Looking for Advice on Possible Varicose Veins in Outer Shins?
Hello.

About 5 years ago I started running as a way to lose weight. I would run in the streets, usually between 2 to 4 miles per day. Around 2 to 3 years ago is when I first started noticing the feeling of pressure on the outside of my shins when I ran, and sometimes I'd feel a slight ache for a couple of hours after a run. I never really thought anything of it. Within the past year or so, I began also noticing that along with the feeling of pressure, I would get a noticeable lump on the outside of my shin, on the lower half of my shin. It is caused when I step down when running, or when I put any large amount of pressure on my legs. I also get it when walking but not as extreme. Lately I have started working on my legs at the gym and it has been brought to my attention again. However this time, when I'm lifting weights that require the use of my legs, the ache is alot stronger, sort of a throbbing sensation, and the lump really protrudes. The lump/bulge is about the size of a 20 pence piece in diameter, and is in the same location on both of my legs.

I tried a google search and came up with this website, with symptoms that sound vaguely like mine, and the picture shows lumps in the legs which look vaguely similar to mine. http://www.medivein.com/varicose.php

When I sit or lie down and have no weight on my legs, the lumps disappear, and when I stand stationary with no added weight on my legs, the lumps shrink to a hardly noticeable size.

I am 24 years old, and as far as I'm aware, overall I am in decent physical shape. I have no conditions, no illnesses, no disabilities or anything like that. My dad, who is 52 years old and who undertook quite alot of physical activity in his younger days seems to have them too, but when I spoke to him about it he didn't really seem bothered or affected by his and he didn't recall ever having trouble with them, or when he got them, etc.

I was watching some random A&E show on the tv the other day, and there was a man who was training to become a fitness instructor. He had went for a run in the local park and he said everything was as normal, when he all of a sudden felt a dull stab in his outer shin, and when he looked down, blood was shooting out of the side of his shin similar to a severed artery. Anyway, he was sitting in the hospital with a bandage over the injury, and he'd been there for a couple of hours. When the nurse took the bandage away the blood began squirting again and she quickly had to put the pressure back. To me, this looked and sounded like a possible outcome to my condition. Of course this show worried me and now I'm alot more conscious of the thing.

I was hoping somebody on here could identify what this condition is for me, and also, if it is serious or no. Also, anything I can do to ease this, etc. My girlfriend has suggested buying a pair of those lyrcra bandage-like things that athletes wear when they have bad knees or legs etc, as they may help to hold the lump/bulge in place as opposed to "popping out". I would appreciate it if someone can provide me with the technical name for these also, and whether or no they would be a worthwhile investment?

Thanks.
Hi there!

Well, first it has to the determined if the swelling in your case is actually due to varicose veins or something else. Possibilities include vascular aneurysms, muscular growths, growths from surrounding connective tissue etc. Shin pains could occur from a variety of other reasons as well, like fractures, inflammations etc. Assuming the swelling to be due to varicose veins, management is largely dependent on the severity, the associated complications and cosmetic reasons. Conservative/ non-interventional management would include use of compression stockings, leg elevation, NSAIDS etc. It would be best to get this evaluated by a primary care physician initially and later a specialist care may be sought, if required.
Hope this was useful.

Take care!
This was diagnosed as damaged valves in my superficial perforator veins.