Exercise & Fitness Community
Knee ache since i was 6 years old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Knee ache since i was 6 years old

You don't have a topic for this!
I have had knee ache for a very long time. I am a 32 year old woman and i have never had a knee injury. My mum took me into the doctors when i was 6 and they diagnosed me with pure growing pains. Well that isnt the case obviously. It aches alot when i walk a long way or i am very tired. I sometimes get it when i drive a long way and my foot is elevated. I have never had it looked at since i was a kid. I am a bit nervous latly because it is getting more and more prominent. I just to get it maybe once or twice a month, now it's more like once or twice a week.
Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.
Nikki
You should get your knee evaluated.  Get a referral to see an orthopedist and get xrays done.  They should get at least one xray of both knees together to compare them.  Differences between the knees will indicate disorders and abnormalities in your "bad" knee.  good luck
There are certain exercises you can do to strengthen the knees, which would probably help a lot. visit this link and find them here: http://www.Welloria.com/Knee_Exercises/Knee_Injury_Pain_Recovery_Prevention_Exercises_p1.html
My son has the same problem, his knee starts to hurt after being active, his right now is about once a month. It is very painful for him. He has been diagnosed with AV Malformation in his knee. Try neuroradiology.rad.jhmi.edu/avm.html
Hope that helps. I am still trying to find him relief!
Hey,
I have the same problem. I'm 19 and have been getting terrible aches in my knees since i was about 5...there was one time when i was 5 or 6 my knee hurt so badly i refused to walk on it, so my parents got my leg x-rayed but there was nothing wrong with it. Unlike the original poster I have no real patern to my knee aches (she had them when walking or driving far...mine seems to have no reason) For me they come and go in both legs, most comonly the knee caps, but have also happened in the upper thy and lower calf and ankle of both legs. Recently they've been coming in spurts...like I don't get them for a while and then I have a few over a period of a few days, and then they go away again. Maybe it is just growing pains...I'm probably not done growing completely yet. I usually just ice the ache with a cold pack and take some tylonol and then it'll go away...but lately the pain comes back just as strong a few hours later. Anyone have any suggestions of what this could be?
Hey,

I'm 19 too, and have been having pains in my knees since i was little. My family and i just thought they were growing pains but i know for a fact i've stopped growing, yet i still get the pain. It comes and goes. I can exercise and then get the pain, or i won't exercise and then i get the pain...so i'm not certain what triggers it. But i do know i mostly get it at night, as i go to bed with a heat pack.
I was thinking that perhaps it could be arthritus? As children can suffer from that too... I'm definately going to get tested for it, because i am sick of the pain.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Always use a cold ice pack for your knee as it helps with pain and inflammation.

Arthritis is not the only problem with chronic knee pain. Knee joint is a complex joint with tendons, ligaments bursae etc. It can be some systemic disease which needs diagnosis.

Recollect if you had any injuries to the knee like, a fall, a twist etc.
After a proper examination near an orthopedician you can diagnose your knee problem.

You can increase in length till your long bones cease to grow which is 19 for girls and 20 for boys and this causes discomfort on some occasions.

Take care!
Im 20 years old and i've had knee pain since i was 6 months old (says my mother). I've had x rays, blood test, i didnt have arthritis ( but that was a long time ago) and all the doctors could tell me was that it was growing pains. well you'd think i would be really tall if it was that for 20 years. The pain starts in my knee and either moves down to my ankle or up to my hip or if im really lucky both. I dont know about the rest of you but ICE only makes the pain worse. A bath as hot as i can stand was the only thing that worked, but lately it has'nt any more. Im really sick of always hurting and eating advil like its candy to make the pain go away. Plus i have pectus carinatum. im pigion brested. So i have chest pain to go along with it.

any info on how to stop the pain would be great.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

You can have pain in your legs due to growth of your long bones or due to spine problems. Check and rule out local injuries in the past and present. Also check for any knee ligament injuries.
You can get your lower lumbar spine examined and scanned to rule out any problems which might be giving these lower limb symptoms.

Follow up with an orthopedician and go for an MRI knee.

Take care!

I had an X-ray and found out I have something called patellar alta? Could this be the cause of knee pain?