Exercise & Fitness Community
Pain in chest and adjacent back while yawning,laughing and coughing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Hi(i'm 18 years old) i'm suffering from a chest and back pain while yawning,laughing and coughing for two months.the pain arrear after i increased my bench press weight.i've also put a heavy workouts before the pain.the pain is not constant.it seems to appear in ribs and sternum.pls help me i don't no what to do.......i'm feared of telling to my parents
Unless you have some pre-existing heart condition, the most likely cause of your trouble is an inflammation of the cartilige around/in between the ribs. It is called costochodritis and it can be very painful, but isn't serious. Advil or other NSAIDs should help with the pain.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Any of your seven costochondral junctions may be affected; these are the places where the ribs are attached to the sternum. Cartilage has a very limited blood supply so healing is stretched over a long period of time. I would suggest you to go for an X-ray and rule out any other bony involvement and follow up with an orthopedician for a proper diagnosis. You need to stop lifting of weights and also stop active upper body exercises involving your chest till properly diagnosed and treated. Take intermittent pain killers.

Take care!