Exercise & Fitness Community
Pain in the buttox and legs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Pain in the buttox and legs

I gave birth to my third child five weeks ago. Almost immediatly after the delivery I began experiencing Sciatic like pain. I had previously been diagnosed with Sciatica before my pregnancy but it never flaired up long enough to figure out what was causing it. What's more is I had absolutley no problems with the Sciatica during my pregnancy. Right after delivery the pain set in. The reason I am posting this is because this time it is different. When the pain started it was in my lower back and would radiate into my buttox. I was still able to lay down at this point and found sitting for long periods very uncomfortable. About two weeks after though the position of the pain changed. (My boughts with the sciatica prior to pregnancy would only last for 2 weeks at a time coincidently). Now the pain starts deep in my buttox and radiates all the way down my right leg almost to the top of my foot and radiates to about my knee on my left leg. I can not lay down anymore and now find sitting much more comfortable. I actually have to sleep sitting up. If I lay down on my back or stomach I get this horrible throbbing sensation in my legs that I can not deal with. Same things happens when making a bowel movement, the pain just throbs in my buttox and down my legs.  When I wake in the moring my hips feel very sore and I feel pain in my back, I am assuming from sitting all night.  . I want to make mention that this delivery was definitely the most strenuos on my body and forceful of my three. I was induced at 39w 3d. I started at about 2 CM with the baby being a very negative 3. I was placed on a pitocin drip and left on that for about 18 hours. The doctor was in no rush to break my water because it was Easter weekend and she had stuff to do that Sat. I was ok with that cause she broke the sac with my second one and I had hard labor for 7 hours. I did not want that again. Well she waited till about 3:30 am then next morn to break my water at 8 cm. I went from 8cm - 10 cm in less than 20 min. I told the dr I had to push and they barely got the table together before I litteraly threw her out in three pushes. Is there anything that I could had shifted, tore or ripped when delivering her because of the force that may have caused all of this?
I have began seeing a chiropractor and he is now debating whether his adjustments are doing any good because I have still not seen any relief.  He however has not sent me for the MRI yet and saw minor adjustments that were needed on the X-Ray.  I have to wait for the orthopedic surgeon as a new patient for another week. Can anyone give some insight on this, or suggestion as to what kind of doctor to see next. I have a 7 yr old,2 yr old and a 5 week old and feel like a horrible mom right now!
You might want to try a massage of the buttocks.  There are massage therapists out there that specialize in this type of therapy.  Since the Sciatic nerve runs though the buttocks and usually can be manipulated via massage back into "place".  Spinal manipulation may give some relief, but won't "move" the nerve.  Good luck
slight and sharp type of pain from a single spot in my right buttox when I lightly touch it and it shoots directly to my right testicle like an electric shock.  Not terribly painful, but different and noticeable.........prostate PSA is only 2.3 and I am in good shape, although 71.....look about 50 and feel so.  Would like some input before spending money at the hospital.  Thanks.  Don Ward  Pattaya, Thailand  don_ward83***@****    Sept. 3, 2009
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Your back contains gluteus muscles and the pain may be due to some direct impact, injury or due to pull or twist while walking, sleeping and you can recall how it started.
An examination with an orthopedician and a simple X-ray initially with some pain killers will help you out.
If you need follow up then the Orthopedician will guide you.

Take care!
i have a pain in the left buttox and behind the left knee. but the more i move around the less the pain is. but as soon as i stop moving the pain is there again