Exercise & Fitness Community
Possible Loose ACL?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Possible Loose ACL?

I've had two surgeries since the summer of last year on my ACL and I'm currently in recovery from the second surgery. Earlier this week I got my foot stuck in a hole in the pavement and my knee buckled.  Ever since then, my knee has felt loose every now and then, and I'm not sure if I have yet again, got a torn / damaged ACL.  My knee also hyperextends just a tad more than my other knee, although this isn't visably noticable.  It's just a small amount but still, I can feel it move back just a tad further (I'm thinking this is what is causing the looseness within my knee).  Also, my quad muscles are very weak because of two surgeries and not being able to recover completely.  I know the quad helps with the stability of the knee, but I'm not sure if working out my quads will help eliminate the looseness and help control my knee.

So, does it sound like I have damaged my ACL again (I know I can get an MRI but I was looking for just some opinions), have I hyperextended my knee, and is minor hyperextension reverseable without the need of surgery?

Any thoughts?
before u try working out.  why dont u first go and have an MRI just to be sure the doctor would allow you to train.. maybe u had pulled a muscle or something.. since u have a past surgeries.. i would reccomend  (if u had sufficient money) to go and have it checked before u train them.. and i remember once arnold's doctor said something like "bones after a surgery tends to double their qaulity.. whic means training it would be a great way... a once brken healed bone doubles its durabilty since it had been broken once.. im just not sure if this is credible but my brother had been lifting weight and had a broken bone before... get an MRI... (",)
I had acl sx this past dec. I was able to hyper extend my knee a alot before sx. My theropist said that you should be able to hyper extend your knees some. After sx I was able to hyper extend some but now not so much. The physical theropy really helps.  Maybe see about doing physical theropy. they will direct you on what you can and can't do and in stages.

Good luck
I've been doing physical therapy since July of last year, and I've gone through the same surgery twice and this is my second run-through of therapy, so I'm somewhat of a therapy-patient expert hahah.  

But I think you should have the ability to hyperextend your knee about 5 or so degrees, but my right knee goes a little more than that now.  My therapist and surgeon both say two things about how my knee should be up to this point, so it's a little frustrating as an athlete to have your medical advisors to be confused.  My patella tendon is acting up because the graft was taken from there, so my knee cap sits too low.  The tendon isn't controlling movement which makes it difficult to tell if my knee is loose, my nerves are firing back to life, or if my knee cap isn't working properly.  The surgeon says that the patella tendon will take about a year for it to control kneecap movement properly, and it's a pain waiting for that (been out of season for over a year now).

I compete in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (and I train in other areas of Martial Arts, and I also do mountain biking) and I want to make sure that I'll still be able to train /compete on the same level as before.

I just hope I didn't damage the fake ligament or stretch it out somehow.  I don't know if that is possible from minor knee hyperextension.  The therapist asked for me to wait a few weeks and see how it is because she thinks I might have irritated it a bit rather than damaging it completely.  Just wondering on anyone's opinion (I feel other people's experiences might be similar to mine and like to hear what they did / found out).

I appreciate the feedback by the way.