Exercise & Fitness Community
PVC's- skipped heart beats

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

PVC's- skipped heart beats

I'm a healthy, 21yr old female triathlete/runner and have been experiencing occassional "skipped" heart beats. I'll usually get one or two a day for a couple days, then might not notice them for another week or more. They happen both at rest and during exercise. I have mentioned them to two physicians, both of whom think they are premature ventricular contractions, and have told me to just ignore them and not to worry. I have done some research online and have read that they are actually quite common and are usually benign.

I had an EKG/Echocardiogram/stress test about six months ago as a screeing for mitral valve prolapse (runs in the family) and everything was perfectly normal- 100% healthy heart according to the cardiologist. However, being a bit of a hypochondriac, I'm still worried about them. Every time I get one I freak out....the flip-flop feeling I get in my chest really scares me!! And the more I obsess about them, it seems the more I get. Could getting stressed out about them make them more prevalent? I'm guess I'm also looking for some extra reassurance that I can safely continue exercising....
Yes, stressing out about them could potentially make them worse, as well as cause you to notice every single one of them.  If you've gotten checked out and been told it's benign, it doesn't do you any good to worry about it.  Especially given that it's only one or two of these "weird" beats a day.  I'm not a doctor, but I do know a bit about these kinds of things (due to being the type of nerd who reads medical stuff all the time) and that sounds well within normal limits to me.  I occasionally get episodes where I get a bunch of PVC's during 30 seconds to a minute, and feel them all, but I don't give it a second thought (I did mention it at my physical and get it checked out just to be on the safe side).  You sound like a very healthy person overall.  By the way, we're about the same age--I'm 22.  I wish you the best!
By the way, I noticed that you had an EKG and echo done; did they catch any of this on the EKG?  When I got mine checked out, they did a 24-hour Holter monitor; this has a better chance of catching it so they can see what it is, whether they're PVC's or PAC's (the other possibility--these are generally benign also).  I had to have the Holter even though before the appointment was scheduled, I was in my college physiology lab and we were doing EKG's that day.  I was the test subject for my lab group, and had an episode start as soon as I got hooked up to the machine.  I caught the whole thing, looked at it and could tell it looked like PVC's, and brought it to the appointment--but they still did the Holter (in fairness, the tracing I brought in was very poor quality due to background interference etc.).  Just thought I'd share the funny story--even my lab professor got a kick out of the whole situation!
I have the same sort of problem. Im 27 and am in good shape I work out 4 to 5 times a week. It tends to happen more when I workout or am really stressed....From what my doctor told me there not anything to worry about and to just keep doing things the way I had been. Btw my doctor also told me that this type of thing can also happen to a person who is in really good shape. like say a runner like yourself because it slows down your heart rate. why that would cause that to happen I dont know..... but if its happening because your in good shape then Id say just keep on doing it.
PVC/ Pac - mostly benign.  I have been exp them for last 20 years,no issue. Of coruse bother some when present. If possible to get it done a holter montor test for safe side.
If that is good , just keep going . Goood luck
I've been a ER nurse and ICU nurse for 14 years now.  I also get "skipped beats" with exercise at times.  Trust me I don't like them either but these things are benign 99% of the time.  They are very normal.  Don't stress.  
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It is always good to have a cardiology consultation to rule out any problems if you have any "skipped beats" After that as the above post says you can be rest assured as 99% of the times they are benign.