Today, I decided to run 1.25 miles, 1/4 of which was through rough terrain. (Dropped off my car at a local shop then literally ran back home.) That first 1/4 was run at a pretty quick clip for me--definitely faster than my usual runs--in much rougher terrain than I'm used to, but the rest was at a normal pace (between 5 and 6 mph) on pavement. During the run I had some difficulty breathing, due to the first 1/4+nasal congestion, and a lot of saliva (and therefore lots of spitting). Don't know if that matters, but I thought I'd mention it.
My heart rate, during that first 1/4 was higher than normal (my peak is between 160 and 185; I was probably in the upper range of that, maybe higher).
When I got home, I huffed and I puffed and I... sat down. When I did, I started noticing that my back felt tight, between my shoulders. I also had the urge to bite down on something. I've felt similar during times of great exertion (and reminds me of my school days, during P.E.--I was the fat kid who hated to run). It lasted for about 5 minutes. Again, this was after the exercise, not during. During this time I also was very tired, like I could lay in bed and drift into cloud 9 for about 10 minutes, and started sweating profusely, though not unnaturally--I did just run a mile and a quarter.
What is this pain? Could it be heart related? Could it have been GERD? Could it just be breathing issues (my nose was stuffed, and I did nothing but mouth breathe.) Could it just be that I pushed myself too hard/over-exertion? I plan to make an appointment with my doctor, but I wanted to hear any ideas.
- Right Bundle Branch Block. Idiopathic, no known CVD.
- Allergy sufferer with some breathing issues.
- Eosinophilic Esophagitis (asthma of the esophagus. Yeah, it's weird, I know.)
- GERD (currently taking Omeprazole, 20mg/day)
- Recently (September) had a Treadmill Stress Test and an Echo. All normal (save for the RBBB)
- Had an EKG which my cardiologist said looked "OK" (RBBB with T-wave inversions in T1 through T3)
- 6'0, 220lbs (formerly 324lbs, but a fat boy as long as I can remember)
- Male, age 32
- Resting heart rate: ~60 +-8
- Blood Pressure: normally 115/68, but likely higher now due to the *ahem* fatty holidays...
- I run between 3 and 10 miles a day, 5+ days a week, usually around 5-6mph, usually about 3-5 miles at a time. Heart rate is usually in the upper 150's/low 160's during my runs.
As I said, going to the doctor about this, but wanted to see if maybe anyone else had experienced something like this.
I get some back pain after running as well... I have no medical issues and was told it is most likely my posture while running/bad running shoes. I went to a specialty store and got new shoes. Since then no back pain :-)
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.