Push-ups and chest surgey
I've considered doing some push-up's to help build up my upper body however I don't know what stresses there are and to what.  I had heart surgery 7+ months ago, This cuts through the muscle and sternum and then the use of a wire to hold the sternum together and lets the muscles and skin heal on their own.  My exorcising is nothing more than walking two miles when ever the weather is nice, however this only works the legs.  I'd like to work my upper body on days the weather - ain't so nice.  My problem is I don't know what stresses are involved on the rib cage/sternum and the muscles.  Grant it this question ~might be~ better suited for another forum but the direct relevance to anatomy mechanics this forum provides might be just as good(?) plus I can use the info provided here in the other forum when I ask the same question there.

Not knowing enough about the mechanics involved I don't know what questions or other information I should ad, all I do need, that I can think of, is what stress mechanics are involved in push-up's in regards to the chest?
Hello

With cardiac surgery only 7 months ago any form of pressure on the chest cavity is a strict no.

You cannot do any weight bearing or any form of push ups or pull ups which give you direct pressure on your chest cavity.

I can suggest to you to go for floor exercises and concentrate on your upper abdomen and lower abdomen.

You can also do some mild weights for your arms but do not put any pressure on your chest cavity till you have your annual follow up and your cardiac surgeon certifies that you are safe and sound to try any form of exercise.

Take care!