Itchy legs....help
About a month ago I started jogging/running. My problem is my legs start itching so bad that I have to stop. It starts at my ankles and then goes up my legs. My dh told me to start pushing through it and it will go away if I just keep going. So I did that today and it started going up my stomach, so I decided it was time to stop because it was just too much to handle, and I was afraid that my whole body would end up like that. I usually start out with a 5-10 min walk and then work my way up to running. After about 20 min of fast walking the itching starts. It doesn't matter if I'm outside or on my tredmill, wear shorts or loose pants. I have tried putting lotion w/ no purfume or anything in it before I exercise, but it's not working. I have also had my dh spray my legs with water to cool them off, but that isn't working either. I don't want to give this up, but I can't take this itching anymore. I walk and/or my tredmill everyday, sometimes several times a day, so I don't think just getting used to it is the problem. Does anybody have any idea how to make this stop? I will try anything!
I thought I'd just comment with what I've discovered as being effective in eliminating the itchiness. If you haven't exercised in a while just go for a moderately brisk walk and set a distance or time for your route. As you go if you start to feel unbearably itchy, slow way down to a slow walk. The feeling goes away. Halfway through the route (this is why you need to determine the length) take a little break. Don't sit or anything but just walk like you would in a store (my halfway point is a store lol) walk a little, stand a little, lean a little, text a little, etc. After 5-10 min continue the rest if your route. When I did this, I had no itchiness at all on the way back and didnt need to slow down except for my cool down. It is perfect for walking/jogging outdoors, especially because you can stop at a store or go "smell the roses" or bird watch or something! Don't sit and don't stop, just pace yourself.
I notice my legs itch when i wear clothes that rubs against my legs when i walk. The itch will stop but try not to scratch because it make it worse.
Wear some other kind of stuff
This is so me in the exact way that Nalla and SevenPlus explained and I've been dying to find something to help because I would love to jog or run. This intense itch even happens after just a brisk walk. If anyone finds anything that helps please let me know.
Try loratadine 10mg. It works wonders.
Have you found anything? I took an benadryl antihistamine before I jogged a little the other day and it helped some and I would just walk when I could feel the itch coming and tried to focus on something else but then I passed out as soon as I got back home and slept for a few ours lol. The next day I took a Zyrtec a little before we went on just a brisk walk and it did not help at all.
Is the daily Zyrtec thing helping you still with the itch, I need something!!!!
Also I don't think it's a circulatory thing or weather issue. It happens to me with high impact cardio workouts(jumping/bouncing) sometimes when I'm biking on a bumpy trail my forearms will itch from the vibrations and hot tubs from the jets against my skin vibrating. So I'm convinced it has something to do with the vibrations on the skin.
This is so me when it comes to anything with vibrations/shock that causes me to itch.
Hi, Like the rest of yous i thought iwas the only one that suffered from this, I have had most of the symptoms as the rest of yous but also wanted to add I live in a hot country now and it still happens in the warm weather no matter how slow I walk, I am 27 now this has been going on for about 10years, the doctors have almost laughed at me too and anyone I have tried to talk to about it, ihavent tried the antihistamine yet which I will do, only I am pregnant so will have to wait, the histamine cure seems to be right but I also think it is related to circularity problems too, my sister has Reynauds syndrome, and my temperature is different all over my body and hands go really hot, my thighs, where the itch iis, is really cold, I mean ice cold, It definitely has something to do with the capillaries I think, and god does it make you angry, if anybody crosses me wrong when I have this I have as much temper to kill someone, I mean it literally makes my blood boil till I'm so angry I could explode, and if I am with anybody they always seem to laugh at me, believe me I have stopped myself from pushing them out into the road, I am not usually and angry or bad tempered person but this is agonising, my advice as soon as you feel it coming on, stop, just stop where you are and stand still till you body regulates and do not itch, also try and get to a shop/ house or somewhere you can just stand for a minute and warm up, I'd be interested to find a cure, if anybody can help......
This is exactly what I have experienced since I was about five years old...  now i'm 53. I thought I was alone... One of the hardest things to deal with on top of the awfullness of the condition ( whatever it might be) is the exasperation of friends and family who may be around when it happens. Also the complete lack of interest from any GPs I've tried to discuss this with...On a good day I love walking... have to walk the dog daily... on a bad day ... well obviously you all understand... I often turn down the invitations to walk with friends in case it happens...

Intense under the skin itch/burn... feels like my flesh and bones are under attack... want to rip off clothes to scratch but scratching doesn't help... the itch is below the skin and scratching hurts the skin... and  cold skin going to hot as the itch subsides. Dizzyness, tightness acroos chest, wet nose, panic, muscles seem to become stiffened and painful... heightened sensitivity to smells... often notice the smell of leaves in autumn or exhaust but have ruled these out as a cause... got it when swimming a few times too... impossible to push through. Results in feeling of utter despair and total misery... Duration of attack increasing with age... experimenting with antihists and lotions thanks to this forum but sporadic nature of attacks makes it hard to tell if they are working yet... ruled out allergies to clothing or anything like cosmetics/soaps/shampoos/washing powders... have used very few and when I do I use unperfumed, dermatologically tested ones etc...

I have always been pretty fit and fairly active. I am not overweight. I have Raynauds. The itching stopped for a year or so after I had my daughter then came back with a vengeance.

Spent my life trying to make sense of it all... Yatata, reading your post in particular overwhelmed me... it was like reading something I have said to doctors, friends, family and been met with a range of reactions and responses, none of which have ever been helpful...

Thank you so much for sharing....
Try loratadine 10mg it works. I take it before I have to walk a long ways and the tingling never happens.
Hello Yatata,
I know that your post is old, but I just saw it tonight. I am relieved to know that someone has approximately the same symptom pattern as I do. I went walking on Sunday in the wet damp weather. After 10 mins of walking, I started itching. What made it worse, I started having an emotional response to the mud and dirt on the trail. I think that I was becoming anxious. The only thing that helped temporarily was looking at the clean water in the bottom of a creek on the trail. I aborted the walk and ran into my apartment where the emotional symptoms subsided. Today, I asked my neurologist about the cause of my symptoms but she did not know what it was. To her credit, she wondered if it was exercise-induced anaphylaxis.
Try loratadine 10mg it works to stop the allergic reaction your body is having.
Hey Benisa,

The exact same thing happens to me too! It makes it worse that, as with others, the cold weather and brisk or even regular-paced walking can bring it on. But when it comes, considering for me that it normally comes with colder weather when things are damp and quite icky looking anyway if you live in a crowded urban area, I too get very scornful. So much so I avoid looking at the street or on one occasion even walked in the road so that I could just focus on getting home quickly so I could itch my legs like crazy...

This is sooo not nice and so sporadic for me too, but I really am glad I'm not the only one. Because of the mental side of it too, I really was starting to think that I was crazy, lol! I just try to breathe deep and keep calm when it all comes on... I think the mental side probably comes from the fact that most times if you're itchy it's to do with something vulgar / dirt etc i.e. one associates an itch with something unclean, hence maybe our minds focus more on those things when the itch occurs, even though the itch has been induced by walking etc and not by anything which suggests a lack of hygiene, vermin or medical condition etc although this clearly IS some kind of medical condition with so many people around the globe experiencing it.
Hey Jadey J,

I totally get you and I'm in the UK too, lol and I'm Jamaican-British, to coin a phrase, so I totally get where you're coming from with this - I think it can affect anyone m,f, race, age, "ethnicity" etc. I also get the dirty / psychological feeling and literally have to force myself to not notice anything dirty-looking on the streets - e.g. overflowing litter bins etc etc It's worse in London - crowded & in England - rainy, dull when this itching sensation comes on - there normally is something pretty disgusting on the street anyway (even just damp paper) which worsens the psychological effect. I'm glad other people have this - makes me feel less weird, but it's a shame we all have to go through it. It's such a weird, uncomfortable sensation.

Well at least now I can let myself off the hook - I used to think it was part-psychological, part-laziness i.e. me being too lazy to start jogging / running properly... lol but then I used to do cross country as a kid and don't recall having any problems then... Hopefully, the condition will rectify itself and will gradually go away as it has gradually come on..! Take care.
Don't use Benadryl, this will not help. It;s poor circulation..
It does not happen to me a cold weather only warm or hot and it can be unbearable. I literally scratch until I bleed. It stops after about 45 minutes of sitting still in the A/C. If I am walking in a Mall or Food store it doesn't occur.
I have struggled with this for years. I am so glad I found these posts, learn it was actually an allergic reaction. For the past week I took an Aerius 60 min before walking and I've had no itch at all! It is expensive, so went to Costco and got a bottle of allergy medication (180 doses for under $20).  Took one today, walked at a brisk rate for an hour with no issues at all. I feel like I've got my life back.
20 years I've had this problem... In heat, cold, all or no fabrics, inside, outside, sweating or not, light strolls or vigorous activity... I am extremely active and exercise almost everyday and have for years. I "test" myself often without antihistamines hoping this might be the day. No such luck. Clearing it up is not a matter of "pushing through." If only it were that easy. Your body has a mind of its own. Biking is the only activity I can do without an antihistamine.
New studies have come out saying that ingesting wheat or other possible (undiagnosed) allergens within 6 hrs of activity may be the cause. They say that food is digested differently when we exercise. I think I will test this myself... emedicine.medscape.com/article/886641-overview and
www.etsu.edu/com/cme/documents/asthmaarticle6.pdf
Try loratadine I had this problem and the loratadine solved it.
It's not just a condition for those of European descent. I'm black in the United States and I just had to cut my walk short because of the itching (it's a cool November evening here). It has been happening for about a decade for me. I avoid running like the plague. Once, I tried to "push through" a slow jog outside and ended up collapsing in the grass, scratching my legs until I broke the skin. It's really bad. The worst is when the itch spreads to any part of skin where clothing is touching, especially around waistline, hem of your shorts, anything. There's no relief once the itching starts except to stop ALL movement. I've tried keeping my legs moisturized, wearing different clothing, warming up/stretch longer. It's not poor circulation. I even tried Benadryl once many years ago but I think I tried to work out too soon after taking it because it didn't work. I'm willing to try allergy meds again.

If there is a rash associated with this itching, I haven't observed it. My skin is chocolate brown though so it would be harder for me to diagnose a subtle rash. I wish some medical professionals would really research this. It's horrible to not be to do something as simple as walk or run!
you know I had the same problem when I was over weight and no tvery active it was bad it was itchy and very unconfortable but your doctor is right just got to fight through it I no longer have those issues anymore
The Beginning- "To: Everyone With Similar Problem
I found this on the web while doing research about ILS[Itchy Leg Syndrome], the cause is also the cure according to these. Guess I'll have to workout for a bit more. However I do believe this is a sign, that America does need to get active. I'm only 17 and yet have ILS however because I've always had a slim/lean body that most say looks like a model's and "appears" that I've worked out, I guess I skipped on actually working out. I suggest walking, but not a fast pace, at YOUR pace, try going for a simple walk around your neighborhood and in the first few weeks stick it and stay in neighborhood AKA "Your Comfort Zone" don't try venturing out unless you can feel the itching subsiding some. Hope this helps everyone.
Local 13 News Article On Fitness:

Some people will find any excuse not to exercise -- even saying they're allergic to it.

In fact, experts say that having itchy, irritated legs during exercise is fairly common. Certified personal trainer Max Hoyt said the symptoms are actually caused by inactivity.

"The capillaries in your legs, they contract and expand rather easily, but if you're inactive they lose elasticity, so they don't expand as readily as they used to," Hoyt said.

Hoyt said this is fine if you're sedentary because the additional blood flow doesn't reach those areas, but when you are working out, it is a different story.

"These areas get reached by the blood flow and these capillaries. Because they lost the elasticity, the nerve endings around the capillaries will transmit the sudden expansion of these capillaries to your brain and your brain perceives this as an itch," Hoyt said.

That's why no matter how much you scratch you can't relive it.

Hoyt said that the good news is that the sensation is temporary. If you stick with your exercise routine, the blood flow will force the capillaries to open and, with consistent expansion, the irritation will subside.

"If you can just stick with it and get used to being into exercise again it will go away," Hoyt said.

Hoyt said that if it doesn't go away in a few weeks, exercise is not the issue. He said some people prone to hives and exercise can make this condition worse. In this case, prevention, usually with antihistamines, is key.

"Once it's happened, you pretty much need to stop exercising and cool back down," Hoyt said.  While there is a potentially fatal condition called exercise-induced anaphylaxis, it is rare and, as with the hives, exercise is the trigger, not the cause.

Hoyt said that if you have asthma, always keep your inhaler with you, even if you haven't had an attack in a while. "-
The END...I hope this blesses at least someone.
had this problem SINCE I WAS A CHILD GROWING UP IN THE CARIBBEAN. i am now in my 30's and never seek help for it, main reason : the thought that the HEALTH PROFESSIONALS MIGHT THINK ME CRAZY. As a child i remember telling my mother once or so and she gave me baby powder to apply to my legs. i have greatly suffered from this problem, only god knows.WHAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND IS HOW CAN THE ITCH ONLY OCCUR DUE TO LACK OF INACTIVITY when growing up IN THE COUNTRY, THE ONLY WAY OF COMMUNING IS BY WALKING, EVEN 15, 20 MILES TO SCHOOL. NO MATTER HOW MUCH I PLAYED, WHETHER BASEBALL, or whatever other sports we played as children, THE ITCHING ONLY OCCURS WHEN I WALK VERY FAST OR RUN. I would claim THAT THE ITCH ONLY HAPPEN IN HOT WEATHER, but I've only walked outdoors when its hot for exercise since being in the United states. in Jamaica it was always hot. after years of suffering i started pondering MAYBE ITS FROM WEARING TO MUCH CLOTHES, LIKE TWO  PANTS, BUT I TRIED SHORT PANT AND STILL THE SAME. Besides in Jamaica i mostly wore shorts growing up. and i still had the problem. THE PUZZLING THING IS, WHY DOES IT HAPPEN MOST TIMES,BUT NOT ALL THE TIME? the crazy uncontrollable itch its usually starts about 15 minutes after walking. and  AND IT IS NOT JUST THE ITCH, IT IS WHAT HAPPENS DURING THE URGE TO SCRATCH. you're in public, so you're terrified of scratching, the urge to scratch drives you insane. YOU START TO FEEL DIRTY AND DISGUSTING, LIKE THERE'S THINGS CRAWLING ON YOUR SKIN. YOU GO INTO LIKE A PANIC STATE  BECAUSE NOW EVEN THE SLIGHTEST OF LEAVES GATHERED ON the road, like when it rains and water washed the leaves into a backed up pile, or ANY GARBAGE, or if IT RAINS the pain is antagonizing . I want everyone to disappear just so i can scratch, but that wont happen SO I WANT TO SCREAM, YELL AND CRY. the itch WILL START AT MY LEGS, THEN TO MY THIGHS, TO MY WAIST  AREA. sometimes if i am carrying a back pack, the constant bumping of the back on my body will cause that area to itch. but this, no complains here, this i can control by removing the object that's causing contact to my body. STRANGE THING I DON'T UNDERSTAND: AS THE ITCH INTENSIFY, THE MESSY ROADS CAUSES MY MENTAL STATE to go into place i cannot explain. as the grace of God, when i make it home, and can finally scratch, THE BURNING is excruciating, feels like my skin has been lit on fire. only cure is to wait for it to subside. SHOWER? I DARE NOT. BECAUSE THEN something in my mind is telling the shower is dirty, so i would have to clean it, then move on to cleaning something else, and continuously cleaning til everything is spotless. BUT as i clean i'm grossed out, because the sensation of the itch is still there which gives me the feeling that everything is dirty. FOR YEARS I THOUGH I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO SUFFER FROM THIS TERRIBLE ITCH WHEN WALKING FAST OR RUN, AND IS VERY SURPRISE TO SEE OTHERS WITH THE SAME PROBLEM, EXCEPT MINE IS A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED.but i've seen 1 or 2 post where others have some similarities to my strange affects..Ive been going to the gym since last year, worked out almost everyday and 30 minutes or more on the treadmill and wasn't having any problem. i haven't gone to the gym in about 5 months because of conditions i was in. now im ready to start exercising again and the devil has come back. IS THERE ANYONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO STOP THIS ITCH... i have a feeling it's going to stop again, but what the heck causes it in the first place....i
has nothing to do with your ethnicity, I'M from the Caribbean and as dark as they come, lol. and i've had this problem since childhood. i only walk for exercise outdoors in hot weather so this is the only time i can say the itch bother me. i will honestly say though that if i ever happen to walk fast pace when it's cold, I GET NO ITCH. anytime at all in the winter when i walk outdoor  at fast face I NEVER GET THE ITCH
find this a little strange, everyone itch seems to only trigger from walking, running.....you were just standing up and it started. you mentioned 'when you got home' how far did u travel? how did u get there, did u walk? could you have walked a short distance to your destination, and just as the itch is about to start you arrive at your destination?
This is exactly mike my problem except I'm a black male so I can't tell if my skin gets red. Started about the same time with same symptom and intensity.
we are in the same boat!! reading your comment made me laugh a bit just because every description was just as mine and our plight is just so hard to deal with and to explain to others.

i haven't tried the antihistamine therapy yet but will give it a try

So I guess the solution is a bottle of benadryl on hand while walking.  This started with me when I was 18 years old in the summer.  I still remember the black jeans I was wearing.  It's a shame b/c had I know the solution then I would have been as skinny now as I was then.  Maybe it's not too late.  I will carry around the benadryl.  Went for a long walk this morning and BAM! 10 minutes in and the itching started was about to turn around and go home. But I itched and kept going and kept itching and going.  So I did 50 minutes.  But I will carry the benadryl.  I hope this is the end of my woes and discouragement from exercising.
This problem seems to be hereditary as well (my aunt, mother, sisters, and now daughter suffers too).  I have been suffering since in my teens and am 43 now.  I have always been active and in good shape...having to stick with the elliptical and biking.  I've tried antihistamines and they have not helped me.  I have asked doctors throughout my life whom have no interest.  A few years ago I fought through an episode and minutes later had bruising all over my thighs and my veins where purple....that scared me!  Who can we all call on for help?  I've also felt like I might pass out or have a panic attack. I want to hike and run like other people.  What type of specialist do you think we can ask?  I wish I could have shared this site with past boyfriends who didn't really understand.
OMG I never thought to Google this issue and I don't know what made me do it today but I was astonished at how many people were suffering the way I am.  I have been dealing with this issue since about the age of 12.  I was always very active as a child and I have to admit that I have been less so as an adult but even at times when I have been pretty fit I still deal with this issue of itchy legs and I don't know about others but it seems to intensify when there is a combination of cold and wet weather.  It has gotten so bad for me that I have gotten nauseous from the severity of the itching and it takes hours for me to get back to normal.  I have suffered great ridicule behind this condition for years from people telling me that I'm just out of shape and that I need to power through it when they don't understand that this simply makes it worse.  I will try taking an antihistamine and see if this helps.  
Thanks I just finished walking this morning and I just about ripped my skin off my body from this burning itching. What a relief to read what everyone else is doing to help with this. I have been suffering with the itchy burning thighs and buttocks for at least 20 years that I can remember. It usually happens when I am walking outdoors in cool temps. I literally had to walk and scratch today…..glad it was kinda early in the morning cuz I just couldn't help it. I am definitely going to invest in an antihistamine or something. And I'm gonna read all these replies….. Thank God there's possible "cure."
you guys should just chill. there is no cure to this, the only solution is to keep on walking and when your blood circulates round your body, it get normal. it happens to me. i get irritated by everything around me.i just stop, look at the sky cause that's the only cleanest thing around and i wait till i feel warm in my legs and continue walking again, eventually it stops. you all should try this.
I have this problem too, and I found a solution that works like a miracle. I am very fit, so I know my problem is not lack of exercise.   Before you go walking or running outside put on body lotion on your body, specially on your legs, and feet or wherever you itch.  I do not get itchy anymore.  I think the problem is the blood circulation combined with the dry skin that causes the itchiness.  I don't have to deal with this problem again after discovering the lotion solution!!
Hello, I'm an itchy too. It's called pruritus and discovered that anemia can cause itchy skin, especially among athletes who develop low iron levels thru endurance activities or weightlifting. There's even a malady called footstrike anemia (hemolysis) among runners where the red blood cells are damaged by continual pounding of feet on the ground. Just search "itchy skin anemia." Iron deficient anemia can be cured by supplementing with iron pills but if in doubt have ferritin levels checked with a blood test.
Hi..

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.  I couldn't help but read your posting and wanted to share the info I just discovered about preventing itchy legs....

"Histamine Response:
Some research suggests that histamine is released during exercise to protect against fatigue, rather than as an allergic response. Histamine works to expand blood vessels in your body, but, unfortunately, sends the itchy message to your brain. As with urticaria, taking an antihistamine before running may help, and it’s possible that as you continue your regimen, the itching will lessen".

I haven't been out for a run, on a treadmill or exercising for about 5 months now.  New job, new house, new kind of responsibilities, not managing my time well enough....etc, etc, etc...  All of that have kept me away from being physically active lately.  

Anyway the thing is that I took anti-histamine pills (over the counter) for a couple of days before I went running again.  I couldn't get to the gym or go out for a run for a couple of days because of mismanagement of time...but I still took the pills just in case.  So I finally made time on the third day and went to the gym....  Anyway while running (aside from feeling tired after such a long hiatus) I can tell you that I had NO itchy sensation or the sensation of wanting to tear my skin out from scratching...!!!   NOT AT ALL!!!  I ran for a full 30 mins and my legs or any other part of my body DID NOT itched....WOW!!  I guess that I maybe build it up in my system during those days before running without knowing. I think taking antihistamine pills might help those that are prone to runner's itch.... like me!!!  Well, that is as long as you are not allergic to that...  

I will be OK without them in about 3-4 more days at the max.... That's how it usually work with me.... But now I don't have to suffer through it until my body get back into it again....  I ALWAYS had this condition ever since I can remember...  And now as an adult it can be so annoying and depressing....BLAH!!  Anyway I hope this helps...  I feel great now because I can build up my resistance and stamina while not having that awful itchy feeling...:-)!!!!  Just ready to take on the world now ...;-)!! Wishing you Happy Runs....
Check out my post... It might help you too....;-)!
This has nothing to do with race, am african, nigerain in particular. i thought i was being over dramatic, i was so happy when people mentioned about the environment episode where dirty looking things appear to infuriate the itch, for me i notice that it occurs only in the morning implying that when its cold because lets face it its all sun in nigeria, its just my quads, hamstrings and anywhere with a lot of friction(waist band especially or where i have a back a pack) oh God, that start screaming itch me. i have to just stop and wait until it recedes then i carefully take my steps one after the other, and if i take it too fast i risk returning back to torment, but by mid day to sundown i can run nonstop like it never even happened.
I am so glad to know that I am not the only one who suffers from this! Just returned from a walk with my husband a little while ago and I had the worse case of it I have ever experienced! I was in excruciating pain! I would rather have a baby than go through that again-and I have had 3 without an epidural! I was in tears before I got back home and I'm still trying to recover. I have had this since I was a child. It comes and goes. Right now, I am anemic so that may have something to do with how bad it was today. I think I'll stick with biking and doing my at-home workout. I don't experience it during either of those!
Yes, I have this problem, too!  I'm a young Asian woman.  I used to run cross country in high school and never had this problem.  It started in college.  At first I thought it was because of the cold air where I lived, but it happens when I'm on the treadmill in a warm gym.  I thought maybe dry skin was an issue, so I tried slathering lotion or body cream on before running or brisk walking, but that didn't help either.  I've wanted to run, but I've been afraid to do so for the last few years.

The itching and burning is painful, and no one else understands.  I can do half an hour of HIIT exercise and not have this problem.  I've tried to ignore the itching and burning and push on, but it only makes it worse.  I end up using all my willpower not to remove my pants until I get home and scratch.  Of course, I end up with raised bumps or welts and red skin from the intense scratching.  I usually break capillaries and have dots on my legs afterward as a result.  I think I will try taking an antihistamine stronger than Zyrtec and seeing if that helps.

I felt relieved reading all of your guys' experiences and being able to relate!
This is so me in the actual way that Nalla and SevenPlus described and I've been passing away to discover something to help because I would like to jog or run. This extreme itchiness even happens after just a quick move. If anyone discovers anything which enables please let me know.
Im so glad this thread is still going. Im 24 years old and have been dealing with this since high school. I have always been athletic. I played tennis and ran in elementary and in high school i danced. Now I cant even speedwalk. This morning i went to the bus stop, forgot my pass, and went back home and my legs were killing. I couldn't get in my house fast enough. I ride my bike 4-5 times a week for about 30 mins to an hr and no itching. So today i decide to take the bus and bam itching. Im also a CNA so im constantly walking every where the only time i sit is for break if i even get one and i don't itch. Ive tried the benadryl, lotion, clothes temperatures nothing helps. Its really embarrassing i cant even jog with my partner if i wanted to. And while the itching consumes me my disgust for everything around me starts. the street, trees,  birds, its all gross and i feel like its closing in on me. I use to love running and now that i cant even walk it makes me want to forever ride my bike no more walking/running for me. Someone should really do like a clinal trial or something cuz i need answers!! Thanks for posting guys it helps knowing there are others that deal with this issue. =)
I have suffered with this my entire life as well. Since childhood. Debilitating, rip your pants off in the road. itchiness. Niacin and antihistamine is the only thing that works. It stinks to have to take an antihistamine all year long, but I take at night. If I forget it, I truly don't even bother exercising. It's never gotten better the more in shape I am, or with time. It's so not fair and really turns me off from exercising at all. Good luck all! It's nice to see some info on this finally.
I went to a  specialist about this.  He didn't offer help.  I itch only in cool or cold weather and only on my thighs.  It is horrible.
I've been dealing with this itchiness since I was 13, and now I'm 18. Almost every time I go for a walk, the itchiness starts after about 10 min. I found out that if you keep a steady pace, the itchiness doesn't start, but if you change it a little bit, the itchiness will start and won't go away even if you go back to a steady, slower pace. I don't know why this happens, but so many people have it I can see that there needs to be a name for this instead of just "itchy legs when running." I also get itchy when my backpack is bumping against me, or my sock is rubbing against my boots on my ankle. It's so strange! My brother and sister both have it too, but not my mom. It must be genetic too. I thought I was the only one! So did my brother and sister! It's like our bodies are allergic to running -_-. But I love hiking so much, so it's such a bummer when I start to itch. I don't itch when I'm on an elliptical or bike. If I ride my bike on train tracks, the bumpiness of the tracks from the wheels to the handles to my arms makes my arms itch uncontrollably like when I run/ fast walk. I'm a very active, very healthy girl, so I know this isn't because of being sedentary or inactive... I know a lot of people way less active than me who have no clue what I'm talking about when I bring up the itchiness. When I get itchy and try to keep going it just gets WORSE and WORSE and I swear I want to kill myself AHGHH it's so bad. I need to get home so I can scratch, so I run and it just gets worse and worse, and all I can think about is opening my house door and laying down and absolutely TEARING my legs apart. I will PHYSICALLY make myself not scratch, so I can make it home and not go crazy in public, but eventually I keel over and scratch everywhere I can until my skin is blood red and sometimes it even leaves scratches. I haven't tried antihistamines, but I hope to God it works. It's so unfair to be so active and love nature so match and have this stupid condition. >:(
I've had this problem for over ten years now. I always believe mine is the worse case. Even having sex and rubbing against my partner is a problem. If I am walking  I try to go as slow as possible bcuz I don't want it to start. Its literally unbearable.
Some articles (like livestrong) claim it has to do with blood not knowing how to direct itself  when starting to excercise. I have not found this to be an issue that only happens to new exercisers, so I'm wondering if that article is half-right. It could have something to do with our blood... like low iron. Now, a full proper iron panel consists of 4 different blood test, but most doctors are only aware of one, so most of us that ARE low iron (because we're not absorbing it/binding it) don't get diagnosed as such (because we have plenty left over in our blood). Some tell-tale signs of low iron are ridges on nails and spooning of nails, low energy, brain fog, etc but they vary. I've realized this issue for me (which happens with any kind of repeated friction/movement of my skin in any part of my body) comes and goes, so I'm wondering if it has to do with my iron levels at that particular time. I haven't had that issue since I started increasing my stomach acid (ironically what most of us believe to be too much stomach acid is usually not enough stomach acid) so that I can better absorb nutrients like iron. Hope that helps someone!
I realize these comments are from a couple of years ago, but we have got to keep this conversation going, as it is so nice to know this is a real condition! and I am not just crazy! I have been suffering from this since the age of 13! the intense itchy legs during walking and running, especially if the weather is cool, and the mood swings after it occurs, My stomach feels sick and my environment looks extremely gross, If I see pot holes, trash around or mud. It's insane! please help us.
You summed it up prefectly. I'm a guy who has experienced this condition since I was a adolescent. I recently had a case last week where I thought I was going crazy! Not only was my lower half and stomach all itchy but I was furious, and also started viewing my surroundings as "disgusting" and "unclean." I can't really describe the temporary mental component that occurs with the unexplained itching but it's there.
@lynnwood44 and @Ramon_Aventura  I have the exact same reactions. It is horrible. I dont know which is worse-the physical part or the mental part. For me, it first started 22 years ago(44 now) and has only gotten worse throughout the years. In my case, I suspect it has to do with poor circulation (maybe leading to the histamine issues) and it's also worse when I'm walking in colder weather. The mental agony, anger and disgust that I feel when it happens is really baffling and disheartening, it makes me feel like the world is coming to an end. It's even gotten to the point where the experience will be so overwhelming that I will actually start crying. It's very weird and it has been impossible to make others understand what its like. It just comes off sounding like I'm making excuses to not walk. So when I walk, I try to do so very casually and lightly to try to minimize the symptoms(I give myself extra time to get to where I'm going to allow for this). Sometimes I will do vigorous jarring leg/body movements to try to acclimate to the shock/friction movements of walking/fast walking a little while BEFORE I go outside so that when the symptoms start getting bad -at home- I can just stop and rest/scratch and let them pass so that I dont end up scratching fiendishly like some kind of weirdo on the sidewalk numerous times before I manage to get to my destination. It's insane. Sorry for the long post but I was VERY surprised to find that I'm not the only one.
you are so right! It is stupid! I feel for you. I have it too, so I completely understand, I'm not as active as you are, so I can imagine how you must feel not being able to enjoy hiking without going through this mess, hang in there! Let's keep the conversation going.....perhaps a cure is on the way
This morning I dropped of my car to have some work done.
I always dread doing this because it means I have to walk to work.
I don't mind walking but I know I am going to get the dreaded itch.
An I have the same emotional and physical symptoms mentioned by others.
I have had it from a youngster into my adult life.
I make excuses for not going on walks or taking up jogging.
My Doctor looked baffled when I enquired about it.
Reading through your comments the one thing that keeps coming up again and again is problems with circulation.
I have just read this article that I think explains the cause:  https://liverunloveyoga.com/2011/10/27/runners-itch-what-causes-those-itchy-legs/
hope this helps.
Try using light weight ted hose for "tire legs" 10-15 hg. this is help the blood flow slowly release to the larger extremities and less vessel flush.