Exercise & Fitness Community
Losing height?

Our Exercise & Fitness community to help you take charge of your health. Ask a question, join a conversation, get tips: fitness, nutrition, and management tools / trackers.

Losing height?

I
That can be true. When you lift weights, your muscles tear apart. When you are at rest, your muscles heal themselves and become stronger, thicker and in most cases shorter.
Your muscles may become so short that they will eventually restrict your bone growth and therefore you may not grow as tall as what 'God had planned'.

I think age is a big factor though. If you are out of your teen stages and no longer growing, I don't see how lifting weights will interfere with your height, as your body has already reached it's full amount of growth.

Stretching is another factor I consider. Before AND after every workout, each muscle should be stretched (after a good warm-up) for no more or less then 30 seconds per muscle. It will add flexibility and length to your muscle fibres.

I am 19 years old and have been lifting since I was 13. I am 6-foot tall, I tower over uncles, cousins almost everyone in my family, be them older, younger or the same age as myself so I don't see working out as a factor in height reduction. But taking into account that I always warmed and stretched my muscles throughly before AND after each workout.

That is very very important.

I hope all goes well for you and feel free to ask further.

God Bless.
No, it does not make anyone become shorter.
wutthechris is correct-there is no evidence of this.  The physiological explanation that the previous person gave is completely without merit.
No offence bobthetrainer but you have no professional knowledge whatsoever. I see on a few forums that you always dismiss things other people say, when the things you suggest are by no means relevant to what the topic is about.

You make your words sound all professional but if any person with half a brain read it, they would know you just talk rubbish. One person, in another topic, asked about losing weight from certain areas of their body. You came along and said that walking was his perfect cure.

If you knew anything, because you say you are a trained professional, you would know how to properly hit target areas.

Before you answer any questions in the future, I suggest you read some medical and/or exercise textbooks to give you some idea of the **** you are talking at LEAST!

Wish you well in your studies.
>=]
Lucky06,

If you have read the other forums like you say, then you know that I am a Registered Dietitian and ACE Certified Personal Trainer with 10 years of clinical experience-sorry for breaking "the rules" of this forum about not listing your professional qualifications but you question my knowledge base, so I feel a response is warranted.

I make my words sound professional because that's what they are.  They are a professional's opinion.  The reason I dismiss many things that other people say is because many of the unfounded opinions (particularly in the nutrition/exercise forums) are based on anecdotal evidence and not from clinical knowledge or accepted scientific text.  And by the way, I never once said to anyone that "walking is the cure" to weight management.  I challenge you to point to which string you are referring to because it was never said, even remotely, in that context.

You say that you are 19 years old which leads me to believe, at the most, you are a sophomore in college.  It sounds like YOU are the one who needs to read more text about diet/exercise if you believe what I am saying is "rubbish".  If you would like, I'd be happy to share with you which diet/exercise textbooks I use clinically/practically.  These are the most academically accepted books regarding diet/exercise therapy.

*Kraus's Food, Nutrition, & Diet Therapy by Mahan/Escott-Stump
*ACSM's (American College of Sports Medicine) Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription

I have a 35 yr. old friend who was a body builder, but has had to quit because he started loosing height.  He's actually not just loosing height but is shrinking...he says proportionately.  He was 5'10 and is now at 4'10" and has lost about 50 lbs in about 6 - 8 wks.  Although, he has had to change his eating habits, he basically ate proteins and no vegatables nor fruits while he was lifting weights. Obviously this is a medical condition, but have you ever heard of this happening to a body builder and is it reversible?
This is a crazy question but I am looking for any help. PLEASE!!! I am a 40 year old female weight is 118 and since high school I have always been 5'5 1/2. Recently I have noticed my pants seem longer and I was measured and my height is no 5'3. HOW is that possible!!!???!!! Can anyone help me??
mishymoshymarcy "Nothing worth having comes... Comment
realjimmy, and mishymoshymarcy commented on mishymoshymarcy's status
mkh9 Too hot again today, yuck. Comment
Achieve your weight goals
Exercise Tracker
Make exercise part of your routine