Exercise & Fitness Community
Ketosis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Ketosis

Please can someone answer my one question...IF your are in ketosis...does this mean that you are losing weight..or is it just a chemical state that the body is in...I have been doing the Atkins diet..and am in large ketosis...lost 10 pounds in a week..then stopped losing..gained 4 pounds and have lost 3 of them...please..tell me..does ketosis mean you are losing weight...?...all the sites talk about it..as a chemical change..but does is signify weight loss...I'd really like to know..thanks
-2 Comments Post a Comment
Hi It is a chemical state that your body is in. It means that you are now burning stored fat as fuel instead of carbohydrates. This is good! Yes, it signifies that you are now burning stored fat ie.. weight loss! Way to go.
I agree with misscloey. If you are in ketosis then that's good for you IF of course you want to lose weight. The state is totally healthy and you want to be in it to burn stored fat and regain energy. Don't forget to take a multivitamin. I'm on the atkins diet, too. It took me a week for me to get used to it and lose my appetite and not crave sweets.

So yes, if you're in ketosis then this means you're losing weight. You're also losing excess water weight along with electrolytes so try to take your vitamins every day. It makes sense that you're actually losing weight. Your body is running low in carbs which is our primary source of energy. Since such source is so low then the body will utilize the alternate source which is fat and turn it into energy by burning it. See? you are actually losing weight. Congrats  
Hey thank you and misscloey for your reponse...but I have to tell you I got so discouraged that I broke my diet this weekend..I was in large ketosis..but was not losing weight..that is what prompted me to write in the first place...I had lost 10 lbs...in one week..only to gain back 4..then loose 3..then hold at one weight...I know that 10 lbs. was awsome for one week..but when the scale didn't budge for another week..I got discouraged and went on a binch...well needless to day..I started again this morning...IF I know for sure..that ketosis means you are losing..and not just a chemical state that the body is in..I can handle the not losing...but I thought here I was...eating very strictly protein with no success..and off I went...but I'm back on track..now that you two have shared your thoughts with me..thanks so much...
No problem...but you should know that to lose weight you have to incorporate certain nutrients such as vegetables. They actually help your metabolism and are esential in fat burning, and provide you with minerals and vitamins that you will not find in meats or fowl. Try to stay under 20 grams of carbs but still...eat some carbs and I mean the acceptable ones. Don't give up just yet. You are not the only one who steps on the scale weighing ten pounds less than the previous week and then when you go back on the scale then you are three pounds heavier. Might be water weight you were experiencing. It is normal to have weight fluctuations you know. So keep trying and you'll see results. Good luck
Another thing is if you are under HIGH stress it can cause your cortizol levels to go up which in turn can prevent you from loosing weight. If you are under stress try to find things that will help you to relax, like meditation or yoga or what ever fancies you.
I wish that finding things to help me relax was that simple..I feel now like I barely have enough time in a day to get the things done that HAVE to be done..let alone take time to unwind and relax...what is relax anyways?...I bet that most of America feels the same way I do...but thanks for the tip anyways..and as for eating carbs...once I start something I'm all or nothing..no middle of the fence for me..and to just eat protein...is the easiest way for me to diet...I know that I also consume hidden carbs...so I'm hoping that they will add up to 20 a day...I love to chew sugar free gum in which most gums are a carb or two..I know they are not the nutritious carbs..but....I've just recently joined this forum and love it by the way...thanks to all of you who write back..I read each and everything you say and take it and use it to my best advantage I hope..thanks all
If you find yourself in a situation where your body is totally resistant to lose weight and you find it hard to reach your goal then let me tell you that there are supplements which aid in weight loss. You may want to take L-carnitine, which is involved in fat transport. Another weight loss aid is CoQ10 (100 mg) and it works in combination with L-carnitine and Chromium(1000 mcg) to mobilize fat.Take your multivitamin daily and exercise for at least 30 minutes. Perhaps you'll tell me that you don't have time to exercise but trust me, you do. Even if you can only exercise during the weekend but try to move and eventually increase your level of maintenance and resistance. You know all the benefits you would get from working out so just go for it and you'll see a change, and you'll like it.
Thanks for the tips..I'm going to go check out the CoQ10 and the L-carnitine and Chromium..have you used these with success?...
Yes, I have used them with success. These aids come in handy especially for us women who tend to retain a lot of fluid mostly during our period and when we ovulate etc. I take more supplements but these should help you out a bit. I mean they are NOT going to make you lose weight but they will definitely help your metabolism. When I started Atkins I was having weird symptoms such as leg cramps. I read the book and I found out that these cramps were completely normal because during the first phase (Induction) you lose a lot of eletrolytes and a lot of calcium, potassium etc goes away together with the water weight and that is why the leg cramps appeared like on the fourth day of me being on this diet. I bought potassium and multivitamins and the pain went away thank God. So yes, these supplements help.
Did you know that pickle juice 1 tsp will take away the leg cramps. I was following a STRICT low carb medically supervised diet. My doc told me about the pickle juice... it works. I lso take potassium, multi vitamins, l-carnitine, evening primrose (helps tremendously with bloating and cramping) I also incorporate in my multi vitamin CO Q10, and green foods such as kelp and spirulina (this helps with hunger control and energy) it is also extremely healthy for you. The multi vitamin I take is called Life Essence and I buy it a a quality health food store. It is awesome I cannot live without them! Like bedtime said they will not MAKE you lose weight.. but they will help encourage and support healthy weight loss. good luck
About Primrose...does it really help with bloating? Let me tell you my periods are horrible. I get bloated and I go up like 10 pounds easily. Even though it is just water weight you know that this condition is pretty uncomfortable. I've been looking for something to help me out with this. Has primrose helped you with bloating?  
Just be very careful on Atkins, your kidneys cannot clear out that much protein. I know a RN  that did the Atkins and now she has 85% kidney loss.Being a RN she should have known better, but the weight loss was too good for her to pass up.  Most doctors do not recomend Atkins, it is too dangerous...for your kidneys anyways. Sorry , don't mean to be a downer.