Light Tingling / Popping Sensation in Legs After Jogging
I started a walking / jogging program about 5 weeks ago.  I've been steadily progressing, walking less and jogging more, without any real problems.  The last two times I've worked out I experienced a strange sensation in the back of my legs after exercise.  It felt like tiny bubbles were popping all up and down the backs of my legs- especially in my thighs.  It does not hurt in the least.  In fact, it's actually a pleasant feeling.  I stretch well before and after exercising.  It is during the stretching that I notice the feeling, but I think it starts when I'm running.  I'm just too busy to notice it then.  Should I be concerned about this?
I found this answer:
Those are mild muscle spasms. There has been a mild buildup of lactic acid in the most active muscles. At higher concentrations, you get full-blown muscle cramps. During vigorous exercise, the lactic acid builds up faster than your body can get rid of it. In some people, such things as caffeine and dairy products exacerbate this buildup.
That popping feeling is called Fasciculation. When you work your muscles they contract and the blood vessels dilate. When you are done exercising and your body is returning to a normal state the twitching can occur. It should go away shortly after you finish your workout. This is normal after a good walk or jog..and usually sitting to rest. The feeling walk or jog..and usually sitting to rest. The feeling results in a "popcorn" feeling at the skins surface. results in a "popcorn" feeling at the skins surface
hat popping feeling is called Fasciculation. When you work your muscles they contract and the blood vessels dilate. When you are done exercising and your body is returning to a normal state the twitching can occur. It should go away shortly after you finish your workout. This is normal after a good walk or jog..and usually sitting to rest. The feeling walk or jog..and usually sitting to rest. The feeling results in a "popcorn" feeling at the skins surface. results in a "popcorn" feeling at the skins surface
After reading through this forum, everyone has said the popping sensation is pleasant or feels good, but I have to disagree. I have painful shin splints that are aggravated by simply walking, and I feel this popping sensation just by bending forward to touch my toes. Could I be experiencing something different, or is the feeling intensified because the shin muscle is so thin? I am a healthy 20 year old female, 5'4, 110 lbs, and no longer running... feedback is GREATLY appreciated!
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:waN6bnaF-2wJ:www.ehow.com/how_5276858_understand-muscle-twitching-after-exercise.html+lactic+acid+leg+twitches+after+walking&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

This website explains it...
How to Understand What Causes Muscle Twitching After Exercise
By Kristie Leong M.D., eHow Member
I want to do this! What's This?
User-Submitted Article
You've just finished your running workout and are quietly relaxing with a glass of cold lemonade when you feel your leg start to twitch. You become increasingly concerned as it continues its annoying, rhythmic contractions. In the back of your mind you begin to worry that you have a strange neurological disease. Is this justified? Do you need to be concerned about muscle twitches after exercise?
Difficulty: Moderate
Instructions
1
Muscle twitches after exercise has the scientific name of benign fasciculations. Benign fasciculations can occur even in the absence of exercise, although exercise is a well known trigger of this condition. Benign fasciculations usually involve the feet, hands, arms, or legs, although almost any muscle can be affected. By their very definition, they are benign and aren't indicative of serious underlying disease.

2
nign fasciculations or muscle twitches after exercise is surprisingly common. After the muscles have undergone an intense workout, biochemical changes take place as the muscle responds to the stress of exercised Lactic acid builds up in the fatigued muscle and formation of free radicals occur which believe can alter the excitability of muscle tissue. Endurance athletes and runners are particularly prone to the type of free radical formation that can lead to muscle twitches after exercise. Eating more antioxidant rich foods may help to reduce exercise related muscle twitches, although there are no studies to document this.

3
Can muscle twitches after exercise be a sign of something more serious? Fasciculations can be a sign of a more serious neurological disease such as ALS; but the twitches seen with ALS usually occur with movement rather than at rest and are generally associated with muscle weakness. With benign fasciculations, the muscle twitches almost always stop when the muscle is moved. Nevertheless, if the problem is persistent, an EMG study to check for abnormal muscle activity may be needed.

4
How can muscle twitches after exercise be prevented? Staying well hydrated and replacing electrolytes such as calcium, sodium, and potassium lost through sweating may reduce the risk of benign fasciculations after a workout. Two drinks that may be particularly helpful are Gatorade which is rich in electrolytes and green tea a source of antioxidants which can offset some of the muscle free radical formation. Try mixing the two together to create your own sports drink. Stretching before and after a workout and not doing too much too quickly can also help to prevent muscle twitches after exercise. Be sure to take some rest between workouts. The same muscles shouldn't be worked every day. Allow at least forty-eight hours between resistance training routines unless you're working different muscles.

5
The bottom line? Muscle twitches after exercise are usually nothing to worry about, but if they persist, see your doctor.

Read more: How to Understand What Causes Muscle Twitching After Exercise | eHow.com http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:waN6bnaF-2wJ:www.ehow.com/how_5276858_understand-muscle-twitching-after-exercise.html+lactic+acid+leg+twitches+after+walking&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us#ixzz12AHWHJO9
I think what's going on here is that there is more than one (possibly 3 or 4) phenomenon being described here and everyone is lumping them together.  Some people may be experiencing fasciculations but I am quite sure I am not.

Here is why I think, at least in my case THESE ARE NOT FASCICULATIONS:

Fasciculations: Light twitches at or near the surface of the muscle that kind of feel like tingling or light popping sensation.  Now when everyone said "feel like" I am assuming they mean "feel" in their legs.  Some people even said they can feel them with their fingers (in their legs).

My experience:  Nothing happens on it's own.  I repeat, unless I use my hands, I do not get this sensation.  To get the sensation I use my thumb and index finger and pinch a large skin fold.  I recently lost weight so I have loose skin that still has a lot of fat left in it.  In my case it works near my hip or inner thigh.  I squeeze down and I feel a pop.  Bubble wrap could not be a more perfect description.  I feel it, not in my legs, but with my fingers - pop!.  I can probably feel it a little in the actual skin of my leg but it's very obvious on my fingertips.  Again, this is in skin that has been pulled away from the muscle at least a centimetre.  The pop actually occurs at the pads of my finger and thumb and not at the tips so there is no way you're going to convince me that this is a muscle twitch, especially since my fingers caused it.  Also, like bubble wrap, once I have 'popped' a certain spot, I can't pop it again until my next run.
  The experience is pleasant and I wouldn't even go so far as to say there is 'tingling'.  I also don't think it is a coincidence that it happens only in the two spots that used to have a lot of fat and are now very 'deflated'.  It does not happen on other parts of my thigh were the skin is tighter (even though it's the same muscle group).  Next time I get it, I will try prodding around other flabby areas (abs, love handles, etc.) to see if it's not only in the legs for me.

So again, maybe some people are experiencing fasciculations, but I am pretty sure I, and probably at least a few other people here, are not.

Have we discovered something that science hasn't documented yet?

soup
Wow, what a thread! I'm glad I found it. I have the same popping sensations in my legs after running, sprinting, jogging. That's exactly what they feel like little bubble wrap bubbles popping inside the muscle in the gluteus butt muscle, hamstrings, calves. Basically all the legs or exactly the muscle groups that were just used in that work out. I don't feel them near the skin I feel them deep within the legs basically all throughout the muscle tissue areas. It was very weird for me because like many people on this forum I never had these feelings most of my life and they just started when I was about 25 years old. I'm now 29. I used to run track in high school too and never had these sensations, and did bodybuilding for 5 years straight in college also never having these sensations whatsoever. Then I stopped exercising for a few years and gained weight. Went from around 12% body fat all my life to 27% body fat. I then started jogging after a few years and that's when I first noticed the "fasciculations" or popping sensations after a run when you sit down on the couch for about 30 seconds to 1.5 minutes and they start popping all over the legs like hundreds of pops over the course of minutes time.

I'm a biomedical engineer so I went through all the research and here are my thoughts on the top hypotheses out there for these conditions. From an engineering standpoint the continuing leg muscle nerve firing post strenuous aerobic leg workout seems the most plausible cause. Basically like electrical noise in a system there is electrical noise in the muscle fibers that were just actuated during the workout so the little individual fibers are being slightly activated in a random order, just as normal noise in any electrical system whether biological or not would work. Because this is "noise" it manifests itself as little popping sensations randomly all over the legs as the individual muscle fibers are contracting instantly. This is very different from a twitching of the entire quad or hamstring muscle for example which would cause a movement of the leg. The fasciculation nerve actuations are too small and "noisy" to cause a big movement or big muscle twitch and manifest as what feels like to you tiny popping sensations all over the legs, butt, or whatever muscle you just worked out. Basically you wait 15 or 20 minutes for these nerves to "quiet down" as they say and return to a more normal resting state where they are not being given a constant "on" signal by the brain as when you are running and jogging. At this point the popping stops. This is the theory that makes the most sense of all the other theories.

I am also thinking about the correlation here of many like myself who didn't have fasciculations until they gained a lot of fat. However this doesn't necessarily mean you can just make the conclusion that the popping are "fat cells bursting". There can be other correlations perhaps some effect of the extra fat in and around the muscle tissue affecting the nerve action such as creating electrical insulation to the nerve fibers allowing them to remain more "active" after a workout than someone who is thin for example. But there is definitely some correlation because I, like others, never had these "poppings" during the years they were low body fat and started having them after they gained weight.

So there are many theories out there as to what these sensations are but it is very comforting that so many people are having them as well with no adverse I'll effects. It would be nice to see a true research study conducted on this phenomenon with a group of distributed individuals performing exercises then being monitored for fasciculations. In the meantime we must continue to troll medical forums and research on the internet to try to come to some conclusion.
I have this sensation also, right now in fact.  I have an eating disorder (excercise bulimia/anorexia).  I recently had an injury from overuse, and after taking 3 forced weeks off, I began running again, but I have put on so much fat during that 3 weeks... I did a long low grade workout today, about 6 hours ago, and -  My legs are popping like CRAZY for about the past half hour or so...

I haven't seen anyone post about the reverse phenomenon, where you can feel the fat being put on also.  I feel it.  It is kind of the same feeling, but I know if it is going in or out because of how I am living/eating/excerising (either overkill, or not getting out of bed for days and eating nonstop).  otherwise, the feeling is the same.

I have also identified two separate feelings of these twitches.  One is more like a light popping/tingling in the fat in my legs.  But then, sometimes in my gut or in my butt fat, I get these single stronger twitches, almost like my veins are trying to pull out fat, and it snags coming out because its too big for the vein.  I know that sounds weird, but i don't know how else to describe it - its a single, stronger twitch that repeats quickly for a second or two (this is longer than the little leg twitches, which are like a third of a second each).  

Anyone else experience the two types of twitches and the reverse popping?
also, I take lots of ephedrine and diet pills - which jives with the electrolyte imbalance business...
I really don't think it's anything to be worried about. I've had this feeling for years, always been slim and not overweight, never had anything wrong with me medically apart from asthma and allergies, in fact my blood pressure has always been good.  I do have cellulite on my legs and bum and had it since I was a teenager and this is where I get the feelings mostly, but I don't think it's linked for one (funny) reason: I also get these sensations in my privates after sex or orgasm too (I'm female btw). LOL. Of course I don't have cellulite or too much fat there, so I am 99.9% sure that the "popping" feeling isn't far cells popping.

I've studied biology and chemistry and have looked at physiological and metabolic reasons why this happens (as I am curious as to what it is too) and I believe that it could be a any or a combination of these:

1. Blood vessles have dilated to supply blood to the contracting and relaxing muscle fibres (or region), so after excercise they need to shrink down again.  Blood vessles are made of smooth muscle, so electrical impulses are fired off by nerve endings to make them contract and dilate, so it could just be that which is felt when excercise is stopped.

2. Lot's of blood is needed to supply muscles with oxygen and energy (ATPf) or them to function, so the region will be flooded with blood after exercise which won't be needed as much after exercise, so it could just be that draining and pumping out of the worked region.

3.  The thighs and bum muscles are the biggest muscles in the body, so more blood and blood vessles will be present there, which maybe why you can feel it there and not so much in other places.

4.  Blood capillaries come closer to the skin surface during increased intensity of movement to remove heat that is generated in the muscles during the breakdown of ATP.  These will still be pumping blood to the skin surface after exercise to continue to cool the body. Again as the leg and bum muscles are the biggest, perhaps more blood is pumped to the capillaries in the skin as more heat is generated there???  Eventually, the capillaries will contract and shrink back deeper into the skin tissues, so it could be this that is felt too. It's all done involuntarily which could be why the popping feels so random as we can't control it, it just happens natually.  

Why some people who exercised lots never experienced it whilst they were active and then feel it after stopping and resuming exercise again, I don't know.  It's may just be thefact that the body isn't used to the activity after having a break.  It may just be getting used to being stretched that way again as it's not accustomed to it now.

I'd love to know the definitive answer as I have lots of theories but not real proof, but I am relieved to know that I am not the only one who has this sensation and has pondered what it is.

Thank you folks.
Ok this has been answered, it's fasciculations. And for all of you who think it is "cellulite dissolving," it's not. Cellulite is a description, not a physical object. Cellulite describes the dimpling of skin caused by too much fat surrounding connective tissue. In other words, our skin is connected to the muscle and when too much fat gets between the fat and muscle the skin pushed out, the dimpling is the area the connective tissue connects to the muscle. If you lose enough weight, the cellulite will disappear. So now that we know cellulite isn't an object, we know that it can't dissolve either.
Thanks a ton for this thread. I have a unique experience to share. Recently I have been experiencing a strange feeling too. Like the ones mentioned in the previous comments. You may call it a tingling sensation, or bubbles popping. To add more, I would like to mention what it feels like. I know its really gonna sound weired, but I cant stop writing this. Its the same feeling like I used to get while breast feeding the baby. The milk which flows through the veins or just breaks free from some part of the gland, its similar feeling that I get, especially around the tummy area, in the thigh area and also sometimes around the waist area. Basically where I have huge deposit of Fats. I am currently undergoing the HCG weight loss protocol and am amazingly successful. its just 15 days I have started the actual low cal diet and have lost 20 lbs already. still 26 days to go.. I am extremely obese and DO NOT exercise at all. Still I get this feeling. To be honest initially I felt so strange and felt like scratching the area, but didnt really stopped the feeling. But honestly I really enjoy the tingling sensation.
I read a post on a different website before seeing this forum.  Here is what I can share from answers.com:

That popping feeling is called Fasciculation. When you work your muscles they contract and the blood vessels dilate. When you are done exercising and your body is returning to a normal state the twitching can occur. It should go away shortly after you finish your workout. This is normal after a good walk or jog..and usually sitting to rest. The feeling results in a "popcorn" feeling at the skins surface.

Hope this helps!

I definitely agree that this sensation is due to fasciculation. Here's my history:

I'm a distance runner for a university in the mid west. I've never had any experience with these symptoms before running such high mileage, and I've played many sports before such as football, soccer and water polo.

We recently began our "hill phase" of training for outdoor season. I suddenly noticed that after intense hill workouts (read: most people would end up crawling back home afterwards) my quadriceps would seem to feel like a low current of electricity was flowing through them for 20-30 minutes afterwards. It feels like they are on the verge of cramping, but the firing is so chaotic that the whole muscle never spasms. Kind of like someone firing a tazer into your leg at really low power. I guess I could see the "bubbles" point of view, but I think it feels more like electricity.

As a side note, I don't think believe the fat cell theory is accurate because I have a pretty low body fat percentage.

I also think there's nothing for people to worry about, as it just seems to be related to the body coping with a large amount of exertion.
It could be low potassium. We need 2000-35000 mg of it a day. Potassium is a very important mineral for the proper function of all cells, tissues, and organs in the human body. It is also an electrolyte, a substance that conducts electricity in the body, along with sodium, chloride, calcium, and magnesium. Potassium is involved in nerve function, muscle control and blood pressure. I was hospitalized for hypokalemia (low potassium) and I used to get an electrical shock or popping feeling in my legs after exercise, since I've been taking a supplement, that hasnt happened.
sorry, i meant 3500 not 35000 mg
I get this weird feeling when I walk over a 1/2 hour. My girlfriend and I explain it as " alka seltzer legs".  It doesnt hurt, feels sorta good and is usually around the knees. It lasts about 5-10 minutes or so when we sit in the car to go home. It is comforting that so many people are getting these feelings. I wish someone could come up with a true medical reason for it.
Omgoodness! I thought it was just me and then I decided to google it! I have been walking regularly for about a month now and every time without fail I always get this popping sensation when I stop, as a matter of fact, it's doing it right now in my thighs since I just came back from walking. I'm sixteen and it is exactly what everyone is talking about! I also get vision blackouts when I stand too quickly. I don't know if any of this is relevant, but I would love to know what it all means. Wow! Still surprised that so many others have the same "popping" feeling...:)
Muscles are composed of actin and myosin fibers. These fibers essentially lock and pull together (to contract the muscle) then unlock and release (to expand the muscle). After exercising, muscle fibers sometimes remain tense or contracted. Moving the fibers by walking, jumping, stretching, etc. forcefully unlocks the myosin and actin heads thus causing that "pop" sound heard within your leg muscles. Happens to me often especially after doing vigorous leg exercises.
Muscles are composed of actin and myosin fibers. These fibers essentially lock and pull together (to contract the muscle) then unlock and release (to expand the muscle). After exercising muscle fibers sometimes remain tense or contracted. Moving the fibers by walking, jumping, stretching, etc. forcefully unlocks the myosin and actin heads thus causing that "pop" sound heard within your leg muscles. Happens to me all the time especially after exercising my legs.
I have gotten this kind of sensation since my early 20s. It happens after a long walk after I have not walked for a long time. I describe it as a "pumping" sensation but popping could also describe it. To me, it feels like blood pumping in my legs. About one pump or pop every second, each time in a different, random place on either my thighs or calves. The popping gradually slows then stops after a few minutes. I am thin but carry more fat on my thighs than anywhere else. I have normal blood pressure, but I feel dizzy if I stand up too fast. And like I said, this only happens after I exercise when I haven't been active for a while. I don't think it's anything to worry about in itself. From reading this, it seems like most people with leg popping have lower blood pressure. I am thinking there is some kind of genetic predisposition which increases your risk for leg popping, low blood pressure, fatigue, thyroid problems, etc. Even though I do not have all of those symptoms, they do run in my family. And my two sisters also experience the leg popping sensation after exercising.
I'd like to think of it as cellulite bursting!!!!!! Be GONE, cellulite!
I have this same popping sensation in my upper thighs after vigorous walks/jogs.  I find it to be more intense If I walk on paved roads rather than on a treadmill or elliptical machine.  I first noticed it happening in my early twenties. I am now a 31 yr old female, 5'7", 135 lbs who exercises moderately. It seems to help if I stretch or do strength training exercises immediately following cardio.  I have always been concerned because I have not been able to find anyone else with this issue.  This thread has definitely eased my concerns! So glad to see that so many others experience this, too.  I should note that I do have hypothyroidism so maybe it could be related..or maybe it is a coincidence.  I guess we don't really know at this point.  Thank you for this thread! I suddenly feel like jogging!
I have read everyones comments on here and have to say that I have experienced these popping sensations for years. I have been thin and medium size and now a little on the heavy side. I have had low blood pressure and now have normal blood pressure. I have serious health problems now, such as Brain tumor and periods of blindness.
I wanted to say this popping sensation is not like a bubble wrap. Because when you pop a bubble wrap it takes a few seconds or more to go on to the next bubble. It is like pop corn popping. It does not hurt. I actually look forward to it. When I exercise if I don't get this feeling then I know that I have not done a good enough work out. You don't get it hours after working out. It is not a muscle strain, or muscle twitching, I have those due to my illness and know what those feel like.It is not on the surface of your skin and does not tingle. I get that too. It is a constant popping sensation that lasts for about 5 mins after sitting down after your exercise. I like to believe it is the fat breaking up on my thighs.
I would say that it is nothing to worry about and those who are experiencing pain or If you are getting this sensation hours afterwards it is not the same and may want to discuss with your doctor.
I have described this to my husband and he too looks at me like I am strange, so I thought I was the only one who experienced this but always found it satisfying and strive for the sensation everytime.
I have had these sensations late evening-time and even in bed in my calf.  I am fairly active and weight-train three times a week.  It feels like popping or twitching.  I can actually feel the movement under the skin when I place my hand on my calf.   It lasts maybe 5 minutes.  I was wondering if a supplement would help.
I have had these sensations late evening-time and even in bed in my calf.  I am fairly active and weight-train three times a week.  It feels like popping or muscular "crawling".  I can actually feel the movement under the skin when I place my hand on my calf.   It lasts maybe 5 minutes.  I was wondering if a supplement would help.
I get "bubbles" before I exercise.  I have a desk job and when I get off work, by the time I walk through the building to the outside, the bubbles run down my left leg from hip to the feet.  At first I thought the ground was vibrating, but it was inside my leg and foot.  I cannot feel the bubbles with my hand, and stomping or running does not stop it.  I cannot believe that educated doctors cannot find a correct answer to this problem since so many people have it.  I saw answers here that only relate to exercising - mine are not related to exercising.  Mine actually go away when I take my long walk at night with the dogs.  No more guessing - some physician find an answer!
I hit this thread on Google after I searched for "tingling veins" or something like that. After reading this thres, I could describe my experience better. Yes, I do feel the popping / tingling sensation in my legs and thighs. Just as described by many people here. In addition, I also feel them elsewhere, like neck, left hand, near heart, sometimes even head, etc.

And it's a good feeling. Although, I don't exercise or walk much. I am thin and have moderate food intake.

I have been getting these sensations since last few months.  This also coincides with the periods of my life where I have been feeling most peaceful and relaxed after years of struggle (mostly internal). I get these at nearly all times, while working, while focussed on something, while reading, even as I type this.

As I think about it, these sensations have to do with feelings of happiness, peace and strength  after decades of continuous minor stress.
So I'm not alone!  I experience the same popping thing and have for about 10 yrs now whenever I engage in a brisk walk or run.  The sensation is confined to my thighs and buttock area. I used to be much more active and in better shape and did NOT have this sensation back then.  I also tire easily when walking up stairs or riding a bike for instance.  I feel a bit on the "weak" side muscularly speaking.. And my blood pressure is on the abnormally low side.  I cannot help but think it may be more pressure/circulation related than not. As much of an optimist as I am and although I'd love it to be the case, i don't believe this is cellulite instantly disappearing.  Thanks for all the posts, let's learn of a more definitive answer soon.  
  i have been experiencing this for a few days after my last exercise session, and it is a continuous feeling. also,, it does not feel good to me, but rather like my leg might give out if the "bubbles" were coordinated together.
it is interesting that i do have alot in common with the people on this thread. i have very low blood pressure, suffer from lightheadedness, and even black out if i stand too quickly. i do not have hypothyroidism, however my father does, and ive heard its hereditary.
I am very thin, so the cellulite thing sounds not likely in my case. i do work out 3 to 4 times per wk , and recently upped my frequency, so i do think it is muscular, whatever it is.
i did find a link about restless leg syndrome, and it says this is a precursor to this... i also have terrible insomnia and that too is a symptom of RLS, so im a bit worrried. i plan to have a checkup with my doc to rule out anything serious and will repost if i find out anything relevant.Also, the RLS site said it could be linked to low dopamine levels, which dopamine also helps us to sleep at night.
I had been experiencing this too! Although I wasn't exercising. I'm 12, and I'm really athletic.
After I go for walks, my muscles sometimes twitch and it's the same sensation you're describing. Try getting more potassium and drinking more water- it works for me!
I have this too. I definitely think it's the cellulite dissolving. I have also noticed that when I am overeating and gaining weight the same area with pulsate, not pop. I truly think the popping is the fat being broken down and the pulsating is fat being added to the the cells. I only get the popping during exercise but the pulsating occurs at rest and is associated with overeating. When do you think someone will do some research regarding this? seems like it isn't well known by the medical community. Background info: I have always struggled with my weight. Been overweight (not obese) my whole life and have dieted and exercised regularly so I end up being normal weight every 3 years for 3 years and then gradually regain the weight. Never get heavier than my previous heavy weight luckily. I also have had cellulite since I was 20 and it has gotten worse over the years. Most of my weight is in my legs, always is even when I am slender. I would say I genetically have heavyset legs. To add to this I have varicose and spider veins. My legs actually swell because of the blood pooling. I don't think the popping has to do with my blood vessel problems. I absolutely think it's the fat cells breaking down fat and there is also increased blood flow there to pick up the fat nutrient energy.  
your describing something different. sounds like lactic acid accumulation and muscle exertion.
This sounds like a feasible explanation but why, then, does it only occur after walking? It seems a common thread here that if people do more vigorous exercise such as jogging, cycling or aerobics it doesn't happen, this is exactly the same for me, it's only after a brisk walk for at least ten minutes?? Thanks.
I know the question was posted a couple years ago I just wanted put in my input....all the ones I have been reading are all wrong...its not bad...it is your fat burning in your thighs or anywhere u feel it after u run jog or anything to do with that. Its just tour fat burning away.

ps. Im 15 and I know that haha pretty pathletic for so many people not to know.
Hi Donwan,

I am interested to speak with you as i have most of the symptoms you have and am at my means end. I have fainting fits, fibromyalgia, popping, pins and needles, full body pain and extreme anxiety where i completely freak out and either fall asleep or need to lie down.  Can you tell me what you have done or are you still suffering?  Thanks
I'm 22 and have been getting the popping sensation in my calves for about 2 years. I'm a keen runner and normally only get the sensation when I have had a long run (6-8 miles) only happens when I'm in bed relaxing too.

I really hate the feeling as it stops me from sleeping, like others I can put my hand on my leg and feel it popping (like a baby moving?!?)

I have found nothing helps to make it go away, other than trying to sleep as to not think of it
"Actually, it is your nerves still firing and making your muscles twitch after strenous exercise, especially after intense aerobic exercise. These muscle twitches are known as fasiculations, which are a small, local, involuntary muscle contractions visible under the skin arising from the spontaneous discharge of skeletal muscle fibers.  Fasiculations can be caused by certain motor diseases but are more commonly caused by electrolyte imbalances, dehydration, stress and fatigue.  Fasiculations are a normal body response to abrupt changes in activity levels such as running for 30 mins. and then suddenly ending the activity. Their intensity is heightened when it has been awhile between exercising routines."  

This above is most logical (someone posted earlier).  I for one am horrible at warming up and especially bad at warming down. A typical day for me is a five to seven mile run directly into an 8.6 mph pace, sustained though usually increased, followed by a bike session of ten to twenty miles usually from 21 to 23 mph, with an abrupt stop and zero stretch, which sounds rediculous, but it's a peeve of mine. Nevertheless, while lying down at night, shortly after exercise, I experienced heavy "popping," "twitches," which couldn't possible be related to "fat" because I've hardly got any... and fat doesn't necessarily "dissolve" anyway. So it isn't cellulite dissolving; it would be blood or muscle fiber related. I've begun incorporating a few things that have helped. One, I walk in place, into jumping jacks, slow and then fast, and stretch mildy and finally take my first mile no faster than a 7:30 minute to get juices flowing; different paces for different folks, naturally, the key is let the body build into the workout. Instead of finishing my last mile faster than all others, I reduce speed to nearly an 8 minute mile, to warm down. I stretch and then go to bike. I stretch after a five minute warm down off the bike. Light stretching. Very easy movements (this is horrendous for me--feels good, I just have a problem sitting still); then, something I do love, and feel immideate results with--lye with your butt against the wall and your legs straight up same wall. Hold for three to five minutes. Let the blood drain out of your legs. When you stand, more oxygenated, fresh blood will filter back in. I always feel good after that. By incorporating this, and trying for earlier workouts rather than forty minutes before bed, there is a noticeable reduction in popping, twitching, and the general recovery time has tremendously shortened. And hydrate, hydrate.
I should clarify. Fat cells. They shrink, which is likely what most of you mean by "dissolving." They are always there, it is just that when we "lose" fat our bodies convert molecules in those fat cells to usable forms of energy, thus "shrinking" the cells, thus the reduced appearance of fat. A process that wouldn't be "felt."
Ced12345, you are very on it, indeed. I have my degree in Exercise Physiology/Biomechanics and am now a Physiology instructor, and these types of forums always fascinate me. I agree with your points, minus the fasiculation part. (Nor does the pooping occur from dehydration, low blood pressure, blood flow, etc.)

Muscle fasiculations are typically due to, as you've stated, an electrolyte imbalance or dehydration. These produce a very uncomfortable feeling; not painful, but annoying (akin to having an eyelid twitch when tired and you just want it to stop because it's so irking, but not in the least painful). In contrast, this (shall we emphasize) PLEASANT popping sensation has been happening to me since I was a teenager (pleasant does not imply good, though, as I'll clarify below). I've been a runner since then and also taught aerobics for 9 years. It generally happens when I've just finished a brisk walk or jog, rather than an intense aerobics class.

Let me enlighten you all on its physiological mechanism of occurrence: weight bearing exercise is the cause, especially that of brisk walking and light jogging after not performing these for some time, or doing either at a greater intensity than normal. Weight bearing exercise is when each foot literally picks up and places back down with some amount of force that is then transferred up the body's kinetic chain (joints)... forms include walking/running/hiking, or any activity where the foot is picked up then placed back down. This does NOT include activities where gravity is reduced, as in swimming, or the feet are kept in place, as on a bike, "stairmaster" or eliptical/precor. Weight bearing exercise jolts the bones and attached connective/muscular tissues causing forces to transfer up the body with each heel strike.

The first area with the greatest force is the knee (thus why sensations are often felt just above this area), to the joints of the hip (iliofemoral/iliosacral joints). At this point the force is GREATLY dispersed when it hits the sacrum and travels up through each of the 24 vertebrae. Thus, the most forces are present between the knee and hip joints.
(The reason the "popping" is primarily felt in the thigh has nothing to do with cellulite or any of the other hypothesis above--although it was fun to read, lol.... You guys crack me up with all your "cellulite dissolving" wishes. I'm sorry to ruin the day for everyone, but this has NOTHING to do with adipose tissue (body fat). Nerve supply to adipose is few and far between, because there is little physioloogical need for nerve-fat innervation. Muscle tissue, however, is intertwined greatly with the nervous system. In fact, each muscle fiber is controlled by a nerve--it's called a "motor unit," and is connected via the neuromuscular junction.)
Anyhow... Gait during walking is normally heel-to-toe, while correct running should be toe-to-heel, thereby reducing forces naturally. This is why the occurrence is so much greater after walking briskly, rather than running. The faster you walk, actually, the greater the forces placed on your joints--especially the knee/hip. Unless you're doing a straight plyometrics class at the gym on concrete, you won't experience the pooping after a class quite like you will after fast walking. In other words, running at a fast pace/doing an intense aerobics class does not cause the sensation as frequently because a natural physiological adaptation during running is to run "lighter," (toe-to-heel) therefore causing less jolt. The same goes for aerobics. Your body protects itself by altering gait mechanics in these intense situations. Conversely, when WALKING fast, the body senses less need to protect the joints, therefore people tend to walk "heavy" as opposed to light and "on their toes," like a ballerina.

To close, although I do enjoy the popping feeling, I know it happens because I've put quite the load on my joints, and so I don't take it as a good thing. Quote the contrary: It means I need to walk lighter. If you don't believe me, try jumping off something high, barefoot, onto concrete, and land on your heels. You'll probably feel this popping feeling for about an hour, but it won't just be in your thighs--it'll also happen in your low back and maybe even your entire vertebral column/core area. The "popping," therefore, is a post-workout sensation of (literally) the "shocks" that have ensued from extreme forces exerted onto the joints. Get better shoes and/or be conscious of keeping your body weight lifted and high, without shrugged the shoulders or placing accentuated strain in the neck/chest when breathing (always use your diaphragm instead of intercostals as your primary breathing muscle). By the way, the symptom of increased blood flow is heat to an area, not popping, and symptoms of dehydration are uncomfortable, involuntary muscular contractions/cramps within a muscle, and generally do not occur in both limbs at the same time. And cellulite, I'm afraid to say, is not capable of "melting," "dissolving," or "popping," (that'd be nice!). Adipose is there for life; the cells only shrink or grow, as ced12345 stated earlier. I hope this explanation helped you all :)

Think ballerinas next time you walk, people. All the best, Namaste!
BRILLIANT REPLY! Many thanks!!!!!
I should also clarify: running causes more OVERALL forces to the body with each foot strike than brisk walking, it is just that the forces are dispersed more efficiently when running, due to the body's natural way of responding to the high loads placed on the joints. You can see what I'm referring to by simply observing someone walking quickly versus a runner. In most cases, although the runner is moving faster (thereby withstanding more forces), she/he will APPEAR to carry their weight lighter than the fast walker. That is force distribution at work. This is the reason a ballerina can take a tremendous leap into the air and land her wooden toe silently onto a solid stage.
(I should also correct my gravity comment... No exercise or activity can reduce gravity itself here on Earth, I meant that swimming is an exercise where the EFFECTS of gravity are greatly reduced. In addition, I used the word "pooping" instead of "popping" and "quote" instead of "quite." Pardon my errorrs. Whoooops! I hope my point was still taken with credibility.) Till next time. Cheers.
i am a regular 14 year old bpth my legs all the way up to my thigh starts to throb when i was run or just out of no were it feel like i am just gonna fall i hurts really bad i ask my doctor he said because im flat footed after i got doctor sools i had them in about 4 months and still they hurt again i dont know what it is but i cant deal with it any longer
It might be fascial release. We have fascia that wraps our muscles.  It's like plastic wrap. Over time, with no activity, it can get stuck, holding our muscles in one position. Massage therapists can perform fascial release. In order to keep the fascia from sticking requires adequate hydration, movement and heat.  Exercise moves and heats the muscles, creating an opportunity for fascial release. Stretching after walking/running might also encourage release. When fascia releases the muscle have an opportunity to assume their truly resting position, which takes stress off of compensating muscles and structures.
I'm 58 and also feel this sensation when I relax or at bedtime.  I exercise regularly and have muscular calves and I also feel it from my ankle to my knee. I have it in one leg only. Once I tried athletic support socks at night. It felt like carbonation from a soda trying to surface.
Have y'all asked your doctors about POTS or different forms of Dysautonomia?  I have Neurocardiogenic Syncope, and with my low blood pressure I have trouble with blood pooling in my feet and feeling faint along with many other symptoms mainly during exercise.  I have this leg popping after walking.  If you are feeling dizzy or faint along with your sudden standing or exercising you should look into this.  Thanks!  I have had NCS for 3 years and before that never had this leg popping problem.
I have pots and this  just happened to me after I went for a long walk but I didnt know the two had any connection. Interesting..
When you use your muscles, including walking or running, your blood begins flowing through your veins at a greater speed. If you suffer from poor blood circulation, the blood has a more difficult time providing oxygen to your legs and feet. This can the sensations you are feeling. Walking is the best cure for poor circulation. Once you have increased blood circulation, the sensation will go away.
That almost bubbling sensation in your legs is normal.It will occur after a tough session or in your case a jog or walk.Just let it happen