Exercise & Fitness Community
How much weight should I lift, should my muscles hurt?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Hi everyone i've been weight training for around four months and while I am seeing results such as having to increase the weight because its getting easier to lift and my muscles seem more toned I never feel soreness or pain after working out not even a day after I just don't feel any soreness at all. I do feel tightness immediately after working out and my muscles feel kind of weak a couple hours after working out but never any pain. So my question is am I supposed to feel pain or soreness as an indication that i'm lifting enough weight? Or is it normal not to feel sore?

Thank you for your help :)
How much weight do you lift? How many reps? If you're wanting to build muscle, you should go for the heaviest weight that allows you to still keep perfect form for just 1-5reps, for 3sets (or 4sets for females as it takes more effort to develop muscle.)  Once you can do 6reps to FAILURE start training with a heavier weight. Failure's not meant to actually result in agony, but there is a definite point of "wow, I can't possibly do another" where your muscles are trembling and screaming for a rest, and if you tried to lift again your form would be off and you risk damaging yourself. If you do that already, and still have zero aches the day after, then you're just incredibly lucky I guess!