High heart rate during exercize
I have never used a heart rate monitor until recently. I am a 51 year old female and I usually run 3-5 miles three times a week,including hills. I also cycle, ski, hike, etc. I recently had a physical and the MD gave me an excellent bill of health. My resting heart rate is 57. The charts say I should remain in the 144-169 range. I feel fine running, not light headed or dizzy, but I can't get my heart rate below 170 - it is geneally around 174 and was up around 180 when I was running hills today. When I cool down, it drops very rapidly back into a range around 110 - 120. The medical sites say I should stay in the 150 range, but I'm not even breathing hard at 150! My question - should I be concerned?
Check out the other high exercise heart rate thread above--there is some info there.  You sound sort of like me in that you can't seem to keep your heart rate in the range that it's "supposed" to be in based on the formulas while you're running, even though your resting heart rate is good and you recover quickly.
I had a treadmill stress test which revealed that my heart rate is very high for my age and I didn't do very well on test.  My echocardiogram was fine though. Doctor wasn't concerned about the high heart rate as my heart itself is o.k. He said that it could be hyperkinetic heart which just means  a normally higher heart rate, but heart is fine.  I agree that not everyone will be in the "normal" range. I'm sure if your doctor was concerned about anything he would have told you.
Interesting...I wonder if that applies for someone whose resting rate is normal or low but exercise heart rate is high (my resting HR is 54, but I exceed 200 at times during my usual run).
Apparently hyperkinetic heart means that the heart is sensitive and goes up high and fast.  I can go from sitting to standing and the heart will go right up there.  If heart itself is o.k., then there shouldn't be any concern.  Tha't what I've been toled anyway.
I checked the other thread with this subject: "High heart rate during exercize" and decided to ask my MD. He is a healthy living guru and cycles extensively. I told him my blood pressure and resting heart rate (57) are extremly low, but my exercize heart rate is extremely high (175 - 190). His suggestion was strength training. He said a regular routine of lifting weights will strengthen all my muscles including my heart muscles, which should bring my heart rate into a more acceptable range. He also said strength training will also help the occasional knee pain I have when cycling. I hope this helps someone else. I know I have not emphasized strength training at all, even though I know it helps on the ski hill and with my golf swing.
You are so right.  Actually your doctor is.  I posted this on another forum also. My cardiologist explained that when you are walkingng for instance, if your muscles in your legs are weak then your heart has to work harder and pump more blood to the legs etc.  This all makes sense.  So, that's why strength training is important also.
I am a healthy 42 woman and my heart rate gets high when I do aerobics/step. The trainer told me that I need to work at target heart rate, ideally 2 months, to develop a base. Eventually you train your heart to work more efficiently so you will have to eventually work hard to get your heart in the target heart rate range.
When I am in the target range it is really easy. I dont feel like I am working hard but my hr monitor says I am.
Interesting.