Exercise & Fitness Community
Lower abdominal pain when running.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Lower abdominal pain when running.

I'm a pretty fit male 43 years old.  I've been running regularly for five years or so now.  I probably average 20 miles a week when not training for a race.  When I say race I mean for fun not competitive 9.5 to 10 min mile pace.  Anyway I guess maybe a month ago I started having a pain when I started out running, but it would go away pretty quickly.  I wrote it off as just sore muscles from other work outs I was doing.  I'd just run through it.  It then started to last a little longer, and I'd have to run for 5 or 10 minutes till it would go away and gradually has gotten worse.  2 weeks ago it hurt for a whole 4.5 mile run. as I was finishing I coughed and it about doubled me over with pain.  I was pretty uncomfortable the rest of they day.  I took the last two weeks off and tried to run the other day, and the pain was still there.  I stopped right away, and scheduled a doctor appointment.  A few days latter I started having trouble sleeping with stomach pain pretty much in the same area, when I lay on my stomach.  Saw my doctor yesterday, and he did the hernia test and said that was fine, and poked around my abdomen.  I had a little pain low on my left side at my waist.  My pain when I run is there and on the right side to.  He's sent off for approval from my insurance to do a CT scan.  He mentioned he was concerned that the pain was progressively lasting longer, and he said something about possible fluid build up in I think the mesotelial area.  I may be wrong about that cause when I read about that, it's seems all about asbestous, and I don't think I've ever been around that much.  Anyway I'm rambling, I'm just curious if anyone has any ideas what might be going on.  I'm petty bummed about not being able to work out.  Oh, I know you'll probably ask, I do hydrate well before and during my running.  No real health problems other than a single pulmonary nodule we monitored for a couple years that never grew from the time it was found during a routine physical.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Let the CT scan be over and till then you can do slow walking without aggravating your injury. Do not worry much and now the most important thing is diagnosis of your problem as it is lasting longer, after that when you are fit you can always resume your 20 miles a week. Sometimes when you have muscle sprain it lasts longer, and good you are negative to hernia.
Take care!
I have been having the same problem I'm 26 an in good condition it hurts when I sit up or over stretch my leg an when I play football my left side of my groin starts hurting an when I stop completely cramps up
I'm 16 and no offense but im quite a bit faster, I run about 8-12 miles a day at around 630 pace and I run a 5k in 16:20, or used too, for about a month or two now I've been getting this pain in my ab when I start running and dosnt go away until I stop, if I lean forward it goes away it hurts to lean back (to stretch) I can't stop and walk everytime I get this so I painfully run through it, it caused me to not run at my state track meet and it's a huge problem because I need to run to get into college I don't know what to do anymore I need a solution or at least a diagnosis, and I need someone who maybe is near my speed and an experienced runner rather than the weekend warrior sorry for the harshness but running is my life and this is killing me