Exercise & Fitness Community
Itchy legs....help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Viewing 201-210 comments:
I have been suffering this problem a couple of weeks even though I stay fit and active all the time running, cycling, running, spinning, swimming and kick boxing.  

The first thing different I am doing is using a new jacuzzi at the gym but I dont think it is that as not used it since Sat and my itching is worse today even before I exercise.  

The 2nd thing different I have been doing is taking Cod liver oil for my joints.

The other symptons I have found strange is my legs on the front of my shin are really shiney and look like I have oiled them.  I also find that my leg muscles burn when im kick boxing and legs feel tired quicker and my feet feel really cold.

I am extremely fit and have other symptons such as dizzyness if I get up too quick or if I lay down my my head to the right and when i jump up and down  vigourously in circuit training it feels like my lungs are bouncing around and struggle to breath.  

I am training for a competition fighting constantly and I do around 10-20 hours training a week so I know I am far from unfit.  

Im not sure if I agree with the overheating as not hot enough and my feet are cold.  I wont be trying the banana option as trying to loose some weight before my fight.

I think I will be trying the antihistamine and if my itchiness doesnt go away I will be going to see a doctor.  
Omg I have this problem I never thought to look it up till now n I'm so late on the post but me and my friends was just takin a night stroll in downtown and it was cold and i had skinny jeans on I was walking for twenty mins and my thighs started itching so bad to the bone where I wanted to pull my pants down to get to my thighs to sooth the pain of my itch its so irritating !!!!!!!!  And non of my friends new what was wrong I felt so bad Bec he had to leave I couldn't keep walking Bec it hurted and the itch would come right back
WOW!!! This post is from 2007 and people are still posting about their problems. Seems like an antihistamine would be the only relief for most. I take it no one has seen a neurologist?

I have had these symptoms for about 15 years.... And I wish I understood it. These symptoms come when they want and leave when they want. No rhyme or reason.

One thing that does help me, is raising my legs over my head. Sounds silly, but it may work for you.   I'll keep checking back for newer replies, hopefully someone will post some additional information.
I've been dealing with this problem since I was a kid. I ran track in high school and college and have been in excellent shape most of my life, so it wasn't until recently that I noticed it again. I would have to say that those that say that its an issue with blood flow and inactivity are right. I started running again last summer, and had the problem, but it went away after I kept after it for a week. I just started up again and had to stop the first time out on my run.

It is not a weather issue, or a body temperature issue. It happens to me no matter the temperature. I also did P90x a few years ago, which led to heightened levels of body temperature and never had the problem. Only when I run.....

I'm so glad other people have had to deal with this. I've tried explaining it to people in the past and they think I'm crazy.
This used to always happen to me when I was younger playing sport outside and I used to put it down to my circulation.

My latest attack happened as I STOOD watching my Daughter horse riding! - no exercise involved!?  It was a cold day and as usual my legs started to itch really badly.  In fact, worse than ever.  When I got home my legs were the usual red and blotchy and I got in the shower to warm myself up.

The next day when I woke my legs were very painful.  When I saw my legs I was shocked, they were covered in bruises!  Obviously from me rubbing and scratching them - I hope!???

Can someone please help me understand why this is happening to me!
from what I have read, your body releases histamines when you exercise and some people are sensitive to them.  It is not being out of shape.  Try taking an antihistamine up to 2 hrs before any exercise like running and in your case horse back riding.  It is the vibration that is causing it. I don't get itchy using an elliptical.  You have to keep active, at least in my case. If I have a break in exercising I have to start using the antihistamine all over again. If I am consistent for days in a row, it is like the histamines are burned off or I am less sensitive to them. Never itch, if I do, I leave major marks on my legs.  Just rubbing your finger on your leg will make marks.  You need to stop the activity if it is unbearable and don't scratch.  I understand it is hell and you feel as though you want a wire brush to just scratch, but you can't.  Hope this works, this is more common and not very many doctors are knowledgeable about the cause of this.  Good luck.
Hi all fellow itchers,  I ran every day at least 6 miles, skated 4 times a week and trained very hard as was playing for my local roller hocky team. I also played football, but it all stopped at the age of 19, when I too for no known reason started after about 5 minutes of exercise, itching. The itching starts faintly in my upper legs and gets more and more intence until I have to slow down or even stop. The strange thing is that its only when I walk or run. If I cycle then I can ride hard for as long as I like without the itching. I am now 43 and still suffer. Someone must know why this happens.
It's caused by your body attempting to improve its circulation with the increased blood flow. If you alternate lifting weights with legs one day and running another it will boost blood flow with less itching.
This occurs when I walk or run but ONLY in cold weather. For me it is a circulation problem that I've inherited from my mum. We also have Reynauds (when it's cold our hands get very cold) and our blood vessels dilate much larger than normal when it's hot. I have to rub or scratch my legs like mad (thighs, calves, hamstrings). This natural reaction is actually serving to warm up the muscles in order to stop the itching. If I rub my legs for a few minutes to generate heat all over them, the itching goes away. If I rub my legs before jogging on a cold day, they do not itch when they normally would. It's exactly the same as when you've been out in throwing snowballs and then run your hands under warm water - they itch.
I live with asthma-based allergies and take a histamine blocker (Allegra) every single day...as well as several other daily allergy meds (Singulair -leukotriene blocker) so the antihistamine does not seem to make a difference; at least not for me.  I'm in my mid-30's and have experienced this my whole life although it has worsened as I've aged. I am in moderate shape and work out 3-4 days a week pretty regularly.   The itching will occur randomly...it can happen multiple days in a row or not happen for months.  I can be on a casual nigh time stroll with the dogs or jogging for miles, hot/cold weather, inside on a treadmill or outside in any season...I've been unable to relate it to being situational other than it appears to be soley related to walking/running. I ran four miles this past Saturday and Sunday at pretty much the same time of day and same weather conditions.  Saturday I experienced no issue, Sunday I did.  I understand the itching creates emotional stress due to the pain and embarrassment but for me it has almost led me to panic attacks at times when the sensation is too intense and overwhelming.  I would love to heard any other theories/ideas regarding this as doctor's on the whole don't seem to know anything about it.
I have had the exact same symptoms as Nalla had.  Whenever I've been away from jogging or bike riding for a long time then go back to my routine, I experience itching that starts within a few minutes of exercising.  It's been this way since my high school days back in the 70's.  The itching begins in my groin, continues all the way down to my feet and up as far as my chest if I can stand it that long.  So, after years of simply tuffing-out that dreaded "first week" of getting back into my exercise regimen, I finally figured out that if I applied over-the-counter 2% Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride cream to the affected areas before I run or bike (and I mean I slather it on good--groin included) I don't experience the problem.  The more thorough I slather it on, the better protection from the itchies.  I've also discovered that I only have to do this maybe four days before I don't have to use it anymore.  After that my problem becomes staying committed to jogging or biking regularly and not stopping for a month, or two, or three . . . .  Good luck to you if you suffer from "getting-back-into-the-exercise-routine itchies."
I also found out from research that high levels of Niacin can aggravate his as well so the potassium from the bananas helps to balance that.
yup....been happening to me since i was 12, i am 36 now. No exercise is needed to start it. I have always exercised and have never quit. My itch thankfully is only on my thighs, an under the skin tingling, itching, heated feeling like ant under my skin. My method to relieve it is punching my legs. I look crazy but it helps!!!
The only way i can walk run or jog is by taking a zyrtec 1/2 hr to an hour before.otherwise the itch all over my body is so intense i could cry. I too tried walking in all temps, variety of fabricsof workout clothes. Only antihysthamine worked for me.
I have that same problem I play ball I always talk are work it only happens when I walk or jog and it's not all the time bit it's so freakin frustrating I cab even walk a half mike with my wife cause its so irritating.....
HI everyone! I have the same issue. It happens no matter what I am wearing, tight or loose. I haven't really watched what I eat prior to exercise but I don't think it makes a difference. I agree with others in that it happens with "bouncing" either walking fast, running, jumping, etc (also with change in pace and elevation). I used to think it was the circulation thing but it is not. I am 23 and it has been happening for the past five years but never before that. I can take benadryl which "cures" it but it does make you exhausted. So I switched to Claritin (generic). It definitely has to due with histamine. I did consult my physician who only seemed to know what the e-medicine told her. so that's that. So although it is managable when I remember to take the pill that day, I can't spontaneously go for a run, etc.
OMGosh!  Hi all!  I am truly sorry to hear that you are all experiencing the dreaded 'Itchy Legs' syndrome because as a VICTIM of this most profoundly annoying medical mystery I know how you all feel.  

I have been SUFFERING with this condition for 30 years, since I was 17, and for me my symptoms rarely ever happens when it is hot, but mostly when it is cool.  Within a minute of walking the itching starts at my ankles then spreads to the bottom of my feet and up my legs and buttocks.  My skin feels cool to the touch but is actually burning underneath, turns a bright red and gets worst when I begin to scratch it.  

My symptoms also comes with a feeling of abject disgust that starts in the pit of my stomach and spreads to my every thought and I have a strong urge to take a shower, which I do, and scrub from head to toe!  I am so disgusted that I could snap at anyone for anything and a messy environment seems to intensify my feelings driving me to insanity's brink.  

Once my itching got so intense that I have, without a care, stripped off my pants and shoes in PUBLIC and scratched from the bottom of my feet UP my legs and up and down my buttocks.  My skin looked like I had an encounter with a cheetah when I was done; and I wouldn't have cared a fig if I was cited for indecent exposure because the itching was so maddening.....aaaaaarrrrrggggh

I will try the antihistamine and I pray it works but I am hoping that Doctors, with enough complaints, will take a closer look into and discover without supposition, what could possibly be causing  this infuriating condition and find a natural and permanent solution as this 'burning itching' is driving me downright cookoo and it's not for coco puffs!
i have the same exact problem!! i itch so bad that my legs get fire truck red with welps!! the only thing that makes this better is VASOLINE!! put it everywhere you itch rub yourself down!!!!
Exciting to see I'm not the only one with this issue!!  For years nobody has known what the heck I was talking about.  I take Zyrtec daily and do not suffer from this anymore.  If I stop taking the Zyrtec, in 2-3 days running outdoors (especially) brings on that horrible intense painful itching.  I am very active & in shape, so that is not the cause - though like previous commenters, I remember it bein worse when taking a vacation from fitness & starting back up.
Thank you whitelily7,
I truly appreciated your input on this forum. In all actuality, I don't know about an itchy leg cure, but I'm tempted to print your advice out and post it near by as a visual reminder for my daily/weekly discipline for a balanced, harmonized and stress free living environment :)... A million thank you's!!!
Asia ;-)
I'm the same way. Everything grosses me out.
I thought I'd just comment with what I've discovered as being effective in eliminating the itchiness. If you haven't exercised in a while just go for a moderately brisk walk and set a distance or time for your route. As you go if you start to feel unbearably itchy, slow way down to a slow walk. The feeling goes away. Halfway through the route (this is why you need to determine the length) take a little break. Don't sit or anything but just walk like you would in a store (my halfway point is a store lol) walk a little, stand a little, lean a little, text a little, etc. After 5-10 min continue the rest if your route. When I did this, I had no itchiness at all on the way back and didnt need to slow down except for my cool down. It is perfect for walking/jogging outdoors, especially because you can stop at a store or go "smell the roses" or bird watch or something! Don't sit and don't stop, just pace yourself.
I notice my legs itch when i wear clothes that rubs against my legs when i walk. The itch will stop but try not to scratch because it make it worse.
This is so me in the exact way that Nalla and SevenPlus explained and I've been dying to find something to help because I would love to jog or run. This intense itch even happens after just a brisk walk. If anyone finds anything that helps please let me know.
Have you found anything? I took an benadryl antihistamine before I jogged a little the other day and it helped some and I would just walk when I could feel the itch coming and tried to focus on something else but then I passed out as soon as I got back home and slept for a few ours lol. The next day I took a Zyrtec a little before we went on just a brisk walk and it did not help at all.
Is the daily Zyrtec thing helping you still with the itch, I need something!!!!
Also I don't think it's a circulatory thing or weather issue. It happens to me with high impact cardio workouts(jumping/bouncing) sometimes when I'm biking on a bumpy trail my forearms will itch from the vibrations and hot tubs from the jets against my skin vibrating. So I'm convinced it has something to do with the vibrations on the skin.
This is so me when it comes to anything with vibrations/shock that causes me to itch.
Hi, Like the rest of yous i thought iwas the only one that suffered from this, I have had most of the symptoms as the rest of yous but also wanted to add I live in a hot country now and it still happens in the warm weather no matter how slow I walk, I am 27 now this has been going on for about 10years, the doctors have almost laughed at me too and anyone I have tried to talk to about it, ihavent tried the antihistamine yet which I will do, only I am pregnant so will have to wait, the histamine cure seems to be right but I also think it is related to circularity problems too, my sister has Reynauds syndrome, and my temperature is different all over my body and hands go really hot, my thighs, where the itch iis, is really cold, I mean ice cold, It definitely has something to do with the capillaries I think, and god does it make you angry, if anybody crosses me wrong when I have this I have as much temper to kill someone, I mean it literally makes my blood boil till I'm so angry I could explode, and if I am with anybody they always seem to laugh at me, believe me I have stopped myself from pushing them out into the road, I am not usually and angry or bad tempered person but this is agonising, my advice as soon as you feel it coming on, stop, just stop where you are and stand still till you body regulates and do not itch, also try and get to a shop/ house or somewhere you can just stand for a minute and warm up, I'd be interested to find a cure, if anybody can help......
This is exactly what I have experienced since I was about five years old...  now i'm 53. I thought I was alone... One of the hardest things to deal with on top of the awfullness of the condition ( whatever it might be) is the exasperation of friends and family who may be around when it happens. Also the complete lack of interest from any GPs I've tried to discuss this with...On a good day I love walking... have to walk the dog daily... on a bad day ... well obviously you all understand... I often turn down the invitations to walk with friends in case it happens...

Intense under the skin itch/burn... feels like my flesh and bones are under attack... want to rip off clothes to scratch but scratching doesn't help... the itch is below the skin and scratching hurts the skin... and  cold skin going to hot as the itch subsides. Dizzyness, tightness acroos chest, wet nose, panic, muscles seem to become stiffened and painful... heightened sensitivity to smells... often notice the smell of leaves in autumn or exhaust but have ruled these out as a cause... got it when swimming a few times too... impossible to push through. Results in feeling of utter despair and total misery... Duration of attack increasing with age... experimenting with antihists and lotions thanks to this forum but sporadic nature of attacks makes it hard to tell if they are working yet... ruled out allergies to clothing or anything like cosmetics/soaps/shampoos/washing powders... have used very few and when I do I use unperfumed, dermatologically tested ones etc...

I have always been pretty fit and fairly active. I am not overweight. I have Raynauds. The itching stopped for a year or so after I had my daughter then came back with a vengeance.

Spent my life trying to make sense of it all... Yatata, reading your post in particular overwhelmed me... it was like reading something I have said to doctors, friends, family and been met with a range of reactions and responses, none of which have ever been helpful...

Thank you so much for sharing....
Hello Yatata,
I know that your post is old, but I just saw it tonight. I am relieved to know that someone has approximately the same symptom pattern as I do. I went walking on Sunday in the wet damp weather. After 10 mins of walking, I started itching. What made it worse, I started having an emotional response to the mud and dirt on the trail. I think that I was becoming anxious. The only thing that helped temporarily was looking at the clean water in the bottom of a creek on the trail. I aborted the walk and ran into my apartment where the emotional symptoms subsided. Today, I asked my neurologist about the cause of my symptoms but she did not know what it was. To her credit, she wondered if it was exercise-induced anaphylaxis.
Hey Benisa,

The exact same thing happens to me too! It makes it worse that, as with others, the cold weather and brisk or even regular-paced walking can bring it on. But when it comes, considering for me that it normally comes with colder weather when things are damp and quite icky looking anyway if you live in a crowded urban area, I too get very scornful. So much so I avoid looking at the street or on one occasion even walked in the road so that I could just focus on getting home quickly so I could itch my legs like crazy...

This is sooo not nice and so sporadic for me too, but I really am glad I'm not the only one. Because of the mental side of it too, I really was starting to think that I was crazy, lol! I just try to breathe deep and keep calm when it all comes on... I think the mental side probably comes from the fact that most times if you're itchy it's to do with something vulgar / dirt etc i.e. one associates an itch with something unclean, hence maybe our minds focus more on those things when the itch occurs, even though the itch has been induced by walking etc and not by anything which suggests a lack of hygiene, vermin or medical condition etc although this clearly IS some kind of medical condition with so many people around the globe experiencing it.
Hey Jadey J,

I totally get you and I'm in the UK too, lol and I'm Jamaican-British, to coin a phrase, so I totally get where you're coming from with this - I think it can affect anyone m,f, race, age, "ethnicity" etc. I also get the dirty / psychological feeling and literally have to force myself to not notice anything dirty-looking on the streets - e.g. overflowing litter bins etc etc It's worse in London - crowded & in England - rainy, dull when this itching sensation comes on - there normally is something pretty disgusting on the street anyway (even just damp paper) which worsens the psychological effect. I'm glad other people have this - makes me feel less weird, but it's a shame we all have to go through it. It's such a weird, uncomfortable sensation.

Well at least now I can let myself off the hook - I used to think it was part-psychological, part-laziness i.e. me being too lazy to start jogging / running properly... lol but then I used to do cross country as a kid and don't recall having any problems then... Hopefully, the condition will rectify itself and will gradually go away as it has gradually come on..! Take care.
Don't use Benadryl, this will not help. It;s poor circulation..
It does not happen to me a cold weather only warm or hot and it can be unbearable. I literally scratch until I bleed. It stops after about 45 minutes of sitting still in the A/C. If I am walking in a Mall or Food store it doesn't occur.
I have struggled with this for years. I am so glad I found these posts, learn it was actually an allergic reaction. For the past week I took an Aerius 60 min before walking and I've had no itch at all! It is expensive, so went to Costco and got a bottle of allergy medication (180 doses for under $20).  Took one today, walked at a brisk rate for an hour with no issues at all. I feel like I've got my life back.
20 years I've had this problem... In heat, cold, all or no fabrics, inside, outside, sweating or not, light strolls or vigorous activity... I am extremely active and exercise almost everyday and have for years. I "test" myself often without antihistamines hoping this might be the day. No such luck. Clearing it up is not a matter of "pushing through." If only it were that easy. Your body has a mind of its own. Biking is the only activity I can do without an antihistamine.
New studies have come out saying that ingesting wheat or other possible (undiagnosed) allergens within 6 hrs of activity may be the cause. They say that food is digested differently when we exercise. I think I will test this myself... emedicine.medscape.com/article/886641-overview and
www.etsu.edu/com/cme/documents/asthmaarticle6.pdf
It's not just a condition for those of European descent. I'm black in the United States and I just had to cut my walk short because of the itching (it's a cool November evening here). It has been happening for about a decade for me. I avoid running like the plague. Once, I tried to "push through" a slow jog outside and ended up collapsing in the grass, scratching my legs until I broke the skin. It's really bad. The worst is when the itch spreads to any part of skin where clothing is touching, especially around waistline, hem of your shorts, anything. There's no relief once the itching starts except to stop ALL movement. I've tried keeping my legs moisturized, wearing different clothing, warming up/stretch longer. It's not poor circulation. I even tried Benadryl once many years ago but I think I tried to work out too soon after taking it because it didn't work. I'm willing to try allergy meds again.

If there is a rash associated with this itching, I haven't observed it. My skin is chocolate brown though so it would be harder for me to diagnose a subtle rash. I wish some medical professionals would really research this. It's horrible to not be to do something as simple as walk or run!
you know I had the same problem when I was over weight and no tvery active it was bad it was itchy and very unconfortable but your doctor is right just got to fight through it I no longer have those issues anymore
The Beginning- "To: Everyone With Similar Problem
I found this on the web while doing research about ILS[Itchy Leg Syndrome], the cause is also the cure according to these. Guess I'll have to workout for a bit more. However I do believe this is a sign, that America does need to get active. I'm only 17 and yet have ILS however because I've always had a slim/lean body that most say looks like a model's and "appears" that I've worked out, I guess I skipped on actually working out. I suggest walking, but not a fast pace, at YOUR pace, try going for a simple walk around your neighborhood and in the first few weeks stick it and stay in neighborhood AKA "Your Comfort Zone" don't try venturing out unless you can feel the itching subsiding some. Hope this helps everyone.
Local 13 News Article On Fitness:

Some people will find any excuse not to exercise -- even saying they're allergic to it.

In fact, experts say that having itchy, irritated legs during exercise is fairly common. Certified personal trainer Max Hoyt said the symptoms are actually caused by inactivity.

"The capillaries in your legs, they contract and expand rather easily, but if you're inactive they lose elasticity, so they don't expand as readily as they used to," Hoyt said.

Hoyt said this is fine if you're sedentary because the additional blood flow doesn't reach those areas, but when you are working out, it is a different story.

"These areas get reached by the blood flow and these capillaries. Because they lost the elasticity, the nerve endings around the capillaries will transmit the sudden expansion of these capillaries to your brain and your brain perceives this as an itch," Hoyt said.

That's why no matter how much you scratch you can't relive it.

Hoyt said that the good news is that the sensation is temporary. If you stick with your exercise routine, the blood flow will force the capillaries to open and, with consistent expansion, the irritation will subside.

"If you can just stick with it and get used to being into exercise again it will go away," Hoyt said.

Hoyt said that if it doesn't go away in a few weeks, exercise is not the issue. He said some people prone to hives and exercise can make this condition worse. In this case, prevention, usually with antihistamines, is key.

"Once it's happened, you pretty much need to stop exercising and cool back down," Hoyt said.  While there is a potentially fatal condition called exercise-induced anaphylaxis, it is rare and, as with the hives, exercise is the trigger, not the cause.

Hoyt said that if you have asthma, always keep your inhaler with you, even if you haven't had an attack in a while. "-
The END...I hope this blesses at least someone.
had this problem SINCE I WAS A CHILD GROWING UP IN THE CARIBBEAN. i am now in my 30's and never seek help for it, main reason : the thought that the HEALTH PROFESSIONALS MIGHT THINK ME CRAZY. As a child i remember telling my mother once or so and she gave me baby powder to apply to my legs. i have greatly suffered from this problem, only god knows.WHAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND IS HOW CAN THE ITCH ONLY OCCUR DUE TO LACK OF INACTIVITY when growing up IN THE COUNTRY, THE ONLY WAY OF COMMUNING IS BY WALKING, EVEN 15, 20 MILES TO SCHOOL. NO MATTER HOW MUCH I PLAYED, WHETHER BASEBALL, or whatever other sports we played as children, THE ITCHING ONLY OCCURS WHEN I WALK VERY FAST OR RUN. I would claim THAT THE ITCH ONLY HAPPEN IN HOT WEATHER, but I've only walked outdoors when its hot for exercise since being in the United states. in Jamaica it was always hot. after years of suffering i started pondering MAYBE ITS FROM WEARING TO MUCH CLOTHES, LIKE TWO  PANTS, BUT I TRIED SHORT PANT AND STILL THE SAME. Besides in Jamaica i mostly wore shorts growing up. and i still had the problem. THE PUZZLING THING IS, WHY DOES IT HAPPEN MOST TIMES,BUT NOT ALL THE TIME? the crazy uncontrollable itch its usually starts about 15 minutes after walking. and  AND IT IS NOT JUST THE ITCH, IT IS WHAT HAPPENS DURING THE URGE TO SCRATCH. you're in public, so you're terrified of scratching, the urge to scratch drives you insane. YOU START TO FEEL DIRTY AND DISGUSTING, LIKE THERE'S THINGS CRAWLING ON YOUR SKIN. YOU GO INTO LIKE A PANIC STATE  BECAUSE NOW EVEN THE SLIGHTEST OF LEAVES GATHERED ON the road, like when it rains and water washed the leaves into a backed up pile, or ANY GARBAGE, or if IT RAINS the pain is antagonizing . I want everyone to disappear just so i can scratch, but that wont happen SO I WANT TO SCREAM, YELL AND CRY. the itch WILL START AT MY LEGS, THEN TO MY THIGHS, TO MY WAIST  AREA. sometimes if i am carrying a back pack, the constant bumping of the back on my body will cause that area to itch. but this, no complains here, this i can control by removing the object that's causing contact to my body. STRANGE THING I DON'T UNDERSTAND: AS THE ITCH INTENSIFY, THE MESSY ROADS CAUSES MY MENTAL STATE to go into place i cannot explain. as the grace of God, when i make it home, and can finally scratch, THE BURNING is excruciating, feels like my skin has been lit on fire. only cure is to wait for it to subside. SHOWER? I DARE NOT. BECAUSE THEN something in my mind is telling the shower is dirty, so i would have to clean it, then move on to cleaning something else, and continuously cleaning til everything is spotless. BUT as i clean i'm grossed out, because the sensation of the itch is still there which gives me the feeling that everything is dirty. FOR YEARS I THOUGH I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO SUFFER FROM THIS TERRIBLE ITCH WHEN WALKING FAST OR RUN, AND IS VERY SURPRISE TO SEE OTHERS WITH THE SAME PROBLEM, EXCEPT MINE IS A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED.but i've seen 1 or 2 post where others have some similarities to my strange affects..Ive been going to the gym since last year, worked out almost everyday and 30 minutes or more on the treadmill and wasn't having any problem. i haven't gone to the gym in about 5 months because of conditions i was in. now im ready to start exercising again and the devil has come back. IS THERE ANYONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO STOP THIS ITCH... i have a feeling it's going to stop again, but what the heck causes it in the first place....i
has nothing to do with your ethnicity, I'M from the Caribbean and as dark as they come, lol. and i've had this problem since childhood. i only walk for exercise outdoors in hot weather so this is the only time i can say the itch bother me. i will honestly say though that if i ever happen to walk fast pace when it's cold, I GET NO ITCH. anytime at all in the winter when i walk outdoor  at fast face I NEVER GET THE ITCH
find this a little strange, everyone itch seems to only trigger from walking, running.....you were just standing up and it started. you mentioned 'when you got home' how far did u travel? how did u get there, did u walk? could you have walked a short distance to your destination, and just as the itch is about to start you arrive at your destination?
This is exactly mike my problem except I'm a black male so I can't tell if my skin gets red. Started about the same time with same symptom and intensity.
we are in the same boat!! reading your comment made me laugh a bit just because every description was just as mine and our plight is just so hard to deal with and to explain to others.

i haven't tried the antihistamine therapy yet but will give it a try

So I guess the solution is a bottle of benadryl on hand while walking.  This started with me when I was 18 years old in the summer.  I still remember the black jeans I was wearing.  It's a shame b/c had I know the solution then I would have been as skinny now as I was then.  Maybe it's not too late.  I will carry around the benadryl.  Went for a long walk this morning and BAM! 10 minutes in and the itching started was about to turn around and go home. But I itched and kept going and kept itching and going.  So I did 50 minutes.  But I will carry the benadryl.  I hope this is the end of my woes and discouragement from exercising.
This problem seems to be hereditary as well (my aunt, mother, sisters, and now daughter suffers too).  I have been suffering since in my teens and am 43 now.  I have always been active and in good shape...having to stick with the elliptical and biking.  I've tried antihistamines and they have not helped me.  I have asked doctors throughout my life whom have no interest.  A few years ago I fought through an episode and minutes later had bruising all over my thighs and my veins where purple....that scared me!  Who can we all call on for help?  I've also felt like I might pass out or have a panic attack. I want to hike and run like other people.  What type of specialist do you think we can ask?  I wish I could have shared this site with past boyfriends who didn't really understand.
OMG I never thought to Google this issue and I don't know what made me do it today but I was astonished at how many people were suffering the way I am.  I have been dealing with this issue since about the age of 12.  I was always very active as a child and I have to admit that I have been less so as an adult but even at times when I have been pretty fit I still deal with this issue of itchy legs and I don't know about others but it seems to intensify when there is a combination of cold and wet weather.  It has gotten so bad for me that I have gotten nauseous from the severity of the itching and it takes hours for me to get back to normal.  I have suffered great ridicule behind this condition for years from people telling me that I'm just out of shape and that I need to power through it when they don't understand that this simply makes it worse.  I will try taking an antihistamine and see if this helps.  
Thanks I just finished walking this morning and I just about ripped my skin off my body from this burning itching. What a relief to read what everyone else is doing to help with this. I have been suffering with the itchy burning thighs and buttocks for at least 20 years that I can remember. It usually happens when I am walking outdoors in cool temps. I literally had to walk and scratch today…..glad it was kinda early in the morning cuz I just couldn't help it. I am definitely going to invest in an antihistamine or something. And I'm gonna read all these replies….. Thank God there's possible "cure."
Viewing 201-210 comments: