Exercise & Fitness Community
Huge stomach, hereditary?

Our Exercise & Fitness community to help you take charge of your health. Ask a question, join a conversation, get tips: fitness, nutrition, and management tools / trackers.

Huge stomach, hereditary?

Hi, I had an earlier question that wasn't answered :( So hopefully someone can help me with this.

I'm a 22 year old, East Indian female and everyone in my family has a small body but large stomach. I've had this problem since I was very little, the rest of my body is skinny, I weight 110, but my stomach sticks out and it's hard, almost as if I am pregnant. It's very embarrasing, people have actually asked me if I was pregnant before.

Anyway, since everyone in my family suffers this, also many East Indian's do, is it just hereditary, or can I do something about it?

I don't have any experience with this subject, but is your spine (back) curved in, towards your abdomen, a little more than other people that are not in your family? It would make sense then that your protruding stomach is just part of your genetic makeup. You say it is hard, and not soft, so it is not a layer of fat that you can exercise off. Maybe research Pilates, to see if that can help you to create a slightly more streamlined torso by elongating your muscles...
Hi there!

The body shape often tends to be genetically determined; however other than that, environmental factors like diet, level of stress, physical work out etc also play a major role. Ones basal metabolic rate is largely determined by ones gender, build, a few hereditary factors, muscular mass and a few hormonal and endocrine factors. There are also some genetic tendencies for a few systemic pathologies that tend to be related to the body shape. This essentially means that some people might have to work harder than others to get in shape and it is just hard and not impossible. Ones basal metabolic rate is largely determined by ones gender, build, a few hereditary factors, muscular mass and a few hormonal and endocrine factors. There are also some genetic tendencies for a few systemic pathologies that tend to be related to the body shape. I would suggest beginning with an adequate diet with slightly increased amount of proteins and plenty of fruits and vegetables. To aim a uniformly toned body you may take up activities like swimming, aerobics etc. If you aim to reduce fat from the lower part of the body avoid sitting for long hours and positions that require stooping forward. Likewise activities like biking may not be beneficial. While exercising one should try to concentrate on lower part of the body like ab-crunches, leg lifts, side-crunches or pilates. You may also like to join a gym or aerobics class for the same. For best results it is also advised to rotate between various exercise regimens.
Hope this was useful.

Take care!
mishymoshymarcy Your life is as good as you... Comment
1 hr ago
mishymoshymarcy commented on oral presentation
1 hr ago
Nighthawk61 commented on oral presentation
Achieve your weight goals
Exercise Tracker
Make exercise part of your routine