Exercise & Fitness Community
Protein Shakes and Energy Level

Our Exercise & Fitness community to help you take charge of your health. Ask a question, join a conversation, get tips: fitness, nutrition, and management tools / trackers.

Protein Shakes and Energy Level

Ok, I have recently found out I was born with only one kidney. I am considered to be overweight. I am 25 at 5 feet 2 inches, 154 lbs, and I wear a size 14 in jeans. I was planning on using some protein shakes to curve my snacking issues, but I'm worried that it may cause issues with my kidney and/or weight problem. I was told to stay away from ibuprofen and not to use certain medicines unless I run it by my doctor first.

As for my issue in coming here, I would like to get back into shape, even if I don't lose any pounds or inches. I just want to be able to run around outside with my daughter and play hide and go seek with her, without getting winded or getting winded or worn out when being 'intimate' with my husband. I have cut down on our red meat intake and I think it just made me gain weight through not being satisfied and having to snack until the next meal.  There are many times, like right now, I would like to run or walk on my treadmill but I feel exhausted or really tired and I haven't done anything other than the normal stay at home wife/mother of a 6-year-old job and studying to be a medical transcriptionist.

I also deal with panic attacks. I'm sensitive to Caffeine in any shape or form. It triggers my panic attacks quicker than being in a crowded room. I have thought about using the 5 hour energy shots, but then again I have the issue with my kidney. My Urologist never gave me any list of safe to eat or drink or bad to eat or drink. So, I don't know what I can and can't do.

Should I replace one of my meals with a protein shake? If it's safe to use with one kidney. Also, how can I get some energy going to get up and just exercise?  I have motivation, but there's no energy to get me moving.
Hey Miranda!

If you are sensitive to caffeine, you'd want to increase your vitamin B (complex) intake -  especailly Vitamin B12 & B6 - this will help increase and stabilize your energy levels. Try searching for a good B6-B12 supplement from a local pharmacy or nutrition store.

If your single kidney is functioning up to its optimum capacity (as much as it should), you are at no risk replacing one of your meals with a good quality protein shake but remember that your water intake should be adequate (/as per directed by your physician.)

I wish you all the best for getting to your next level of fitness!

Parth Adhyaru
http://www.bodyweightworkoutsystem.com/
Hey Miranda!

Parth Adhyaru
http://www.bodyweightworkoutsystem.com/
Thank you so much for your reply!  I will go check out this website right now.
Avatar dr m tn
Hi, you should not worry about having single kidney as many people are born with one kidney and happily live their life. The body only needs one kidney, and having a protein shake will not harm the kidney.  The damage to the kidneys (no matter how many do you have) comes when an individual begins taking in excessive amounts of protein.  This would be when the protein is more than 60% of the overall diet.  The higher the percentage, the higher the demand on the kidneys, and the increase of damage.
A protein shake after your workout would not be elevating your protein content anywhere near the dangerous range.  However, It is more important that you take in carbohydrates after your weight workouts - not protein.  The ideal ratio is 4 carbohydrate to 1 protein.
mishymoshymarcy There is a tiny part of me ... Comment
1 hr ago
Avatar n tn
cracker420 commented on When Your Cold Is Not...
mkh9 commented on Londres70's status
Achieve your weight goals
Exercise Tracker
Make exercise part of your routine