Exercise & Fitness Community
Leg swelling from bicycle crash.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Leg swelling from bicycle crash.

After a hard crash on a mountain bike I had a bump (or swelling) on my upper thigh at the point of impact. I believe that my leg landed on an exposed rock. There was a great deal of pain on the leg for a couple of days and I was unable to put all my wieght on it. I thought that I may have torn a thigh muscle becuase of the defined bump (or swelling) which was at mid thigh and the muscle directly above the knee was noticably bigger than the non-injured leg. I thought perhaps the bottom half of the torn muscle was falling to rest above my knee when I was standing. Bruising has left this area and it has been nearly two weeks since the crash however the swelling remains the same at mid thigh. My knee looks to be back to normal and is the same size as my other knee. Only minor discomfort is realized when pushing on the swelling and it appears to be fluid cuasing the swelling.
Is this fluid blood or other? Should it get drained if it is other than blood or will it disappate over a period of time?
I am in my mid forties and I understand that it takes longer to heal from these type of injuries but I am wondering if a doctors visit is needed.
You should definately see your doctor.  You possibly have a hematoma in leg at the point of impact.  Your doctor will be able to give you the best advice.  Consult him/her ASAP.