How do I continue losing weight?
Dr. Vinod:

I am a female at 5¨6 inches tall. I weigh 69.6 kilos or 153.1 pounds.  I am currently following a 1700 calorie diet and working out by way of running and spinning 3-5 days a week.  I started this 1700 calorie diet when I realized I was gaining weight despite all the working out and I got up 71.8 kilos. I was eating healthy, but ALOT more protein by way of fish and legumes since I don´t eat meat, and occasionally chocolate...opps.

I have been on this diet for 1 month now and I have only dropped my weight from 71.8 to 69.6 kilos (2.2 kilos or 4.8 pounds) and I am very frustrated.  It seems like I am dropping the weight at a crawl pace.
Can you please tell me what I am doing wrong?  Do I need to lessen my caloric intake or do I need to increase the exercise? Do I need to eat more calories?
I am trying to reach my goal weight of 60 kilos or 132 pounds...although I think at one point in my life I was at 126 pounds (approx. 10 yrs ago on a high protein diet and 2hrs of exercise everyday.)-which I would love to attain again!!!  I think this goal is reasonable considering the weight table for my height is between 116-147 pounds or 53-67 kilos.
I do have hypothyroidism however, I am taking Eutirox and  I have been told that my thryoid levels are normal now or rather since Oct. But maybe, I should insist on being retested and see if my thyroid has gone on vacation?issue.
Please enlighten me as to what I am doing wrong!  Thank you in advance!!
Hi there!

If you are aiming at losing weight, it is important to calculate your current BMI and the target BMI. The target BMI should be in a healthy range. Aside indulging in moderate amounts of physical exercise it is also essential to maintain a healthy diet plan. A healthy diet should consist of adequate amounts of calories with carbohydrates, proteins, fat and plenty of fruits and vegetables to supply vitamins and minerals. Skipping any of the food components is not considered healthy. Also when aiming at losing weight the protein intake may be slightly increased and the carbohydrate intake slightly lowered. The calorie requirement should also be adjusted for ones physical activities as well. Lower than adequate calorie intake can also cause weight gain, due to the stress hormones kicking in. Start with a healthy breakfast, moderate lunch and light dinner. Also keep a track of calorie intake and your work out. 0.5-2 pounds a week is decent weight loss. The weight loss may be slow initially due to the muscles building and would gradually gain pace. With gradual consistent efforts, you should be able to lose weight as desired in a healthy way.
Hope this helps.

Take care!