Exercise & Fitness Community
Peroneal tendon issue?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Peroneal tendon issue?

I ruptured a tendon in my calf a month ago. The Dr at the walk-in clinic I went to said it was a complete rupture of the (if memory serves) soleus tendon. It has since healed with no real attention. The pain was on the inside, middle portion of my calf, and when I tore it, it made a very clear tearing sound. About a week ago, my ankle has begun to to hurt whenever it is turned. From what I can tell, I am having issues with my peroneal tendon(s). The pain is around (mostly underneath) my ankle bone, on the outside. It's been swollen since I hurt my calf. The Dr I saw pointed it out, but we assumed it was from the torn soleus. The pain feels like I'm trying to stretch something that has no give, if that makes any sense. My ankle feels fine when it's straight, but as soon as I turn it, the pain starts, especially when I put it in an ?inverted position (outside edge of foot touching ground). It seems to 'crunch' (for lack of a better word) when it's moved, too.

What I'd like to know is whether or not this pain and swelling is from my original calf injury, and if so, how? There was no pain whatsoever when I hurt my calf, and it didn't seem involved at all. I am wondering if I should now have my ankle looked at, and if so, what to expect? I have three small children (I was chasing my youngest when my calf tore) so I don't really have a lot of time to spare unless it's absolutely necessary. Of course, I can't really afford to have an injury get any worse, either!

Any help would be appreciated.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

The Soleus muscle in the calf got ruptured so how did you have that injury?
If that is due to an accident then it might also have involved the ankle.
There might be a minor ligament tear at your ankle and this might not have healed.

The 2nd possibility is due to the calf injury the compromised position or gait must have involved an ankle problem.

It would be good to diagnose the problem in your ankle rather than probing for the cause as if it is a minor ligament tear you will recover with rest, ice packing and proper supportive shoes/boots.

For major ligament problem in the ankle you should follow up with your orthopedician.

Take care!