:  Eat properly, which I agree and add to my list.

I thought of another last night:  GET ENOUGH SLEEP!  I used to work in EMS, hubby still does, and I know the lifestyle of you Paramedics!  Unreal!  Slow down!  I'm gonna repeat what I think I would do to decrease max pulse rate:

Decrease stimulants
Meditation or Biofeedback
Eat Properly
Get enough sleep and some R&R during the day.

Avatar_dr_m_tn
Good post... and please add stress free living to it for complete good health.
Lower my pulse list:

Decrease stimulants
Exercise daily, with a heart rate monitor watch or GPS if possible
Meditation or Biofeedback
Eat Properly
Decrease stress / stress management

Its odd that they told you you had to "fix" it.  I have always had an active heart rate from cardio activity well above 200 since High school.  I ran cross country so I wasn't out of shape. (My resting rate is norma.)  I had a coach in college who didn't even believe me until he had me where a heart rate monitor.  My physical reactions and recovery were just like those with a normal active heart rate.  Breathing, speaking, etc the same as the others.  I have asked a number of coaches, nurses and doctors if I should be concerned and they didn't think so.  They usually think its odd but since it doesn't effect anything else they say not to worry about it.

I think you should ask the people who told you to correct it why you need to and how they expect you to do it.  Mine has never really changed regardless of if I'm in shape or not.  Is it a health risk of some sort that is not well known in the medical community?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

When you have increased heart rate, the heart pumps faster, When the heart beats rapidly, the heart pumps less efficiently and provides less blood flow to the rest of the body, including the heart itself. The increased heart rate also leads to increased work and oxygen demand for the heart and if your resting heart rate is fine I would suggest you a physical examination near a cardiologist to rule out any tachycardia due to ventricular or other cardiac problems.

The commonest reasons are sympathetic stimulation and also hormonal as adrenalin hormone is secreted during flight, fright and fight and your heart rate increases. It is always good to rule out any pathology. If your heart is healthy then it is fine.

Take care!
Hey guys and gals, with a high heart rate. I have a question, how often you drink coffee or other drinks with caffeine in them? If anyone of you drinkg either coffee or any other coffeine containing drink (power drink, sodas etc) on a daily basis I suggest to stop for a week or even better two, and measure your heart rate after that.
Hello Have they figured out what is wrong.  I have the exact same problem.  Every test know to man has been run.  They found nothing.  I get on the tredmill for 2 minutes and my heart rate goes to 170. I am 50 years old.  I am over weight.  But this only started about 6 months ago.  Something change.  I have been around the same weight for years.  If you have any more info or if any one does, please post it.
Has anybody here with the high heart rate during exercise been diagnosed with Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia? I recently was, cause unknown. Now i was also diagnosed with a mild mitrovalve prolapse, but not known if it is related.  Same thing, high heart rate when exercising.  After doing research online I found this (IST) happening mostly in women in their late teens and in their mid 30's (i'm 36), and for unknown reason more with women in the healthcare field (me).

I also found forums where women found these symptoms after taking hormones. Anybody here see a relation with that? I do, possibly. Next to my heart rate jumping up when running, my main other symprom is extreme fatigue when not exercising, but can function ok. Am still trying to figure all this out, but i know a change in much higher heart rate when exercising can definetely have underlying causes, so don't just disregard it. If you have always had it, it might be a different story.

I came across this message board just now and think it is great.

Here is my situation:
I am 29 years old, 5’11" and about 175 lbs. My resting heart rate is probably in the low 70’s. I started running/jogging back in October and currently I run 3-4 times a week, 3.5-4.0 miles each time. My mile time ranges from 10:00-10:15 per mile. When I run/jog, my heart rate gets above 190 bpm for the majority of the run. My last run (yesterday), my HRM said my average heart rate was 191 bpm and my peak bpm was 204. I do not experience any chest pain, sweat normally (in my opinion), and only breathe a little harder than normal. Nothing I wouldn’t expect while exercising.  My blood pressure has been a little above normal for the longest time and I finally asked my doctor about it the last time I went due to the fact hypertension runs rampant in my family (both sides). I was referred to a cardiologist and took a standard treadmill stress test. The cardiologist said my heart beat/rhythm/pattern (whatever the proper term is) was normal, but my blood pressure was higher than she liked while exercising (I think the last reading was 160/102 after 12:00 minutes of briskly walking at a small incline).

Besides the elevated blood pressure (I am awaiting a follow up visit with my doctor), is having a heart rate in the 190’s during exercise harmful? From reading all of the posts, it seems okay. Each person is different. I do drink a cup of coffee in the morning and soda with caffeine. I might try cutting out all of the caffeine for 1-2 weeks and see if my heart rate drops any while exercising.

Just finished echo stress test and was told that things look fine but only went 8 min. before hr hit 190.  HR returned to normal quickly enough.  Have a history of not being able to keep hr down. Hospitalized a few times for AF, but not in last 10 years.  Not on meds now.

Bio: I'm 62, slender, eat well, a bit of a worrier, but seem to feel best when adrenaline is flowing.  Very difficult to get up in the morning...30 minutes like a zombie before I start to feel anywhere near good.  Afternoons after lunch are much better.  I wonder if the lack of adrenaline while sleeping affects how I feel.  

Cardiologist said I could use beta blockers if I wanted to but I'm a bit reluctant since I would rather try exercise and some of the other suggestions in this thread.  My main form of exercise the last couple of years has been 30 minute brisk walks (3 -4 times/wk) which get hr to 140.

My question is since I am 5'10" and weigh 150 on a good day, could my muscle mass (or lack of) be causing my heart to beat faster during exercise?    If so how can I safely increase it.  My genes are reluctant to allow me to gain weight.

Thanks for any suggestions.
I've exercised JUST about everyday OVER a yr. now.  My hear rate is high as well.  I slow down when it goes to 175 or above... BUT why does it jump to 175. then 189 then 160 and back and forth... no steady read,.  I've switched machines thinking the monitor was broken.  It is still the same.
I have been experiencing out of body experiences while excercising.  I don't even get 15min into my routine when my heart rate shoots up to above 150 and I get dizzy, light headed sweaty and alittle disorgientared. It's scary! I went to the cardio doctor and had EKG, stress test with dye, ultrasound of the heart, heart monitor and all were normal. They did say that I had a low resting HR. These episodes really interrupt my workouts. I have to leave in the middle of classes etc. It's really scary.  Now I'm a 47 yr old woman, full hyterectomy, on the vivelle patch .05 which is the lowest dose.  Can these episodes be hormone related? This never happened before...only the last year or so. I used to be known as the "spin queen" and would do a spin class 3/4 days a week now I can't even do it anymore.  Any advice?? Help!!
Hello ALL,  This is a great forum...  So much good info.. Well I like to share my info:
I am a 36 yo male..  Very athletic in my Highschool / college years(played football and wrestled).. At the age of 32yo i was diagnoised with GAD/Panic disorder, but not bad enough for meds.. I also had 3 bouts of cardio induces HYPERVENTALATING.. I went to the ER right after(drove myself) and each time the ER Said it was stress/anexity..

Anyhow I just got back into Cardio after not doing any for 8 months.. I was amazed on how fast my HEART RATE has adjusted to the exercise...
1) First month i did bike and my HR would goto 130 within a few minutes(easiliy)- so i had to peddle easy for 20mins (like 50-60rpms)

2) 2nd month my HR (i really saw the difference in 2-3 weeks) I had to work hard to get my HEART RATE up to 140BPM.. I would have to peddle in the 80-90rpms.. Of coarse if i changed resistance to uppder end like level 8(10 level) I could easily raise my HR..

My problem: I do cardio 5-6 times aweek and  normaly 1 of these days I have a BAD CARDIO day were my HR SPIKES.. I think it may be anexity, but I dont have the normal shortness of breath.. MY heart rate will goto 130-150 easily and wont drop fast when i slow down.. NORMALLY if I get my HR to 150 and slow down my RPM's to 50 my heart would dropped 35+BPM in less than a minute...

I had a regular stress test, blood test,  ekgs, and etc.. My cardio said STOP CHECKING YOUR PULSE..

Any ideas?? I am gonna try weight training to see of this helps.. I just have cevical nek issues so i got to take it slow..   thanks for aeveryones help
don
dax 0007 at hot mail *******
I am a 26 yr old female - very active and have been my whole life.....I don't drink alochol at all, don't smoke, work out 5 days a week, however do suffer from daily anxiety. The last few months I notice that in my Zumba class my Heart Rate goes so high that I Feel like my heart may fly out of my chest....I also feel dizzy too.......Not sure if this is the anxiety or if something is wrong with my heart. My mother is overweight and has various heart issues/heart disease.......so it could be inherited from her.....but agian, not sure if its the anxiety talking......I do know that my heart beats SO Hard even walking up 3 flights of stairs and I'm very lean, muscular and healthy..............I wonder if I should have a stress test taken? I now panic that I will have a heart attack while doing cardio......it freaks me out!
I am 25 years old, I work out 5 days a week, my heart rate is always between 165 and 190 when I work out. I have HYPOTHYROID which I am medicated for however my doctor claims this has a direct impact on my heart rate. If you are noticing you have a low resting rate and all the sudden you skyrocket to 170+ without even breaking a sweat, get tested! its a simple blood test and if you do have it, fixing it makes all the difference in the world, lose weight faster, more energy, no more dry skin, better moods.. just thought i'd throw that out there.
I have worked out all my life.  I have been practicing yoga for over 5 years regualrly.  generally I can keep my heartrate below 160, but this is high for my age.  Howeve, I experience no symptoms, pain, or even heavy breathing.  At times it weirdly shoots up to (today) 198) but I felt no different I figure it is really a glitch in the maching.  I have worked out deliberatly intense to get my heartrate to the max - at even at 40 my max is over 200 (so the charts lie).  I have had mine up to 210 over age 40 and experienced no pain or negative symptoms.  I usually have a resting pulse of 65, but I recall once or twice in my 20's it being over 113 - merely due to the symptomatic nervous system - which is why I use yoga and deep breathing.  Normally, I am within my target range within 5 minutes.  Somtimes I am in fat-burning range after two steps...My question is am I really burning more fat?  If I do 30 min at 159 bpm it seem I should burn more than 210 calories, especially when I can do the same on the baike at a lower heart rate.  The scales are bogus in my opinion.

I do worry at time (especially when I see the numbers suddenly jump to 178 and then drop to 140).  This is usually rare, though and I usually attribute it to mechanical error.  I always feel fine.  Should I be concerened?
(over 200 plus since high school track, as well as 20+ years later)

I am a 42 YO male doc with no health issues other than cholesterolemia, which is surely familial and stupid high. I am 5'11'' and 220 lbs and about 18% body fat. I ran cross country in high school as well as track. Back then I weighed 140 lbs. My resting heart rate has never historically been below 55 no matter how well trained. My high school exercise sprint rates would go Well Over 200 (so fast- barely count) with no perceived chest pain. I would grow winded but these were with sub 1 min quarter miles, sub 2 min half miles, 4:30 mile, and 5 and 10K times of sub 17 and sub 38. Despite being lean and fit my heart rate was always the highest of anyone I trained with. My cholesterol was around 220 and HDL only about 35 with triglicerides (triglycerides) over 600, at 16 years of age and 140 lbs. My numbers are all worse now since I am fat and slow. I ran a 1:50 quarter this morning, which is very fast for me now (8.5 of  10 exertion), and my heart rate was over 225. Thats about 125% the traditional 220-age max rate via the traditionally quoted formula .NO pain. Tired and a little sore. (pretty out of shape) I am worried that my 40 years of cholesterol are going to get me. I had an exercise physiologist at the gym, he does the review for the cardiologists, run me on the treadmill and he saw some minor arrythmia towards 190 beats and shut it down. I was just starting to work hard at perhaps a level of 6 or 7 of 10 perceived level maybe 10 min or so into it?? He was surprised how high my rate went, but said it all looked good as it was monitored. I also had a normal resting EKG pre op for a shoulder surgery. I hope this helps. Obviously I am concerned, otherwise I wouldn't be here googling this in the first place. (I have never responded to one of these-ever) A local cardiologist has agreed to treat my cholesterol, I will ask him what he thinks when able. No answers, only some FYI from my particular history. Everyone, seems to think I am going to have a cardiac event, frankly, I wonder myself. The replies here have provided some level of assurance. I am mostly fearful of pushing to hard. The last time I did the "old guy routine' with a personal trainer and tried to bench 300 (did it, easy till it ripped out my humerous- only 6 weeks of weights), I "burst" my pec major and had to have it repaired (rare complete avulsion with bone anchor).  Now I can barely do a push up 2 years later since most of the muscle is still avulsed and flapping around on my chest. I am a little fearful of the corrsponding "old guy cardiac burst', until then I am gunna push, but not 'max out'.
Complicated question, but i'll try to answer in plain english:

q. will I die if my heart rate goes to high?
a. unlikely, as the heart rate goes up it will get to a point where its efficiency as a pump will drop dramatically, and following this would be a dramatic drop in blood pressure, this would usually lead to a loss of conciousness but in those with cardio-vascular disease could lead to heart attack. The real danger is taking you blood pressure too high which can lead to stroke so look out for headaches.

q. will training at a high heart rate do me damage?
a. unlikely, but it trains your heart to pump faster not harder. the real advantage to exercise for health is training your heart to pump harder. Really fit people have much lower resting heart rates because their heart pumps more blood on each beat and their body uses the blood more efficiently. Couple this with the ability to take their heart rate up a little higher than the rest of us and you will see that the amount of blood they can supply to their muscles is vastly increased.

q. how can I lower my heart rate while running at the same intensity?
a. make your muscles stronger, do weights, it makes them more efficient and lowers their demand for blood to be supplied. Also if you are new to exercise your muscles wont be as strong or as efficient so your heart rate will need to be higher, as you get used to it and stronger
your heart rate will drop a little.

q. what can effect my heart rate on different days?
a. usually stimulants (coffee, nicotine), dehydration, low blood sugar (running in the morning before breakfast will give a higher bpm than before dinner). altitude (less oxygen available), having not left enough time after eating (blood is absorbing nutrients from the intestines and so is not available to the muscles) and mood.

we are all different, if you watch 2 cyclists go up a hill at the same speed you may find that one pedals faster and in a lower gear than the other, same goes for our hearts. Then you see a top class racer, pedalling both faster and harder, overtake them both.

35 Year Old Male
160 lbs
Run 3 / 4 times a week: 6-7 miles each time
Slow run = above 9 mins/mile
Fast run = below 8:30 mins/mile
Slow Run = 150 - 165bpm
Fast Run = 180 - 200bpm
Heart rate range sustained for entire workout (usually about an hour)
Resting Heart Rate:  a little unclear but generally between 70 - 90 bpm
Time to reach max heart rate: Within 1st Mile
Measured heart rate has always been historically high, although i have only been active for the last 18 months
Ran Marathon and Climbed Kilimanjaro this year
Want to run tests, but afraid of being tagged with pre-existing condition if something is found.  Thoughts?
When I do Cardio on the stationary bike my heart rate jumps to 213 at least once during the workout.  My doctor told me to kind of grunt if you will which immediately makes my heart rate drop back down into a normal range again.  My resting heart rate is usually around 63 bpm so figure I just work out really hard.  He says there isn't really any harm as long as it comes right back down again and to monitor it closely when I am working out.
I am a 40 year old male with having an ASD closed by device in October, 2009. After that I used to walk around 1 hr daily morning in the empty stomach. It was going great until I had stomach problem in last July. When I resumed my morning walk all of a sudden i realized that i feel a bit nausea with extreme weakness. Went back to my doctor and she suggested that device is well fit and working there without any issue. I consulted another doc and as per him my heart rate is going down and if it farther deteriorates it might call for a pacemaker implantation. This got puzzled me a bit and stopped doing all sorts of work out. After a break I tried the morning walk again and experiencing the same effect. Is this the impact of my device placement? How to go about now.... I found my pulse is about 66/70 bpm after around 30 mins of walk. Is it alright? Can someone put some light on it?

Thanks - Shofiq
Love this thread.
Conclusions I've come to:
1.  I had heard that the max 220 was never intended as a standard for all people and now I believe it. (I too have a high heart beat.)
2.  If you are a regular excerciser and the heart rate stays high don't worry about it unless there is signifigant pain.
3.  Everybody has different body reactions.  As long as you train for a significant time, don't worry if your heart rate is above the recommended amount.
Comedian Eddie Izzard ran 43 marathons in 51 days after training for 7 weeks.  He was 47 and had no prior history of distance running.  My guess is if he paid attention to the heart rate formulas he would have never done it. (check it out on wikipedia)
Hi, I read about your low blood pressure and your high heart rate. I have the same problem and my dr said I have Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrom (syndrome) and Orthostatic Hypotension. He is going to put me on meds for it. You may want to ask your dr about a tilt table test. also you may want to have your blood tested to check for anemia. vegetarians are more prone to developing it. that could also contribute to the low blood pressure. just a few ideas for you. hope it helps!

Folks,
I have done weight workouts and exercise bike-then-Road bike for 25 years 5 days per week or more. Road bike pretty fast with heart rate monitor. I am 71 Y.O. , 135#, 5'8". Smoked in youth, gave up moderate drinking. Resting BPM is 65-72.
3.5 years ago had aortic valve replaced along with Dacron aorta and 2.5 years ago became vegan with fat intake below 20 grams per day.
Past 2 years I get sudden spikes in heart rate when riding --- up to  160 to 212 or so. First this was occasionally and I thought it was electrical interference and bought new monitor. Now I ride and my BPM stays about 110-115 and then may inch  up to 120 and then suddenly spikes to 162 and maybe 212 usually after grooving at maybe 15MPH or climbing a grade. I ease off and it drops pretty fast. This happens every ride now and I do not feel like I am working very hard though I feel slightly shaky afterwards (maybe nerves). I find it hard to hit my target 130 and stay there on my bike.
On rainy days I may go to the the gym and do tread mill at 3.8 MPH at 15% incline and never get spike and hold pretty well at 128-135 or so.
  My cardiologist (marathon runner) just blows me off, says my echo shows strong heart and pig valve working fine. Says BPM spike is electronic interference.
I do not drink much H2O so am increasing my water intake. One cup 50% decaf coffee. I am retire technical director (chemistry) and know how to analyze data so i'll figure this out if I don't die first.
Jim B.
Lots of great info here!  I am 38 and have been running for about 2 months on the treadmill.  I do interval training so I walk at 4.0 for a lap, then jog for a mile a 6.0, then walk for a lap, jog for 2 laps, walk a lap and jog for 1 lap.
So about 2.5 miles total, but only jogging for 1.5 miles. When I jog, my HR goes up to about 175 and I don't feel 6.0 is all that fast.  I am at 1.5% incline so it is more like outside.   When I walk it goes down about about 137-144 which is still above target for my age.  Sometimes I try to sprint at 9-10 mph for 30 seconds and my HR goes up to about 185.  Like many of you, I feel like I need to slow down and be careful.  I wanted to try to do a 5k, but can't get to the point of going past a mile straight on the treadmill.  I have had a stress/echo which stated there was some "tachacardia" but not to be concerned about that? I also get some palpitations at times, but the they were diagnoses as PCV or (early heart beats lower in the heart?).  When I was in high school I played football and was a running back. During my Jr. and Sr. years , I started to become very dizzy, neaseous, and weak after on full out run. I was pretty much usless after that and was probably playing at 50% of capacity.  Very tough 2 years. My Freshman and Sophomore years, I had none of these symptoms.  I had a stress test (back in the early 90's) that showed nothing and they tried to say it was asthma, which it was not. No trouble breathing at all.  I wonder if this is all related?  Any comments/ help/ advice would be greatly appreciated!  
Just want to say that after reading several of these posts,  I don't see any mention of what people are eating.  I am not a Doctor.  But, I have made changes to what I eat and feel a huge change in my regular exercise.  It is so easy to not eat well.  Try lowering sodium intake.  Just about everyone gets way more than enough.  Get natural carbs and protein.  Lower the fat and cholesterol.  Do not get rid of it but adjust for you.  YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT.
I am a 28 year old female and pretty healthy.  I have also been having heart problems during which my heart will start racing and I get short of breath and chest pains.  I've had EKG ECG Holter, etc and all tests came back normal.  Lately when I do cardio (maybe 20-30 mins on a x-trainer), my heartrate will be steady at around 135-140 for the first 10 mins, then will drop to 109 in a matter of a minute or two (while still maintaining the same exercise pace) and then it spikes to well over 180 (still at the same pace).  This all happens in a matter of minutes.  My doctor is looking into other possibilities but just wondering if anyone else experiences this or knows what it is??
I am 28, 5'11, 155 lb female...
I notice my heart rate jumps quite a lot when i am active. I have mild RVH from a ventricular septal defect when i was an infant. My resting heart rate is in the 60s. I deal with orthostatic hypotension at times as well.

While riding a stationary bike, for 5 minutes at 21 mph my heart rate jumps up to 180, by the time I am almost 25 minutes I am around 200 bpm. short of breath, and slightly dizzy.
I was worried if continuing to ride everyday and keeping my heart rate that high could be dangerous... besides not falling or whatever.
all of my abdominal muscles cramped up too, they are still sore, not really sure why that happened
Jeez im glad to hear im not the only one with a high hr.  Im a 21 year old male and i use to exersize in the 170-200 range with resting in the 50s.  My heart rate would jump almost instantly when i began exersize then fall dramatically the momemt i stopped.  Thenn i went into afib and didnt exersize for a couple months.  Now i have very frequent PVCs. Wen i exersize i try to keep my heart rate low but its still up in the 180 and i stop when it goes above cuz im scarred of more arrythmias... Does anyone know if its healthy for all of us to be like this?
I am a 24yr old female. I am 5' 0" weigh 160lbs and seem to be having trouble losing weight. I eat healthy, was going to a women's gym, doing circuit training. I also did their weight management program which taught me how to eat. My dr has checked my thyroid and said that it is fine. Both my dr and the trainers at the gym said I was doing things right.  I recently switched from the gym I was going to, to a "real" gym. While on the eliptical machine yesterday, the machine told me my heart rate was 198. I was only exercising lightly and barely broke a sweat. I am scared for what it might have been had I actually felt I was working out. I called my dr this morning but she has yet to get back to me. I slowed down on the machine to try and lower my heart rate a little, but in order to keep it in the 180s, I was going so light the machine kept pausing, thinking I had stopped.  Once in the past, when I donated blood, they told me my resting pulse was 100. No one has ever told me this was a concern before, but the numbers on the machine at the gym certainly scared me. Is it safe for me to continue working out?
I am a 38 yr old male 160 lb 5'2  and for about 6 years now I've been conscious of my heart rate being much higher than normal. My resting heart rate is around 90, so I very easily get over 145 when working out at the eliptic machine. Last week a doctor that was working out next to me noticed my heart rate, which was at 150 at the time and was very concerned because the speed that I was working out at was very slow (4.5 mph). He told me that we should never exceed 85% of your heart's max and that at my age, 145 should be the limit. Taking my heart rate over 145 is risking a heart attack, so I should take it easy and let my physical condition get better and my heart stronger to be able to work out at a faster speed. Hope this helps because I've been reading here about people taking it over 200, that has to be very dangerous.
I noticed that you said your height was 5'2". Smaller adults (and children) tend to have a higher heart rate, so I would say that a resting rate of 90bpm is actually okay for you. Also, the HR monitors on gym equipment is not accurate unless used in conjunction with an electrode chest strap. According to the sensors on the (new!) treadmill at my gym, I've had my HR jump from 185 to 150 up to 190 then down to 140 all in the space of about a minute, with no change of intensity, so I just ignore it now until I can afford a decent HRM watch.
If you go by the generally used calculation (220 - age = max HR) then 85% for a 38yr old would be 154bpm, not 145.
If you take into account your resting heart rate (which in your case is already a little high)
and apply the Karvonen method *(Target HR = ((HRmax − HRrest) × % intensity) + HRrest)*
then you actually get 168bpm for your target heart rate. I'd say this is a more accurate number to go by, as it is based more on your own personal body rate than just your age.
Another thing to mention is dehydration-- if you're not keeping hydrated enough during exercise that'll push your heart-rate up too.
Hope that helps a little bit!

Every time run and work up my self for a short time my heart start to race and I struggle to breathe and I am going to d army what can I do to build my stamina up and stop that short breathing help me plz
Have you tried interval training? It's great at getting you fitter in a shorter space of time.

A quick intro to it, if you don't already do it;
Give yourself a 5min warm-up, then run(or jog if that's all you can manage) at about 85% max heartrate (don't go higher at this stage, as it will just exhaust you and you're trying to improve your fitness, not weaken all your muscles)  just for 1 minute. Slow right down to moderate/brisk walking pace for 90secs, this will let your heartrate come back down and allow you to breathe easy. Then go back up to a run for just another minute, etc etc, until you have your 20/30/40/whatever mins done. Make sure you cool down at the end, about 5mins. After a week, (or sooner if you train every day) increase your timings to 90secs runs and 90secs walks. Next is 2min runs and 1min walks. After that go back to 1min runs/90secs walks, but rev up your speed a bit, and continue the same patterns as before. You should find it easier by now to run faster, and knowing that you only have another 59secs or whatever to go makes it seem even more do-able, and before you know it you're running 10/15min stretches without collapsing! Hope that helps.
Ok so I have just started biking for the first time this season. I was out yesterday and my heart rate got to about 183 after only a few minutes of biking. I am not in any way healthy which is why I am trying to get it under control...but I went to the doctor's and they said that my heart rate shouldn't be that high. But when my heart in is the "normal" range, I'm not getting a work out. At work, where I have to sit all day, my heart rate is normally around 90 (I have a heart rate watch). Should it be this high? I am already doing strength training and intervals. I wouldn't worry about it but I feel like I am going to be sick when it gets that high.
Does anxiety run in your family? Because you may be having an anxiety attack without realizing it. Many people seem to think that they weren't anxious about anything but many thoughts are rarely acknowledged by your conscious yet still have a large impact on your emotions. Emotions have a great deal of control over the CNS and can cause spikes in HR and BP. Sometimes the fear of heart pain can be classified as an anxiety trigger. I'm not trying to say there isn't anything wrong with your heart but if the physical tests don't come up with anything I would suggest meditation to help ease your anxiety during an attack.
I also get my heart rate well into the 200's without much effort.  I have a pre-existing condition of a nerve bundling which complicates things a great deal. I find taking a multi vitamin and drinking a sugary drink as opposed to water during a work out helps keep my heart stable. Also try to avoid caffeine before a workout.
Best luck.
I!m 65 and have had, until recently had a normal exercise experience ... Work on a treadmill and increase speed to get to a desired heart rate. About six months ago I noticed my heart rate was shooting up after moderate exercise and now will pop up to 120 with a few steps or very moderate exercise. Granted, that is not a high rate for many on this post. My resting heart rate is 50-55. I take lipitor and have good numbers but worry about muscle issues ... had sore ribs for several months. Will check my thyroid. I do have panic issues.
I know this is old but in case anyone may read:

I had issues including high heart rate that turned out to be postural orsthatic tachacardia syndrome. It's hallmark is a heart rate increase of 30 bpm when you stand or over 120 when standing. There are other symptoms too that you may not think are connected. It can be debilitating, I'd know. A speed walk for me = 180- 195 bpm. Walking up the stairs = 160 standing= 130. Resting = 100. It suuucckks. Beta blockers help. Look into it & talk to dr cause it's common but most drs aren't very informed about it.
I am 40 year old male and ex forces, i have started wearing a heart monitor while exersising, and have noticed my heart rate is high while exersising (eg) today 9-5-11 i ran 6.7 mile in 1hr 7 mins and my heart rate was 180-190 do i run a rick of having a heart attack if i keep it up,  and i am trying my hardest to watch what i eat. please can someone enlighten me
roobsta:

I like your theory about the heart muscle growth, it is better than the Doctor's theory which is nothing.

Roobsta and Naenae9155:

My Cardio Fitness test results were that I am in the top 95% of heart health, my oxygen utilization was above normal, etc. etc - my HR was 195 at peak but did not alarm the tester, and I could not catch my breath - also no alarm for them.

I then had an echo done, and they injected bubbles into my veins to better view the heart wall structures and to more clearly see holes in the walls, should there be any - bottom line, all systems go.

I am still answerless which is okay for now.  I am being medically discharged from the Army for other medical reasons and have not been actively engaged in cardio activity for about a year - which is a blessing since I cannot perform to standard anyway :)

Once I am healthier and medication free I have every intention to re-engage my physical stamina... I miss my adrenaline rushes. LOL

I had never even considered over training, nor was it suggested by the professionals.  I do hope that is the answer, though, because that is TOO EASY to fix :)))

sorry for the hugely delayed replies, I have been terribly busy with my other issues.  Hopefully you will see this reply.  Good luck to you!

shany25m
I'm a 46 y.o. male, 5'5", 155 lbs.  My resting heart rate is 60-80 bpm and about 55 bpm when I wake up. I've always had a faster heart rate all my life.  I run 3 miles 3 times per week.  I also workout with weights and do other cross training and have done so most of my life.  Over the last year, I noticed that my heart rate during intense exercise was reaching 180-190 bpm (after I built up to a sprint) and during the steady pace part of my run was averaging about 160 bpm.  Last year, it was only about 145-160 bpm max.  Recently, I noticed that my heart rate reached 200+ bpm on similar runs and a couple times stayed at 200+ for 30 minutes AFTER I finished running and was just sitting.  I went to the doctor and had an EKG which came back normal and my blood pressure was also normal.  I started to deduce (besides aging) what I was doing differently and I came up with a list of things that I had been doing more of the past year.  1.  Being stressed, feeling anxious more than usual the past 2 years.  2.  Drinking ice teas during lunch and having green tea every day (lots more caffeine than I'm used to as I'm not a coffee drinker).  3.  Eating/snacking more (especially chips like Doritos).  4.  Sleeping irregularly.  Immediately, I saw that it seemed like each of these activities could be feeding each other.  The caffeine from the ice teas and green tea were adding to my anxiety and stress and also preventing me from getting a solid night's worth of sleep, which in turn was making me weaker and more fatigued overall.  The most interesting thing I found was that I also seemed to have an adverse reaction to MSG, which is a known heart rate increaser.  I was dosing-up my body with MSG each time I snacked on Doritos after or between meals.  One weekend (the one after which I had the 200+ heart rate that didn't come down for 30 min), I had an especially MSG-filled weekend as I had a large bowl of soup and pickled condiments which must have been laden with MSG.  I also had several servings of Doritos.  The most interesting of all these MSG-related facts I found is that the protein drinks and protein bars that I have been using before and after workouts (Whey Protein) has the same exact effect as MSG.  In fact if you look-up hidden sources of MSG, you will find most proteins are "free glutamates" just like MSG, in addition to many flavor enhancers in chips and other food not labelled as MSG.  You can imagine, that one weekend, I had MSG soup, MSG chips and MSG protein.  Combined with my tea drinking and lack of sleep, it produced a perfect storm of fast heart rate.  I've since tried to relax more, cut out the caffeine and chips as well as the protein drink and now I'm back to 160-180 bpm during moderate to hard exercise.  I'm hoping to bring it down more with continued awareness and vigilance.  Best of luck and good health wishes to all of you.
I'm a 46 y.o. male, 5'5", 155 lbs.  My resting heart rate is 60-80 and about 55 bpm when I wake up. I've always had a faster heart rate all my life.  I run 3 miles 3 times per week.  I also workout with weights and do other cross training and have done so most of my life.  Recently I noticed that my heart rate during intense exercise was reaching 180-190 bpm (after I built up to a sprint) and during steady pace part of my run was averaging about 160 bpm.  Recently, I noticed that my heart rate reached 200+ bpm on similar runs and a couple times stayed at 200+ for 30 minutes AFTER I finished running and was just sitting.  I went to the doctor and had an EKG which came back normal.  I started to deduce (besides aging) what I was doing differently and I came up with a list of things that I had been doing more of.  1.  Being stressed, feeling anxious more than usual the past 2 years.  2.  Drinking ice teas during lunch and having green tea every day (lots more caffeine than I'm used to as I'm not a coffee drinker).  3.  Eating/snacking more (especially chips like Doritos).  4.  Sleeping irregularly.  Immediately, I saw that it seemed like each of these activities could be feeding each other.  The caffeine from the ice teas and green tea were adding to my anxiety and stress and also preventing me from getting a solid night's worth of sleep, which in turn was making me weaker and more fatigued overall.  The most interesting thing I found was that I also seemed to have an adverse reaction to MSG, which is a known heart rate increaser.  I was dosing-up my body with MSG each time I snacked on Doritos after or between meals.  One weekend (the one after which I had the 200+ heart rate that didn't come down for 30 min), I had an especially MSG-filled weekend as I had a large bowl of soup and pickled condiments which must have been laden with MSG.  I also had several servings of Doritos.  The most interesting of all these MSG-related facts I found is that the protein drinks and protein bars that I have been using before and after workouts (Whey Protein) has the same exact effect as MSG.  In fact if you look-up hidden sources of MSG, you will find most proteins are "free glutamates" just like MSG, in addition to many flavor enhancers in chips and other food not labelled as MSG.  You can imagine, that one weekend, I had MSG soup, MSG chips and MSG protein.  Combined with my tea drinking and lack of sleep, it produced a perfect storm of fast heart rate.  I've since tried to relax more, cut out the caffeine and chips as well as the protein drink and now I'm back to 160-180 bpm during moderate to hard exercise.  I'm hoping to bring it down more with continued awareness and vigilance.  Best of luck and good health wishes to all of you.
Can someone tell me why when testing heart rate during exercise - someones heart rate can be higher before light exercise then after?
I bought a heart monitor a week ago. I'm 39 and more or less fit, so I should have a MHR around 181. My minimum heart rate is 56-58. Well, I start jogging, and I'm 160. When running at my average level, 5:40 min/Km I'm +185, and when I go uphill, it goes well +200. I can assure you I'm totally OK, really confortable. Those formulae to calculate the MHR must give an average, but there is obviously a very wide range over and under that level. My conclusion is that a lot of people must be very under or over training.
I am a 56 yo male, 6'0", 210 lbs (was abt 225 for awhile) never smoked, minor alcohol during college years, tea-totaller until two years ago, now a glass of red wine each of about 5 days per week.  Was very, very active in college, but career led me to become fairly sedentary.  Always had a low resting heart rate (now 58-60 when I wake up before getting out of bed).  I have PVCs -- I sometimes have a "run" of these that lasts maybe 10 seconds that will leave me light-headed and anxious, but I've learned to recognize what it is and relax through it.  I sometimes had these 1-2 times per week, but much less frequently now (and was rarely related to exertion).  I had exhaustive heart tests (stress, nuclear, etc) about seven months ago and was found to be "out of shape" but no real problems.

Enough background ...

Anyway, I was 220 lbs again two months ago, and decided to: (a) cut out most red meat from my diet; (b) cut all carbonated beverages (I don't drink coffee, and rarely have tea); (c) eliminate nearly all sweets/desert (well, *sometimes* I treat myself to an ice cream).  I still eat cheese and other non-healthy things.  I also started back on the treadmill.  Always 30 minutes, with a base rate of 4.0mph, with 2 to 3 short sprints (7.0mph for 1 to 1.5 minutes, stopping when I just can't go any more).  My heart gets to about 110bpm after about 6 mins at 4.0, which is when I generally do my first sprint.  It reaches about 151, then I go back to 4.0, and it settles after a minute or two to about 116bpm.  About 5 mins later, I repeat, and the heart goes to about 156, then settles to about 120-122bpm. I am soaked in sweat after the second sprint.  If it gets back under 120, I'll do another sprint, but then it will only settle to about 124 and not lower.

Last night, I was on my second sprint and it hit 162 after 1.24 min.  I slowed to 4.0, expecting it to settle back as usual. This time, however, it took longer to slow, went down to 156bpm, then started rising again to 163 and wouldn't lower (my breathing, though, was recovering some).  I felt a bit light-headed, stopped and laid down.  It did settle, of course, but it scared me.  Am I over-doing it?

I have lost 10 lbs (to 210), but want to lose another 20 and strengthen my heart.

Thanks in advance!
So i kind of have the same problem as everyone else but its a little different. I'm 20 years old, 4'11 and 120 pounds, I already have been diagnosed with a irregular heart beat and have a mediatronic chip implanted in my chest to monitor my heart beat so the doctors can figure out what goes on when i sometimes pass out (my cardiologist hasnt been working too hard to find out whats the real problem) Anyways i just got a gym membership and noticed the machines keep turning off on me because my heart rate gets maxed out within LITTERALLY 2 minutes of walking on the treadmill. I even met with a personal trainer to figure out what excersizes would be best for my high heart rate and she basically told me just to diet and go on short walks, ya again not alot of help! i feel fine when i work out i know my limits to when im going to pass out i just want to know if i ignore my heart rate what is the worst thing that could happen to me?...
I don't know as an expert, but I had similar "feelings"some number of years ago.  It turned out that I had a collapsed artery.  We were not able to determine that without having an angiogram.  Angioplasty was performed while we were in, and was fine for almost 10 years.  Finally had to have stents inserted, and have been excellent for about 7 years more.  I would get a second opinion.  I Had three opinions before the final cardiologist said there was no way to be sure without an Angiogram.  He was right. I am also on Metoprolol Succinate ER (Toprol generic) 25mg, plus Lipitor.  I am 66 years old, walk 4.5 miles in under an hour "every" day.  I take my meds religiously, and watch my diet (to some extent).  Feel great.
my resting heartrate is 90. so if i subtract that from 180, I get 90. So, how do I even exercise at all? I have HBP & must lose weight so I started to try to workout, & I say 'try' because after 1 minute of just walking slowly my heartrate is up to 130 & I get chest tightening & pains. suggestions?
A long time since you posted your comments (2006) But they seem most relevant to my circumstances. I am a mountaineer who trains hard. My resting pulse is between 48 and 50, but when I am working at max. output I sometimes experience a constriction feeling either side of my larynx which I know will be followed by a rapid increase in my pulse (I wear a HR monitor). So a pulse of 140 will climb very rapidly to 218. Yesterday I hit 228. Within two minutes of stopping exercise, the pulse is plummeting back down to around 130.  I am in my late 50's. Although the feeling is uncomfortable, there is no pain. No doctor has been able to say what is going on. As a fellow 'sufferer', what are your thoughts? regards  Tim Ralph
If your resting heart rate is naturally high you might want to go and get a blood test for thyroid activity. A Hyperactive Thyroid means that your body metabolises at a higher rate than it should which means symptoms include high heart rates, heart palpitations and sometimes intestinal disturbances such as diarrhoea. It's very under diagnosed, yet extremely common.
Just read your post from 2009 and am curious where you are condition wise at this point 3 years later.  www.ganious.com
I am 62 and like others here find my heart rate exceeds text book norms when I exercise. It can pop up to 158 quite easily when cycling, even though I am not feeling especially stressed physically. I had a thorough heart evaluation the other day as I was getting mild chest pains and was told my heart is fine except for a very small and inconsequential valve leak. My wife, 58, also likes to exercise and has real difficulty getting her heart above 145. My instinct is that heart rate is not a good measure of heart health and I have stopped worrying about my heart rate when exercising. I do however try and train at lower heart rate levels as I believe this increases fitness faster than busting a gut at very elevated heart rate levels every time one goes training.