Exercise & Fitness Community
Knee noise

Our Exercise & Fitness community to help you take charge of your health. Ask a question, join a conversation, get tips: fitness, nutrition, and management tools / trackers.

Knee noise

Hi.  I am experiencing a noise from my knee every time I walk up stairs or hills.  I've been doing some hill work lately and the noise is really starting to get to me.  I don't think I had any pain or swelling (but now that I'm worried I feel it may be hurting a little.  I'm not sure if this is real or perceived.).
It is only in my right knee.  Earlier today I felt that it was giving way but this felt minor.  I think I may have had issues with this knee in the past (with it giving way).  From memory I had physio and did some strengthening exercises.  I believe this may have been due to repeatedly unloading firewood from a trailor.  I stand with my right leg close to the trailor and sometimes touching and twist to get wood and then stack it on a pile.  I'm not sure if I explained that that well but I think that reaching over the trailor stressed my knee.  It never made this noise though.
Just wondering if anyone has any advice or idea about what this might be.

I'm seeing my doctor next week so can ask him about this then too.
  • Upper Knee Pain (1 replies):
    For the last 9 months or so, my left knee has been hurti...[more]
  • bone pain (1 replies):
    I have been walking for aproximately one year, since the...[more]
  • Crepitus in knee (6 replies):
    Hi, I was just wondering about crepitus and if there is...[more]
  • MCL stertch (1 replies):
    Hi I'm 16 yrs old and recently jumped from about 1.5 m ...[more]
  • Knee Pain (3 replies):
    Yesterday evening I felt a pop and pain in my right knee...[more]
sounds like chondromalacia!
Try strengthening the muscles, specifically the inner portion of the quadriceps through low-impact exercises such as swimming, or other exercises that do not require the knee to bend more than 90 degrees. If the condition fails to improve, arthroscopic surgery may be required to smooth the surface of the articular cartilage and remove cartilage fragments that interfere with the joint during bending and straightening.
Hi there!

There could be a few possibilities to your symptoms such as patellar malalignment, meniscal tears, loose bodies, arthritis, fractures etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis. If an attributable cause is found, it can be managed accordingly.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Thanks for your responses.
This morning when I was working I thought it had disappeared and thought that it must have just been an alignment problem but I guess that was just wishful thinking.
I'll talk to my doctor about it and take it from there.

Thanks again for the feedback.
It sounds like crepitation--if you google that term you will get a description as well as potential causes.  I have it in one knee also, but not the other.  I am normal/low weight, and have had it for years.  I hope your MD can help you limit any damage and shed light on the cause.
I saw my doctor today.  He said that he thought it was patellofemoral ?syndrome.  He said that my patella was quite loose.  He has advised strengthening my quads.  He recommended cycling and leg extensions.

Thanks all for your posts.
mishymoshymarcy Sometimes the things that a... Comment
KeeLolo commented on photo
zouzi commented on Please be aware of th...
Achieve your weight goals
Exercise Tracker
Make exercise part of your routine