Exercise & Fitness Community
Pulled Chest Muscle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to fitness, aerobics, exercise, pilates, sports, and yoga.

Pulled Chest Muscle

Here's my Problem, on the right side of my chest muscle (almost under where the arm pit is) a sharp pain shoots through the right side of my chest when I land from jumping, or from my stride when running. It is also sore to the touch. These are the only times it hurts. I went through my normal chest routine with out any pain. What can I do to heal this? I just got hired by the Sherrif's office and need to take the Physical Agility Test. I will pass the test no problem but, I want to make it as painless as possible. Please o' please help!!!
Unfortunately there is no quick cure.  In the short term, to get over the pain of doing your test, I would take 3 ibuprofen twice a day.  This will reduce inflamation (inflammation) and also any pain.

Also you might consider a chest wrap to help support the muscle.

These are all short term solution.  Healing will only occur over time (3 to 6 weeks depending upon severity).
Thanks for your advice, I will do that.
Hi, i am into lifting and working out, and i rock climb all the time.  The last year almost, i have done nothing as far as working out.  I recently got back to college and last week, i started to lift(chest)... and i rock climbed the next 3 days in a row.  For a couple days after my chest was killing me and now the pain is gone, but my entire chest and half of my abs are all swollen up.  I dont know if i pulled my chest badly or what, but i was wondering if you could help me figure out what this is and if it will go away.

thanks toph
What do you mean by your chest and abs swollen up?

A severe tear could cause blood to pool.  If that were the case you would see bruising over time.

If it is a tear complete rest is in order.  I mean you can't do anything for nearly 8 weeks.
I recently injured my chest muscle working out, close to the armpit. Its a dull pain and someone suggested to me its a muscle tear. I hope a very minor tear. I mostly feel it when I flex. I have had it for the last 2 weeks. I have been massaging it as well as applying heat to it.

If anyone can tell me what else can I do to speed up recovery and how long does it last. Can the size of tear be somehow checked?
Did anyone else have a similar injury?

thanx
Tears come in various forms and degrees all of which take a different time to heal.  Technically all muscle pulls are tears, but severe tears are when muscles sever.  There can be bruising and swelling.

Typically a muscle strain/tear that is not serious will take about 3 to 4 weeks.  A more severe tear where there is bruising etc. might take up to 6 to 8 weeks.  The most severe tears may need surgery to reattach the muscle back together.

The best thing to do is simply nothing with that muscle for at least 2 weeks.  Then to start very slowly IF there is no pain.  Pain is a signal NOT to continue.  Some slight discomfort might be acceptable if it seems the muscle recuperates well.  However the possibility of reinjury is there, so one must be careful.

The rule of thumb is before any exercise apply heat and after apply ice, then heat.  This will help to some degree, but  there is really little to do other than rest.  Some apply electrical impulses to stimulate blood flow.  Some have tried acupuncture.  However most of the time it's just time.

Thank You very much "dquenzer". This info is very helpfull.

all the best to you

all the best to you
I was curious, I think I pulled my chest muscle on the left side while in training to become a kickboxing instructor.  Is that possible since no weights are involved?
hi i lift weights and about a month ago i start feeling a bad pain on the left side of my chest around the top part of the chest and a pain in my back like around the shoulder blade and a little bit up and the pain hurts me when i touch it,take a deep breath, or even sneeze or cough it hurts very bad.the pain waz so severe i decided to stop lifting after 2 days after the pain started so i waited about 7 days and the pain was completly gone so i waited 3 more days and started workin out again, after 4 days of very light workouts the pain was back and even worst then before so now here i am in my second week of doing absolutly nothing the pain is not that bad but its still there and i still feel it when i take deep breathes but thats mostly the only time when i feel it. i have iced it some but thats it. how long should it be before i can beable to workout, or should i go get an mri or what do you suggest. please help me.
I was just doing some tricep dips and (didn't warm up, I know) however at one point it felt like my chest overextended outward and popped and now it hurts when i take medium to deep breaths just to the right of the middle of my chest. I can spread my arms out with no pain but when I breath or turn my head to the left or right over my shoulder I am feel discomfort.  I work out regullary and do chest at the gym with weights once a week that is why I am in such shock at this injury and concerned.. please advise.
Well i need help. I have a really bad cough and somehow the docter said that i have pulled a chest muscle from all the coughing i have been doing. Do you know anything to help it as i am in pain when i breath and cough.
i used to run miles everyday for over 10yrs+  but the last 5yrs slowed right down and piled the weight on, a m8 of mine said col you need a run m8 so we went on one of our hard runs with steep hills we used to do, whilst running up one of those hills felt a pain in chest and it hasnt gone now  for nearly 2months  down the road ? been doctors had ecg or whatever not had a heart attack thank god ,but it dont rule out angina he said !! as i just turned 40 , but i feel it more muscle as hurts more when i turn round sit scrunched up etc , ....could i pulled a muscle with rapid arm movements whilst trying to get my large frame up hill??
Recently while liftting weights I felt a sharp pain on the middle of my chest discomforting enough to get me to drop my weights.  This took place on Friday and on Saturday I continued to feel the sharp pain especially when I take a deep breath - when I pull on anything and bend down .  I called my doctor and described the above and she suggested I take advil and discontinue weight lifting for some weeks until the symtoms (symptoms) are gone but said I can continue with cardiovascular work-out.  For a moment I thought I was experiencing a heart attack, I went to an online doctors check for symptoms website and it suggested I seek medical attention.  I felt a little bit at ease after I spoke to the doctor on call for the weekend shift.

Hello

I recently lifted a heavy television to the floor bending as i did it. Since then i have had a slight discomfort in my chest near my rib cage on the right hand side. The pain is not severe and comes and goes during the day, i think i have pulled a muscle but it has been here for 5 - 6 weeks now and i am getting concerned??? I havent taken anything for it which may explain the recovery time ?? i have no other symptoms which makes me think it is a muscle pull or tear
hello,  since a couple  of months ago I have been feeling like tear, discomfort,  in my   right chest, & under arm. It is not bad but it is there, I think is due to  yoga exercises  I started to  do with more strenght, like plank pose or chaturanga, where a lot of strenght is used by  the hands and arms. Hopefully  is that  and nothing bad, but I  am thinking to go to my  dr. so I can get an X ray  or some kind of exam.  any suggestions? thank you............
i was punched in my pectoral last week and on wednesday i had physio for my back, i think the physio pressed to hard on my chest and now my pec really hurts, if i cough it hurts if i take a deep breath it hurts and if i use my arm to get up from sitting it hurts, so my question is, is it just inflamed and what can i do to help it repair?
Thank you
i have had chest pains now for a few months, been to the doctors and was told everything was o/k and that it could be muscular pains in which i was given anti-flam tablets for, these have not helped any. the pain is worse now esp if i press on my chest but the pain is only in the centre, does anyone know what this could be or what i need to do.
thank you
My husband ruptured his pec off the humurous (bicep). He said he felt a snap and had no strength on that side. I met him at the er (what a joke that was). When we got home we looked at it. The side with the rupture was real full and his bicep looked weird and small. Went to an ortho the next day and he said this is the tear you want because he could repair it. That week we starting to see bruising on the inside of the bicep area.Had sx the next week. Took about 6 months for complete recovery. the dr said he would not be able to lift heavy for a while like at least a year. This past May he partcially tore the other side. the dr said he thinks he was over compensating due to the other tear. The dr said you will never be able to lift heavy again unless you want to completly tear the muscle. This was located between the nipple and under arm area. There was some bruising and I beleive it was in the arm pit area. so my husband still workes out but lifts much lighter and is very paranoid.
2-3 years ago i lifted for the first time. I benched a lot of weight and the next morning  i woke up with no joke a serious boob... only one side though.... i was sore on both sides, no pain whatsoever related to a tear or any bruising. Now i'm 22 and three years have passed and my left pectoral msucle is really big comapred to my right and is even more so when i lift for chest. the swelling goes down a little when i stay off of it but if i work out chest it is seriously noticable, almost scary.
During training I fell while running; A co-worker fell on top of my while i was on my stumach on my right side. I have no pain on my right but I have severe pain in my right pectoral area that is exaggerated with breathing and more with a cough.
How should I handle this? I hate hospitals but need answers.
Correction; I have no pain om my right side but have severe pain on my left side.
Please anyone with suggestions on how to fix or assist with my problem.
i play football and during one of my games i think i pulled my muscle  behind my buttuck down to the back of my keen and i need to no how can i get back on the field fast.
I got the flu really bad back when I was a weight lifter and I know just what your talking about. My doctor called it Chest Wall Syndrome. He said I literally tore my chest muscle away from my sternum. Every cough felt like a heart attack. He had me alternate hot and cold packs and take motrin, (but I had a friend with Lortab and it worked better).
Around may of this year I was working out bench pressing and I felt a sharp sudden pain in 1 of my sets, after that pain I stopped working out 4 that day. Afterward I rested 4 about 2 weeks and went bac 2 da gym an felt da pain once again I could workout threw the pain but days after the pain would get worst. I continued 2 work out here an there 2 see if the pain would go away but it hasn't. I stopped workin out completely 4 2months now an I feel like it is not getting any better. I think its a sprain but I'm not sure what can I do so that the pain can go away. It is on my right pec. Thanx
Some of you who haven't had X-rays and don't know for sure, could have a fracture in a rib or ribs.  Other than ice the first 24 hours to prevent swelling and inflammation and then heat or something like Tiger Balm, there's not much you can do but wait it out.  It will hurt a lot more when you sneeze, cough, twist, etc.  And once a rib's been broken, it's much more vulnerable to being broken yet again.  I broke a rib about three days ago.  I'm just using Tiger Balm Red and Tylenol (Aspirin and Motrin are okay, too) and walking and cycling a little.  No weights!

Whether it's a muscle or a rib, the pain will only go away with time.  You don't need to be immobile, but you do need to go lightly in order to avoid reinjuring the rib or muscle.  Nothing that pulls on the rib or muscle.

WARNING:  Do NOT ever "wrap" a rib or muscle that's around the chest.  Yes, it feels better if you do, but it inhibits deep breathing and emptying and refilling the lungs and can cause a bad infection, even pneumonia.  Despite the pain, it's important to take some deep breaths throughout the day.  If you have any swelling, coughing up blood, or a fever, you should see your doctor immediately.  Good luck to all (me, too!) in feeling better as fast as possible.
Hi, I ran for 3 miles the other day, but half way thru them, my chest began to hurt; the pain goes just over my heart, and a little to the right of it (torwards the center) it hurts whever I try to do something to increase my heart rate, and right now, it feels a little weird. What can this mean?
chest pain, related to muscle
#1- go get an x-ray, to make sure the ribs are fine and in place
#2 get an ultra sound on the chest area, one of the easiest and fast methods to find out if the muscle has a tear is an ultrasound
#3 apply heat and cold
#4 Avoid activities that are related to your chest, even lifting groceries
#5 avoid activities where you need to breath hard as this creates more stress on the muscle.
#6 although pain relievers such as Advil/tylenol help ease the pain and lower the swelling,  in the long run they slow down the healing process
#7 don't keep touching the muscle where it hurts, this makes you think about it more then you should and can lead to stress
#8 chest muscle tears take months to heal so do not expect instant results
#9 see a physio therpist
#10 GOOD LUCK
A couple of years ago I was having severe pain the the center of my chest. I thought I was having a heart attack. In the emergency room, I was given an EKG and several other tests, only to learn that I had a huge Hiatal Hernia. With the proper medicine, I am doing well. The lesson here is that severe pain can sometimes be something more serious than a pulled muscle, even though that is very painful as well.
The other day my son and I were at a baseball game - front row seats just past 1st base - a foul ball came rolling my way -  so I leaned over the wall to get it....  couldn't reach it so I leaned  little farther - all my weight is now on the wall and on the wall is my chest - I  feal and hear a pop pop and feel something move around.  I was sore that night but not in pain

the next day - a little more pain

The third day I almost couldn't make it out of bead.

Got x-rays - radiologist says nothing is broke...  laying to sitting is a 10 on the pain scale - sitting to standing is a 10  ---once upright pain is off and on - deep breaths hurt - walking does not hurt that much - bending over for something is out of the question..... Sitting on the toilet and give it a little more umph to get it out hurts like an SOB.

2 questions :

What the hell did I do?

What can I do to ease the pain?

Thank you  4borts
Hi there,

I am having really trouble breathing because every time i take a breath my chest and throat are in agony, my mum thinks i may have pulled a muscle in my chest as i have been doing alot more exercise than i usually do.
Does anyone know if this sounds like a pulled muscle?
If so do you know how to treat the pain?

I have experienced a similar muscle pull/tear in the upper left portion of my chest close to the armpit recently.  I incurred the injury doing weighted pullups.  I normally do high rep pullups with no weight, and have never felt any tension in my chest while doing them.  This was the first time that I had done weighted pullups in years, and I think the extra weight was too much of a shock for my chest muscle.  Anyways other than rest, does anyone know of a natural type of supplement or formula to help heal muscle injuries of this nature.
If you´re working your muscles to obtain muscle tone.
This article would be helpfull for you.
http://www.grupomayanfriends.com/muscle-tone/

Or get more info about excercise and fitness at:
http://www.grupomayanfriends.com
I have pain in my chest when I breath or move around. It feels much better if I lean forward or lie on my stomach with pillows supporting me. I do not have a cold (I was diagnosed last year with pneumonia, and the year before with pleurisy). The only strenuous thing I did was 10 push ups, about 20 sit ups, and maybe 5 minutes of some yoga type stretches (I'm only 29, and I do these kinds of exercises often). Still, I thought perhaps I had strained a muscle with the deep stretching. I had this same pain a few months ago, and it went away after 2-3 days and with lessened with advil. Should I be worried? This is the fourth time I've experienced chest pain in the past 2 years. If it's some kind of inflammation (lung or muscle) I'm assuming rest and advil should take care of it. I did have a brief bout with high blood pressure, but the doctor concluded that I had "white coat syndrome" and was just stressed by going to the doctor's office.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
If your breathing is intact and you feel good to breath and your breaths/min do not increase more than 20 it is fine.
After Pneumonia you have healing of lungs and it is painful if you do some strenous activity. If in your X-ray everything is clean and you have no problems with your lungs or in the respiratory tract you can start doing exercises slowly with the help of a Physiotherapist and increase the tempo till you are comfortable.
You can take anti inflammatory drugs to decrease the pain sometimes.
Take care and visit your Physician if you still do not feel good.
I was having severe chest pain, and did not know that I actually had a completely collapsed lung known as tension pneumothorax, a potentially life threatening condition. I had to have immediate surgery, and was in the hospital for a week. Apparently I have a pretty high pain tolerance, because the doctors couldn't believe I was walking around. I learned my lesson...don't mess around with chest pain, get it checked out. God bless.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Good to here that you had it diagnosed on time. Always visit a physician for examination if your pain does not subside, sometimes it might be an emergency. Diagnostic tools are very helpful. Take care and have a good recovery till you join active fitness regime.
hello, I am a 44 yr old female who just this morning got up to start my day and like most mornings was stretching my arms backwards while talking to my daughter and all of a sudden something popped or snapped ( I actually heard it!) and instantly severe pain shot from my armpit across my chest. It has been several hours since this happened but it isn't getting any better.  I can't imagine how ridiculous I would feel telling my dr. that I guess I stretched too hard trying to wake up but that is what I was doing and it's hard to believe that that simple task is causing me so much pain.  There is major pressure across the right side of my chest and the right armpit is terribly sore to the touch.  I've spent the day in and out of tubs of hot water trying to relieve the pain...used icy hott ointment and have used the heating pad.  Does anybody know what I could have hurt just simply stretching awake???
Avatar_dr_m_tn
You need manipulation of your joint, visit an orthpaedician and completete the procedure for relief from symptoms. Take care!
Thanks for your help....today it feels some better.  Still quite a bit of pressure in that area tho.  What exactly did I pull/tear/rip or whatever happened?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The shoulder joint is a ball and socket joint. The head of the humerus goes into the glenoid cavity and anterior dislocation is common. It results in direct force pushing the humerus head out of the glenoid cavity, as it occured in your case it might be partial.
It can be corrected by simple manipulation and in complete shoulder dislocation it has to be manipulated under general anaesthesia.
You can know the problem by : the affected joint does not look similar as the other side by examination, it is difficult to touch the opposite shoulder, X-ray will give complete picture.
Take care!
I have some chest pain in the left sid eof my chest.  It doesn't hurt when I breath, it doesn't hurt when I exercise, and it's only become tender to the touch since I've been massaging it roughly with my knuckle.  The pain feels like a muscle pain but the only exercise I do is running.  Could the motion in my arms from taking strides possibly pull a muscle in my chest?  It has been a few days and ibuprofen did provide a little relieve.  I have no family history of hear disease, am only slightly overweight, have had a history of high tryglicerides but have that under control and do not have high cholesterol.  I am 30 years old.  I am not light-headed nor do I have any discomfort when exercising.  Muscle strain in my left chest from running????  Please help!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

It is always good for you to go for a routine check up of your cardio vascular and chest as you have risk factors in your lipid profile and as you are a little over weight.

If everything is normal then rest and ibuprofen would be enough to relieve the pain.

In the future try to maintain a proper normal BMI with proper dietary habits and exercise.

Take care!

Hi, about six weeks ago I was doing some skipping and waist rotation after a bag workout. A couple of days after I started to feel discomfort in my right side when lying down and stretching. Upon touch it is sore(Like pushing a bruise but no visible bruising) around the bottom right side of the rib cage area and toward the back. Although I took diclafenic for two weeks the pain is still there. Is this indicative of a muscle tear ? No breathing issues, feel great in myself, walking etc ok. Thankyou ! PS: 52 years old.  
i'm also suffering from chronic pain now for two weeks.  I think this covers it and there is no apparent cure other than pain medication while you wait for it to heal.  meanwhile, I can't stop breathing.  It *****.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/costochondritis/DS00626
$#!T i think i pulled a muscle in my  chest at soccer practice, it hurts when i run, kick, and much more stuff. i might be out the whole season is there any quick cure? PLEASE COMMENT
Last year August 2009 while i was at work I got a really sharp pain in my right side so bad i could not breath i could hardly stand. I finally made it home and took some ibuprofen and went to bed. The next day I could not get out of the bed and my dad came and got me to take me to the doctor. They said i had a strained muscle. After seeing several doctors and 2 pain blocks, and lets not forget the emergency visits, and 7 weeks later i finally went back to work. Still experiencing lots of pain and a few more trips to see doctors and er visits i decided to make a change in my career hoping to get well. Ok its now November 2010 and I still hurt now just as much as i did then. The doctor said he doesn't understand why i still hurt so now I am living with this pain and no doctor. Does anyone have any answers?
I have been experiencing a tender left pectoral muscle for over a year. I have been to the emergency room 3 different times and done every exam under the sun. No dr. Can give me an answer as to why my chest still hurts. I have problems sleeping, problems being productive because the pain is constantly there. I have fallen into a deep depression and I always have anxiety it has taken over my life. I have gone to a chiropractor and she believes I have some displaced ribs. I got a deep tissue massage about a week ago and now my armpit area feels sore. It's a never ending battle. The dr.  prescribed xanax, anti inflamatories, and antibiotics. Haven't been able to work over a month. I could go on and on. I need some advice. Maybe a Dr in the Los Angeles area reads this and could help me. I'm desperate its really starting to affect my family life and I don't want to loose them. My e-mail is ***@**** I have good insurance so help me please

A few days ago I did pull-ups at the gym for the first time and I think I overdid it since almost near the 10th one I felt a pain in my chest on the left side and now after 4 days or so it hurts to touch in that area, hurts to move around, especially while trying to sleep and it hurts when I breathe. Can anyone please tell me if I have pulled a muscle or it's something else that's more serious? Thanks!
Hey, I just started concentrating on building muscle in my pectorals and when I worked out in the gym today on the chest press and this often happens, i get like a spasm in my right pec when its being flexed, i was only lifting 43kg. Every time I go to work out my pecs I get a sharp pain and completely stop the work out. This is getting really annoying me now, someone pleeease help me out!  
I am having Chest pain for last 6 months and its swollen. sometimes I dont have it completely.the pain is tolerable and if I take rest it goes away.I m not willing to figure it out that what it is...........my physician said may be its a pulled muscle due do some heavy works. can someone helps me out???
Hi I am having chest pain so i went to the ER and they said that the muscles that hold my ribs together are inflamed how long does it take to cure for a football player?
HI i am feeling  like having a weight  on my left side of the chest (heart), and some time a jerk of pain appers  on the left side,also in the back pain someone please help me out
My fiance has worked out all his life,however,he broke his ankle water skiing and started using crutches.one morning at the gym he feels a stinging behind his shoulder blade while doing lateral pull downs .now he doesn't have strength in certain exercises .the upper peck is totally gone! how does a peck just disappear over night? hes seen chiropractors nothing seems to work.he is becoming depressed.what can I do to help him?