Exercise & Fitness Community
Lower Ab and Groin Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Lower Ab and Groin Pain

For the last 2 months I've had pain in my lower abs/groin area.  At first, I thought it was a groin pull (it felt very similar to one I've had in the past), but after taking 4 weeks off, the pain was still there.  Being that I play soccer, a friend told me to go see a specialist because I had symptoms of having a hernia (lower ab/groin pain, intensified pain when sitting up from a laying down position, coughing and sneezing).  After seeing the specialist, he ruled out both a traditional and sports hernia, but I've heard you can't know for sure unless you get an MRI or CAT scan?

Any suggestions on what this is and healing time?  Occasionally I go for a run or play some light soccer because the pain is tolerable, but waking up the next morning is probably when most of the pain occurs, with the pain subsiding once my body warms up.  

Matt
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Hernia can be inguinal, femoral or direct commonly.
The pain in the groin area may be due to inguinal hernia but there are other conditions which might cause this. You do not need an MRI and CT for this and a simple clinical examination by a surgeon is enough to rule out hernia.

This might also be due to any infection, swollen lymph nodes, injury etc.

Follow up with your physician for a proper diagnosis and treatment. Take anti inflammatory drugs to reduce the pain.

Take care!