Exercise & Fitness Community
Need a workout plan that will work with my health issues.

Our Exercise & Fitness community to help you take charge of your health. Ask a question, join a conversation, get tips: fitness, nutrition, and management tools / trackers.

I supposedly have a torn meniscus as well as some kind of tear in my ACL, I say supposedly because I have not had an MRI yet to verify this. I was told to stay off of my left leg due to both problems being in the left leg. However my doctors are so backed up and I am waiting months for appointments. I have been dealing with this for almost two years and I have gained so much weight that I am uncomfortable in my own skin. I need to get back in shape for myself and my children. Before the problems in my leg I was jogging 6 nights a week, but the doctor has told me that jogging is the worst thing I can do to my legs and now after putting on so much weight its even painful to walk on that leg. I have changed my whole diet, the way I eat has dramatically changed, I have filtered out all junk for fruits and vegetables. I just want to be able to workout and get back in shape without making these issues worse, but just sitting around waiting is not an option either and all it is doing is making me unhealthy, unhappy and putting me at risk for more health problems.
Do you have a knee brace to provide the stability your knee lacks?
Some of the exercises that are used to regain strength and function in the injured leg are heel slides, leg lifts, glute sets, bridges, heel raises and mini squats against a wall. The thigh muscle, or quadriceps, is likely to become weak after an injury. Quad sets and straight leg raises can help strengthen the quadriceps. All of these exercises should be done slowly and should not cause pain. Range of motion exercises are usually initiated as soon as the swelling and pain allow within the first few days after an injury.
you can resume other forms of aerobic exercise. Swimming is one form of aerobic exercise that does not require weight bearing. Rowing is another aerobic exercise that may be possible. You may also be able to use a  stationary cycle. If you feel pain in the knee when you exercise, stop and consult your doctor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxfLK_5clMk
I do not have a knee brace but my husband also said that I should get one. The only things my doctor suggested was water aerobics which did not work out it was very painful which made no sense because there was no added pressure. He also said I could try bycycling but only on a machine and that is the only thing that seems to work. I just don't feel as if I am doing enough I want to do more. They said that the meniscus might heal on its own if I stayed off of it but as I mentioned I have laid off and it's not getting any better. I will reach out to another orthopedic surgeon and see if I can get any additional information because I want to do the suggested leg exercises, I am use to having strong legs so being restricted like this is hard for me.

Thank you for your comment & suggestions!
Oh my excuse the typos and comma splices lol
The Peak 8 routine it will quickly raise your heart rate 8 times for very short bursts, with a cooling down period in between. Ideally you’ll be sprinting or cycling full throttle for 30 seconds with a 90 second cool down in between each outburst.

This is the fastest way to lose fat and build muscle in the body. Peak 8 actually stimulates the growth hormone in the body. I encourage you to visit Dr Mercola’s site to learn more about Peak 8 fitness because I personally feel that it is one of the best ways to exercise, especially considering the speed at which you can lose fat and build muscle.

I highly recommend you read this article and watch the videos on the page. It will give you all the information you need to know about Peak 8 – Flood Your Body With This “Youth Hormone” In Just 20 Minutes

What you eat after Peak 8 training does matter

It’s recommended that you do not eat sugar or carbohydrate for 2 hours after the Peak 8 exercise because these foods can impact the release of the growth hormone in the body. The links are http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy7j9FRiJpg&list=PL9FxWnfq1Oyo9pHHUPHeQne4iqoZ4zTN_

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT5hRYXmxSE&list=PL9FxWnfq1Oyo9pHHUPHeQne4iqoZ4zTN_

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLKML9EL4As&list=PL9FxWnfq1Oyo9pHHUPHeQne4iqoZ4zTN_

Figure your heart rate by this formula
The Karvonen Formula is a mathematical formula that helps you determine your target heart rate zone. The formula involves using your maximum heart rate (MHR) minus your age to come up with a target heart rate range (which is a percentage of your MHR). Staying within this range will help you work most effectively during your cardio workouts.

an example of the Karvonen formula for a 23 year old person with a resting heart rate of 65 beats per minute (*to get your resting heart rate, take your pulse for one full minute when you first wake up in the morning or after you've resting for a while). This formula also includes an updated calculation of maximum heart rate (the previous formula was 220 - age, which has now been shown to be inaccurate):

206.9 - (0.67 x 23 (age)) = 191                
191 - 65 (resting heart rate) = 126            
126 * 65% (low end of heart rate zone) OR 85% (high end) = 82 OR 107    
82 + 65 (resting heart rate) = 147  
107 + 65 (rhr) = 172
The target heart rate zone for this person would be 147 to 172

First thing in the morning before you get out of bed have a clock with a second hand and check your resting heart rate then figure your rate by the
Karvonen Formula above.

You burn 30 percent more fat from doing cardio after a weights session as opposed to cardio on its own.
Wow!!! This helps a lot! Thank you so much!
KeeLolo commented on renae176's status
KeeLolo commented on veronica0808's status
KeeLolo commented on photo
Achieve your weight goals
Exercise Tracker
Make exercise part of your routine