Exercise & Fitness Community
Lower abdominal and hip pain after Running

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

hi I am a young adult female, I recently started taking up jogging. I jog up and down a slight hill. While the first few times nothing happened but after 3 or 4 times when i slowed at the end i started getting fairly severe pains in my lower abdominand around the top of my hips. They are really uncomfortable and i have to sit on a stool leaning forward whilst holding onto to benchtop for 5 mins or so. I do a exercise class and never experience this during my classes or after sit ups. I am not overweight at all, I am a vegertarian and possibly anemic. Just wondering what causes these pains and how to stop them.
Could possibly be that the muscle needs to be stretched... I used to get a pain in my hip in a really odd spot and had no clue why. My trainer told me it was from continuously making the same motions but never stretching those muscles after exercising them. I explained that I always stretched every muscle possible, but she told me the only way to relax the hip muscle is by rolling on it.  You can either use one of those foam rollers made just for this purpose or she said you can actually use a rolling pin and roll it up and down your side several times.  Maybe try that and see if it works?