Exercise & Fitness Community
Painful leg lumps and swelling after running

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

I enjoy running and have been training for a marathon. For the last couple of months, I had been running daily increasing my distance to about 15 miles. After about 1/2 an hour, I would feel tenderness in my lower legs on the side, above the ankle. After I finished running it would usually go away. About a month ago , I went running for a few hours and couldn't walk afterwards with tremendous pain in the forementioned area. Sometimes I would get raised lumps in the area where there are usually 4 or 5 of them and warm to the touch with plenty of swelling around them. I have since stopped running, but took up walking instead for long distances after taking some time off (a week or so). Now, even walking causes the same condition and the raised lumps and lots of swelling. Is this bursitus? The symptoms seem related, but yet, it seems different because it is not swelling in the knee, ankle, shoulder as internet descriptions have stated. I would like to run, and at least, walk again for long distances. I'm going to take some down time for a few weeks and not do anything on my legs, but am wondering if I have permantly damaged from  tendons in my legs because they swell and become painful even after "easy" walks. Any advice would be appreciated.
i have long gotten lumps after running resulting from acerola vitamin C -- if take this in a supplement for a few days, or even use teas that contain acerola, it's guaranteed that the lumps will appear after running or other strenuous or even prolonged activities

you could be getting a specific reaction to something like this in your diet, it wouldn't necessarily have to be acerola -- chamomile is another common "irritant" (same family as sunflower)

one tremendous resource is Doris Rapp's book "Is This Your Child ?" -- many body reactions can occur from nearly any of the biological food families and classic allergists are NOT trained in the areas that Doris Rapp explores -- many reactions are very affecting in children and they can be more prominent in youngsters -- so this book is for ALL physiognomies, but uses reactions seen in children, some of them "problem kids", because these situations are very effective illustrations of the science under discussion

best wishes,

jerry